• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

While I agree on the fact that Pokemon games in 2021 should look the way that trailer looks and not like a remastered version of a 15 years old game, and while I agree that Masuda has some responsability, I think it's important to add that Masuda is now primarly a producer and that (like it or not) since he has started producing, the games have sold more than ever.
I know that the artistic direction the games have taken may not be the best (let's say it's far away from the best) but at the same time, I think there's a lot of fear at GF: people are never happy with whatever they make and at the same time they are asked to change something that keeps selling 22 milions of copies.
Let's be honest, Pokemon Legends is not something that GF needed to produce, but they are doing it anyway. And I think that Masuda, as producer of GF, had a role in this.
The problem is that Pokemon Sales are not that impressive by Switch standards. Zelda has outsold SWSH, Animal Crossing outsold SWSH by 2/1. It's almost at 40 million sales. If Sword and Shield were half as good as those games, it would have sold a lot more. Gamefreak alienated a lot of potential gamers and sale figures of other Nintendo games prove that. You're right though, legends was a surprise. I'm interested to see where it goes.

Legends looks great, but somehow I think it's just a tech demo for generation 9. The game needs something more than just random battling Pokemon in the wild area. That is the most boring part about Pokemon, and they're attempting to make a game out of it. There has to be some sort of boss battle or archaic gyms or anything. And i'm with you on that. If Morimoto directed any Pokemon game, I bet you it would be miles better than anything Ohmori or Masuda could do. Just look at Soulsilver. The greatest Pokemon games to have ever been made as the best example of that.
Don't judge a product from a teaser. We know boss battles will be in the game. We know Arceus is in the plot. I mean the game has potential. Let's wait and see what it has to offer before calling it a tech demo.
And btw I'm quite sure gen 9 will follow sw/sh steps and not Lgends'. Why would they make another serie of main line games that looks exactly like gen 9? Gen 9 games will be traditional pokemon games, don't expect open world, action rpg, seamless battles and safari catching.

Don't judge a product from a teaser. We know boss battles will be in the game. We know Arceus is in the plot. I mean the game has potential. Let's wait and see what it has to offer before calling it a tech demo.
And btw I'm quite sure gen 9 will follow sw/sh steps and not Lgends'. Why would they make another serie of main line games that looks exactly like gen 9? Gen 9 games will be traditional pokemon games, don't expect open world, action rpg, seamless battles and safari catching.

I'll see where it goes. I know one thing though. It would be nice for Gamefreak to make a game that is actually good. I know i'm sick of complaining about how bad the franchise has become and it would be nice to see all the Pokemon fans get together and enjoy a game for once.

Legends was introduced by saying it was a new era for pokemon, or in other words Gen 9+ will be open world. The legends series will be most likely set in the past while the main series will be in the present.

Legends was introduced by saying it was a new era for pokemon, or in other words Gen 9+ will be open world. The legends series will be most likely set in the past while the main series will be in the present.
They never said that. They said that they wanted the Legends Serie to be a new era for Pokemon.
Pokemon Legends has a new logo and a new name, if they simply wanted to make this game a prequel of gen 9 they could have called it Pokemon Sparkling Jewel. If they decided to create a new serie then they have to make this serie look different from a traditional main line, the same way Let's go games looked different from sun and moon, so it can attract to a different audience. I mean, I don't see what's the point of having a Pokemon Legends serie when we have lived 25 years with new gens, sequels and remakes living under the same logo.
Imo if "Legends" exists under Pokemon is because it's something different from a normal pokemon game, the same way "Let's go" did in 2018, but then we had Sword and Shield and not Let's go Sobble and Let's Go Grookey.

Someone remade the trailer for the games as the remakes of our dreams:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3btATgwOUFg

Looks so much better than anything Gamefreak or TCPI would produce.
we are robbed! This looks 1000 times better. Now I hope people will stop complaining about the ones who don't like BDSP.
Amazing. This is what I was looking for. I'd easily pay 80$ or 60$ for this.
I applaud for the quality of the trailer, but that's all the praise I'll be giving it. It's just a fan made trailer. Creating a game with this quality would be a task of a completely different level. I hate when fans say "we'd deserve better", "we'd deserve to have these and these features", and so on. The loud minority doesn't speak for the entire franchise. If it did, Sword and Shield wouldn't be the best-selling Pokémon core games since Gold and Silver.
This would have been totally awesome, but we can no longer get good stuff with Masuda.
That's not very nice. He makes one or two unpopular choices, and suddenly people say he can't do anything good whatsoever? Not very polite or fair.

They never said that. They said that they wanted the Legends Serie to be a new era for Pokemon.
20210310_114326.jpg

Applaud my supreme editing skills. And in case you can't read the text, it says; well no, but actually yes.
Pokemon Legends has a new logo and a new name,
So does every other game? I don't see your point
if they simply wanted to make this game a prequel of gen 9 they could have called it Pokemon Sparkling Jewel.
It isn't? It's a prequel of gen 4, not gen 9.
If they decided to create a new serie then they have to make this serie look different from a traditional main line, the same way Let's go games looked different from sun and moon, so it can attract to a different audience.
It doesn't? Odissey, 3DW+BF and MK8 don't look all that different and yet they are from different series of the same franchise. Also, it just being attracts a different audience, since it is the pokemon BOTW tons wanted.
I mean, I don't see what's the point of having a Pokemon Legends serie when we have lived 25 years with new gens, sequels and remakes living under the same logo.
Again, what logo? All of the games have different logos
Imo if "Legends" exists under Pokemon is because it's something different from a normal pokemon game, the same way "Let's go" did in 2018, but then we had Sword and Shield and not Let's go Sobble and Let's Go Grookey.
Well, legends is set in the past, unlike the mainline games. Also, as far as I know LGPE was never announced as a new era for pokemon, unlike legends which was announced to be that.

I don’t see any reason to attack Masuda. He’s responsible for a lot of great games and mechanics in the series.
People usually reference the chief in control of an organization when they criticize an organization. Who would you have preferred they reference besides Masuda, someone more up or someone below him? If by chance you meant nobody should have been referenced, then that takes away the whole point of criticism.

View attachment 140914
Applaud my supreme editing skills. And in case you can't read the text, it says; well no, but actually yes.

So does every other game? I don't see your point

It isn't? It's a prequel of gen 4, not gen 9.

It doesn't? Odissey, 3DW+BF and MK8 don't look all that different and yet they are from different series of the same franchise. Also, it just being attracts a different audience, since it is the pokemon BOTW tons wanted.

Again, what logo? All of the games have different logos

Well, legends is set in the past, unlike the mainline games. Also, as far as I know LGPE was never announced as a new era for pokemon, unlike legends which was announced to be that.
1) No. Any other pokemon game that is not legends or let's go has the same logo. Pokemon in yellow and the version name. Let's go and Legends have subtitles, not counting that legends logo is blue and green ---> Legends and Let's go are different series from the other main line pokemon games. Take a look:
Pokemon.png
2) A prequel to gen 9, from a tecnical point of view, clearly. What I mean is that if they wanted this game to be a transition to gen 9 the way oras was to gen 7 they could have simply made a traditional prequel to Sinnoh (I mean, they made a sequel why would a prequel need its own serie?). This is a different serie in the sense that this game is another take on Pokemon, a parallel dimension where you throw pokeball in the overworld, and not simply a traditional prequel, while I think you keep seeing everything on the same line. Let me explain it clearly:

New gens: ----S/M---(USUM)----SW/SH----(DLCs)----GEN9----------->

Let's go: ------P/E----------Marill/Natu-------------->

Legends: ----Arceus-------------Kyurem---------->

Every main line serie has its own specific mechanics and graphics and follow its own course that is indipendent from the other two. It's possible that something makes it trough the new gens like overworld pokemon from let's go made it into gen 8 but this doesn't mean that Let's go and gen 8 are now the same thing. You can clearly distinguish one product from the other because they are different, they look different and they have different mechanics. This is why I don't see a good reason to believe that Gen 9 will simply become Pokemon Legends in a new region. Gen 9 will be another product that updates gen 8 like it has always been and not a copy paste of another serie. Not counting of course that they don't know if this game will succeed both in quality and in sales so I don't see why after 25 years of the same game they would simply go mad and risk everything when they can have the best of both worlds.
The easiest way to think is: GF decided to create a parallel product to traditional main line games that can appeal to a wider and older audience in the same way they created Let's Go to appeal to a younger and more casual audience. The main line, however, with turn based battles, traditional pokeball, gyms, league etc. will always be there the way it has always been, just updtated every 3 years. This is what that direct told me.

I applaud for the quality of the trailer, but that's all the praise I'll be giving it. It's just a fan made trailer. Creating a game with this quality would be a task of a completely different level. I hate when fans say "we'd deserve better", "we'd deserve to have these and these features", and so on. The loud minority doesn't speak for the entire franchise. If it did, Sword and Shield wouldn't be the best-selling Pokémon core games since Gold and Silver.
Loud minority? Hahaha Dude, do you really think people that find these remakes underwhelming are a minority? We make up at least 40% of this fanbase. Yeah, still a minority, but we aren't a single digit minority. I wasn't a dexiter back in 2019, and I'm still enjoying my Shield copy. Also Sword and Shield games are an improvent over the last games, and these remakes aren't NOTHING when you compare them to Sword and Shield. I'm sure they could be better, since the Switch could easily handle a better game, and there's a part of me that still trusts them. I think I need to face the sad reality - there will never be another great remake like Heart Gold and Soul Silver. From now on, I think I'll set my expectations low in order to avoid madness.

Last edited:
He makes one or two unpopular choices
The pit of removed features over the years is far bigger than one or two. And Masuda is responsible for a lot of the very questionable choices over the years, and he has to be because he's the director and that's the last person to decide if something stays or not.

Just because he might be responsible for some of the games in the past that are regarded very highly doesn't mean that he's not starting to fall off recently or he shouldn't be criticized.

Last edited:
I don’t see any reason to attack Masuda. He’s responsible for a lot of great games and mechanics in the series.
Yeah, he was. The only problem is his currently ideology of "why bother with more content and higher difficulty when kids just want to breeze through their games due to the prominence of smartphones." It's almost like he has the Defeatist ability.

While I agree on the fact that Pokemon games in 2021 should look the way that trailer looks and not like a remastered version of a 15 years old game, and while I agree that Masuda has some responsability, I think it's important to add that Masuda is now primarly a producer and that (like it or not) since he has started producing, the games have sold more than ever.
I know that the artistic direction the games have taken may not be the best (let's say it's far away from the best) but at the same time, I think there's a lot of fear at GF: people are never happy with whatever they make and at the same time they are asked to change something that keeps selling 22 milions of copies.
Let's be honest, Pokemon Legends is not something that GF needed to produce, but they are doing it anyway. And I think that Masuda, as producer of GF, had a role in this.
This I agree with. Masuda has excellent IVs and a beneficial nature for producing great games; he just got stuck with a bad ability is all. Anyone got an Ability Capsule for his other ability, or maybe an Ability Patch to apply the Hidden Ability to this man?

There's a lot of videos about the remakes out there, just check the comment section on YouTube. Also there's a poll about the chibi art here, go there and see by yourself. We aren't a loud minory. If you really think most people aren't dissapointed at some degree with these remakes then you're fooling yourself.

Take a look:

There's a lot of videos about the remakes out there, just check the comment section on YouTube. Also there's a poll about the chibi art here, go there and see by yourself. We aren't a loud minory. If you really think most people aren't dissapointed at some degree with these remakes then you're fooling yourself.

Take a look:

That poll has about 15000 votes. The Pokémon fandom consists of millions of people. Not even a percent of the fandom has voiced their opinion on that site.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom