• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Do you really think these chibi models can ride pokemon? They don't even have proper legs. I am even wondering how will they use the bike? I think pokeride was the best way to handle HMs. And GF could make this feature a regular thing easily but they decided to tie this with the lore of the region and I am quite okay with retconning it because it was effective. Rotom bike is so stupid. You have magical creatures that are capable of almost anything but you use a bike to surf? Just plain stupid.

And about the following pokemon, I don't think we will see them except in Amity Square. Because overworld models are so small in size and their look is chibi and almost cartoonish. Can you imagine that little baby Lucas is walking in the toy land while a full 3D steelix following it? It won't happen don't hold your hopes high. And even in Amity Square, I think not all pokemon will be permitted and the ones will be all basic or baby pokemon because their size is already small like everything else. If I am not mistaken we only saw 1 overworld pokemon in the trailers that being drifloon which is a small pokemon.

Last edited:
I picked 2 random screenshots, how can that be cherry picking? At least not intentional
You picked a focal landmark of importance, which happens to be a graphical highlight from DPPt, a scene with something going on in the sceeen, while for legends you picked probably one of the few screenshots which show absolutely nothing. It’s not at all a fair comparison.
The fact that the BDSP screenshot is:
1. A major landmark
2. In full focus
3. In full resolution

While the arceus screenshot
1. Is such a small random piece of overworld that I’m not even sure if it isn’t from Sword and Shield
2. Seems to be mid motion
3. And isn’t even in full resolution or has clarity issues
That it reeked of trying to make one game look better.

They both have different graphical styles but that doesn’t mean that fans of either game should misrepresent the other. Pokémon Legends Arceus is probably the most conventionally advanced (graphically) released title for Pokémon. These screenshots are a far better comparison than the one OU provided.

View: https://imgur.com/a/53iuLB3

You picked a focal landmark of importance, which happens to be a graphical highlight from DPPt, a scene with something going on in the sceeen, while for legends you picked probably one of the few screenshots which show absolutely nothing. It’s not at all a fair comparison.
The fact that the BDSP screenshot is:
1. A major landmark
2. In full focus
3. In full resolution

While the arceus screenshot
1. Is such a small random piece of overworld that I’m not even sure if it isn’t from Sword and Shield
2. Seems to be mid motion
3. And isn’t even in full resolution or has clarity issues
That it reeked of trying to make one game look better.

They both have different graphical styles but that doesn’t mean that fans of either game should misrepresent the other. Pokémon Legends Arceus is probably the most conventionally advanced (graphically) released title for Pokémon. These screenshots are a far better comparison than the one OU provided.

View: https://imgur.com/a/53iuLB3

Did you realize that the first screenshot is from Ocarina of Time right? And not from Legends Arceus?

Did you realize that the first screenshot is from Ocarina of Time right? And not from Legends Arceus?
Well, you don’t mention that anywhere and the screenshot has literally no landmark of importance, so how were people supposed to realise that? Genuine question. I apologise if I missed something obvious but that’s an incredibly vague screenshot. There isn’t enough to form an opinion on, specially given that the games have different release periods.

Well, you don’t mention that anywhere and the screenshot has literally no landmark of importance, so how were people supposed to realise that? Genuine question. I apologise if I missed something obvious but that’s an incredibly vague screenshot.
Yeah, I admit that I should've specified it, my bad. I thought it was obvious, guess I was wrong.
There isn’t enough to form an opinion on, specially given that the games have different release periods.
That's... the point. I'm not insulting OOT's graphics, because at the time it was the top, but it's now outdated. I was comparing an old game with outdated graphics to confront with a new game with good graphics but controversial artstyle.
Here are some more screenshots for a better comparison.
OOTBDSP
download (10).jpg

Hyrule field
p05_01.jpg

Twinleaf town with Lucas

Immagine 2021-03-08 134711.png

Starting Cutscene

Immagine 2021-03-08 134458.png

Starting cutscene with Dawn

EvVvEPYXIAEusGb.jpg

Eterna city statue cutscene

Inside_the_Deku_Tree_OoT_screenshot.png

Inside the Deku tree cutscene

Attachments

• download (10).jpg
    download (10).jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 173
  • p05_01.jpg
    p05_01.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Inside_the_Deku_Tree_OoT_screenshot.png
    Inside_the_Deku_Tree_OoT_screenshot.png
    161.5 KB · Views: 170
  • Immagine 2021-03-08 134458.png
    Immagine 2021-03-08 134458.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 205
  • Immagine 2021-03-08 134711.png
    Immagine 2021-03-08 134711.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 174
  • EvVvEPYXIAEusGb.jpg
    EvVvEPYXIAEusGb.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
a new game with good graphics
One thing: Whenever someone says BDSP has bad graphics they’re flooded with replies saying graphic quality is subjective and I agree with that. That’s why I’m saying that saying BDSP has good graphics as a fact isn’t accurate either.

It goes both ways.

I don’t really see how this comparison is relevant since it goes cross franchise, cross period with different consoles and probably art directions.

Using a remake from 2011 to make a remake from ten years later look better.

And even then, i'm gonna give a hard disagree on looking better (and i can't believe i'm defending Ocarina given that it's one of my least favorite Zelda games), but BDSP doesn't look that much better than Ocarina 3D.

Well, you don’t mention that anywhere and the screenshot has literally no landmark of importance, so how were people supposed to realise that? Genuine question. I apologise if I missed something obvious but that’s an incredibly vague screenshot. There isn’t enough to form an opinion on, specially given that the games have different release periods.

I didn't realise where it was from either, until I did a reverse Google Image Search. I thought perhaps it was the leaked Legends: Arceus screenshot people have been talking about, which supposedly shows

a portal to the Distortion World over Mt Coronet.

And then I thought to myself, if that is the leaked Legends: Arceus screenshot then it must be either fake or from the beta, because the graphics we saw in the trailer look much better than that!

I'm less certain we'll get those mechanics specifically as much as we'll get something functionally similar with a different name. Much like how say, Amie/Refresh/Camp are all similar pet sim mechanics to raise friendship/affection but they're called something different and all work slightly differently.
Hmm... Thing is, I'm not sure there is anything in the Sinnoh region - in any source - to explain something similar to Ride pokemon.

but all of them are night and day better than HMs to the point where I can't see HMs ever coming back ever.
Don't get me wrong, I do see your point. I just don't agree. I think HMs are at the very least a possibility.

so how are we going to access places that are across bodies of water
Surf boards!

... I'll get my coat.

It's really funny. We always have this argument but it goes nowhere because nobody ever established what does and does not count as "good graphics."
Honestly, I don't think it's possible to factually state what counts as good graphics or bad graphics.

And we need to explain this... why?
Because these kinds of things in the past have been explained through lore. And you can bet there will be people nitpicking it if they don't explain it.

Is there any explanation as to why my gyarados can't surf unless I insert a blu-ray disc into it?
Because Gyarados doesn't learn surf (AFAIK) via level up.

Unless you mean why does it need to learn Surf to ride on the water? I don't know. But with the exception of SM, LGPE and SwSh, that's how it's generally been.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom