• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

They did. their exact words were "faithful to the originals". I think that makes it pretty clear we'll be using bidoof hm slaves in the remakes
With respect, nothing has been said so far to convince me there won’t be HMs. Nothing else makes any sense in my opinion.
They literally say they’ll be faithful but with modern conveniences. The HM removal has been one of the biggest modern conveniences in Pokémon.

Doesn't change my view though.
Then we'll see who is right and who is wrong.
No one is arguing. It's a difference of opinion.
They are arguing, they are having a discussion on whether or not TMs will be included or not in a civil manner.
So... why are people arguing for the inclusion of HMs?
I think it's in a similar manner to whether or not regional forms or Dmax will be icluded in the remakes. It''s not because they want it, but because they think that they will be included.

No one is arguing. It's a difference of opinion.
I never said people were arguing. I said they were arguing for, meaning they're making cases for HMs. Totally different thing.

That said, people are also making cases against HMs in response so this actually is an argument.
They are arguing, they are having a discussion on whether or not TMs will be included or not in a civil manner.
Exactly. Arguments don't always have to be knock down drag out verbal fights.

Now I haven't actually played Sword yet, but if the pokemon storage boxes are accessible from a menu like I've heard, and these games keep that system then HMs wouldn't be that obnoxious. Just grab a random pokemon from your box that can do rock smash, use it and put it back in the box.

I would prefer some sorta pokeride thing though.

I'm not catching a Pokemon specifically to teach it Rock Smash. Waste of a damn Pokeball.

Also, Rock Smash isn't a half-bad move. I've won multiple battles using it. Mainly because my Combuskin didn't know any other fighting type moves at the time but hey, when all you have is a hammer, make lemonade.

Then we'll see who is right and who is wrong.
True. To be fair, we only have one trailer and a press release to go on, so speculation is going to be high.

Honestly, I see the word arguing as having a more negative connotation. I would classify this as more of a debate.

I think it's in a similar manner to whether or not regional forms or Dmax will be icluded in the remakes. It''s not because they want it, but because they think that they will be included.
I would love regional forms...

With dmax, I think it's more history than anything. When ORAS came out, Mega evolution played a part of that game... so it would make sense for this generation's gimmick to be part of BDSP. Though I personally think dmax is a Galar exclusive thing.

God, I hope ROM Hacks aren't doing what Essentials games do sometimes where every single HM is an option on the menu. Like, I love the convenience of it, but it'll end up looking like this, and uh....

Yeah, several ones do just this. That in my opinion is quite nonsense, why have them displayed in menu is only useful to HM Fly. The rest should only appear when interacting with an object or place where is necessary to use it.

Regardless of their claim of being faithful to the originals and the remake being made by another team, it would be really weird for this game to bring back arguably the most criticized element in the series prior to Gen 7. I mean, HM slave was used as an indirect insult to the entire mechanic because of needing to waste an entire slot for a pokemon that allowed the player to pass over HM obstacles.

The whole riding pokemon thing from Gen 7 was celebrated by many as one of its best features. So to go back on that would be really weird.

I think some people are taking "faithful remakes" way too strictly. Maybe it's just me, but I figured that was just to inform people that a. the main elements like the map and story were likely to be the same as it was before and b. these games would not include Go mechanics like Let's Go added. Idk why, but there have been a LOT of people calling these games "Let's Go Sinnoh" or saying "they're Let's Go mixed with D&P", which is so weird to me considering there's been nothing suggesting there will be Go mechanics. I feel like saying "faithful" was just to inform that there wouldn't be Go catching mechanics or any new stuff like that.

But that's just how I interpreted it.

I mean... HM's weren't necessarily all bad to me. It gave a sense that your party Pokemon were working with you in order to get past obstacles - something I really missed in later games. What gave it a bad wrap was they took up move slots, and thus affected how you had to battle and teambuild.

I wouldn't mind HM's that didn't take up move slots, and that they were auto-applied to any Pokemon in your party. And if you didn't have a party Pokemon that knows the HM, a boxed Pokemon could automatically come and use the HM for you. They don't have to take up the Pokemon stat menus either - They could just appear when you approach areas you'll need to use them, or in the case of ones like flight, the selection interface used for pokerides would work fine.

I think some people are taking "faithful remakes" way too strictly.

Besides, the remakes have always been faithful! So faithful, in fact, that they sometimes receive criticism for not fixing issues the original games had. Even Let's Go, with its new catching method, was essentially still the same game as Yellow at its core.

The Nintendo website describes Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl as a "reimagined adventure", claiming that they bring "a fresh take and enhanced features to this remade classic". For all we know, there could be just as much new content in these games as there was in past remakes.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom