• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Honestly, they could easily just retcon all HMs to TMs (they’ve already done this for some) and that would pretty much fix the problem.

If we still get to use our PC Box at all times, then it’s pretty easy to ensure you get access to the move-user anytime you’d need it, and you can easily overwrite the move with something else and teach it again later.

What if you overwrote an Egg move or something special you couldn't reteach to your Pokemon to get out then? That's probably a situation best avoided, so retconning them to TMs isn't really a good solution. Poke Ride/Secret Techniques are probably a better solution.

What if you overwrote an Egg move or something special you couldn't reteach to your Pokemon to get out then? That's probably a situation best avoided, so retconning them to TMs isn't really a good solution. Poke Ride/Secret Techniques are probably a better solution.
I mean, if you have access to your whole Box of Pokémon, then the point is moot. Just find a Pokémon that has a move you don’t mind overwriting. I just don’t really see Poke Ride or Secret Techniques returning here.

Last edited:
I mean, if you have access to a your whole Box of Pokémon, then the point is moot. Just find a Pokémon that has a move you don’t mind overwriting. I just don’t really see Poke Ride or Secret Techniques returning here.

Casual players probably aren't going to think of that, or maybe even have enough Pokemon to have that luxury. Whatever they do for field moves has to be simple, straightforward, and foolproof to make it accessible. So Poke Ride or Secret Techniques would be a better solution in that regard than TMs.

Casual players probably aren't going to think of that, or maybe even have enough Pokemon to have that luxury. Whatever they do for field moves has to be simple, straightforward, and foolproof to make it accessible. So Poke Ride or Secret Techniques would be a better solution in that regard than TMs.
I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’d like to see Poke Ride make a comeback as much as the next guy but it just seems like a pretty big jump from the originals.
I don’t really think what I described is all that complicated. It was pretty clear in SwSh and LGPE that you could access your box at any time.

I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’d like to see Poke Ride make a comeback as much as the next guy but it just seems like a pretty big jump from the originals.
I don’t really think what I described is all that complicated. It was pretty clear in SwSh and LGPE that you could access your box at any time.

It's not complicated, but it's very easy to mess up and result in some very unsatisfied casuals. Why do you think they wouldn't let us delete HMs for all of that time?

Poke Ride or Secret Techinques wouldn't be that much harder than HMs. Just program in some overworld models for the Pokemon, and then either an animation for the field ability or the static animation they had in the 2D games and you're done. I don't see how that's a "pretty big jump".

It's not complicated, but it's very easy to mess up and result in some very unsatisfied casuals. Why do you think they wouldn't let us delete HMs for all of that time?

Poke Ride or Secret Techinques wouldn't be that much harder than HMs. Just program in some overworld models for the Pokemon, and then either an animation for the field ability or the static animation they had in the 2D games and you're done. I don't see how that's a "pretty big jump".
Having a portable PC Box pretty much solves any complications that would result in being able to delete HMs. But I do see what you’re saying in how it could lead to a situation where you’re stuck; if you release all Pokémon that can know the move and you’re out of Pokeballs or something. Not sure how you’d get around that.

Creating completely new models and animations seems like a lot more work to me than just retconning a quick mechanic.
Also some people don’t catch every Pokémon they come across.
You wouldn’t have to. Just catch the ones that you’d need for the TMs.

Having a portable PC Box pretty much solves any complications that would result in being able to delete HMs. But I do see what you’re saying in how it could lead to a situation where you’re stuck; if you release all Pokémon that can know the move and you’re out of Pokeballs or something. Not sure how you’d get around that.

Creating completely new models and animations seems like a lot more work to me than just retconning a quick mechanic.

You wouldn’t have to. Just catch the ones that you’d need for the TMs.
There shouldn't be any complication when dealing with HM alternatives without the PC though, that's why Poke Ride is the ideal HM alternative given you don't need to find the right Pokemon in the PC to allow you to keep exploring.

There shouldn't be any complication when dealing with HM alternatives without the PC though, that's why Poke Ride is the ideal HM alternative given you don't need to find the right Pokemon in the PC to allow you to keep exploring.
It’s a non-issue if the PC is portable anyway like it has been in most-recent games.

Last edited:
It's still an issue if someone has loads of Pokemon in the PC and they hadn't taken the time to make that Pokemon easy to find.
This doesn’t sound very complicated to me. The PC even already has a feature that lets you search for certain moves which could easily be updated to search for learnable moves too.

This doesn’t sound very complicated to me. The PC even already has a feature that lets you search for certain moves which could easily be updated to search for learnable moves too.
The point is to make the use almost instantaneous, having to go through 4 menus just to get through one obstacle isn't the ideal way to progress.

The point is to make the use almost instantaneous, having to go through 4 menus just to get through one obstacle isn't the ideal way to progress.
4 menus is a worst case scenario, and it’s still far easier than what it used to be. I’m just trying to find the most likely solution here. I don’t think Ride Pokemon or Secret Techniques are particularly likely.

Maybe if the Pokémon can learn the move, it can just use the technique as long as it’s in your party even if it hasn’t actually been taught the move?

4 menus is a worst case scenario, and it’s still far easier than what it used to be. I’m just trying to find the most likely solution here. I don’t think Ride Pokemon or Secret Techniques are particularly likely.
That's what literately happens when players search for a specific Pokemon by using the filters. Just because it's part of the feature doesn't necessarily mean it's not a separate menu. The Ride Pager for example is only two menus in total. Heck, even the option of using another Repel without going into the Bag has its own menu. It's how many menus in total is what matters in terms of the convenience, not the menus themselves.

That's what literately happens when players search for a specific Pokemon by using the filters. Just because it's part of the feature doesn't necessarily mean it's not a separate menu. The Ride Pager for example is only two menus in total. Heck, even the option of using another Repel without going into the Bag has its own menu. It's how many menus in total is what matters in terms of the convenience, not the menus themselves.
That’s...not at all what I said? All I said was 4 menus is a worst case scenario, I didn’t make any commentary on what is or isn’t considered a separate menu. Anyway you didn’t even acknowledge the alternative solution I suggested either.

That’s...not at all what I said? All I said was 4 menus is a worst case scenario, I didn’t make any commentary on what is or isn’t considered a separate menu. Anyway you didn’t even acknowledge the alternative solution I suggested either.
I did see the alternate solution and I still think it's inconvenient to some extent. The point is that you shouldn't need to have a specific Pokemon in your party just to get over one measly obstacle.

I did see the alternate solution and I still think it's inconvenient to some extent. The point is that you shouldn't need to have a specific Pokemon in your party just to get over one measly obstacle.
I really don’t think it’s as inconvenient or time consuming as you’re making it out to be. It seems realistic, to me, that to get over certain obstacles you would need certain Pokémon. I don’t see this game supporting Ride Pokémon so the closest and simplest alternative I can think of is just using Pokémon you own.

The inconvenience of field obstacles - at least, trees and rocks - could be alleviated somewhat by having them disappear permanently once they've been dealt with. The purpose of, say, the trees outside the Team Galactic Eterna Building is to prevent you from entering until after you defeat Gardenia; once they have served that purpose, is there really any need for them to keep growing back?

Assuming that the idea is to stay as close as possible to the original games, they can do it just like current rom hacks, in which any Pokémon in the party (maybe even in the portable box) that can learn a HM can use it outside the battle without actually learning it.

Anyway, considering that I'm already used to the different approaches given in each game, personally, I care very little for the solution that will be used in the remake.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom