• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

In before you can't turn off Exp. Share, meaning you get overleveled because the game's level curve is not made around it, meaning whatever coverage the opponent's pokemon have doesn't matter because you are like 10 levels above them and they just got one shot.
They can design the level curve around the Exp. Share mechanic.

They don't. Since XY the Exp. Share overlevels you, and it's been the same since then. Sword and Shield even went overboard by having way too many ways to gain experience points.
Sure gaining Exp. is easier now, but it can be controlled. In games before Sword and Shield, you can turn off the Exp. Share if you so choose, and in Sword and Shield, it's really not that bad unless you intentionally cram a lot of Exp. Candy down your Pokémon's throats.

I may be wrong, but I think several games have already kept this in mind.

While is possible to be overleveled, I think that Game Freak has taken into account the Exp. Share mechanic in the newer games. In Pokémon XY and ORAS, for instance, the experience gain is clearly unbalanced, but in the recent games my pokémons were not overleveled during most of the game.

Maybe it was me who adapted to the mechanic, I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Sword and Shield definitely didn't take it into account given how extremely easy it is to get overleveled. And that's not even touching pokemon camp, pokemon candies and the other ways to get experience points.

I get a lot of people don't like grinding, but the 3D games have gone in the opposite direction. Making the games faster and faster by overleveling you.

They don't. Since XY the Exp. Share overlevels you, and it's been the same since then. Sword and Shield even went overboard by having way too many ways to gain experience points.
I’ve noticed that Leon and Ultra Necrozema seem curved to the exp share, however, they’re the only other trainers that I noticed. I was above most everyone else in those games.

I'm playing Let's Go at the moment, and I had a thought. It's mentioned a few times in the game that Secret Techniques are normally learned by humans, not Pokemon. What if it's Dawn and Lucas who learn them this time around? I do think we would still see them riding on the back of a Pokemon to traverse water, however, because the old surfing sprites are iconic and I think ILCA will want to preserve that.

Also, regarding the remake vs remaster debate, the Pokemon Company and Nintendo have both referred to these games as remakes on social media.

Last edited:
I'm playing Let's Go at the moment, and I had a thought. It's mentioned a few times in the game that Secret Techniques are normally learned by humans, not Pokemon. What if it's Dawn and Lucas who learn them this time around? I do think we would still see them riding on the back of a Pokemon to traverse water, however, because the old surfing sprites are iconic and I think ILCA will want to preserve that.

Also, regarding the remake vs remaster debate, the Pokemon Company and Nintendo have both referred to these games as remakes on social media.
Yeah, and this was a remaster it would basically look the exact same as the original DP.

How easy do you think Cynthia will be?
Since I missed this in my first reply (funny given that's what started the discussion about the exp share), I just decided to make another post.

I honestly don't think she will be easy, and I think fears that she will are overblown. Even if there's a permanent exp share, which would lend itself to making the games easier, Leon put up a decent fight during both my SwSh playthroughs despite much of the rest of the game being a breeze due to the aforementioned mechanic. It seems that final bosses like Leon and Ultra Necrozema are built around the exp share so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a modest level gap between Cynthia and Lucian as a means of accounting for it. I also don't think the developers will neuter Cynthia's team to handicap her--Leon had a fairly good team as well in my opinion with some exceptions *cough* Dragon Breath on Dragapult *cough*.

In my opinion, the Secret Techniques mechanic, despite being practical, looks very silly, especially by the way it is addressed in the game. If you won items that you could deal with or get around obstacles, like in rom hacks, it would be something more intuitive. In Pokémon let's go, your character seems a moron, so that the starter is more apt than the trainer in activities supposedly typical for humans. Anyway, have balloons flying and a plank to navigate looks a lot less efficient and cool than using certain Pokemons.

Assuming we're going to get equivalents for everything and my item idea is accurate:

Cut: Machete.
Fly: Soaring equivalent.
Surf: Learning to swim.
Strength: You got me...
Defog: Maybe this one should stay gone
Rock Smash: Pickaxe
Rock Climb: Hiking kit.
Waterfall: Upgrade to the above.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom