• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

1) Well, It's just that I read a lot of comments on twitter/youtube and I litterally saw no one who saw the first trailer saying: "that's exactly what I was expecting from d/p remakes". I'm totally aware that they decided against it despite knowing what people actually wanted. I would like to understand why.
2) Yeah, the biggest franchise in history needed to save resources because it cannot handle two projects at the same time. Or maybe they just don't want to.
3) It's difficult for me to imagine a developing studio that can finally put its hands on pokemon saying "You know what? Let's just copy-paste the old game, who cares". I just can't, sorry.
I certainly wouldn’t make the assumption that the entire/majority fanbase agrees on what they want. We haven’t done any research beyond “what we see on Twitter and YouTube”, which could very well be a vocal minority. Presumably the company making the games have actually looked into what appeals to their target audience.

...the biggest franchise in history did handle two projects at once. TPCi usually commissions GameFreak to create its main games, this time they commissioned ILCA because GF was likely busy with Legends. (And, yes, I know GF makes up a 3rd of TPCi, that doesn’t change anything).

Calling this a copy/paste game after one trailer and the word “faithful” being used vaguely somewhere is a leap.

I certainly wouldn’t make the assumption that the entire/majority fanbase agrees on what they want. We haven’t done any research beyond “what we see on Twitter and YouTube”, which could very well be a vocal minority. Presumably the company making the games have actually looked into what appeals to their target audience.

...the biggest franchise in history did handle two projects at once. TPCi usually commissions GameFreak to create its main games, this time they commissioned ILCA because GF was likely busy with Legends.

Calling this a copy/paste game after one trailer and the word “faithful” being used vaguely somewhere is a leap.
As I said, maybe it's just me, but I saw no one who actually expected this. Maybe you did, maybe they did. I did not.
You talk about GF and TPCì as if GF was not part of TPCì. They own 1/3 of pokemon, it's not like they are not part of that decision. And I know they did two projects at the same time in the past, I just don't understand why they should have saved resources when they could simply invest more if they wanted. It's not like they don't have money.
Faithful, nostalgic, carefully recreated...I mean the message here is that these games are "faithful" remakes ---> remastered.
I'm sorry, but from my point of view the truth is that they needed to make three games (d/p remakes / Legends /gen 9), they couldn't handle them and decided to give the remakes to ILCA. They simply didn't want someone else to have the possibility to imprint Pokemon with a new personality, so they asked them to recreate d/p 1:1. But this is what I think clearly...

You talk about GF and TPCì as if GF was not part of TPCì. They own 1/3 of pokemon, it's not like they are not part of that decision. And I know they did two projects at the same time in the past, I just don't understand why they should have saved resources when they could simply invest more if they wanted. It's not like they don't have money.
Faithful, nostalgic, carefully recreated...I mean the message here is that these games are "faithful" remakes ---> remastered.
I'm sorry, but from my point of view the truth is that they needed to make three games (d/p remakes / Legends /gen 9), they couldn't handle them and decided to give the remakes to ILCA. They simply didn't want someone else to have the possibility to imprint Pokemon with a new personality, so they asked them to recreate d/p 1:1. But this is what I think clearly...
You may have missed my edit, but GF being a 3rd of TPCi doesn’t make them the same entity. Whether the games are being developed by GF or ILCA, they still fall under the umbrella of TPCi. It’s clear that GF is spending a ton of resources to create Legends, so why spread them thinner when ILCA are prefects capable developers themselves with a readily available team?

Anyway. If you’d like to cling these being 1:1 remasters based largely on assumptions rather than evidence, that’s your prerogative. Personally, I’d like to reserve judgement until I’ve actually seen more of the game.

You may have missed my edit, but GF being a 3rd of TPCi doesn’t make them the same entity. Whether the games are being developed by GF or ILCA, they still fall under the umbrella of TPCi. It’s clear that GF is spending a ton of resources to create Legends, so why spread them thinner when ILCA are prefects capable developers themselves with a readily available team?

Anyway. If you’d like to cling these being 1:1 remasters based largely on assumptions rather than evidence, that’s your prerogative. Personally, I’d like to reserve judgement until I’ve actually seen more of the game.
No, no, I don't want to make any assumption, friend. This is how the games were presented. If you want to expect something else, do it but remember that the games were presented as "faithful remakes that have a nostalgic feel", so if they are something different from the d/p of 15 years ago then they were not presented the right way.

1) Well, It's just that I read a lot of comments on twitter/youtube and I litterally saw no one who saw the first trailer saying: "that's exactly what I was expecting from d/p remakes". I'm totally aware that they decided against it despite knowing what people actually wanted. I would like to understand why.

Well, all I was expecting was Diamond and Pearl remakes, and we got just that. There are going to be people angry no matter what GF decides to do, so I don't know if it's a matter of them going against the wishes of the fanbase. There are far too many different opinions in the fanbase.
I'm just gonna wait for more trailers and see what else these remakes have to offer. I'm more excited for Legends, but I still think BDSP looks cool (in my opinion).

Let that person direct 150 developers with a millionaire budget and he/she would probably make that trailer an entire game :)

It's one thing to animate/rig 3D models. It's another thing entirely to direct over a hundred people with making a game and to manage a budget.

Well, all I was expecting was Diamond and Pearl remakes, and we got exactly that. I don't really want too much from video games, other than a fun experience. There are going to be people angry no matter what GF decides to do.
I'm just gonna wait for more trailers and see what else these remakes have to offer. I'm more excited for Legends, but I still think BDSP looks cool (in my opinion).

It's one thing to animate/rig 3D models. It's another thing entirely to direct over a hundred people with making a game and to manage a budget.
Everyone was expecting d/p remakes. Are you really telling me that what you were expecting from these remakes is chibi style with random encounters? I mean, GF has always updated the remakes to the current generation. I still don't understand how people could have expected them to go back this time, but hey, as I said, maybe it's just me.

Everyone was expecting d/p remakes. Are you really telling me that what you were expecting from these remakes is chibi style with random encounters? I mean, GF has always updated the remakes to the current generation. I still don't understand how people could have expected them to go back this time, but hey, as I said, maybe it's just me.

No, all I was expecting was there to be remakes. I wasn't expecting any particular style (expect I wasn't thinking they would go with a hyper realistic style, but hey, who knows, maybe they'll do it for Black/White remakes).

Everyone was expecting d/p remakes. Are you really telling me that what you were expecting from these remakes is chibi style with random encounters?
I think some people don't really care about the chibis as long as they get the remakes they've been waiting for years.

No, no, I don't want to make any assumption, friend. This is how the games were presented. If you want to expect something else, do it but remember that the games were presented as "faithful remakes that have a nostalgic feel", so if they are something different from the d/p of 15 years ago then they were not presented the right way.
It is an assumption, either way. You’ve chosen to make your assumption based on the word “faithful”, I’ve chosen to make the assumption that we have more to see.

I think it's interesting for them to go with an art style different from SwSh. It spices things up.
LGPE were stylistically different (maybe not as different as SwSh, but different enough), and it made them interesting and unique.

Or maybe I just like chibis from so many years of liking cute Pokémon and Sanrio, idk. Take everything I say on the art style with a grain of salt.

It is an assumption, either way. You’ve chosen to make your assumption based on the word “faithful”, I’ve chosen to make the assumption that we have more to see.
It's funny that I made an assumption based on what they said (which it's not an assumption) while you made an assumption based...on what you want XD

It's funny that I made an assumption based on what they said (which it's not an assumption) while you made an assumption based...on what you want XD
They said “faithful”. This, to you, means the entire game will be 1:1 with no changes and we might as well all go back and keep playing the originals. That seems like a far larger extrapolation than just saying “I need to see more” based on the objective fact that we haven’t been exposed to much of the game yet.

They said “faithful”. This, to you, means the entire game will be 1:1 with no changes and we might as well all go back and keep playing the originals. That seems like a far larger extrapolation than just saying “I need to see more” based on the objective fact that we haven’t been exposed to much of the game yet.
Their words:
" The original story has been faithfully reproduced, and the sense of scale in the originals’ towns and routes has been carefully preserved. People who played Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl can revisit familiar places and relive familiar scenes once more. "
What should I think exactly? Why should I assume that they are making these games different from the original ones when they are clearly telling me to expect the same thing? I mean, even random battles are back. Isn't it obvious they want us to think these are faithful remakes?

Their words:
" The original story has been faithfully reproduced, and the sense of scale in the originals’ towns and routes has been carefully preserved. People who played Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl can revisit familiar places and relive familiar scenes once more. "
What should I think exactly? Why should I assume that they are making these games different from the original ones when they are clearly telling me to expect the same thing? I mean, even random battles are back. Isn't it obvious they want us to think these are faithful remakes?
They are only talking about the design and story, not the gameplay.

I mean, even if they are faithful for the most part, that doesn't mean they can't change anything. The story could be the same for the most part, but maybe they give more backstory to characters, or fix problems with the original, or add/explain things here and there.

Or maybe everything is the same until the ending, which is completely different, and Professor Rowan comes up to you and says, "It's a metaphor, [player character]" like in some indie art film. idk.

Their words:
All that means is that the storyline will be the same (not surprising at all, when has a remake ever drastically altered the original story?), and the graphics will be reminiscent of the originals. They also make a point of saying that the games will include the luxuries and quality of life improvements that fans have come to expect from the series (I can’t remember their exact words), meaning there will definitely be some QoL improvements at the very least.

They are only talking about the design and story, not the gameplay.
Guys, maybe the gameplay will be different, but do you understand that I cannot imagine these games to be just what I want them to be? They are telling me these are faithful remakes and till the moment they come and tell me "well they are not exactly faithful remakes" I have to believe what they are telling me.
And let's be honest, if "different" means that HMs are gone but the plot, the region, the fights are the same, well, they still remain faithful remakes.

I mean, at what point is something no longer "faithful"? Is keeping the general vibe the broad extent of "faithful", or does it extend to every small detail?
You cannot replace HMs and introduce fairy type and call a game "new". If the plot is the same, the region is the same, and the trainers are the same then these are faithful remakes to me and not the traditional remakes we are used to.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom