• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

So is "We saw one trailer" our catchphrase now or what?
Seems like it...

tbf, the original Diamond & Pearl were garbage but they sold for full price too :D
Yeah. There were certainly many problems with the originals. I am positive that the remakes will fix most if not all the issues.

Not much, probably. Depending on whether they decide to release BotW 2 this year it might not even matter at all.

tbf, the original Diamond & Pearl were garbage but they sold for full price too :D
The originals had notable design flaws but also made some huge strives forward in the basic mechanics (Second special split, new moves for underpowered types) that helped move the series forward, but new features from remakes never seem to last.

The originals had notable design flaws but also made some huge strives forward in the basic mechanics (Second special split, new moves for underpowered types) that helped move the series forward, but new features from remakes never seem to last.

I was mostly being facetious there. :X3:

Lets go only sold 12 million and it had a lot more going for it than these games.

LGPE are still in the top 10 best selling Switch titles. Even if they only sell 8 million they are still well in the top 15. Either way, these games are going to be viewed as a success. Legends will undoubtedly sell more though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Legends was supposed to be released this year, but with COVID delays they couldn't do it, so they comissioned the fasted possible remake for DP to get something out this year.
That's and interesting theory. I think its more likely these games look the way they do because GF:
1) knew everyone would hate on the graphics no matter what and did not want to rock the boat too much.
2) wanted to make Legends.

I agree with you though, Gen 4 is so great and I'm disappointed.

I think in the case of BDSP, the art style is more of the real issue with people than the graphics (although I do think the graphics look a bit rough in some areas). Also, I do not think that SwSh were necessarily "cheaply made" however they sure were not adequately made. It is clear they were rushed out.

Graphics don't determine whether a game is good or not. A game can look as beautiful as it wants to, but it would all be negated by bad gameplay.

Gameplay always takes priority over graphics.
I agree, sure SwSh may not be the best looking games, but the core battle mechanics has universal appeal and as long as they don't mess with that I think people will continue to buy the games.

I wouldn't be surprised if Legends was supposed to be released this year, but with COVID delays they couldn't do it, so they comissioned the fasted possible remake for DP to get something out this year.

I definitely feel like COVID impacted the Pokémon games in one way or another, added onto the fact that, being the 25th anniversary, there's gotta be something or people will be mad.

I wonder: If Legend's Arceus was never announced, would the Diamond and Pearl Remakes be made in the style of Sword and Shield? I have a feeling that the only reason that they are made with that style, is because it would be odd to have two games set in the same region and have the same style.

I wonder: If Legend's Arceus was never announced, would the Diamond and Pearl Remakes be made in the style of Sword and Shield? I have a feeling that the only reason that they are made with that style, is because it would be odd to have two games set in the same region and have the same style.

I do think Legends is basically them saying "here's your SwSh-style Sinnoh" and using the radical concept of the game to justify any significant changes that they have to make to the landscape and layout of the classic region, which doesn't readily translate to the scale of SwSh. It gives them a broad license to take liberties with how the region is structured. While BDSP is a sort of compromise. Like if Mt. Coronet gets neutered in Legends, at least BDSP will still present the version of it that you remember, which it's more easily able to do because the scale of the map is closer to the original DP.

I feel like it's a faithful Sinnoh remake because they knew people wouldn't shut up about there not being a faithful Sinnoh remake after the changes made to ORAS. They also probably wanted to see how old style graphics would go over with the fans, since back during Gen 6, people were still not used to the 3D yet and wanted the old style back. Some people were vocal about it all the way through ORAS.

Legends was probably already being worked on during the DLC. I mean it's possibly hinted at during the Isle of Armor in Kubfu's back story. So Legends was happening regardless.

Last edited:
I have never seen this much praise for LGPE and SwSh until these games were announced. It's actually kind of funny :LOL:

To be fair it always works like this.

New games comes out > everyone shits on it > new games come out > Those get shat on > Games before that suddenly get some praise > new games release > game from before the previous game suddenly gets praised as if they liked it all along.

Missing the "seeing the franchise get worse and worse with each entry to the point the last good entry seem to have happened decades ago". Happens with many franchises.

Just look at Gen 5. Prime example of a vindicated game.
Lol, that wasn't vindicated. The people that disliked Gen 5 just moved on and stopped talking about it, leaving only the people that liked it talking about it.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom