• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I mean, no one would want a game in black and white.

Wait... that actually sounds cool.
Like a modern game in black and white... like a noir game... I know the original games were basically in black and white, but it's really cool to imagine a modern game in black and white.

Yeah that statement kind of backfired when you realize it would actually be a kind of cool gimmick if utilized properly. And Undertale already had part of that going with the monster characters.

Next stop, Pokemon: Command Line edition - A fully text-based game!

Made with Ncurses for its graphics.

"Minions" isn't much better. Maybe you could try not call them names at all?

At any rate, we're not battling here; there's nothing to "win." Furthermore, I don't "love these remakes" - they've only just been announced, and I've seen 30 seconds of gameplay footage. As far as my opinion on them goes, I've said multiple times that I expect them to be little more than a serviceable bit of enjoyment. My take on the style of them is pretty neutral. I haven't "won" anything, nor have I been trying to, and my position isn't the polar opposite of yours that you're characterizing it as.
The chibi style fans won it, since Masuda and company went with their beloved chibi style. I confused you with other people, so my apologies. I thought you were one chibi style fan. I've seen 30 seconds of gameplay footage, and the graphics will not look that different from what I saw. They will not move on from chibi style at this point, this is why I lost. They can't please everyone, and I understand it. I didn't care about the Dexit, others did. That's the rule - some days you win, some days you lose.

Last edited:
I personally liked the SwSh graphics and wish BDSP used them but maybe the roads won't fit and will have to be remade from scratch.
I didn't mind the chilbi in XY and ORAS (and I started with Moon) but why are the characters so small?

My idea was less black and white as a Pokemon gimmick (those games already exist. Cue rimshot) but rather just as the gimmick of some other game more suited for it.

Yes; i think there is a good chance that, within maybe 15 years, there will be a pixel art Pokemon game set in a new region!
Personally, I think it might technically be happening now with BDSP. They know they can't fully go back to sprites, but they can make 3D models that look like sprites.

Yes; i think there is a good chance that, within maybe 15 years, there will be a pixel art Pokemon game set in a new region!

Ohh... I could just imagine it: Generation XIV, Pokemon Pixel and Voxel! Play in a brand new region inspired by the graphics of the original red and blue versions of pokemon - Including the sprite style of the pokemon back then - all rendered in 4K HD voxel-block 3D!

Such amazing fantasies were dreaming up! :bulbaLove:

There's a reason I don't have interest in a lot of indie games. Sprite-based games are old-fashioned to me and only existed because the hardware necessitated them. The games just don't hold up to me nowadays, and thus it's just bizarre to see new games released in that limited style. Nothing wrong with people enjoying the style, I suppose. I mean I enjoy archaic music and musical instruments like the harpsichord despite the piano being technically better.

Nevertheless, to suggest that the mainline Pokemon series for full retail price go back to sprites? No, just no. As I said, the style only existed because the hardware was too limited to actually make games any other way. It makes no sense to hold to the style of limited hardware when the hardware is so much more advanced and now the true vision of a Pokemon region can be brought out with it.

There's a reason I don't have interest in a lot of indie games. Sprite-based games are old-fashioned to me and only existed because the hardware necessitated them. The games just don't hold up to me nowadays, and thus it's just bizarre to see new games released in that limited style. Nothing wrong with people enjoying the style, I suppose. I mean I enjoy archaic music and musical instruments like the harpsichord despite the piano being technically better.

Nevertheless, to suggest that the mainline Pokemon series for full retail price go back to sprites? No, just no. As I said, the style only existed because the hardware was too limited to actually make games any other way. It makes no sense to hold to the style of limited hardware when the hardware is so much more advanced and now the true vision of a Pokemon region can be brought out with it.

Indie games also don't come with the Pokemon pricetag. This game shouldn't be anymore than $30, and those who say "Well, platinum wasn't $30 on release either" ignore the fact that we don't hold the same standards today. RBY were released on 3DS, and they sure as hell were not priced to 1998 standards. Playing a top down, sprite inspired, game on the Nintendo Switch for a full price-tag is a greedy thing to ask, yet they somehow went through with it.

Indie games, while many might have more retro and pixelated/low-poly graphics, can be quite amazing to play. As an example, the game Celeste was pixilated, but its graphics worked wonderfully with timing in its brutally difficult yet fair precision platforming. I.e. The pixels helped the gameplay in this regard, so it wasn't just a retro grab.

With the way BDSP was designed, they'll have to do a lot both gameplay and featurewise for me to bite. I played Platinum several months ago. What will these games do to convince me to buy them and go through Sinnoh again? That's the 60$ question that I await to see answered - and I know the graphics aren't one of them for me.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom