• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I just remembered in some post-game the Grass Gym Leader Gardenia or someone says something in that spooky Eterna Forest, about liking grass types, but afraid of ghost types, and said something about what if there was a Grass and Ghost type?

I wonder if they'll redub her line.

Or maybe she'll say the exact same thing. ;)

I just remembered in some post-game the Grass Gym Leader Gardenia or someone says something in that spooky Eterna Forest, about liking grass types, but afraid of ghost types, and said something about what if there was a Grass and Ghost type?

I feel they'll sneak a reference to Rotom and/or Kalos there.

What if we find out in Legends that Pumkaboo and/or Phantump were some of the pokemon that used to live in Sinnoh. It's possible they can just change her line to:

"...I'm in a dilemma now. You see, I don't like ghost Pokémon very much. But, what if... What if there was still Grass-type ghost Pokémon here? What then?"

I mean if they keep the Platinum add-ons anyway.

I like these quotes from Masters:
"Hey. Do you know the Pokémon Pumpkaboo and Phantump?""As you know, I really love Grass-type Pokémon, but...""These two, they're not just Grass type. They're also Ghost type!""I want to take care of them and cuddle them too, so I can get over my fear."
  • If spoken to again
"See, I think they're cute. I really do.""But their movements and whatnot are a bit different from normal Grass types, and they scare me a little.""Still, as a Grass-type Pokémon Trainer, I can't just stay scared! Someday I'll be able to cuddle them!"

Indie games also don't come with the Pokemon pricetag. This game shouldn't be anymore than $30, and those who say "Well, platinum wasn't $30 on release either" ignore the fact that we don't hold the same standards today. RBY were released on 3DS, and they sure as hell were not priced to 1998 standards. Playing a top down, sprite inspired, game on the Nintendo Switch for a full price-tag is a greedy thing to ask, yet they somehow went through with it.

First of all, indie games have the “unknown” factor. For every Stardew Valley, there’s 400 barely polished cow patties, and several dozen other games in between. It’s rare that you’ll find one close to the same pricing as an entry in an established, popular franchise. For good reason.

Secondly, GF does not have sole control over the pricing of these games; they may not be fully owned by Nintendo, but they’re seen as Nintendo properties when it come to the game distribution. Nintendo sees them as core, AAA games and prices them accordingly.

Thirdly, games and game systems haven’t priced out with inflation the same way everything else has (and I’m assuming you’re US based like myself, with using the $60 terminology)

It’s an older article, but just a brief search shows that it’s not an isolated one (I chose it because it breaks it down in easy terminology, and stays mostly on topic).

Finally; a game’s worth is mostly (mostly) subjective. I don’t bring it up much on here, but the mere existence of LGEP makes me grit my teeth. Between it’s mashup of my least favorite (and in my opinion, most cash-grabby) remake (Yellow) and a popular F2P mobile game. The overall style is pretty, but the character models still make me gag a little bit.

I briefly considered buying it for access to Meltan/Melmetal, but then that F2P mobile game let me get them and transfer them to SWSH. At this point, I’d maaaaybe pay .99 if I was super bored. Does that mean that people who enjoyed the games and payed the $60 are just sheep who enjoy burning money? Nope. We just have different taste and value our gaming budget differently.

I wonder if there will be some dialogues adjusted that hint at later generations?

Remember in Hoenn there was a scientist in Devon Corp. who was researching Pokemon dreams? In ORAS the scientist's lines were changed to acknowledge Fennel's Dream World research in Unova.
I think so, considering that:

-FRLG had an NPC that mentions Brawly and Bruno's past.
-In HGSS, Crasher Wake and Maylene make a cameo.
-Aside from the Dream World reference, you can find a model of the Royal Unova in ORAS.
-LGPE had a cameo by Mina and the Alola forms appear.

I'd like to see a 3ds game which actually looks as good.
Pokemon Sun and Moon.

*sigh* This will be a long year... Also, love how not being displeased with the graphics is treated as being a sheep. Sorry for not hating the same things as you! Sorry for not doing the same thing I did back in 2014!

...Sorry for the rant, but I needed to get that out of my chest.
Legit question; who is going around calling people "sheep" for liking the game? I’m pretty sure it goes against the forum rules. There literally shouldn’t be any of that going on on "both sides" so I’m confused as to the various comments saying they’re being insulted for liking the game.

Respectfully, no one owes you an explanation of anything. People are free to express their like or dislike of something simply. Not everyone is comfortable with long analyses, and that’s ok.
But long analysis can be requested, specially since it’s been said that a lot of people are being negative just for the sake of being negative unless they choose to write long analysis. It should work both ways, shouldn’t it?

Legit question; who is going around calling people "sheep" for liking the game? I’m pretty sure it goes against the forum rules. There literally shouldn’t be any of that going on on "both sides" so I’m confused as to the various comments saying they’re being insulted for liking the game.

Whatever you do....DO NOT go to Twitter, Youtube, Reddit, or anywhere on the internet right now.

But long analysis can be requested, specially since it’s been said that a lot of people are being negative just for the sake of being negative unless they choose to write long analysis. It should work both ways, shouldn’t it?
Analysis can be asked for respectfully; not demanded. And, still, no one should be obligated to give one at risk of being labeled in any way. It isn’t right when either side does it, though I honestly haven’t seen too much if any of the accusation of “you’re being negative just for the sake of being negative”.

Oh. I see. I am sure there will be new stuff. Why would they not. I think when they say faithful recreation, the producers mean the map itself for the most part. Again, I think there will be new stuff. Why would they make these if all they did was give it a new coat of paint?

One last thing: We only have ONE trailer right now. Yes, what we saw makes it seem like nothing new is there, I get it.
As much as I want to believe you to be correct, there is a reason behind such a decision: porting the Gen 4 games would be a nightmare due to the dual screen aspect needing to be reworked.

Analysis can be asked for respectfully; not demanded. And, still, no one should be obligated to give one at risk of being labeled in any way. It isn’t right when either side does it, though I honestly haven’t seen too much if any of the accusation of “you’re being negative just for the sake of being negative”.

What aspect of my posts suggested I ""demanded"" an explanation? I only suggested one as an optional request. Like any post in the forums, it's really up to the posters to respond - I'm not forcing anyone. (And it's not even possible for me to do that anyways. :/ )

Also, I felt like, before that specific post by Prog Rocker, that hardly anyone here accused people of being sheep - And that the post itself was more or less self-victimization. If anything, I wish people wouldn't do that sort of guilt tripping tactic in these forums - It's also pretty toxic rhetoric that tends to shut down any discussion anyhow. I don't want to have to pity anyone for whatever argument they have - Just that their arguments and reasoning have some kind of soundness to them.

What aspect of my posts suggested I ""demanded"" an explanation? I only suggested one as an optional request. Like any post in the forums, it's really up to the posters to respond - I'm not forcing anyone. (And it's not even possible for me to do that anyways. :/ )
Lanstar said:
At least give a true analysis of why you like the graphics, rather than just saying, "I like it."
It came off as demanding to me. You didn’t ask “Could you elaborate?” you said “At least give a true analysis” implying his opinion was any less valid just because he didn’t expound upon it initially. Maybe your intent wasn’t to be demanding, but that’s how it came off to me based on the language you used.

Whatever you do....DO NOT go to Twitter, Youtube, Reddit, or anywhere on the internet right now.
I've lost almost all drive to post on most platforms due to the "us vs them" going on everywhere. I don’t really feel like writing analysis on these forums as well since a lot of it is just dismissed by anyone having an opposing opinion.

The fact that I feel that this game has less effort put into it than other entries shouldn’t deter anyone else from enjoying it. They’re free to enjoy what they please. Worth is subjective but I strongly feel that this game isn’t worth full price to me and many others. I’d welcome the chibi style if it were actually consistent. One of the plus points of Let's Go were its charming art style and the great use of lighting and perspective. However these games feel like a downgrade in that aspect. The lighting is all over the place and in the initial trailer some elements felt borderline photoshopped in to me due to the wild inconsistency.

This, combined with the timing of the games, the art direction they went with and the fact that they outsourced it leads me to believe that these games were rushed out.

I've seen a lot of posts commenting on "You wanted Sinnoh remakes, where’s your enuthsiasm now?". I’ve been previously quiet on this, but this feels borderline taunting. It’s hard to deny that this feels underwhelming in the era of LGPE, SwSh and LA. This is not what most people were expecting when it comes to a Sinnoh remake and since a lot of people already saw it as a downgrade (and I reiterate, some do NOT see it as a downgrade but it’s hard to deny that some do), so I feel it’s hardly appropriate to force them to be excited about the entries.

They probably imagined their favourite games evolve on the system, as ORAS was by the 3DS graphics, and as LGPE was compared to FRLG. A lot of us wanted to explore distortion world with a better 3D perspective. And then we got this. Again, people are free to enjoy the faithful remake, but I do request them to have a perspective on why others are not as enthused. Specially since with the history of the franchise, the remakes will be faithful to a fault but then remove the actual good stuff that needs to be faithful like the extra exploration, the battle frontier and the rest of it due to precedent.

A little bit of perspective from both sides would help a lot on these forums. I’m just a regular user but I urge everyone to have empathy for the "other side". There shouldn’t even be a "other side" to speak of since ultimately we're drawn together by the love of the same franchise. We all want the games to get better, this is why "They just want to nitpick at any entries", "They just buy everything" and all the rest are not good mentalities to hold.
Please understand why some people are enthusiastic about the games and why others are flat out disappointed in the direction these games went. As one of the most awaited remakes, this situation was bound to happen, but this intensified it further. It’s useless trying to victimise any side or paint anyone as the aggressor.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I legitimately don't think Gen VII was a good looking gen. Only good thing about them were the human models. But environments were eh. I preferred Gen VI in that regard.
That’s what, art styles are subjective. For me Sun and Moon with Switch resolutions look better than what BDSP are. Imo the design language of BDSP is really scattered, whereas a lot of these entries have cohesion built into the design language. I’ll take ORAS and LGPE styles over BDSP any day, too.

I've lost almost all drive to post on most platforms due to the "us vs them" going on everywhere. I don’t really feel like writing analysis on these forums as well since a lot of it is just dismissed by anyone having an opposing opinion.

The fact that I feel that this game has less effort put into it than other entries shouldn’t deter anyone else from enjoying it. They’re free to enjoy what they please. Worth is subjective but I strongly feel that this game isn’t worth full price to me and many others. I’d welcome the chibi style if it were actually consistent. One of the plus points of Let's Go were its charming art style and the great use of lighting and perspective. However these games feel like a downgrade in that aspect. The lighting is all over the place and in the initial trailer some elements felt borderline photoshopped in to me due to the wild inconsistency.

This, combined with the timing of the games, the art direction they went with and the fact that they outsourced it leads me to believe that these games were rushed out.

I've seen a lot of posts commenting on "You wanted Sinnoh remakes, where’s your enuthsiasm now?". I’ve been previously quiet on this, but this feels borderline taunting. It’s hard to deny that this feels underwhelming in the era of LGPE, SwSh and LA. This is not what most people were expecting when it comes to a Sinnoh remake and since a lot of people already saw it as a downgrade (and I reiterate, some do NOT see it as a downgrade but it’s hard to deny that some do), so I feel it’s hardly appropriate to force them to be excited about the entries.

They probably imagined their favourite games evolve on the system, as ORAS was by the 3DS graphics, and as LGPE was compared to FRLG. A lot of us wanted to explore distortion world with a better 3D perspective. And then we got this. Again, people are free to enjoy the faithful remake, but I do request them to have a perspective on why others are not as enthused. Specially since with the history of the franchise, the remakes will be faithful to a fault but then remove the actual good stuff that needs to be faithful like the extra exploration, the battle frontier and the rest of it due to precedent.

A little bit of perspective from both sides would help a lot on these forums. I’m just a regular user but I urge everyone to have empathy for the "other side". There shouldn’t even be a "other side" to speak of since ultimately we're drawn together by the love of the same franchise. We all want the games to get better, this is why "They just want to nitpick at any entries", "They just buy everything" and all the rest are not good mentalities to hold.
Please understand why some people are enthusiastic about the games and why others are flat out disappointed in the direction these games went. As one of the most awaited remakes, this situation was bound to happen, but this intensified it further. It’s useless trying to victimise any side or paint anyone as the aggressor.
Fairly good post and I agree with all your points. I get why people are dissatisfied with the remakes. And that's fine. I have enough empathy for those who loved Gen IV and wanted a remake similar to SwSh. My empathy dies the moment someone takes an objective stance on the appearance, however. The games don't objectively look worse to me.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom