• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Did they really just announce a Pokemon Unite presentation instead of a Sinnoh one? It's almost like they're trolling us. :LOL:
Don't think it's trolling. It's just their new MMO freemium game.

Look at the brightside, at least they told people it was only about Unite this time so the massive wave of disappointment wouldn't happen again.

Even though I'm disappointed that it wasn't a Pokemon Direct, I do appreciate that they told us in advance that it's just going to be about Pokemon Unite. That should ideally keep the backlash down to a minimum. I also hope that this doesn't make it less likely for a Pokemon Direct this month. I guess it's hard to say for sure either way when they usually make these announcements for announcements a day before the news drops.

Don't think it's trolling. It's just their new MMO freemium game.

Look at the brightside, at least they told people it was only about Unite this time so the massive wave of disappointment wouldn't happen again.

I know they wouldn't really troll us, but that's how it feels lol. It just seems like such an odd time to do this, right after people were disappointed by the lack of Sinnoh news in the Nintendo Direct.

It is good that they've told us it's only Unite news, though. Imagine the backlash there would have been otherwise!

I know they wouldn't really troll us, but that's how it feels lol. It just seems like such an odd time to do this, right after people were disappointed by the lack of Sinnoh news in the Nintendo Direct.

It is good that they've told us it's only Unite news, though. Imagine the backlash there would have been otherwise!

Why imagine when you can look back at last June. People were so angry and disappointed that the Presents video got downvoted into oblivion and the "pokemon made people" slide never became the meme it should have become.

Besides...like was said before in the thread, they probably planned the Sinnoh Presents to coincide with the Sinnoh month on the social media pages. They like to coincide mainline series announcements with whatever event is currently going on. Like how Galar was officially announced during their little travel video parody event.

why do people hate bdsp? why is this the only game ilca made? pls write the answers in the replies :bulbaforums:

1. Game Freak are working on Legends (and the next generation) instead. A few of them, like Masuda, are involved with developing BDSP, though.

2. The chibi style and overall faithfulness are the main reasons. I'm happy to replay Platinum (if I ever feel like it) instead of spending $60 on a remake that looks worse to me. "Hate" is such a strong word, though.

sorry for the hate i kinda like bdsp a little but i prefer sword and shield. Also thx!

I still don't get the hate for these remakes. Like the chibi style wouldn't have been my choice but they still look charming, i hope with time people will be more okay with how it looks. hopefully we get news soon.
Speaking for myself, these games look like a downgrade from Sword and Shield. I don't care that much about ghrapics, but these chibi like models will never get my love.

This image sums up my thoughts. Source: Sign the Petition

1623933338323.png

I still don't get the hate for these remakes
Hate is a strong word, it's more disappointment. Waiting 15 years for this remake and to end up looking like this obviously is gonna disappoint and underwhelm people. Specially when previous remakes looked as good as the main games of the generation they were in (in case of ORAS they actually looked better).

And here's thing with this: this is it when it comes to a remake of Gen 4. Gen 4 isn't Gen 1, it's not getting another remake. So the possibility of another remake that looks much better than this is pretty much zero.

Speaking for myself, these games look like a downgrade from Sword and Shield. I don't care that much about ghrapics, but these chibi like models will never get my love.

View attachment 146268
Those fan creations are only short scenes. Creating a full game with those graphics is much harder and expensive.

Hate is a strong word, it's more disappointment. Waiting 15 years for this remake and to end up looking like this obviously is gonna disappoint and underwhelm people. Specially when previous remakes looked as good as the main games of the generation they were in (in case of ORAS they actually looked better).

And here's thing with this: this is it when it comes to a remake of Gen 4. Gen 4 isn't Gen 1, it's not getting another remake. So the possibility of another remake that looks much better than this is pretty much zero.

technically Sinnoh is getting two remakes. I say technically because Legends Arceus isn't a remake but it is set in Sinnoh albeit in the past. I'll say this I wasn't expecting how BDSP looks but I'm alright with it, I appreciate that it's something a little different and the reason it looks the way it does is because Game Freak aren't making these remakes, they probably would look the way you want them to if they were but they're not, they outsourced these remakes because they are working on Legends (which is more of an upgrade from Sword and Shield) and I think creatively this was the right call, that way we get both remakes and something quite new too, Legends is imo the most exciting Pokemon game in recent memory because it could potentially change the franchise forever. If we were just getting BDSP without anything else and they looked like this I'd probably be a lot more upset but because Legends exists I'm not, if that makes sense. We're getting remakes and an open world prequel, and as a Pokemon fan I think that's pretty awesome! Anyway they may touch up some aspects before launch anyway, they won't overhaul how the game looks of course but I expect they'll add more polish to it. Though in this case all we can do is wait and see

View attachment 146268

well tbf BDSP aren't supposed to be an upgrade from SwSh, Legends is. And while I think this fan concept is really impressive I don't think anything like this could exist on the Switch, I mean we could get something like this in the future but probably not on Nintendo's current hardware though I could be wrong, we'll see what Gen 9 looks like whenever that gets announced (which probably won't be for a bit)

technically Sinnoh is getting two remakes. I say technically because Legends Arceus isn't a remake but it is set in Sinnoh albeit in the past. I'll say this I wasn't expecting how BDSP looks but I'm alright with it, I appreciate that it's something a little different and the reason it looks the way it does is because Game Freak aren't making these remakes, they probably would look the way you want them to if they were but they're not, they outsourced these remakes because they are working on Legends (which is more of an upgrade from Sword and Shield) and I think creatively this was the right call, that way we get both remakes and something quite new too, Legends is imo the most exciting Pokemon game in recent memory because it could potentially change the franchise forever. If we were just getting BDSP without anything else and they looked like this I'd probably be a lot more upset but because Legends exists I'm not, if that makes sense. We're getting remakes and an open world prequel, and as a Pokemon fan I think that's pretty awesome! Anyway they may touch up some aspects before launch anyway, they won't overhaul how the game looks of course but I expect they'll add more polish to it. Though in this case all we can do is wait and see
The existence of Legends doesn't justify BDSP looking like this. If they were just gonna be an afterthought (that's what they feel like) and play second fiddle to Legends, they should have instead delayed the remakes to some other time (specially because the yearly release has gotten obnoxious, and now we have two games so close to each other in terms of release. And no, being outsourced doesn't justify it in my opinion).

Last edited:
The existence of Legends doesn't justify BDSP looking like this. If they were just gonna be an afterthought (that's what they feel like) and play second fiddle to Legends, they should have instead delayed the remakes to some other time.

If BDSP are an afterthought and it comes down to one or the other, I think they'd be more likely to just not make them at all rather than delaying them in order to put more work into them, since they've also got Gen 9 in the works.

Like, I personally have been advocating the idea of them abandoning traditional remakes and doing more innovative takes on old regions (such as Legends) for a long time now. I'll still play BDSP, but if they didn't exist and Legends was our only Sinnohan nostalgia trip, I wouldn't really mind. However, that's kind of a radical position, and I think if Legends were all there was going to be, then people who were wanting "true" DP remakes would probably be disappointed. BDSP are Game Freak throwing those people a bone so they can still say they got "their" remake. Honestly, I'm kind of surprised they bothered, but if ILCA's willing to carry the weight, then I suppose GF's thinking is probably "Hey, why say no to easy money?"

However, that's kind of a radical position, and I think if Legends were all there was going to be, then people who were wanting "true" DP remakes would probably be disappointed. BDSP are Game Freak throwing those people a bone so they can still say they got "their" remake. Honestly, I'm kind of surprised they bothered, but if ILCA's willing to carry the weight, then I suppose GF's thinking is probably "Hey, why say no to easy money?"
That's the only reason i can find for BDSP being made now. Because a lot of people would be saying "Why are you making a prequel to the Gen 4 games? Where are the remakes?" and some other variation of this. Which i get, but i waited 15 years for this. I can wait more time.

But it doesn't matter anymore because they are being made now, and too late to back out.

The existence of Legends doesn't justify BDSP looking like this. If they were just gonna be an afterthought (that's what they feel like) and play second fiddle to Legends, they should have instead delayed the remakes to some other time (specially because the yearly release has gotten obnoxious, and now we have two games so close to each other in terms of release. And no, being outsourced doesn't justify it in my opinion).

they aren't an afterthought, they are just done by a different company. And anyway the yearly release thing has stopped being a thing, last year there was no mainline game (only DLC) and the way it looks was a creative decision which is why I can't be upset with this but I understand how you feel, not everyone is going to like it though I hope it grows on more people, in a similar way Link's Awakening did, we'll see.

they aren't an afterthought, they are just done by a different company.
Still feel like an afterthought to me. Specially the fact that they are outsourcing it, which usually means the company doesn't have much faith it or don't care to work on it and just dump it on some other company (which doesn't always happen, but it has happened a lot with other franchises).

Obviously this could well not be true in the end, but so far it's what it feels like to me.

And anyway the yearly release thing has stopped being a thing, last year there was no mainline game (only DLC)
It was still content released, and now we are gonna have two games being released two months close to each other. The yearly release hasn't died yet (we did have 2015 with literal no new content, but skipping a year after many in a row doesn't mean the trend has died).

and the way it looks was a creative decision which is why I can't be upset
Something being a deliberate decision doesn't mean you have to like it or be fine with it (which i'm not saying for you to not like it, i'm just saying people in general can dislike it). There's such a thing as disagreeing with a decision, regardless of being deliberate or not.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom