• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

You can, and i still don't care. Moving on.
Then please actually move the conversation along.

For instance, I'm genuinely curious on why you think the game looks cheap.

Like I've said multiple times, I agree that it's far from the best graphically, that the chibi style as done in the trailer isn't very good, and that it does seem like a step back compared to Legends or even Sword and Shield, but what are the actual complaints you have?

Is it a lighting problem or do you think it's a more fundamental issue? Do you think the cell-shading that some people mentioned here could be an improvement to the way the graphics currently are?

What are some of the chibi style games you've mentioned before that you feel are done in a better style?

I think you mentioned free to play games before which you feel are better looking, which game is it? Because some free to play games like say, Genshin Impact or Fortnite are actually rather expensive to make and they can only afford to be free to play due to market expectations and a radically different monetization scheme (although I'll happily admit that a lot of the budget for those game is probably server / back-end related and not necessarily in the front-end).

Is it an improvement over the last games? I don't think so. Sword and Shield look light years ahead of Gen4 remakes graphics wise. I'd love to hear what Masuda and this ILCA studio think about this. How would you treat a mainline pokemon game? Like I said, I don't think these remakes are their biggest priority.

Sources:
Here's the thing: Gens 1-5 games were all linear. There was no way to walk diagonal. So you can't really redo it unless you redo it completely. But I'm sure this is to save time, especially for the Legends game instead.

Edit: D/P remakes should be more compared to Let's Go than Sword/Shield.

We went from this
View attachment 140460

to this
View attachment 140461

Is it an improvement over the last games? I don't think so. Sword and Shield look light years ahead of Gen4 remakes graphics wise. I'd love to hear what Masuda and this ILCA studio think about this. How would you treat a mainline pokemon game? Like I said, I don't think these remakes are their biggest priority.

Sources:

They probably aren't the biggest priority, yes. To be honest, the simple fact they've outsourced what most people would classify as a core series game is probably a sign that they aren't that serious about this project.

The ILCA thing is confusing to me on another level though, like, looking at games in their library they seem to be able to do realistic stuff well, actually. Even their more cartooney entries like Dragon Quest XI look more like Sword and Shield than BDSP.

I wonder why they didn't reach out to Grezzo - they were the ones that did Link's Awakening for the Switch which seems to be much closer to the way BDSP is trying to go in my opinion (and better than the current chibi style).

As mentioned by Neal, it's possible that the massive art style shift was because they didn't want to change the map grid-like structure but if I recall correctly but for the most part ORAS had that "3D-ish style" without a lot of changes to the original maps.

We went from this
View attachment 140460

to this
View attachment 140461

Sources:

We went from this:
775858131a8d1bdc5485a15fc8a06de6.jpg

To this:
Screenshot_20210228-114305.jpg
That is a major improvement.

Also, I remember back during the XY prerelease that this was the game people wanted. Something that looked super close to the sprite bases games because the XY proportions put people off.

Is it an improvement over the last games? I don't think so. Sword and Shield look light years ahead of Gen4 remakes graphics wise.

I mean, in terms of graphical fidelity I’d say there’s really not much of a difference here. The difference is just in the style and scale of each game, and naturally that’s going to appeal to people differently, but that’s a separate issue from whether or not the style is executed in a qualitative way.

There’s things I really like about SwSh’s graphics, but in this example, I’m actually not a big fan of the pink tint everything seems to have, and so I prefer the more natural tones of BDSP. Similarly, the textures in SwSh can get rather muddy in certain places. SwSh’s battle scenes look light-years better than BDSP’s, though. I also prefer the scale of SwSh, but I assume, like Circus said, that they probably wanted something closer to the original games’ scale in order to preserve the map layouts and location designs, which is something that the promotional material thus far has put an emphasis on. Which, fair enough, I think.

(Also, let’s not forget that there’s been a sizable contingent of people shitting on SwSh’s graphics for the last two years, so it’s very possible for someone to look at the top image and think it’s rubbish too. Like, for real, I have seen people make the exact same “I’ve seen F2P mobile that looks better!” remark about SwSh so I don’t even know where we’re at anymore.)

Last edited:
Btw, you guys remember when OR/AS had a mythical pokemon in-game? Deoxys. Then Sword/Shield have a live mythical pokemon in-game too, Keldeo. I'm predicting a trend here too, possibly Darkrai. Both of them being in a post-game role.

Also Fire Red/Leaf Green had expanded places, the Sevii Islands, I'm expecting the same here, like probably parts of Russia, where Darkrai may have some sort of post-game role, as a live-in mythical.

The first time i've watch the trailer I was disapointed, I didn't like the graphic. But after a day of thinkin and a day of watching videos about that game, I might now be interested. My 3Ds does not work anymore, so I can't play diamond. And the fact that those graphics looks like they've tried to replicate the Ds graphic but with a 3d touch is kinda interesting. In some parts of the video it's look like the original game but with updated graphics, and I think it was their goal. I might not buy them day one,wich will be a first for me, but if the games have some iinteresting new features and Megas, I will surely buy them.

Also Fire Red/Leaf Green had expanded places, the Sevii Islands, I'm expecting the same here, like probably parts of Russia, where Darkrai may have some sort of post-game role, as a live-in mythical.

While it is true that every remake (bar LGPE) has added new locations, to me that seems pretty optimistic for what this game seems to be going for. Specifically in regards to Darkrai, it already has a sort of mission with lore from the originals, so all they’d really need to do is let us travel to Newmoon Island after curing Eldritch’s son. Same for Shaymin and letting us visit the Flower Paradise after going on the partner quest with Marley.

If there’s a post-game storyline in these games, I would expect it to revolve around Giratina (and maybe Arceus, but with the upcoming Legends game, Arceus will be getting plenty of spotlight already), since the climax is pretty clearly going to stick to either Dialga or Palkia. Giratina deserves a little more than just being unceremoniously shoved in a cave like in the original DP.

Btw, you guys remember when OR/AS had a mythical pokemon in-game? Deoxys. Then Sword/Shield have a live mythical pokemon in-game too, Keldeo. I'm predicting a trend here too, possibly Darkrai. Both of them being in a post-game role.

Oh yes, give Darkrai the Deoxys treatment. Expanded storyline and being able to catch it without some stupid event.

I'm totally not biased because Darkrai is one of my favorite pokemon.

I feel like Darkrai would be saved for Legends. Especially if like the Harbor Inn dates back to the time.

If anything, maybe they will expand upon Giratina, have a Distortion World post game. Maybe you get a Manaphy egg kicking off the post-post game of raising a Manaphy and a Phione.

I’d even go as far as to say that only Pokémon present in Platinum have a decent chance of being included in these games, so no National Pokédex. The reason being is that this seems to be a more closed-off game like LGPE, where the only ‘mons that could be brought into the game were from GO. However, BDSP aren’t tied to GO in the same way that LGPE was (that we know of), and I highly doubt SWSH and Legends will have compatibility for obvious reasons. Therefore, I think it’s unlikely that we’ll see the National Pokédex because there’ll be no other compatible games with which to trade with.
I feel like all games are going to be closed off from now on just so TPCI can milk Dexit for all it’s worth via Home.
With that being said, I feel like fans were going to complain no matter what, people have become very displeased with GF. Also, on a more meta note, the fanbase might become increasingly divided about what they want out of future games: Open world vs Traditional.
I personally think that’s why TPCI seem to be playing it safe with BDSP considering what we know about it thus far.
If there’s a post-game storyline in these games, I would expect it to revolve around Giratina (and maybe Arceus, but with the upcoming Legends game, Arceus will be getting plenty of spotlight already), since the climax is pretty clearly going to stick to either Dialga or Palkia. Giratina deserves a little more than just being unceremoniously shoved in a cave like in the original DP.
I was thinking more along the lines of this: Cyrus’s end-goal is to get both Dialga and Palkia, but decides to start with one of them at a time in order to test the effectiveness of the Red Chain. Having even one of them sets Giratina off and makes it whisk Cyrus away into the Distortion World, leaving us to deal with our box mascot going berserk (catching it becomes mandatory).

In the post game, we end up getting spatial distortions (BD) or temporal fluctuations (SP) because, lo and behold, Cyrus figured out how to use the Distortion World to access the opposite legendary and subjugate it to his will. Once we fix the problems throughout the region, we figure out that we can go to Turnback Cave and enter the Distortion World there. After completing physics-defying puzzles, we confront Cyrus and stop him for good, freeing the other legendary to go back home. Giratina is so grateful that it gives you a chance to battle it.

Last edited:
Alright, while the movement is on a grid, you can still move diagonally, so that at least compensates it. Also, about the Poketch, I see it returning by just looking at the wrists on the protagonists.

First thing is that you dropped a "for me". The FTP mobile games look better for you, are more polished for you, are more appealing for you.

Second thing, you're assuming the price. While I do agree that it'll likely be in the 60 USD range because that's the price a lot of Switch games are, it's still an assumption. And a game being "free to play" only means that it has a different way to get money, not that it has a smaller budget.

Third thing is that it's fine to feel frustrated about that. But the problem isn't "it's cheap" or "it's cheap looking", it's "I think they could have done better with the same amount of money or less" (which I'd say it's a bit debatable myself, but sure). They're most definitely not the same thing.

That's another problem that isn't "it's cheap(looking)", the problem here is "it'll likely be overpriced". Again, I'm not saying you shouldn't or can't be mad about the game. I'm saying that you can and should articulate better why you're frustrated with the game.

"It's overpriced", "It's overly stylized", "It's behind industry standards" are all fine reasons to be frustrated and convey a lot more information besides saying "it's cheap".

We all know it will be 60 USD (so like 80 CAD) and people will buy it anyways.

For me, I don’t mind the chibi style. Link’s Awakening looked great.

Please compare how this game looks to how Link’s Awakening looks. Compare the roughness of the player sprites to how good and smooth Chibi Link looks. How unprofessional the shading looks on the player and Pokémon in the battles to how those same models (more or less) look in SwSh battles.

You can be excited for these games and choose to not find fault with these issues, but please own up to that instead of attacking or getting mad at others that are pointing out how these games are falling short.

I'm curious about Pal Park's appearance in the remakes. Can't exactly use it like in Gen IV due to HOME, unless of course you're required to recapture Pokemon sent from HOME. That'd be a wild idea lol
Maybe it'll be a go park so we can transfer more Pokemon from go for free like we can when we transfer to lets go.

I agree that the gameplay is where the game's potential shows.

The thing is, given that they announced this to be faithful remakes, people who played DP(Pt) before know what to expect in terms of gameplay. Unless there are huge changes - but then that wouldn't be a faithful remake.

So I also understand why visuals are the deciding factor for some people.

Oh yes, give Darkrai the Deoxys treatment. Expanded storyline and being able to catch it without some stupid event.

I'm totally not biased because Darkrai is one of my favorite pokemon.
I feel like Darkrai would be saved for Legends. Especially if like the Harbor Inn dates back to the time.
Fun fact: there's unused data in Diamond and Pearl of a roaming Darkrai, implying that, like its counterpart, Cresselia, Darkrai was originally planned to be encountered as a roaming Pokémon, before it was given its own island to reside on.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom