• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I don’t think people (at least myself) are dismissing the trailer as much as they are asking some people to stop pushing it as part of the fallacious narrative that fan-made things are usually better than actual Pokémon games. At best, you could argue that this is a better vision for the games. You can’t argue that these are better games because, well, they aren’t games at all.

To be fair, it's easy to make a good-looking 1 minute thing with no external factors or other issues that come peeking around the corner when you're just sitting there in your basement having no obligations to anyone and can just do whatever you like.

To be fair, it's easy to make a good-looking 1 minute thing with no external factors or other issues that come peeking around the corner when you're just sitting there in your basement having no obligations to anyone and can just do whatever you like.
I don’t know that it’s easy, (mind you, I really don’t have much experience with 3D modeling and the like), but it certainly isn’t comparable to the level of work and effort needed to create a full game. But I appreciate it for what it is.

I don’t know that it’s easy, (mind you, I really don’t have much experience with 3D modeling and the like), but it certainly isn’t comparable to the level of work and effort needed to create a full game. But I appreciate it for what it is.
It's definitely impressive for a fan-made trailer, but I'm just displeased with the idea of this being used by fans as a "This is what GF could do if they actually put in some effort" card, when, again, it's much easier to produce a trailer of this quality than an actual game.

I respect the creator of the video, even if they resued models, because I can't even move PokéMas models in Blender without detaching the arms from the body.
3D modeling is confusing.

I mean, at what point is something no longer "faithful"? Is keeping the general vibe the broad extent of "faithful", or does it extend to every small detail?

That's subjective, but generally Game Freak leans to the conservative end of the spectrum and keep most of it the same. I would expect few changes.

I'm confused. If the story is the same, wouldn't that mean the gameplay is also the same to an extent? During the early parts of the story, Mars will try to steal energy at Valley Windworks. You as the player will have to intervene to stop their plans. So in order to learn what Team Galactic is up to and proceed with the story, you have to confront Team Galactic at Valley Windworks and battle Mars.

I don't see how you'd be able to change the gameplay here. Some minor examples could include that you battle more/less grunts, if the structure/building puzzle of Valley Windworks have seen a major overhaul, if the battle with Mars is entirely optional/skipped, if there is a completely different Commander, or if there were major changes to the story (which is unlikely due to the wording of "faithful") and Team Galactic is not going to be at Valley Windworks. Even the ones I mentioned in the list are examples of minor changes/updates that it doesn't really seem like a major change in gameplay.

Just in case anyone is wondering:

So gameplay is heavily tied to story.

Those are some pretty broad strokes you're painting when it comes to gameplay. The story does place some limits on the gameplay in that there are certain areas you would have to visit in a certain order and certain events you would need to engage in at certain times, but there's still a large variety of things they could do to shake things up. Adding more grunts is a good example, another would be changing Mars' team, or they could add a new battle mechanic that could affect how that battle plays out. Changing the design of Valley Windworks might also work, but that's more along the lines of level design than gameplay.

That being said, I don't expect much changes period, but in theory given the PR statement they've provided, there is room for some changes. Adding new Pokemon, new trainers, more lore and detail to the story worked into the original story's framework, and more sidequests and extra features are still on the table, but in actuality I don't think they'll take advantage. They're clearly indicating that these games are meant to be similar to appeal to the nostalgia of the originals, so they won't want to mess with things too much.

If Amity Square came back, I'd love to see any Pokemon be able to walk with you in that area - and have the guy who complained about the area discriminating his Gyarados and Machamp strolling around there with his Pokemon. He deserves justice!

...Having said that, it may end up being too much work in these remakes, given they'd have they'd have to model and animate all those chibi mons. -_-

Wait... Maybe it wasn't Machamp, but Steelix instead. Nothing like a steel snake following you around in a peaceful stroll. Where's Mah Chibi Steelix?! x)

I had an interesting thought. If Pokemon Camp doesn't return as something we can do anywhere, I wonder if Amity Square could be made into a camping area since before it was a place to chill with certain Pokémon. Now, it would be annoying to not be able to use camp anywhere at will (and tbh I DO want camp to return as it was in SWSH), but if not, I thought this could be an interesting alternative. Pokemon would pick up random items in Amity Square, which can also happen in camp so I think it could mesh will hypothetically.
Maybe it could become a mini-game hub as well. We most likely won't be getting anything to replace the Veilstone Game Corner since they'd rather shut it down instead of revamping it with arcade games for some reason.

Just out of curiosity, are arcade games considered a depiction of gambling that would bump-up the PEGI rating under UK or general European law? I'm in the United States so I am unsure if that's a valid reason for TPCi to outright close the Game Corners instead of revamping them to be less about gambling.

Maybe it could become a mini-game hub as well. We most likely won't be getting anything to replace the Veilstone Game Corner since they'd rather shut it down instead of revamping it with arcade games for some reason.

Just out of curiosity, are arcade games considered a depiction of gambling that would bump-up the PEGI rating under UK or general European law? I'm in the United States so I am unsure if that's a valid reason for TPCi to outright close the Game Corners instead of revamping them to be less about gambling.
They could just make minigames like the Pokemon Amie minigames in XY and ORAS and add those to the Veilstone Game Corner.

The way the Game Corner has been handled so far since it was removed from even from the remakes of games that used to have it has always been head scratching. So many ways to make it into worthwhile for side content, but they decide to just have it closed. HGSS is the only exception here and that should be the rule and not the exception.

I don't know a lot about how game ratings work, but I did notice that the Gen 1 and Gen 2 games all had their PEGI ratings increased to 12 when they were released on the Virtual Console, no doubt because of the Game Corner.

Depicting arcades doesn't seem to be an issue, as long as you can't actually play gambling games on them. HGSS had arcades with Voltorb Flip, and Let's Go had arcades that do nothing at all; neither game had its rating increased as a result.

Last edited:
i think its a given the game corner wont be included if we assume oras set the precedent of how game corners work in a "we cant upset pegi lest we stain our game with a rating thats higher than 7" world, but totally unrelated: am i the only one whos really bummed out that we likely wont get any new character designs and sugimori style art for the trainers??

i think one of the reasons i like remakes so much is that they give the trainers new designs and update their art........ hgss and oras made the gym leaders look really cool and full of personality and to me, just making high quality 3d renders of the old art and saying "new art!!" doesnt work for me. then again this might be a me issue because i spend way too much time staring at sugimoris/mizutanis art and admiring how cool they are

I think Diamond & Pearl was just when they started having a clearer idea of the definitive look they wanted for each character. Cynthia has appeared many times since DP, but never once has she been redesigned in any way. Same for Looker. I feel as though in Gen 3, they were experimenting with moving toward a more anime-esque style, but didn't get it totally settled until Gen 4. That's when you start to see the Sugimori art become a lot more polished and standardized.

Like, take Ghetsis or N for example. I really feel like that's how those characters are meant to look, in a way that the original Roxanne or Steven's designs maybe aren't, and I'd be really surprised if they tweaked N and Ghetsis's designs in any eventual Unova remakes.

I think Diamond & Pearl was just when they started having a clearer idea of the definitive look they wanted for each character. Cynthia has appeared many times since DP, but never once has she been redesigned in any way. Same for Looker. I feel as though in Gen 3, they were experimenting with moving toward a more anime-esque style, but didn't get it totally settled until Gen 4. That's when you start to see the Sugimori art become a lot more polished and standardized.
It's also around that time where they started to drop the Toriyama-esque style the first two gens had.

I don't know what you mean by Toriyama style.

Comparing the early character design to the works of Akira Toriyama, such as Dragon Ball. This will be oversimplifying things a fair bit, but here's some examples:

Red_Blue_Lance.png
Gold_Silver_Morty.png
009Blastoise_RB.png

dragon-ball-z-238500.png

Do you see a similarity between the two in terms of the angularity of the lines used, and especially with the simple eye shapes?

Now compare those Gen 1 and 2 arts to their more modern equivalents:

HeartGold_SoulSilver_Lance.png
HeartGold_SoulSilver_Morty.png
009Blastoise.png

See how the looks become more defined and unique from each other? Morty's hair now uses curved lines to portray a softer hair quality, and while Lance's retains its spikiness, the lines are still a little softer. The brow on Blastoise is less sharp, and also note how all three now have distinct irises and eye colors.

I'm glad they made the change. The generation 1 and 2 artwork for some characters, especially Silver now that I think about it, makes it look like they have no chins.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom