• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Isn't DP's 15th anniversary soon? 28th of September 2006 was their Japanese release date.

I wonder if the release date will tie into that. Seprember would be maybe a bit earlier thsn the usual release dates we've had in the last few years... :wynaut:
That’s reminds me. Previously, I thought that “09:28” time stamp on the Poketch at the beginning of the BDSP trailer was a hint at the remakes’ release date. But now I realize that it’s actually a neat little Easter egg referencing the release date of the originals. Just thought that was kinda nice.

Isn't DP's 15th anniversary soon? 28th of September 2006 was their Japanese release date.

I wonder if the release date will tie into that. Seprember would be maybe a bit earlier thsn the usual release dates we've had in the last few years... :wynaut:

I would love to have a shorter wait for this year's game! As long that didn't result in a less polished final product, of course. Releasing it earlier than usual would make sense seeing as another game is coming early next year.

The difference between HMs and Pokemon following is that fans actually asked for Pokemon following back. There's little if any demand for HMs to return, features like Poke Ride and Secret Techniques satisfy nearly everything of what people want out of HMs.
I very much don't think we're going to get Ride Pokemon. That was unique to Alola due to their culture, and Secret Techniques revolved around your partner Pokemon in Let's Go.

Either way, my point was that it's not impossible for a removed feature to show up again if it makes sense for that game. And as much as most people seem to hate them, I do think HMs make sense for BDSP because they and the downsides relating to them were part of the original games.

I very much don't think we're going to get Ride Pokemon. That was unique to Alola due to their culture, and Secret Techniques revolved around your partner Pokemon in Let's Go.
Agreed with this.

Although I don’t see HMs returning, I also don’t see Ride Pokémon nor Secret Techniques being used as their replacement.

I'm not catching a Pokemon specifically to teach it Rock Smash. Waste of a damn Pokeball.

Also, Rock Smash isn't a half-bad move. I've won multiple battles using it. Mainly because my Combuskin didn't know any other fighting type moves at the time but hey, when all you have is a hammer, make lemonade.

I hate Rock Smash. It's BP is only 40.
Also, why isn't Strength Fighting-type?

I feel like swearing to God that I won't buy the games if they remove HMs.

Also, do you think we will get some wild areas with walking Pokémon?

If they do bring back HMs, at least bump the base damage of stuff like Rock Smash and the others with low base damage.

Defog as an enviromental hazard needs to go though.

I'm less certain we'll get those mechanics specifically as much as we'll get something functionally similar with a different name. Much like how say, Amie/Refresh/Camp are all similar pet sim mechanics to raise friendship/affection but they're called something different and all work slightly differently.

Either way, my point was that it's not impossible for a removed feature to show up again if it makes sense for that game. And as much as most people seem to hate them, I do think HMs make sense for BDSP because they and the downsides relating to them were part of the original games.

That's where I disagree, the downsides of HMs aren't a necessary evil in the slightest and mechanics such as Ride and Secret Techniques offer the exact same benefits without the limitations it puts on team design. They haven't quite polished this aspect of the gameplay to the point where they've flawlessly executed one of these alternatives and it should be the go to solution going forward, each of them is limited in terms of which Pokemon can use them (Ride is only for rental Pokemon, Secret Techniques are only for partner Pokemon), but all of them are night and day better than HMs to the point where I can't see HMs ever coming back ever.

I'm less certain we'll get those mechanics specifically as much as we'll get something functionally similar with a different name. Much like how say, Amie/Refresh/Camp are all similar pet sim mechanics to raise friendship/affection but they're called something different and all work slightly differently.

That's where I disagree, the downsides of HMs aren't a necessary evil in the slightest and mechanics such as Ride and Secret Techniques offer the exact same benefits without the limitations it puts on team design. They haven't quite polished this aspect of the gameplay to the point where they've flawlessly executed one of these alternatives and it should be the go to solution going forward, each of them is limited in terms of which Pokemon can use them (Ride is only for rental Pokemon, Secret Techniques are only for partner Pokemon), but all of them are night and day better than HMs to the point where I can't see HMs ever coming back ever.

I think Pokémon in LGPE can use their field abilities.

I think Pokémon in LGPE can use their field abilities.

Not quite. Some Pokemon can be ridden and can fly and surf, but other than that, you can only use your partner for field moves. You cannot use any other Pokemon to cut down trees, warp to a previously visited city, push boulders, or light up dark areas, you have to use your partner.

I feel like people are looking way too much into the whole "faithful remake" thing when this is what the website itself says:

The original story has been faithfully reproduced, and the sense of scale in the originals’ towns and routes has been carefully preserved. People who played Pokemon Diamond and Pokemon Pearl can visit familiar places and relive familiar scenes once more.

Which is just talking about the maps/story, the gameplay isn't gonna be regressing backwards like some are worrying about/expecting. Not to mention that FRLG/HGSS were also "faithful remakes" too

Besides, the remakes have always been faithful! So faithful, in fact, that they sometimes receive criticism for not fixing issues the original games had. Even Let's Go, with its new catching method, was essentially still the same game as Yellow at its core.

The Nintendo website describes Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl as a "reimagined adventure", claiming that they bring "a fresh take and enhanced features to this remade classic". For all we know, there could be just as much new content in these games as there was in past remakes.
These are the first pair of remakes where the characters don't have new designs, and the graphics are outdated compared to modern games. I wouldn't shrug that off, and honestly the Nintendo site isn't even the main site. What matters is the announcement video; first impression is key.

Will these games be streamlined? Yes. Will they have a lot of new content? Eh.

and the graphics are outdated compared to modern games.
That's your opinion, and to be fair:
download (10).jpg
This looks outdated, and this
EvVvEPYXIAEusGb.jpg
Only looks bad at worst.

Last edited:
So far...
- "HMs will likely not return because it is inconvenient"
- "Ride pokemon is specific to Alola and a regional thing so it won't come back"
- "Secret Techniques are LGPE specific features that have no place in BDSP"

... so how are we going to access places that are across bodies of water - or even backtrack to a previous location when we are way too far? Are we just... going to walk or ride our bikes everywhere? Wouldn't that be the biggest inconvenience?

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom