• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I agree that the gameplay is where the game's potential shows.

The thing is, given that they announced this to be faithful remakes, people who played DP(Pt) before know what to expect in terms of gameplay. Unless there are huge changes - but then that wouldn't be a faithful remake.

So I also understand why visuals are the deciding factor for some people.

The only time the word faithful is used is referring to the look and feel of the game. Not to mention that, even with that, we're still getting Platinum only NPCs and pretty water textures.

As I look at the graphics style... How can I put it - It's trying to be multiple entirely opposite stylizations at once, and it feels too inconsistent and offputing as a result.

It wants to be modern-anime in terms of the battles, yet also wants to be incredibly retro-nostalgic with the overworld proportions. They want to use the 2 forms together as a way to make it look like an older game in 3D HD graphics. But even more, they want to unify the entire artstyle between the contrasting proportions with the same shading and HD polycount across battles and the overworld.

The issue is that early 2D graphics games did the chibi overworld for gameplay due to practical graphics limitations, and to scale everything down to fit on tinier screens. They never meant to look heavily detailed and high poly - They were supposed have just the right amount of detail to represent each character and asset, until we get to zoom in to the more detailed representations of them and their actions.

Now, one might think "HEY! Link's Awakenings remake was chibi, and it worked great! No double standards!" However, that game didn't scale up Cute Link's proportions in the gameplay - The whole game had the models with fixed scaling. That added unity and consistency in the artstyle, as you were always playing as an adorable chibi throughout the lifetime of the game.

The BDSP scaling feels offputting because the supposedly "necessary" scaling between the overworld and battle scene of the days of olde no longer is in a fullfledged, large screen HD era of today. And it makes us look at the overforms not as the 'just enough detail representation' sprites - but as weird forms you must become until a pokemon appears, and you finally get to grow up into your "True" form of realistic proportions!

I mean, that did happen in Gen 6 - your overworld sprite was in smaller proportions than in trainer ID, cutscenes, etc. However, the contrast in proportions wasn't that severe. You were scaled, but not in a weird, overboard manner - and it was also due to various graphics issues that game freak had to figure out when they decided to go full overworld scaling in Gen 7. Thus, I can somewhat forgive the 3D chibi's used that way.

I.e.: Trying to have your cake and eat it too with scaling doesn't work well with these remake graphics.

Last edited:
Okay so when are we due for next Pokemon news? Corococo magazine?

CoroCoro hasn’t really been a source of breaking main series news for a long time now.

Based on previous prerelease tempos, the earliest we can probably expect to hear more is around May or June, unless they decide to surprise us (but there’s no way of predicting that).

CoroCoro hasn’t really been a source of breaking main series news for a long time now.

Based on previous prerelease tempos, the earliest we can probably expect to hear more is around May or June, unless they decide to surprise us (but there’s no way of predicting that).
Well aside from the D/P remakes news, I'm sure we will hear other news before then. Like when the Zarude movie will come out in English, the next mythical pokemon reveal, or a 2nd live movie after Detective Pikachu. Hoping Corocoro will be good for that.

The whole recreation into a chibi format for a more authentic experience is a load of trash considering no other remakes have done this. Pokemon is also a company that grosses billions each year, yet this game looks like it was developed on a shoe-string budget. You don't have to be venom against Gamefreak or the Pokemon Company to demand better standards. One of the joys of remaking these games is modernizing it. Redesigning characters, adding new features, etc. We are not getting any of that. Kanto, Johto and Hoenn games added so much to their regions and we're not getting any of it. How can TCPI demand $60 for a low effort remaster that will sell millions when they sold previous remakes for less, and had more? How can anyone justify this? I know it won't happen, but if TCPI and Gamefreak had any respect left for the franchise, they would cancel these remakes and work on them when it's ready. There will never be a sinnoh remake again - this is it. And it should not be this. The games are rushed, the pricing practice is anti-consumer, and we are not getting the same privileges as fans of other regions did.

I just realized there's quite a bit more footage in the Pokemon Presents that isn't in the main trailer. You can see a bit more of the overworld and what the characters look like when they walk around within it. The way Dawn and Lucas walk is very reminiscent of how their old sprites moved, except a bit more smooth and fluid. And the way some of the NPCs walk back and forth is just like original games too.

Also, look at the Lake Verity shots - that's easily the most realistic water we've ever seen in a main series game.

The visual style of these games is growing on me. I still think there's something not quite right about the shading in the battles - the human characters' faces aren't very clear because there's no outlines. But that wide shot of Floatzel and Staraptor facing each other in battle actually looks quite nice.

The whole recreation into a chibi format for a more authentic experience is a load of trash considering no other remakes have done this.

There wasn’t the same kind of disparity in scale with previous remakes compared to the newest games at the time.

FRLG and HGSS were during the sprite era so they were following the same ubiquitous grid-based, top-down format as all the other games up to then

XY were in 3D but still had chibi-ish proportions, so ORAS did too. XY was also still using mostly grid-based, top-down maps

And LGPE actually regressed from SM/USUM’s more realistic scaling to something a little more cartoonish, closer to XY/ORAS.

I would like to point out that if the game really had a low budget they’d probably just be using straight up sprites.
1614383680331.png

I think the point here is that compare the two games. Even compare it with Sword and Shield. One of these games should not cost $60.

The overworld is stylized. It's always been since even ORAS had somewhat shrunken down models compared to XY.

But you know something, the battles in BDSP have full sized models and dynamic backgrounds with their own lighting, right? There was a lot of thought put into the game.

View attachment 140466
I think the point here is that compare the two games. Even compare it with Sword and Shield. One of these games should not cost $60.
LGPE looks better, I guess? But the Sinnoh games have more content than LGPE (or any of the Kanto games for that matter), so I'd honestly consider the DP remake to be the better deal.

Even compared to FRLG, LGPE is... ehhh. I liked it, but LGPE cost far too much for what it was. 60 dollars for Kanto again? It lacked some stuff added in FRLG, and the post-game wasn't all that enticing, in my opinion. Aside from a few changes in battle and catching mechanics, it was also a near 1:1 Kanto remake.

Depending on the how the DP remake turns out, I also might not think it's worth 60$, but from a content perspective, I'd easily pay more for a Sinnoh game for a Kanto game any day.

I remember back then when everyone complained about the absence of the BF in oras, it was an excellent game with many additions and yet only for one thing people complained. In those days we all wanted the best for the franchise and criticizing was fine.
now it's full of people defending tpc as if they have stocks there. It's okay to express that you liked the game, but to say that we only complain because we like to complain as if the game has nothing wrong, that's wrong. the game has, from my point of view, two major flaws, one subjective and the other objective. the subjective one is the visual style, which may or may not be liked, but I think it is very objectionable that they have chosen to take that direction, when we have been with the same artistic style for many years, it is not as if they had made DP as new games today they would have done it with chibi models, the art direction was always clear and the grace of a remake is to update the game to the graphics of the current generation, but despite that, it is somewhat subjective.
the second flaw, is the lack of content, we don't know everything about the game yet, but I think it's clear that it's going to be a DP copy, I doubt they'll add anything new and it's honestly a bit naive to get their hopes up, they couldn't even redesign the protagonists, I doubt that they are going to bother adding new things. not to mention that it probably doesn't have compatibility with the other games. it is basically a lets go but with the usual capture form. this without all the information, I could be wrong. the treatment they are giving him is almost like a spin off game and that as a fan of the fourth gen makes me very sad.
It's amazing how just a couple of days ago the discussion revolved around things like whether dynamax or the wild area should be included and now it's about whether it should look chibi or not. or that until a couple of years ago we were clear about how a remake should be and this would have been unacceptable. I am impressed by the number of people who justify everything that tpc does and think this is fine, even chibis models do not look well made when compared to other games. What bothers me the most is that this was not due to being lazy or lack of time, because they have resources, they did this because it was a decision, they decided to take this path and that is what disappoints me the most, the path they took disappoints me .
Finally, express if you did not like the game, do not settle, it is okay to criticize, although many of those who want to make you believe otherwise, we have been leaving money in the franchise for years, we are in our right to express what we do not like and say if is we think they are taking the wrong path, that's because we love the series and we care about it. vote with your pocket, if you don't like it, don't buy it, or finally buy it second-hand.
And for all those who said that this is what we wanted, a game without changes, it is not like that, we only wanted a traditional remake with swsh graphics, the remakes of a lifetime, we deserved that and it makes me very sad that never anymore let's have a dp like that, we missed a good game, thank you very much for reading and sorry for my bad english.

LGPE looks better, I guess? But the Sinnoh games have more content than LGPE (or any of the Kanto games for that matter), so I'd honestly consider the DP remake to be the better deal.

Even compared to FRLG, LGPE is... ehhh. I liked it, but LGPE cost far too much for what it was. 60 dollars for Kanto again? It lacked some stuff added in FRLG, and the post-game wasn't all that enticing, in my opinion. Aside from a few changes in battle and catching mechanics, it was also near 1:1 Kanto remake.

Depending on the how the DP remake turns out, I also might not think it's worth 60$, but from a content perspective, I'd easily pay more for a Sinnoh game for a Kanto game any day.
Personally, I think the let's go games should have been $40, but it does have a lot more content then the DP remakes. It has following pokemon, ridable Pokemon, overworld pokemon, flying pokemon, trainer customization, and shoulder pokemon. The Sinnoh games will have none of this. Meaning both games will have the core experience, but the difference being the sinnoh games will be longer because there's a story there, but in terms of content, it will have far less. If DP Remakes somehow have all of this, i will be happy to admit that it has more content. But I doubt it... unfortunately.

The whole recreation into a chibi format for a more authentic experience is a load of trash considering no other remakes have done this.
Literally every single remake has used the chibi artstyle in some form, even LGPE, a Switch game, so I'm not sure why you're claiming something so blatantly false.

Personally, I think the let's go games should have been $40, but it does have a lot more content then the DP remakes. It has following pokemon, ridable Pokemon, overworld pokemon, flying pokemon, trainer customization, and shoulder pokemon. The Sinnoh games will have none of this. Meaning both games will have the core experience, but the difference being the sinnoh games will be longer because there's a story there, but in terms of content, it will have far less. If DP Remakes somehow have all of this, i will be happy to admit that it has more content. But I doubt it... unfortunately.
Sinnoh, at the very least, has
  • Battle tower
  • Post-game areas
  • Secret bases and the Underground
  • Stat trainer pair-ups
  • Contests

While following and overworld pokemon are neat, they do not add any playable content to the game and are purely cosmetic.

Sinnoh has far more playable content than Kanto, and for me, that is what gives the game it's worth.

Literally every single remake has used the chibi artstyle in some form, even LGPE, a Switch game, so I'm not sure why you're claiming something so blatantly false.
False, considering FRLG and HGSS were sprite based works. ORAS were scaled down chibi models (same as Let's go) while DP remakes are extremely scaled down Chibi models. There isn't a single remake that looks like DP remakes.
1614396099717.png

Sinnoh, at the very least, has
  • Battle tower
  • Post-game areas
  • Secret bases and the Underground
  • Stat trainer pair-ups
  • Contests

While following and overworld pokemon are neat, they do not add any playable content to the game and are purely cosmetic.

Sinnoh has far more playable content than Kanto.

Hey, you don't have to convince me. Sinnoh are my favourite games and I know how great the games are and how the contents stack up. But the difference here is that Pokemon Yellow didn't have any of these features barring Following Pokemon. Ridable Pokemon, overworld Pokemon, flying pokemon, etc. They were all added into the game to enhance the experience. The sinnoh games won't feature anything like this (except maybe megas, but let's go had that too).

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom