• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I've lost almost all drive to post on most platforms due to the "us vs them" going on everywhere. I don’t really feel like writing analysis on these forums as well since a lot of it is just dismissed by anyone having an opposing opinion.

The fact that I feel that this game has less effort put into it than other entries shouldn’t deter anyone else from enjoying it. They’re free to enjoy what they please. Worth is subjective but I strongly feel that this game isn’t worth full price to me and many others. I’d welcome the chibi style if it were actually consistent. One of the plus points of Let's Go were its charming art style and the great use of lighting and perspective. However these games feel like a downgrade in that aspect. The lighting is all over the place and in the initial trailer some elements felt borderline photoshopped in to me due to the wild inconsistency.

This, combined with the timing of the games, the art direction they went with and the fact that they outsourced it leads me to believe that these games were rushed out.

I've seen a lot of posts commenting on "You wanted Sinnoh remakes, where’s your enuthsiasm now?". I’ve been previously quiet on this, but this feels borderline taunting. It’s hard to deny that this feels underwhelming in the era of LGPE, SwSh and LA. This is not what most people were expecting when it comes to a Sinnoh remake and since a lot of people already saw it as a downgrade (and I reiterate, some do NOT see it as a downgrade but it’s hard to deny that some do), so I feel it’s hardly appropriate to force them to be excited about the entries.

They probably imagined their favourite games evolve on the system, as ORAS was by the 3DS graphics, and as LGPE was compared to FRLG. A lot of us wanted to explore distortion world with a better 3D perspective. And then we got this. Again, people are free to enjoy the faithful remake, but I do request them to have a perspective on why others are not as enthused. Specially since with the history of the franchise, the remakes will be faithful to a fault but then remove the actual good stuff that needs to be faithful like the extra exploration, the battle frontier and the rest of it due to precedent.

A little bit of perspective from both sides would help a lot on these forums. I’m just a regular user but I urge everyone to have empathy for the "other side". There shouldn’t even be a "other side" to speak of since ultimately we're drawn together by the love of the same franchise. We all want the games to get better, this is why "They just want to nitpick at any entries", "They just buy everything" and all the rest are not good mentalities to hold.
Please understand why some people are enthusiastic about the games and why others are flat out disappointed in the direction these games went. As one of the most awaited remakes, this situation was bound to happen, but this intensified it further. It’s useless trying to victimise any side or paint anyone as the aggressor.
Fairly good post and I agree with all your points. I get why people are dissatisfied with the remakes. And that's fine. I have enough empathy for those who loved Gen IV and wanted a remake similar to SwSh. My empathy dies the moment someone takes an objective stance on the appearance, however. The games don't objectively look worse to me.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I legitimately don't think Gen VII was a good looking gen. Only good thing about them were the human models. But environments were eh. I preferred Gen VI in that regard.
Weren't Kalos and Alola basically the same? The major difference being Kalos has flower fields and Alola has palm trees, but graphically wise, they were the same.

1 key difference with Sword/Shield is, in earlier gens, it was an aerial view from the sky looking directly down. In Sword/Shield, the view wasn't directly above their head so the angle was more lower and more to seeing the back of their head then top, so you can see some front-horizon views. Kalos was only like this for places like Lumiose City.

But with D/P remakes, we're back to aerial view straight directly above them it seems.

Yeah, I personally strongly disagree with urging people to "not buy the games", and "it’s objectively bad" (I need to see the trailer again myself, since I only saw the reveal). But the way Barry and the other trainers look personally highlight issues to me in three lighting department. I personally feel that LGPE made a brilliant use of lighting, so it feels jarring with BDSP.

I initially mistook it for a mobile title so yeah... processing it was a Switch title is going to be a journey for me.
Weren't Kalos and Alola basically the same? The major difference being Kalos has flower fields and Alola has palm trees, but graphically wise, they were the same.

1 key difference with Sword/Shield is, in earlier gens, it was an aerial view from the sky looking directly down. In Sword/Shield, the view wasn't directly above their head so the angle was more lower and more to seeing the back of their head then top, so you can see some front views. Kalos was only like this for places like Lumiose City.
Sun and Moon are notably less "top down" than XY. The character has a full model and isn’t Chibi. Alola is basically an in between style between Kalos and Galar.

I think what BDSP should've been Let's Go Sinnoh games. Like full fledged Let's Go games on the LGPE engine. Or their faithfulness to the originals should be maximum and they could've been labelled a remaster of DP. When they were initially revealed I thought BDSP were remasters of DP so people who haven’t played them have an idea of their story before going into Legends: Arceus, which would be our main Sinnoh treat. But the marketing aims to dispel this notion. I don’t know why though.

I need a few rewatches of the trailers since I lost all drive to post and watch anything about these games due to the fanbase.

Last edited:
I want to like Pokemon so bad. I seriously do. Gamefreak made some of the best games period (platinum and SoulSilver), but the gamefreak of 2010 isn't the same gamefreak today. The same goes for the TCPI. Back in 2010, the Pokemon company were barely making profits and was more considerate of their fanbase, because they needed them. TCPI and gamefreak wouldn't have made these remakes or a let's go game back then, but they can and do now because that can get away with it. Gamefreak actually delayed diamond and pearl. Something that they should have done with sword and shield and the dp remakes. Again, I really want to like Pokemon, but gamefreak are not as good as they once were and The Pokemon Company does not care about us as much as they once did. Popularity wise, Pokemon is doing really well, but in terms of quality, it's been on a steep steep decline for a long time.

Gamefreak actually delayed diamond and pearl. Something that they should have done with sword and shield and the dp remakes.
Again, we only have one trailer, which only shows the artstyle, so we don't know if the remakes are bad or good, and we probably won't know until they release.

Back in 2010, the Pokemon company were barely making profits and was more considerate of their fanbase, because they needed them.
I...really doubt this is true.

Pokémon has, does, and always will need its fanbase as would any media franchise.

I...really doubt this is true.

Pokémon has, does, and always will need its fanbase as would any media franchise.
Most people fail to realize how thin the Pokemon Company were run pre Pokemon Go. The reason they dumped 4 kids, and removed most japanese licencing music was because they actually could not afford it.

pro (2).png

View attachment pokemon-company-profit.webp
Look at the dramatic increase in Profits as soon as Pokemon Go were released.

Attachments

• index.png
    index.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 21
  • pokemon-company-profit.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 25
I want to like Pokemon so bad. I seriously do. Gamefreak made some of the best games period (platinum and SoulSilver), but the gamefreak of 2010 isn't the same gamefreak today. The same goes for the TCPI. Back in 2010, the Pokemon company were barely making profits and was more considerate of their fanbase, because they needed them. TCPI and gamefreak wouldn't have made these remakes or a let's go game back then, but they can and do now because that can get away with it. Gamefreak actually delayed diamond and pearl. Something that they should have done with sword and shield and the dp remakes. Again, I really want to like Pokemon, but gamefreak are not as good as they once were and The Pokemon Company does not care about us as much as they once did. Popularity wise, Pokemon is doing really well, but in terms of quality, it's been on a steep steep decline for a long time.
It’s not really that binary. Pokémon Legends is probably one of the most ambitious projects they’ve had going on. I wasn’t expecting something like that when I was on the “gamefreak is just churning out any profitable game” bandwagon.

It’s not really that binary. Pokémon Legends is probably one of the most ambitious projects they’ve had going on. I wasn’t expecting something like that when I was on the “gamefreak is just churning out any profitable game” bandwagon.

Pokemon Legends looks interesting, but we barely know anything about it. The graphics also looks extremely rough in patches and the framerate is a distaster. Gamefreak needs to release this to critical acclaim and fix these issues to change the general consensus around them, because if they strike out again, they will only lose more fans.

Pokemon Legends looks interesting, but we barely know anything about it. The graphics also looks extremely rough in patches and the framerate is a distaster. Gamefreak needs to release this to critical acclaim and fix these issues to change the general consensus around them, because if they strike out again, they will only lose more fans.
Well, the game is a year far so the framerate isn't exactly indicative of the actual experience we'll have.

Well, the game is a year far so the framerate isn't exactly indicative of the actual experience we'll have.

Of course not, but until the game is released, we can't say if legends has changed anything. I admire that they actually tried something different, but they did the burn the sinnoh remakes because of it, so i'm not sure if I should be happy or not, lol.

Of course not, but until the game is released, we can't say if legends has changed anything. I admire that they actually tried something different, but they did the burn the sinnoh remakes because of it, so i'm not sure if I should be happy or not, lol.
I don't think they burned the sinnoh remakes, since the only bad thing about them so far is the artstyle.

I mean, no one would want a game in black and white.
Wait... that actually sounds cool.
Like a modern game in black and white... like a noir game... I know the original games were basically in black and white, but it's really cool to imagine a modern game in black and white.
You know... I would not mind that.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but you actually can play Switch games in black and white (and inverted colours, if you so desire). On your Switch, go to Settings > System > Change Display Colors.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but you actually can play Switch games in black and white (and inverted colours, if you so desire). On your Switch, go to Settings > System > Change Display Colors.
Hmm...
*Does so*
Man, inverted colors makes things look terrofying.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom