• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

According to famitsu Theres more interest in bdsp than in Legends arceus

I think Gen VIII's method was better. I think they had realized the previous two Generations had revealed too much in advance.
I disagree. Both methods were incredibly bad in both extremes. Sun/Moon revealed everything while way too less was revealed for Sword and Shield. And then there was this making people stare at a screen jolt to reveal one Pokémon thing.

There should be a medium, and Sword and Shield was way too boring for a release cycle of one of their most ambitious projects at the time.

I can't say that I'm versed in marketing tactics, but even as someone who grew to enjoy Sword and Shield by the time it launched; I certainly do not compliment the lack of news compared to the train of information that Sun/Moon had. Sure, the advertising campaign of the latter revealed a whole load more Pokemon and other stuff than necessary; but a lot of the information did exactly as what it probably intended to do: excite me. By contrast, I really wasn't hyped for SwSh at all until they revealed that regional forms are returning; and without the 'Gen 1-only' limit to boot.

According to famitsu Theres more interest in bdsp than in Legends arceus
Maybe because it's closer? *shrugs*

Or just another case of cultural differences.

I’m not really sure how that was handled since I wasn’t really a part of the online fandom back then....

My memory is a bit hazy, but I remember thinking it struck a pretty good balance in terms of the amount of Pokémon and Mega Evolutions revealed versus withheld. I'll try to dig up the exact figures later, but there were quite a few left over to be discovered through release day gameplay even though they showed off more beforehand than SwSh did. They still did CoroCoro news drops back then, too, relying far less on web trailers than they do now (although that's one area in which I prefer the newer release procedure).

Granted, the rest of the new Pokémon inevitably did end up leaking early; however, I seem to recall Serebii's after-release discoveries thread being the ground on which a fair few Mega Evolutions were first posted. This is because at that time, the 3DS had yet to be hacked, so we didn't get the sort of all-encompassing datamine that we do now. Vivillon is another one that I remember standing out, because it had so many forms based on the player's location around the globe. Since there wasn't a major datamine, there were still new forms being discovered several days after October 12 as players in other countries began to post their findings online.

This is a somewhat rough and not-double-checked list, but (without taking leaks into account) here's what I think was left unrevealed by the time of X & Y's release:

Chesnaught, Delphox, Greninja, Diggersby, Floette, Florges, Espurr, Aegislash, Binacle, Barbaracle, Dragalge, Clawitzer, Heliolisk, Hawlucha, Carbink, Goomy, Sliggoo, Goodra, Klefki, Phantump, Pumpkaboo, Gourgeist, Bergmite, Avalugg, Noibat, Zygarde

Mega Alakazam, Mega Pinsir, Mega Gyarados, Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Scizor, Mega Heracross, Mega Houndoom, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Medicham, Mega Manectric, Mega Banette, Mega Abomasnow

If I recall correctly, Mega Aggron, Mega Tyranitar, and Mega Gengar were all revealed in the CoroCoro issue that went out around October 12, so they were more of a release day reveal (although the issue did get leaked a couple days early, as usual). Though we had actually seen Mega Aggron's silhouette earlier than that in a screenshot from Super Training (it appears as one of the balloon enemies). I remember people debating about whether that was really a Mega Aggron or not.

Maybe because it's closer? *shrugs*

Or just another case of cultural differences.
I'd like to think it's because of less vulnerability to video game hype culture. Large swathes of people just assumed for whatever reason that No Mans Sky and Cyberpunk 2077 would be so fucking amazing that they blow all other games out of the water such that people who played them wouldn't want to play the type of game that we're all used to. We don't know that much about Legends Arceus so the person with the active imagination and the love of open worlds can fill and the blanks where as a more cynical person would say "what can I do in this game either then run around in a field, dodge roll and catch wild pokemon?".

There usually doesn't seem to be anything substantial until around May-June.

XY: Announced in January 2013 with the starters, region, and mascot legendaries revealed. While little things like Sylveon was revealed through the months, we didn't get our next substantial update until May 2013 when we were introduced to Pancham, Fletchling, Gogoat, and Helioptile, as well as customization and the full Kalos map.
ORAS: Revealed in May 2014 with no significant news until June 2014 when we got the reveals of some characters and new Megas in Corocoro, as well as our first real look at some gameplay during E3.
SuMo: Announced in February with no real info on the games until May 2016, when they finally revealed the region was Alola and the starters were Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio.
USUM: Revealed in June 2017 with a look at some gameplay and the new Necrozma forms, with the next bits of information coming out in August 2017.
LGPE: First revealed in May 2018 with the next details coming out during June 2018 at E3.
SwSh: First revealed in February 2019 with our next ounce of info not coming out until June 2019 when information about Galar, some new Pokemon, the Wild Area, and Dynamax was revealed.

For BDSP, I imagine our next real look at the game will come out during E3 2021. We already know most of what the game will include, considering this is a remake, though its really just a matter of finding out about QoL improvements, if something like regional variants or Megas is brought in, if it includes features from Platinum, any special new features exclusive to BDSP, or any potential Platinum story.

Granted, the rest of the new Pokémon inevitably did end up leaking early; however, I seem to recall Serebii's after-release discoveries thread being the ground on which a fair few Mega Evolutions were first posted.

The only X and Y leaks I saw were some blurry pictures of Chesnaught, Delphox and Greninja a day or two before the release. I'm glad I didn't know about the rest. X and Y is actually the only game where I've had the experience of discovering new Pokemon while playing, due to the simultaneous worlwide release as well as the fact that I missed most of the leaks.

I think X and Y's pre-release coverage was almost spot-on, but they revealed slightly too many Pokemon. I would have liked to have had even more to discover. I'm glad they kept some of the Mega Evolutions secret because I had a blast discovering those. Tapping the Mega Evolution button and not knowing what my Abomasnow was about to turn into... I'll never forget that!

SwSh: First revealed in February 2019 with our next ounce of info not coming out until June 2019 when information about Galar, some new Pokemon, the Wild Area, and Dynamax was revealed.

I could have sworn that Sword and Shield's second trailer came out a month after the first... but you're right, it came out in June! Funny, I don't remember the wait being that long - otherwise I wouldn't have been getting so impatient for the next BDSP trailer.

I actually think Sword and Shield nailed the pre-release coverage. They revealed just enough, while still leaving plenty to discover. I regret looking at the leaks - had I avoided them, I could have had the same fresh experience that X and Y gave me, only on a much bigger scale.

Sun and Moon's pre-release period was, admittedly, one of the most exciting we've ever had, especially as there were so many new ideas in those games like Trials, Totem Pokemon, Ultra Beasts and so on. But I couldn't help but feel a bit cheated when I looked at the datamine and realised how few Pokemon had been kept secret.

Last edited:
I could have sworn that Sword and Shield's second trailer came out a month after the first... but you're right, it came out in June! Funny, I don't remember the wait being that long - otherwise I wouldn't have been getting so impatient for the next BDSP trailer.

I actually think Sword and Shield nailed the pre-release coverage. They revealed just enough, while still leaving plenty to discover. I regret looking at the leaks - had I avoided them, I could have had the same fresh experience that X and Y gave me, only on a much bigger scale.

Sun and Moon's pre-release period was, admittedly, one of the most exciting we've ever had, especially as there were so many new ideas in those games like Trials, Totem Pokemon, Ultra Beasts and so on. But I couldn't help but feel a bit cheated when I looked at the datamine and realised how few Pokemon had been kept secret.
I think XY had a better release cycle I think. The initial reveal gave us enough to be interested in, and they gave out tiny little things like Sylveon and a tease for Megas before the info really started to roll in, and even then it didn't feel like too much, like Sun and Moon.

Sun and Moon's release cycle was a little frustrating at first, considering we had nothing to go off of until May, but then they just started revealing pretty much EVERYTHING every 2-3 weeks until launch, and we were left without much to discover in terms of new Pokemon. It didn't help though that Game Freak has been introducing very small numbers of new Pokemon ever since Gen VI.

SwSh did better, though the time between the initial reveal and the first big update did kinda feel a little too long. There was still stuff to discover in terms of new Pokemon and such.

Truth be told, I'm actually mostly fine with SwSh's prerelease. I'd have liked a couple more species to be revealed, personally, but I also liked how the handful that were shown off felt like a set of chosen "ambassadors" for the games, if you will.

Really, if there's an area in which I think SwSh's prerelease disappointed me, I'd actually say it was in the promoted features, but that's more an issue with the game itself and what all it has to offer. I feel like there was just Camp, Max Raids, Poké Jobs, fashion, and League Cards, after which point they had to start scraping the barrel for some (admittedly very nice) quality of life improvements like Mints and transferable Egg moves.

I'd rather be surprised by the product after it releases than getting spoiled by all the announcements. Even if I try to avoid spoilers and leaks, there's almost no way to avoid official trailers when they are posted as ads in various websites, as Youtube ads, and even television ads. I usually stick to just the official trailers, and unfortunately USUM revealed way too much in their trailers that the game ended up showing nothing new and it was exactly what was in the trailers. Gen 6 did way better in the surprise department - I had no idea about Mega Gardevoir being a thing and I was thrilled at seeing it as the champion's ace after the game's release.

I can't lie - I'd love to see radio silence for until 2 months until release day. I don't like when game tease features to death, and as long as we know when the games are released, the fanbase doesn't need to deal with the constant barrage of spoilers and trailers.

Or, another way to say things: Wouldn't it be nice to just go into a game and explore its features and depth without all the pressures and presence of social media trying to explore everything about the game for you even before it comes out?

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom