• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

A couple of things they'll probably keep in these games are.

1. Fairy Types.
2. Glaceon and Leafeon's new stone-based evolution method.

I guess I just don't understand the thinking behind the whole "They'll get rid of Fairy Types because they want a faithful recreation of Sinnoh. same thing with Glaceons and Leafeon evolution methods.

What do you think will happen to Amity Square?
The Pokémon that you could use in the originals were very limited and the selection was arbitrary.
Why Pikachu but not Pichu? Why the Hell wasn't Eevee allowed?

No, they don't always have lore associated with certain features. Sometimes they do, sometimes they just put it in and don't explain why it's there at all. Ride Pokemon is a mechanic that really doesn't need a lot of explanation. You don't seriously think Alola's the only region that thought "Hmm, I'd like to sit on top of a Pokemon and have it help me clear obstacles?". I don't think it'll be quite like ride Pokemon, I think it'll be more like Secret Techniques, but if they want to throw in Ride Pokemon there's nothing stopping them and they don't need to come up with lore for why every single thing that's in the game exists there.
I do, actually. Because it’s a cultural thing in alola.

Anyway, as i said before... i do see your point of view. I just really don’t agree with it. And that’s okay. Reasonable minds can differ :)

GAME, the UK's equivalent of GameStop, is currently charging £60 (about $83) for pre-orders of Brilliant Diamond, Shining Pearl and Legends: Arceus. For comparison, Sword and Shield cost £50 (about $69) to pre-order, and that was also their retail price on release day.

Maybe once the pre-orders are available on the Nintendo store, those will cost £50 and then GAME will adjust their prices accordingly? I hope so, because there's no way I'm paying £60 for a game, no matter how excited I might be to play it.
Thank you for posting it, so it seems that these games will cost us 60$. Also I'm in the same boat, not gonna pay 60$ for these remakes (may I end up buying a used copy in 2023 because I like to collect pokemon games). I'll wait for BOTW2 next year instead.

Considering the pricings here, $60 sounds reasonable for a digital download. For reference, a physical copy would be more than $90.

...Blame the screwed up prices here for that.

Thank you for posting it, so it seems that these games will cost us 60$. Also I'm in the same boat, not gonna pay 60$ for these remakes (may I end up buying a used copy in 2023 because I like to collect pokemon games). I'll wait for BOTW2 next year instead.
They said they wouldn’t pay £60, not $60.
It’s been obvious from the start that these games were going to cost $60 USD. Idk why anyone would assume different.

I want to believe that there would be content added to this remake so people don't skip it in favour of Legends Arceus, but I know this fandom too well for that.

Who charges more for a preorder than an actual release?

The only thing I can think of is that maybe GAME is overestimating the price because it hasn't been confirmed yet. They could be covering themselves, so that if the price does turn out to be higher than expected, customers won't complain when they're charged more than they were originally told. Perhaps once Nintendo confirms that the RRP is in fact £50, GAME will amend their price accordingly, even for customers who already placed an order.

I really hope I'm right!

Last edited:
I just don’t understand why you would set yourself up for disappointment like that lol

No matter what issues you have with the game it was always going to be $60.

It doesn't make the practice any less terrible. These remakes absolutely do not deserve the $60 price tag, and I would like 1 person in here to actually suggest otherwise. If they had have remade DP in the style of Sinnoh, I would budge, but a low effort remaster for $60? TCPI continues to be one of the most anti-consumer companies out there.

For reference, Sword and Shield had over 1000 people working on it. The game was in development for years. Conversely, these remakes are handled by a small team. From what we know, little will be added to the game. The graphics are also not up to modern standards and the effort put into this is severely severely less than Sword and Shield. Yet, both games are the same price? There is no justification for this.

Attachments

• 1615239506209.jpg
    1615239506209.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
It doesn't make the practice any less terrible. These remakes absolutely do not deserve the $60 price tag, and I would like 1 person in here to actually suggest otherwise. If they had have remade DP in the style of Sinnoh, I would budge, but a low effort remaster for $60? TCPI continues to be one of the most anti-consumer companies out there.
Well for starters, I wasn’t commenting on the justifiability of the price, just the likelihood.

Anyway, we really don’t know enough about the game right now. What I will say, is that it’s really Nintendo you should be mad at in terms of pricing. They set the standard that all Triple A Switch titles are priced at $60, and BDSP most certainly are Triple A titles.

(As an aside, I’m not sure what you mean by “remade DP in the style of Sinnoh”? Is that not exactly what these games are doing?)

Well for starters, I wasn’t commenting on the justifiability of the price, just the likelihood.

Anyway, we really don’t know enough about the game right now. What I will say, is that it’s really Nintendo you should be mad at in terms of pricing. They set the standard that all Triple A Switch titles are priced at $60, and BDSP most certainly are Triple A titles.

(As an aside, I’m not sure what you mean by “remade DP in the style of Sinnoh”? Is that not exactly what these games are doing?)

Haha, sorry, I meant in the style of SWSH. My mind was tangled a little, and I know you or anyone here believe these remakes should be a little less. I just wish Gamefreak would price these games accordingly. They called it a faithful remake, right? Why not price it the same as diamond and pearl then? $40 for these remakes is more than fair.

Haha, sorry, I meant in the style of SWSH. My mind was tangled a little, and I know you or anyone here believe these remakes should be a little less. I just wish Gamefreak would price these games accordingly. They called it a faithful remake, right? Why not price it the same as diamond and pearl then? $40 for these remakes is more than fair.
Again, GameFreak don’t set the price (they didn’t even develop the games). I haven’t seen enough of the games to make a judgement call about what I think the price should be.

I will say, it would take a lot for me to say that they shouldn’t be priced for what they are, which are Triple A titles. There would have to be some massive flaws or severe lack of content, neither of which I foresee being an issue.

My guess would be a placeholder price. they seem pretty common.

You just succinctly summed up what took me a whole paragraph to describe haha. I hope we're right!

For reference, Sword and Shield had over 1000 people working on it. The game was in development for years. Conversely, these remakes are handled by a small team. From what we know, little will be added to the game. The graphics are also not up to modern standards and the effort put into this is severely severely less than Sword and Shield. Yet, both games are the same price? There is no justification for this.

I'm actually fine with Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl costing the same as Sword and Shield. Remakes have always cost the same as other games in the past. Game quality is a subjective thing, and we still don't know how much new content will be in these games yet.

The chibi style is an artistic choice, one that appears to have been executed with the same level of polish as Sword and Shield's more realistic style. The only thing that's not up to scratch, in my opinion, is the full-scale models of the human characters we've seen in battles, but there's still some time left to touch those up.

I do, however, think that £50 ($69) is too expensive for any game (which is why I recoiled at the prospect of Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl costing even more). The 3DS Pokemon games used to cost about £38 ($53) in the UK, and those included free online play.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom