• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

iu
iu

Definitely agree massively with this post but I do think it's at least worth pointing out here that USUM is cutscene-ing in that shot, which flatters it. The other 90% of the game looks like this though:

85.jpg

v i su Al gr av eL

And from that perspective I think someone probably could argue with a straight face that BDSP is better. But of course, that's all a hardware matter. USUM can't really help that the Switch is more powerful and has a larger screen than the 3DS.

So you're not a fan of Mystery Dungeon, I see. Is it the dungeon crawling?

I'm honestly not sure what precisely it is that I find so difficult to engage with. I don't think the dungeon crawling is the issue - I played a lot of Minecraft Dungeons last year and thought that was fun, if a bit too simplistic. And my favorite main series battle facility ever (the White Treehollow) uses a similar logic to dungeon crawlers.

The story quality of the MD games is really, really good, but I've just resigned myself to watching Let's Plays to experience that element.

Personally, i would argue the overworld screenshot you posted is better than the bdsp overworld.

Fair, but to my eyes it's just so artifact-ey. Everyone's face is an unintelligible blur of pixels, with specific features like eyes and mouths constantly shifting in and out of existence when the game is actually in motion.

Wow, DXes artstyle is actually really beautiful. If I didn't hate Mystery Dungeon I'd totally buy it just for that.
I made this mistake. I thought maybe, maybe this time it'll work for me... it didn't.

I tried playing a bit of Blue Rescue Team and Explorers of Sky, but found the gameplay really boring and repetitive. A real shame, because I loved the idea of playing as a Pokemon!

It's funny, but when I saw that DX screenshot I did think to myself for a moment, "Those graphics look gorgeous, maybe I should give this one a try?" But if the gameplay hasn't changed then I probably wouldn't enjoy it.

I tried playing a bit of Blue Rescue Team and Explorers of Sky, but found the gameplay really boring and repetitive. A real shame, because I loved the idea of playing as a Pokemon!

It's funny, but when I saw that DX screenshot I did think to myself for a moment, "Those graphics look gorgeous, maybe I should give this one a try?" But if the gameplay hasn't changed then I probably wouldn't enjoy it.
In a way it has, in other ways it hasn't.

On another note, anyone notice that the Veteran-class OW sprite/model (sprodel?) is now consistent with the battle sprite?

Spr_DP_Veteran.png

p05_03.jpg

In DP, Veterans had a bald-and-bearded, blue-clad overworld sprite that clashed entirely with the battle sprite:

Veteran_DPPt_OD.png

On another note, anyone notice that the Veteran-class OW sprite/model (sprodel?) is now consistent with the battle sprite?

Spr_DP_Veteran.png

p05_03.jpg

In DP, Veterans had a bald-and-bearded, blue-clad overworld sprite that clashed entirely with the battle sprite:

Veteran_DPPt_OD.png
I'm glad for that. This one was one of my pet peeves in older games.

Fair, but to my eyes it's just so artifact-ey. Everyone's face is an unintelligible blur of pixels, with specific features like eyes and mouths constantly shifting in and out of existence when the game is actually in motion.
Truth be told, i would rather the sword and shield style but to me the OW from sun and moon just feels more immersive than bdsp.

Truth be told, i would rather the sword and shield style but to me the OW from sun and moon just feels more immersive than bdsp.

For sure, yeah, SM/USUM is the more immersive of the two. For me that's because of the proportions - BDSP are going to feel more like I'm playing with small toys in a playset rather than projecting myself into a different world. It's just, it'll look crisper on the surface.

For sure, yeah, SM/USUM is the more immersive of the two. For me that's because of the proportions - BDSP are going to feel more like I'm playing with small toys in a playset rather than projecting myself into a different world. It's just, it'll look crisper on the surface.
Of course, there will be players who think otherwise.

Considering people have been imagining themselves in the Pokemon world since they the time of pixels and no customizations, it's probably going to temporarily go back to that. It just takes a bit of imagination.

Considering people have been imagining themselves in the Pokemon world since they the time of pixels and no customizations, it's probably going to temporarily go back to that. It just takes a bit of imagination.

Sure, not saying it's impossible. Just more fluid when the in-game world is realistically proportioned and more graphically neutral.

Definitely agree massively with this post but I do think it's at least worth pointing out here that USUM is cutscene-ing in that shot, which flatters it. The other 90% of the game looks like this though:
I wanted to find an overworld image of the player's bedroom but couldn't, so I went with that instead.

I have to wonder how field moves are going to be handled in this game. HMs are probably going to stay dead, but if it's a faithful remake, I don't think they'll remove a lot of field abilities like SwSh, which only had equivalents for Fly and Surf. My guess is they have a Poke Ride/Secret Technique type of system, but they keep most of them. Defog can go, but the rest should probably return in some way.

I have to wonder how field moves are going to be handled in this game. HMs are probably going to stay dead, but if it's a faithful remake, I don't think they'll remove a lot of field abilities like SwSh, which only had equivalents for Fly and Surf. My guess is they have a Poke Ride/Secret Technique type of system, but they keep most of them. Defog can go, but the rest should probably return in some way.
That's honestly what I expect.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom