• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Who talked about Dmax being used in Gyms, there's plenty of space in the wilderness for that.
I highly, highly doubt we will see D/Gmax:
I can see something like Megas brought back due to their popularity, but not Dmax/Gmax. These aren't the right games for Dmax and Gmax in my opinion. Those are big flashy mechanics meant to take advantage of the capabilities of the Switch--I believe one of the developers said something akin to this when asked about the mechanic during the pre-release. BDSP are very small in scale, just look at the battlefield in the battle with the Shinx in the trailer. They're really not meant for a game like this methinks.
There definitely isn't plenty of space, just look at the cramped overworld and LGPE-style battlefields and compare to the locations where Dynamax was possible in SwSh.

Personally, I hope there isnt Dynamax And Gigantamax in DP remakes, even if the small chance of them being in there does occur, I wouldnt want that. Imo, they were too much of an addition, sometimes being too overpowered, but I can however see the appeal in them, so im 50/50 on them. I just wouldnt want them added as a new feature to a good enough game as is.

Once they show gameplay, it's already clear that a game is already developed is likely enough to be too late for something that's a major game-changer such as Megas or Dmax to occur.

Remember that even if Mega Evolutions were in, there are different Mega Stones for Pokemon that can Mega Evolve, if it was just a singular Mega Stone that was universal to all Pokemon who can Mega Evolve, then this wouldn't be as hard as many different Mega Stones make it. So they have to fiddle around with loot tables in the Underground or make an NPC who sells Mega Stones as well as put at least one of the Mega Stones somewhere or have an NPC give it to you so new players can be introduced to the concept.

Heck, the Kalos starters were "outclassed" in their own region with its own unique (at the time) mechanic.
As soon as Greninja got Protean, it waved goodbye to the majority of the megas when it up the viability pole (and definitely up the popularity pole, this thing was everywhere during Gen 6 and even Gen 7). Funny how a very similar thing happened with Cinderace when it got basically the same ability.

Last edited:
They better be offering to refund the difference if it's less, otherwise anyone who preorders now is getting ripped off. Yeah, it sucks that the game is most likely going to be $60, but that's not my biggest issue with this scenario. It's that GAME is charging MORE than $60 for a pre-order, they're charging $80. No Switch game is $80 unless it includes some kind of peripheral or something. So if it turns out to be $60 as expected, they better be giving everyone who pre-ordered it now £10 back.
My advice would be to read up on the faq for that site.

the ones i have experience with will charge a small deposit when placing the preorder, then charge the rest when it’s time to ship it. Always make sure you read the fine print when preordering.

My advice would be to read up on the faq for that site.

the ones i have experience with will charge a small deposit when placing the preorder, then charge the rest when it’s time to ship it. Always make sure you read the fine print when preordering.

Hmm, so it looks like they don't charge you until the game actually gets shipped out and they'll charge you the official price, so I guess if you were to pay early (could you? I usually like to at Gamestop), they would refund you or give you store credit or something.

Metal Coat
Oh, this reminds me of something I really hated in a lot of the older games: only getting a single copy of an evolution item. Either that, or the item is something you have a 1% chance of getting from a random wild encounter.

The metal coat specifically isn't that much of a big deal since the only Pokemon that (iirc) really needs it is Scyther, but in DP, there's only one you can be given and it's post national dex only. If you needed another, you need to grind for a while. This also applied to much of the other evolution items too.

Platinum fixed a bunch of this by adding new locations for the items so that stuff like the Magmarizer and Electrizer aren't stupidly hard to obtain. I hope BDSP keeps that, especially if they ever change certain evolution methods.

Also, I assume the remakes would have to include Magby and ELekid by default in the game, since there's no GBA slot, right?

I don’t see any reason to attack Masuda. He’s responsible for a lot of great games and mechanics in the series.
d33.png

For reference: I think Masuda is a great director. But he's purposely dumbing his games down because of some belief people do not want to play longer Pokemon games anymore. The reason why a lot of features are removed are due to him.

Last edited:
For reference: I think Masuda is a great director. But he's purposely dumbing his games down because of some belief people do not want to play longer Pokemon games anymore.
He’s been working on the games for 25 years. Of course he is going to have made a few unpopular decisions. But to suggest that we can’t expect any more good games as long as he’s on the team just completely ignores all the good he has brought to the series over the years.
Johtoo said:
The reason why a lot of features are removed are due to him.
He was part of the reason the ORAS Battle Frontier was removed and now suddenly he’s blamed for the removal of “a lot of features”. Such as what? What else do we definitively know he took out himself?

Pokemon games are a result of many factors, don't forget that TPCi and Nintendo are part of the decision too. That said, I honestly think that Masuda and Ohmori (which is basically his stepson) need to step back and let someone younger direct games. Tani saved gen 8 with those DLCs. Not saying that DLCs were perfect but clearly the content couldn't be too different from the original product.
Now that I think about it...who is directing Legends? Imo Legends began its cycle before sw/sh release so it's not Ohmori (which is probably working on Gen 9 anyway) and it's not Masuda (which is clearly working on the next Charizard form in the remakes). So I guess it's someone new, which is good.

He’s been working on the games for 25 years. Of course he is going to have made a few unpopular decisions. But to suggest that we can’t expect any more good games as long as he’s on the team just completely ignores all the good he has brought to the series over the years.

He was part of the reason the ORAS Battle Frontier was removed and now suddenly he’s blamed for the removal of “a lot of features”. Such as what? What else do we definitively know he took out himself?

When are we going to start making these devs accountable? You say Masuda was part of the reason, but he's part of the reason for every decision regarding the game. He's the producer and has seniority over Ohmori. Every decision has to go past him. I also never said anything bad about Masuda as a developer, my comments were directed towards his philosophy. Compare his views to Morimito's? Both have been at Gamefreak since the start, but only 1 gets what we (the consumer wants). Also, don't you think it's embarrassing that a fan remake from someone who obviously is not a developer showed up Gamefreak? And that's not just me, go to Resetera or even the original tweet (which has a lot of likes as well). The very fact that some random person can make Gamefreak (and therefore Masuda) look mediocre is downright embarrassing and it shouldn't happen at all. Gamefreak needs to be better and they are far from it.

Last edited:
Pokemon games are a result of many factors, don't forget that TPCi and Nintendo are part of the decision too. That said, I honestly think that Masuda and Ohmori (which is basically his stepson) need to step back and let someone younger direct games. Tani saved gen 8 with those DLCs. Not saying that DLCs were perfect but clearly the content couldn't be too different from the original product.
Now that I think about it...who is directing Legends? Imo Legends began its cycle before sw/sh release so it's not Ohmori (which is probably working on Gen 9 anyway) and it's not Masuda (which is clearly working on the next Charizard form in the remakes). So I guess it's someone new, which is good.

Legends looks great, but somehow I think it's just a tech demo for generation 9. The game needs something more than just random battling Pokemon in the wild area. That is the most boring part about Pokemon, and they're attempting to make a game out of it. There has to be some sort of boss battle or archaic gyms or anything. And i'm with you on that. If Morimoto directed any Pokemon game, I bet you it would be miles better than anything Ohmori or Masuda could do. Just look at Soulsilver. The greatest Pokemon games to have ever been made as the best example of that.

When are we going to start making these devs accountable? You say Masuda was part of the reason, but he's part of the reason for every decision regarding the game. He's the producer and has seniority over Ohmori. Every decision has to go past him. I also never said anything bad about Masuda as a developer, my comments were directed towards his philosophy. Compare his views to Morimito's? Both have been at Gamefreak since the start, but only 1 gets what we (the consumer wants). Masuda is also directing the Sinnoh remakes and has authority over every developer there. He could have asked the game to look like Sword and Shield, or Let's Go. No, he is happy to churn out a low effort remake and as consumers, we have a right to call him out on it. It's not just frustrating as a fan of the franchise, but it's embarrasing. The fan remake from someone who obviously is not a developer showed up Gamefreak. And that's not just me, go to Resetera or even the original tweet (which has a lot of likes as well). The very fact that some random person can make Gamefreak (and therefore Masuda) look mediocre is downright embarrassing and it shouldn't happen at all. Gamefreak needs to be better and they are far from it.
While I agree on the fact that Pokemon games in 2021 should look the way that trailer looks and not like a remastered version of a 15 years old game, and while I agree that Masuda has some responsability, I think it's important to add that Masuda is now primarly a producer and that (like it or not) since he has started producing, the games have sold more than ever.
I know that the artistic direction the games have taken may not be the best (let's say it's far away from the best) but at the same time, I think there's a lot of fear at GF: people are never happy with whatever they make and at the same time they are asked to change something that keeps selling 22 milions of copies.
Let's be honest, Pokemon Legends is not something that GF needed to produce, but they are doing it anyway. And I think that Masuda, as producer of GF, had a role in this.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom