• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

All of this talk about the graphics and the "golden age of pokemon" really does remind me of being a Zelda fan in the 2000's. Which is hilarious because everyone is drawing all of these comparisons to Links Awakening and Botw.

The OOT tree's were clearly artistic symbolism.

Real talk though, I could see BDSP becoming the wind waker of pokemon.

Wind Waker was a brand new Zelda game, that took an artstyle that was drastically different from Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask. Graphically, Wind Waker was not lacking, it was just a different style. (For those who don't know the history, I was there and can say, yes, people did seem to have a bad reaction to the artstyle, but the game was praised quite instantly after it came out, so there was a huge, very quick turn-around with the reception of the game, it wasn't a generational cycles kind of deal).

BD/SP? They graphically pale in comparison even to other games with their same artstyle. I don't think it's the same thing at all. And I don't see BD/SP getting any kind of reputation like WW. Wind Waker was a brand new game, BD/SP are remakes, and I have a distinct feeling that they will fall between the cracks shortly after they are released. Unless they do some really neat things with the gameplay and updating the games like OR/AS did with adding new Megas, the Dex Nav, but... I doubt it at this point. I hope I'm wrong.

I just think that with BD/SP we will see a distinctly different approach from the past remakes. The past remakes were made heavily in the style of the other games of the current generation and thus they got a lot of the updates, new features, and expanded similar features to the original pairs of the generation (like, again, Mega Evolutions in OR/AS). BD/SP look like they're something separate, they're even outsourced to a different company. So I don't think we'll see the same level of update for BD/SP.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, but... we'll see.

At least give a true analysis of why you like the graphics, rather than just saying, "I like it." Even though I'm not thrilled about the graphics, I thought my reasons of why were pretty thorough and reasonable:

Links to my reasons:
(Part 1)
(Part 2)

All that was even said was that prog rocker wasn't displeased with the art style and was tired of being called a sheep for that. Nobody was trying to restart the artstyle argument that's been going on for the past five days.

Hey... I'm not saying they "owe" me an explanation - but the person complained that people being not displeased about graphics were being treated like sheep. How do you remove the stigma of being a blind follower, much of what the derogatory term "sheep" is given to? Show you have *some* reasoning about why you like/dislike something.

Just saying, "I like it" and just stopping at that isn't very good art critique, good or bad.

You "remove the stigma" by not rudely implying that someone is a sheep for not being pissed off about something like you are. You are literally going after someone for being fed up with that.

I'm pretty much in the camp that believes that Gamefreak didn't wanted to make these remakes yet, and are just doing it to have a game released this year and also to avoid questions of why they are making the Arceus game and not also a remake of the Gen 4 games. Because if they only announced the Arceus game people would be in mass asking why they aren't doing Gen 4 remakes as well.

Honestly, i would have waited a couple more years for a Gen 4 remake. I have waited 15 years, i can wait a few more years.

There's also the fact that they can't port the game due to the dual screen.

Wind Waker was a brand new Zelda game, that took an artstyle that was drastically different from Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask. Graphically, Wind Waker was not lacking, it was just a different style. (For those who don't know the history, I was there and can say, yes, people did seem to have a bad reaction to the artstyle, but the game was praised quite instantly after it came out, so there was a huge, very quick turn-around with the reception of the game, it wasn't a generational cycles kind of deal).
Wind Waker also got some backlash pre-release because of the Spaceworld footage of a possible new 3D Zelda on the Gamecube. People assumed that was the next Zelda game, but instead of getting what was basically an updated Ocarina/Majora graphics wise, they instead got a Zelda game with cel-shaded.

This wasn't people not liking a style because it's lacking in detail and overall just looking subpar compared to other games with the same style (even though there are people that don't like the chibi style in general), this was people just not liking the style in the first place and not seeing it fit the Zelda series.

So there really no comparison between Wind Waker and BDSP when it comes to the pre-release criticism of their artstyles since the criticisms are completey different.

All that was even said was that prog rocker wasn't displeased with the art style and was tired of being called a sheep for that. Nobody was trying to restart the artstyle argument that's been going on for the past five days.

You "remove the stigma" by not rudely implying that someone is a sheep for not being pissed off about something like you are. You are literally going after someone for being fed up with that.

Who's accusing who of being sheep in this forum? Not me. Give some quotes of the accusal.

BDSP will flop and at least they’ll know afterwards to never approach such a lazy style of game ever again lol

You all can bash LGPE all you want, but they are objectively the most aesthetically pleasing Pokémon games to date, with cleaner and more colorful graphics than even Sword and Shield and those slightly-chibi, but not too chibi player models we had grown accustomed to in Gen 6. If they had used LGPE’s engine as a base for BDSP, included the basic mechanics LGPE caught a lot of flak for excluding, like wild battles, Abilities, held items, EVs, etc. on top of the much-requested Platinum features like the Battle Frontier and Giratina storyline, we’d have 10/10 games on our hands.

Fortunately or unfortunately, these games will be severely overshadowed by LA, and honestly? I’m all for it. LA will probably be the best Pokémon game to date, BDSP is just a quick side project to hold us off for a few more months while they polish LA and give us the REAL Sinnoh game we want.

Pokémon Is immune to failure.

I mean, I was talking more in general because you implied that it's other people's fault they get called sheep for not hating something, but if you really wanna go there...

It's up to you to respond, though, not me. If you don't want to reply, that's fine - but it still tells me a lot about about your stance of such topics.

Maybe you didn't mean to call anyone a sheep, but implying that the person isn't justified in their opinion because they didn't answer you and didn't give you a damn essay about why they "aren't displeased" with the graphics is wrong.

And frankly, you're not the only one I've seen the past months implying that people who just enjoy the games are somehow wrong, and it's pretty frustrating. Nobody is required to give detailed posts about why they like/dislike/or are indifferent about a game, graphics, or anything in order of their feelings to be justified.

Okay, this is a joke so please don't take it seriously but I found the definition of essay and apparently its this:

"a short piece of writing on a particular subject."

So technically, technically just saying "I like it" is an essay. Which I now realize is why teachers always give exact lengths when it comes to essays to make sure some smart aleck kid doesn't look up the definition of essay and use it as a defense for only writing a sentence.

Honestly, no matter what point anyone tries to sell me about LGPE: graphics, nostalgia's stupid inherent benefit or whatever, etc.; it would never dissuade me from resenting it enough to its very conceptual core, to the point that I'll never play them unless by some odd chance I got them for free.

I initially skipped them and only got them because they were 50% off.

I mean, I was talking more in general because you implied that it's other people's fault they get called sheep for not hating something, but if you really wanna go there...

Maybe you didn't mean to call anyone a sheep, but implying that the person isn't justified in their opinion because they didn't answer you and didn't give you a damn essay about why they "aren't displeased" with the graphics is wrong.

And frankly, you're not the only one I've seen the past months implying that people who just enjoy the games are somehow wrong, and it's pretty frustrating. Nobody is required to give detailed posts about why they like/dislike/or are indifferent about a game, graphics, or anything in order of their feelings to be justified.

Oh... That. I should apologize, as I tend to overadjust forum debate with debate in real life. In a genuine debate stand, saying nothing or completely switching topics is indeed a rhetorical tactic - In that they'd rather avoid certain topics as a way of avoid a argument they fear losing if it went on and on. If they don't wish to wish debating for whatever other reason (Internet forums have other reasons, I guess), then that's fine.

Despite that, I do wish people to think about the standards games should have, and know what good game design and stylization really is. My analysis about the graphics were more on the style over the graphics, and why it's so controversial for a lot of people.

Okay, this is a joke so please don't take it seriously but I found the definition of essay and apparently its this:

"a short piece of writing on a particular subject."

So technically, technically just saying "I like it" is an essay. Which I now realize is why teachers always give exact lengths when it comes to essays to make sure some smart aleck kid doesn't look up the definition of essay and use it as a defense for only writing a sentence.

My analysis can be wordy - I didn't think it was that wordy. It's quite deep though... There's writing long things for the sake of being long - But there's also writing about something that's so tricky that it takes a bit of extra wording to figure out. For the latter, it's no excuse to just skip over it - particularly when it has a good point.

My analysis can be wordy - I didn't think it was that wordy. It's quite deep though... There's writing long things for the sake of being long - But there's also writing about something that's so tricky that it takes a bit of extra wording to figure out. For the latter, it's no excuse to just skip over it - particularly when it has a good point.
I just said it was a joke. Literally the first sentence of my post is a disclaimer that it was a joke. Knew I should have linked to Humor Mode.

Who's accusing who of being sheep in this forum? Not me. Give some quotes of the accusal.
Relax. I've come to the conclusion that half of the fanbase deserves these games, they just deserve them. Gen 5 remakes will be a thing at some moment in the future, and these games will look underwhelming with the same old excuses , then the Masuda soldiers will show up and say "graphics don't matter", "Masuda and company will be back for many years, and I feel fortunate with him leading this franchise" and I "Do you dislike it? Then don't buy it!". Just move on Lanstar.

then the Masuda soldiers will show up and say "graphics don't matter", "Masuda and company will be back for many years, and I feel fortunate with him leading this franchise" and I "Do you dislike it? Then don't buy it!"
I'm gonna preface this by saying I don't approve of what Masuda's been doing (except for posting those pictures of that Wild Area model. That was cool) but this seems like another way of calling people sheep.

God, I'm going to regret posting this aren't I.

I don't know what to say other than that this made my day.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom