• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Look we're still getting our reimagined sinnoh in Legends arceus, I have a feeling they did it this way for a reason: Get your traditional dp story and region faithful to how you remembered it as a kid, while also getting sinnoh in a much bigger context without being held down by needing to redo all the same story beats and map layout. They are trying something new with sinnoh. You get the best of both worlds, nostalgia trip with faithful graphics, and sinnoh much bigger and with a newer story than any other pokemon game we've had before. If they had just done "dp swsh version" it would have been a major let down too.

I think Sword and Shield have sold enough many units to prove they're very successful games.

I never disagreed with this statement. I just point out that it is not safe to say that Pokémon Sword and Shield has been more successful than past generations.

They are trying something new with sinnoh. You get the best of both worlds, nostalgia trip with faithful graphics, and sinnoh much bigger and with a newer story than any other pokemon game we've had before. If they had just done "dp swsh version" it would have been a major let down too.

The point is that many do not want "faithful" graphics, but graphics that use the full capacity of the console while keeping resemblance, similarities and respect for the original designs. Visually, the other remakes have always been superior or at most equivalent to the previous Pokémon release. However, Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl looks more like a game for the 3DS than for the Switch, so the criticisms.

Yet, so far the only new thing that we know about the game is related to its graphics, so it is natural that the discussion revolves around that. And if the initial impression is negative, well, the fault lies solely and exclusively with the producers. Especially because they are the ones who choose what will or will not be presented to us.

Furthemore, despite the remake itself, it is very nice to see them trying something new. Like many, I am quite curious and excited about news of Pokémon Legends Arceus.

Last edited:
Look we're still getting our reimagined sinnoh in Legends arceus, I have a feeling they did it this way for a reason: Get your traditional dp story and region faithful to how you remembered it as a kid, while also getting sinnoh in a much bigger context without being held down by needing to redo all the same story beats and map layout. They are trying something new with sinnoh. You get the best of both worlds, nostalgia trip with faithful graphics, and sinnoh much bigger and with a newer story than any other pokemon game we've had before. If they had just done "dp swsh version" it would have been a major let down too.
I’m of the opinion these games should've been marketed as "remasters" and not remakes just because if that. They probably chose to call these remakes so people give more importance to them.

I’m of the opinion these games should've been marketed as "remasters" and not remakes just because if that. They probably chose to call these remakes so people give more importance to them.

While I agree that these games are looking extremely conservative, they are, by definition, remakes and not remasters. Remasters are like Twilight Princess HD, where the game isn't actually remade, it's just upscaled. These games are true remakes, they just aren't very good looking ones.

While I agree that these games are looking extremely conservative, they are, by definition, remakes and not remasters. Remasters are like Twilight Princess HD, where the game isn't actually remade, it's just upscaled. These games are true remakes, they just aren't very good looking ones.
I didn’t know formal definitions actually existed for the terms, I just went by my intuition there... I thought the intent was for Legends Arceus to be the actual Sinnoh meaty content while BDSP were a way for newer players to get a feel for how Sinnoh as a region originally was, and know all the story elements before plunging into Arceus.

I didn’t know formal definitions actually existed for the terms, I just went by my intuition there... I thought the intent was for Legends Arceus to be the actual Sinnoh meaty content while BDSP were a way for newer players to get a feel for how Sinnoh as a region originally was, and know all the story elements before plunging into Arceus.

The companies conflate these terms a lot and it has caused a lot of confusion. But I'll just say, think of movies. If you think of a remastered movie, you are most likely going to think of a release that is very much the same movie you remember, just upscaled. Whereas a remake is a brand new movie made based on the old one.

These terms do have very distinct meanings, and I wish they wouldn't be lost. Remakes are a whole different animal from remasters.

The companies conflate these terms a lot and it has caused a lot of confusion. But I'll just say, think of movies. If you think of a remastered movie, you are most likely going to think of a release that is very much the same movie you remember, just upscaled. Whereas a remake is a brand new movie made based on the old one.

These terms do have very distinct meanings, and I wish they wouldn't be lost. Remakes are a whole different animal from remasters.

BDSP looks more like remasters for now. Let them price that wrong.

I think that the Contests this time might be more comparable to RSE because DP's contests were filled with mechanics that might be hard to translate into 3D.

I think he's referring to how you can put accessories on your Pokemon for the contest. It was easy because it was a 2-D game, but it might be harder to program it in a 3-D environment.
You weren't really putting on accessories--it was more like the Alolan Photo Club where you placed a few stickers over your Pokémon's sprite.
iu
iu
items.jpg
The developers could probably make the dress-up portion very similar to the photo club. The only issue would be the fact that the accessories showed up during the dance competition, but they could easily just remove that.

I think he's referring to how you can put accessories on your Pokemon for the contest. It was easy because it was a 2-D game, but it might be harder to program it in a 3-D environment.

You can put clothes and accessories on Pikachu and Eevee in Let's Go just fine, so I feel they could do the same for contests.

BDSP looks more like remasters for now. Let them price that wrong.

I'm sorry but they really don't. Take a look at comparisons and you'll see, BD/SP are clearly built from the ground up. They are designed to be extremely conservative and follow the originals in many stubborn ways, but they are most certainly not just the original D/P repackaged with updated lighting or something (that would be a remaster).

It's easier when limited to a select few Pokemon, but having to do it for over 400 is where the challenge kicks in.
Yeah. That would be rather difficult. DP got away with it due to the use of sprites. Overall, RSE's contests were more fitting for a 3D game, especially considering ORAS.

I think putting hard limits on what a 'Remake' should mean entail is ridiculous. Look at the Final Fantasy VII Remake for instance: It's in full ultra HD in the same graphics intensity as current Final Fantasy games, and even alters the battle format versus the original edition. Yet by some people's interpretations, it's not a remake.

I think putting hard limits on what a 'Remake' should mean entail is ridiculous. Look at the Final Fantasy VII Remake for instance: It's in full ultra HD in the same graphics intensity as current Final Fantasy games, and even alters the battle format versus the original edition. Yet by some people's interpretations, it's not a remake.
I think it's because it's more of a deconstruction of what a remake is from what I have read.

What are people calling it, if not a remake?

Look, I don't want to get off-topic with FF here. But Final Fantasy VII Remake is on the far opposite spectrum of a remake from BD/SP. They are both remakes, just one (FFVII Remake) is much more ambitious in reimagining and the other (BD/SP) is extremely conservative and, well, just going through the motions.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom