• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I wonder how they'll handle dual slot encounters.
I expect those Pokemon to just be added to the regional dex and made into normal encounters.
Maybe bringing in a Pokemon from Home from one region triggers dual-slot encounters for Pokemon from that region?
That would mean that three Sinnoh Pokemon (Electivire, Magmortar, and Gliscor) are locked behind a Home subscription, assuming that these games use the original DP Sinnoh Dex.

Comparing the early character design to the works of Akira Toriyama, such as Dragon Ball. This will be oversimplifying things a fair bit, but here's some examples:

Red_Blue_Lance.png
Gold_Silver_Morty.png
009Blastoise_RB.png

dragon-ball-z-238500.png

Do you see a similarity between the two in terms of the angularity of the lines used, and especially with the simple eye shapes?

Now compare those Gen 1 and 2 arts to their more modern equivalents:

HeartGold_SoulSilver_Lance.png
HeartGold_SoulSilver_Morty.png
009Blastoise.png

See how the looks become more defined and unique from each other? Morty's hair now uses curved lines to portray a softer hair quality, and while Lance's retains its spikiness, the lines are still a little softer. The brow on Blastoise is less sharp, and also note how all three now have distinct irises and eye colors.
This reminds me, oras was the only remake to not include new art for the Pokemon. Only the starters got a new art pose, which is ignores in home for their old art poses btw. Gen 3 is where the art came to find its own. That lance art is from frlg(?) And it looks like something sugimori might draw today. LGPE only had new art because of the chibified art style

I think it’s highly unlikely the Porygon-Z shown in the trailer wasn’t part of the regional Dex.
Electivire got a big reveal prior to DP (in the anime and CoroCoro) and Dragonite was in a B2W2 trailer. Still, you'd think Masuda wouldn't want to be that conservative considering that no one was satisfied with the original Sinnoh Pokedex.

Last edited:
Electrive? Really? Were they trying to force popularity on it?

I mean, at least Lucario and Zoroark look cool.

Electrive? Really? Were they trying to force popularity on it?

I mean, at least Lucario and Zoroark look cool.
Well that's a bit harsh considering there's plenty of people out there who genuinely find Electivire cool :p

Anyway, I'm not sure if they were "trying to force popularity" so much as Electivire was simply chosen as a representative of the new evolutions for old Pokemon, and imo it was a pretty good pick, considering it's the evolved form of a Gen 1 Pokemon and it had an Ability that was completely new back then and also completely unique to it.

Electivire got a big reveal prior to DP (in the anime and CoroCoro) and Dragonite was in a B2W2 trailer. Still, you'd think Masuda wouldn't want to be that conservative considering that no one was satisfied with the original Sinnoh Pokedex.
I don’t think they’d go out of their way to show PZ in the trailer while at the same time claiming that the game would be faithful to the originals if they weren’t suggesting that it was an exception. Having two examples in the past out of hundreds of Pokémon shown in trailers isn’t really much of an indicator to me.

Yeah, and I don't think that HMs are gonna return either.

all i can say is i m satisfied with the result its something what i expect certainly but it can be worst i dont expect in this point the complete dex with all generations because for logic maybe we have the dex like original games maybe forms but who knows

but still i feel something goes wrong and it can be in a dissapointing thing and unpleasant for veteran players for new ones its another entry to play basically without any complain

Speaking of Electivire, still waiting for Electric/Fighting Mega Electivire to be a thing.
While I do like the concept of new-type combinations, I don't believe in high-jacking them in a mega evolution.

Would rather there just be new Electric/Fighting types, or, new regional variants as a 2nd, than to have them in mega evolutions as new types.

However, there are certain advantages to mega-evolving into a different type, strategically. So I will list a counter-example. Suppose Electivire were fighting a Psychic type, then situations like that you don't want to mega evolve into Electric/Fighting if it will give an immediate disadvantage. But the idea of different abilities is already known.

I wonder whether we actually will see the protagonist doing that shrinking animation, like in the original games?
I'm sure yes, I don't see why not. I would doubt it if all the character models were small, but we saw that in battles (and probably in cut scenes as well) they have their normal size.

Do we know when the next trailer and news announcement will be? It's been well over a month since the last one! The ORAS trailers mainly showcased the new Mega Evolutions, but assuming there isn't going to be anything like that in BDSP, I wonder what the trailers will focus on? And will they continue to release information for BDSP and Legends alongside, or will they focus on BDSP first? I'm looking forward to seeing what they do.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom