• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I kinda like this speculation of what kind of HM replacement we'll be getting in each new game.

I want my Infernape to smash rocks and move boulders without having to learn a move. He has muscles after all. But using field abilities may be too much to code for 494+ Pokémon.

EDIT: Also, the levels of Cynthia's Pokémon should be like in the 70s, but Masuda said kids don't like challenges.

You know, using items and your character learning to swim is something that I have always considered as an alternative to HMs.

I wonder whether the Explorer Kit could play a part? In the original games it was only used to access the Underground, but they could add some extra tools to it that you can use to remove obstacles above ground, too.

With a name like "Explorer Kit" it almost sounds like it was destined to be an HM replacement.

Explorer_Kit.png

That thing is prepared to fight even Fairies.

Apparently not my Galarian Rapidash. I don't remember having any trouble with Leon at all. In fact, I think his Charizard may have been the only one that didn't get one-shotted. But it's been a year and a half so I don't remember for sure.

You already had the Rotom Bike for surf in Sw/Sh so I don't see why not expand that idea and let Rotom handle all the HMs. :unsure:

Rotom Chainsaw for Cut, Rotom Glider for Fly, Rotom Drill for Rock Smash etc etc...
Bold of you to assume Rotom works the same way in this era as it is in in modern times, let alone present in this era period. If we do get Rotom, expect it to only be the ball of lightning its placeholder sprite in the DP prototypes was. :p

As for my cut replacement, how about a scissor blade Kill la Kill style?

EDIT: Oops, I thought we were in the Lengends: Arceus thread with that Rotom comment. I still think Rotom shouldn't be the HM equivalent this time around given how mysterious DPPt treated the Pokémon originally.

Last edited:
Apparently not my Galarian Rapidash. I don't remember having any trouble with Leon at all. In fact, I think his Charizard may have been the only one that didn't get one-shotted. But it's been a year and a half so I don't remember for sure.
Galarian Rapidash is faster than Haxorous.

I do think we would still see them riding on the back of a Pokemon to traverse water, however, because the old surfing sprites are iconic and I think ILCA will want to preserve that.

One way they could maybe do it is by having Floatzel "stations" set up around water areas. Kind of like Mantine surfing, but without the minigame - you'd walk up, ask to rent a Floatzel, and surf around the area on it. That might involve a bit more tinkering with the look of the game than they're willing to do, though.

Someone remade the trailer for the games as the remakes of our dreams:
I don't want to be that one person, but it's much easier to make a single, 1-2 minute video using already existing models than it is to make a whole video game. The fanmade trailer is really nice, but I don't think it's a fair comparison.

I don't want to be that one person, but it's much easier to make a single, 1-2 minute video using already existing models than it is to make a whole video game. The fanmade trailer is really nice, but I don't think it's a fair comparison.
I don't think that comparing the ability of a single person with that of a billion dollars franchise is a fair comparison either. I did not say that person made an entire new game, I said that he/she remade the trailer so it could look like the remakes people wanted. Let that person direct 150 developers with a millionaire budget and he/she would probably make that trailer an entire game :)

I think this is the part people disagree with. Making a halfway decent trailer does not suggest the ability to direct an entire game.
Oh I don't know if he/she can direct a pokemon game or not, but considering how well received pokemon games are these days, at least he/she was good enough to understand how people wanted d/p remakes to look like. While I honestly don't care that much about BDSP considering that Legends exists, I'm still wondering why they outsourced a game just to make it look like a 15 years old game. Once they decided to make someone else make a pokemon game, they could at least let them make it their own way. We could have had two remakes that looked like that this time, they just decided not to.
I mean, my 3DS still works and Pearl runs perfectly on it, right now I see no reason to have a remastered DS game when I can easly play the DS game itself.

Oh I don't know if he/she can direct a pokemon game or not, but considering how well received pokemon games are these days, at least he/she was good enough to understand how people wanted d/p remakes to look like.
This assumes that A) there is a broad fan consensus on what the games should've look like, and B) that TPCi was somehow unaware of it. For all we know, whoever was in charge of the planning for this game may have been aware that some fans wanted a SwSh-esque but ultimately decided against it.
I'm still wondering why they outsourced a game just to make it look like a 15 years old game.
Presumably to free-up resources for perhaps their most ambitious project.
Once they decided to make someone else make a pokemon game, they could at least let them make it their own way.
I don't think there's any evidence suggesting that this rather conservative approach was the decision of ILCA or not.

This assumes that A) there is a broad fan consensus on what the games should've look like, and B) that TPCi was somehow unaware of it. For all we know, whoever was in charge of the planning for this game may have been aware that some fans wanted a SwSh-esque but ultimately decided against it.

Presumably to free-up resources for perhaps their most ambitious project.

I don't think there's any evidence that this rather conservative approach was the decision of ILCA or not.
1) Well, It's just that I read a lot of comments on twitter/youtube and I litterally saw no one who saw the first trailer saying: "that's exactly what I was expecting from d/p remakes". I'm totally aware that they decided against it despite knowing what people actually wanted. I would like to understand why.
2) Yeah, the biggest franchise in history needed to save resources because it cannot handle two projects at the same time. Or maybe they just don't want to.
3) It's difficult for me to imagine a developing studio that can finally put its hands on pokemon saying "You know what? Let's just copy-paste the old game, who cares". I just can't, sorry.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom