• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I am pretty sure that all left to do since the reveal trailer was improving the graphics. The graphics back then in the battles were rather bad and even though the overworld was decent, there still were far from perfect (wild grass and trees). Would at least explain why there was no trailer since the reveal. Now with that bit in the Switch OLED trailer screams "we're done, now we give you more info and trailer."

I'm kind of surprised that people really thought that the chibi character models for the game could have been changed due to fan backlash. I can understand not liking it, even though I think that they're cute and charming, but it would be far too late to make such a huge change with the games' graphics. I don't think the amount of mixed reactions on Twitter would have been enough for them to go back to the drawing board with the game. Not to mention that just sounds like a really bad way to handle video game development in general.

As for the new Switch, I can't really see them repeating the same mistake with the New 3DS with the Switch, especially when I assume one of the reasons the console has been such a huge hit is because fans don't have to choose between different systems to play different games. They wanted to show off a bit of BD/SP with their newest Switch system, but it won't be exclusive for that model.
Fan backlash over art design grinds my gears (no klink stop not the move!) Let the devloper make the game the way they want it. Its like telling an artist to change their painting because you don't like it. I also feel it stifles creativity when things look realistic. I personally feel wind waker is much more alive than twilight princess, more expressions more colorful, cooler bosses and music. But because the fandom wanted fark and edgy we got twilight princess (which don't get me wrong I love it still a solid 8/10 for me) and It felt lifeless at times to me.

Also I only bring them up because pokemon gets compared to Zelda a lot especially with this game and links awakening

Last edited:
Fan backlash over art design grinds my gears (no klink stop not the move!) Let the devloper make the game the way they want it. Its like telling an artist to change their painting because you don't like it. I also feel it stifles creativity when things look realistic. I personally feel wind waker is much more alive than twilight princess, more expressions more colorful, cooler bosses and music. But because the fandom wanted fark and edgy we got twilight princess (which don't get me wrong I love it still a solid 8/10 for me) and It felt lifeless at times to me.

Also I only bring them up because pokemon gets compared to Zelda a lot especially with this game and links awakening
So while I definitely don’t mind the artistic choice as much as others that I’ve seen, I don’t think it being an artistic choice should make it immune to criticism. Let’s not forget that at the end of the day, they are developing a game for consumers and money. Therefore, if the majority of these consumers do not care for an artistic choice in the game to the point where they don’t buy it, that is 100% something the developer should be aware of and make changes based off of. Artists paint for themselves; not to please an audience (other than commissions).

Let the devloper make the game the way they want it.
Basically what you are saying is that we shouldn't criticize anything they do, even if we heavily disagree with some of their choices? Gotcha.

This is such a backwards statement to make. Tons of games were made better by feedback, i was even beta testing for one and a lot stuff changed for the better because of player suggesting changes. Tons of dev teams ask for feedback and for good reason. Obviously bad feedback is a thing, but saying for people to let devs do whatever game they want and not say a thing about it is not how games get better. Devs can change their mind or get inspired by a suggestion from a fan.

Last edited:
So while I definitely don’t mind the artistic choice as much as others that I’ve seen, I don’t think it being an artistic choice should make it immune to criticism. Let’s not forget that at the end of the day, they are developing a game for consumers and money. Therefore, if the majority of these consumers do not care for an artistic choice in the game to the point where they don’t buy it, that is 100% something the developer should be aware of and make changes based off of. Artists paint for themselves; not to please an audience (other than commissions).
Yeah though changing the chibis isn't really possible though. They can polish up the visuals and make improvements (as we've seen) but they cannot change the visual art style without completely redoing the game (which isn't an option)

Yeah though changing the chibis isn't really possible though. They can polish up the visuals and make improvements (as we've seen) but they cannot change the visual art style without completely redoing the game (which isn't an option)
Whether they can change it or not doesn’t make it immune to being criticized. Besides, I don’t think most people here are saying that they must change BDSP at this stage. But people’s reaction to the chibi art style definitely should influence their future decisions and change things if necessary.

Last edited:
Honestly, they need to have news soon, because graphical updates alone sure aren't enough to get most of the people who already bought the originals or Platinum to buy these games. At least shadow-dropping a trailer should suffice.
Seriously, we need more info on both games. We need to know if BDSP will have any new content. We need to know if any Pokemon will have new forms. We need to know what new QoL features it will have. We need to know if there will be Platinum content. We need to know if its simply a 1-for-1 remake with nothing new, which I hope not. And for Legends: Arceus, there's still many questions people have regarding this game. They need to show more to convince people to buy it. I'm sure they were waiting until the graphics were updated, but still, we haven't heard anything about it in 5 months and BDSP is 4 months away.

Last edited:
I feel that they chose this art style because it would not really be a faithful recreation if they used Sword and Shield's art style.

Didn't stop FRLG, HGSS, and ORAS. I think the real reason they chose the chibi artstyle because it's cheap, it's an outsourced game made by a less experienced company so a SwSh style 3D game might've been too much for ILCA.

Admittedly, I don't know if they need to convince that many people to buy the games exactly. Plenty of fans of the original games would be interested in playing these just for the nostalgia factor alone and there would be a lot of new fans interested in experiencing these games for the first time too. That being said, the games obviously still need promotion just to keep them within the general public's attention before they come out. Not to mention I've been eager for news on these games since they randomly dropped the release dates in May. I keep checking Serebii for any sudden new announcements too. I'm still hoping that we'll get something this month and we're still relatively early in July for that to happen, especially when something like a Pokemon Direct would only be announced a day or two before it happens.

Admittedly, I don't know if they need to convince that many people to buy the games exactly. Plenty of fans of the original games would be interested in playing these just for the nostalgia factor alone and there would be a lot of new fans interested in experiencing these games for the first time too. That being said, the games obviously still need promotion just to keep them within the general public's attention before they come out. Not to mention I've been eager for news on these games since they randomly dropped the release dates in May. I keep checking Serebii for any sudden new announcements too. I'm still hoping that we'll get something this month and we're still relatively early in July for that to happen, especially when something like a Pokemon Direct would only be announced a day or two before it happens.
I meant when it came to Legends Arceus for convincing. When it comes to BDSP, the nostalgia factor alone will be enough for people to buy this game. Its just a matter of people wanting to know if it will have some new content or if its a 1-for-1 remake with no big changes.

I feel like I'm just contributing to a huge, loud droning chant by saying this, but honestly I wish I have an actual reason to look forward to getting this game. Compared to the Let's Go shitpiles, I absolutely will buy Shining Pearl and I'll probably enjoy it. But like... outside of the momentary amusement of learning that the developers of the game apparently worked on that Domino's Hatsune Miku app; I haven't ever felt any sort of enthusiasm or passion for this game; and I'm not exactly someone who's all for nostalgia-hogging, either.

Didn't stop FRLG, HGSS, and ORAS. I think the real reason they chose the chibi artstyle because it's cheap, it's an outsourced game made by a less experienced company so a SwSh style 3D game might've been too much for ILCA.
ILCA literally stands for “I love computer art”. I’m pretty sure they know their way around artistic 3D designs. They also have plenty of experience with other games with more complex art styles. I don’t really think it’s fair to cite “cheap”ness as a factor either, considering we don’t know how wide the disparity in price between chibi and full-size models is or if there even is one.

I know I've said it before, but I think what's going on here is pretty obvious.

SwSh has evolved the series's graphics and level design beyond the ubiquitous top-down, tile-based mapping of previous titles. HGSS and ORAS were always going to be inherently faithful to the maps of the original games, because both DP and even XY were still using that same general style. But that kind of faithfulness is no longer inherent, so they're just splitting the difference - people who want the maps and scale of the original DP can find precisely that in BDSP. People who want to see Sinnoh elevated to the Gen 8 graphical level can find that in Legends: Arceus.

93.jpg

6.jpg

I don't think it's any sort of indictment of ILCA's capabilities that Game Freak want to handle the more complicated and radical project themselves. It just plain and simply is easier, and less of an ask, to recreate Sinnoh in the top-down, tile-based style it originated in, because the foundation already exists. So you can more readily entrust that kind of project to another company with a degree of confidence that the assignment will be fulfilled correctly. It's only really an issue if you think there was ever a chance of getting both Legends: Arceus and a SwSh-style DP remake, and that they're now compromising on the latter, but I doubt that path was ever really considered (and personally I feel like it'd be kind of redundant).

Last edited:
Outside of Oras not much changed between gen 1 and 3 and 2 and 4. It was still top down sprite based and with similar layouts all still in 2d (gen 4 had some models for buildings I think but most of it was 2d). This is in terms of region layout btw, art style wise a lot did change but not so much that the games layout would be very different. Lets go and oras do keep their original layout so its possible that bdsp could have too in swsh art style not arguing that.

And I think it was really to try and keep it feeling nostalgic, the zelda team could have gone over the top making links awakening remake as big as botw but then it wouldn't "feel" like links awakening it would feel like BoTW. I bet you if bdsp had looked like swsh or even grander people would be complaining about how different it looks and that it isn't the dppt they remember.
Basically what you are saying is that we shouldn't criticize anything they do, even if we heavily disagree with some of their choices? Gotcha.

This is such a backwards statement to make. Tons of games were made better by feedback, i was even beta testing for one and a lot stuff changed for the better because of player suggesting changes. Tons of dev teams ask for feedback and for good reason. Obviously bad feedback is a thing, but saying for people to let devs do whatever game they want and not say a thing about it is not how games get better. Devs can change their mind or get inspired by a suggestion from a fan.
Not that they can't be criticized but that we should respect the devlopers vision for the game. If something is objectively bad (poor pacing, terrible plot, bad gameplay, bad music etc.) Then by all means let them know what could have been better. Art style is more subjective, I may have loved wind wakers art style but plenty of people hated it, does that make the game good or bad? Different people have different views on the same thing. When it comes to Pokemon theres so many people in the fandom that trying to listen to them all is impossible, they'll do one thing to make fans happy, only to piss off another set of fans in the same game.

Not saying they shouldn't listen to fan feed back on big things, but letting fans micro manage how they make a game will lead to a directionless game (if they try to please everyone) that still pisses people off.

If something is objectively bad (poor pacing, terrible plot, bad gameplay, bad music etc.)
Isn’t this all subjective, except for pacing? Music is art too, so going by your definition it would be wrong to criticise it. Same goes for the plot of the game, and the gameplay being a manifestation of the developer's vision.

Isn’t this all subjective, except for pacing? Music is art too, so going by your definition it would be wrong to criticise it. Same goes for the plot of the game, and the gameplay being a manifestation of the developer's vision.
Music yeah you're right, when I say bad music I mean doesn't fit well with the mood of the scenes, kind of like playing a slow song during a hype moment, thats how I felt about the elevator music in swsh on our way to find Leon, it felt off, the track itself was good. Plot can be bad, like Olena randomly showing up outside the hotel room with ESP that we were on our way to find Leon, and proceeding to hand a key over to an employee and dipping instead of just...not showing up to confront us at all.

Honestly, even pacing can't really be called "objectively bad." It can be objectively fast or slow or somewhere in between - you can gauge it in that way, sure - but there's probably going to be a receptive audience of some size for each of those possibilities.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom