• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

The idea that you don't need to spread out game releases just because of the Pokemon logo is just a little pretentious, not to mention unprecedented. By the same token, why bother promoting these games? They'll sell like hotcakes regardless, right?

From what I've seen, Japan is more interested in BDSP and the west is more into Legends. That should affect sales.

The unprecedented wait is one thing but I still highly doubt that it will be much longer before we start getting regular news for one or both titles. If they can fit all the marketing into the 3-4 months before release, then they’ll do it. I don’t like it, but that’s similar to what they did for SwSh which kept a large amount of information completely unrevealed prior to release. Meanwhile SwSh sold very well regardless.

but that’s similar to what they did for SwSh which kept a large amount of information completely unrevealed prior to release. Meanwhile SwSh sold very well regardless.
Well, this time the situation is different, since for many people without unlimited money the 2 games are basically competing, and the only argument against BDSP being a 1:1 remake with little to no "extras" apart from QoL is "We have only seen one trailer".
There are many people who need to be convinced that BDSP is also worth choosing with Arceus. Sword and Shield was guaranteed to have some new content by the sheer virtue of it being a totally new region.

Well, this time the situation is different, since for many people without unlimited money the 2 games are basically competing, and the only argument against BDSP being a 1:1 remake with little to no "extras" apart from QoL is "We have only seen one trailer".
There are many people who need to be convinced that BDSP is also worth choosing with Arceus. Sword and Shield was guaranteed to have some new content by the sheer virtue of it being a totally new region.
Which is why I said “similar” not the same. You made the same comparison one comment up.

BDSP undoubtedly has plenty to be seen even if it will be very similar to the originals.

But we’ve seen that apparently BDSP is more highly anticipated in many circles than LA so I don’t necessarily believe that it will always be the one to lose out in a competitive choice between the two just because it looks very close to the originals.

I’m like 99% sure that the two sets of games combined will have the huge sales numbers that are typical of Pokémon games. In fact, they will likely have better sales than your average remake (which typically sell lower relative to other core series games) because of this fact.

I’m like 99% sure that the two sets of games combined will have the huge sales numbers that are typical of Pokémon games. In fact, they will likely have better sales than your average remake (which typically sell lower relative to other core series games) because of this fact.
Is it a fair comparison to compare the sales of two different games combined to that of a single other entry though? BDSP and Arceus are two different games and I don’t think it’s necessarily fair to combine the sales and compare it to a single entry like ORAS. Of course if you club the sales of two games and compare it to the sales of one in the same franchise, the two games collective will have a higher sale disregarding abnormal scenarios.
Which is why I said “similar” not the same. You made the same comparison one comment up.
I made the same comparison... because it’s relevant? I just expressed how I thought the scenarios are not similar at all. A remake's marketing has a lot more different than that of Sword and Shield. If they showed literally nothing about Sword and Shield we know it has a new region, a decent roster of new Pokémon, totally new gym battles and whatnot. The same simply isn’t true for remake marketing and that’s a pretty glaring difference.

But we’ve seen that apparently BDSP is more highly anticipated in many circles than LA so I don’t necessarily believe that it will always be the one to lose out in a competitive choice between the two just because it looks very close to the originals.
I never stated that it would always be the one to lose. Did I?

But marketing needs to convince people to spend $120 instead of $60 in a very short time span, and highlight the merits of both games- hence my remarks. In my opinion BSDP needs it more since they've not exactly showcased it to be brimming with new content, while LA goes with a complete revamp. For the vast majority who isn’t drowning in money it’s going to be a competition unless they pull some stellar marketing or content.

The unprecedented wait is one thing but I still highly doubt that it will be much longer before we start getting regular news for one or both titles. If they can fit all the marketing into the 3-4 months before release, then they’ll do it. I don’t like it, but that’s similar to what they did for SwSh which kept a large amount of information completely unrevealed prior to release. Meanwhile SwSh sold very well regardless.

While i partly sagree with you, Sword and Shield had the extra appeal of it being a new region rather and (Most) people found it kinda refreshing not to know about every new Pokemon (While it was annoying for me personally, since i like to build my team beforehand based on my starter, i also found it refreshing, although the problem was that some initially planned Pokemon stayed of the team), while we did know about the Dynamax and Gigantamax features. Compare this to a region we already visited in a remake and the same region is gonna get visited only 2 months later, albeit in a new setting. So i think having less marketing for LA might not matter as much due to it being a completely new setting (The past) in the Sinnoh region, but for BDSP it might be an issue, especially if its a direct 1v1 remake, with the only changes being QOL ones.

Compared to BDSP, ORAS had more marketing and Mega's added, and the light marketing on BDSP might mean we aren't getting anything other than QOL features, which might put people off from buying the game if they have played the originals and going with LA instead and even then, people who normally buy both versions of a game, they might opt to go for only one this time, so they can also buy LA and in that case, based on the 2020 Pokemon of the Year Poll, might mean Shining Pearl might undersell big time compared to Brilliant Diamond, since Palkia wasn't even in the top 30 in that poll, unlike Dialga. But both games might underperform/sell anyways due to Legends Arceus.

I feel like the LA releasesdate might do more harm than good for both Sinnoh games. If it was March/April, it would have been way better for it to release imo (And those 3 months extra i can wait).

Is it a fair comparison to compare the sales of two different games combined to that of a single other entry though?
Considering theories on how they will continue to be marketed together, I think it absolutely is fair to do both.
I made the same comparison... because it’s relevant?
So did I. The similarities between the two involve an early announcement followed by a long period of radio silence.

I never stated that it would always be the one to lose. Did I?

But marketing needs to convince people to spend $120 instead of $60 in a very short time span, and highlight the merits of both games- hence my remarks. In my opinion BSDP needs it more since they've not exactly showcased it to be brimming with new content, while LA goes with a complete revamp. For the vast majority who isn’t drowning in money it’s going to be a competition unless they pull some stellar marketing or content.
I never said you did? But this was part of the reason I was looking at them together. It just looks like their strategy is to offset any drops in sales one might have by releasing two in quick succession.

Considering theories on how they will continue to be marketed together, I think it absolutely is fair to do both.
Like I said, it doesn’t make lots of sense because 2 main series games will always sell more than 1 main series game. We haven’t even seen the rest of the marketing cycle yet. Each of the two games has had a different development cycle, different development team, different budgets. You’re saying that taken together they’ll have better sales than the average game because... well of course they would. They are two games and not one.

It isn’t fair to compare ORAS for example, to LA and BDSP combined because LA and BDSP are two different games and combined have more of a budget than ORAS as well. I really don’t get the mental mechanics of justifying sales of two games by comparing it to the sale of one game just because of synchronised marketing. That’s like saying BW+BW2 would have higher sales than any of the main series new generation games. Of course they would, they’re two titles being pitted against one.

A fair comparison would be BDSP vs ORAS or HGSS. Legends Arceus isn’t being marketed as a remake but BDSP is.

Like I said, it doesn’t make lots of sense because 2 main series games will always sell more than 1 main series game. We haven’t even seen the rest of the marketing cycle yet. Each of the two games has had a different development cycle, different development team, different budgets. You’re saying that taken together they’ll have better sales than the average game because... well of course they would. They are two games and not one.

It isn’t fair to compare ORAS for example, to LA and BDSP combined because LA and BDSP are two different games and combined have more of a budget than ORAS as well. I really don’t get the mental mechanics of justifying sales of two games by comparing it to the sale of one game just because of synchronised marketing. That’s like saying BW+BW2 would have higher sales than any of the main series new generation games. Of course they would, they’re two titles being pitted against one.

A fair comparison would be BDSP vs ORAS or HGSS. Legends Arceus isn’t being marketed as a remake but BDSP is.

True. However, i do think we can compare Lets Go and LA. While Lets Go uses the Kanto template, it also introduced a new battle mechanic with the new capture style (And it seems like LA will have a combined Battle Mechanic Lets Go and traditional style) and introduces a whole new concept altogether with the setting being in the past, which was kinda mention in Lets Go as well, considering Blue mentioned they needed to scribble on a Stone Tablet and that Chase and Trace were the first ones using a Pokedex).

Although i get the feeling that if the remakes turn out to be a direct 1:1 remake with QOL updates, the remakes are basically not meant for the more experienced audience/adults, who might have travelled the region when they were younger, but to introduce a new audience/the newer generation, to the Sinnoh remake games and that Legends Arceus is basically being a compromise to cather more towards the more experienced audience/adults, since i think the game will feature a lot of Sinnoh lore (And talking from personal experience here, when i was young and first playing the games, i really didn't care about the lore of Pokemon, i just wanted to play the games, now obviously, this doesn't have to mean its the same for everyone).

True. However, i do think we can compare Lets Go and LA. While Lets Go uses the Kanto template, it also introduced a new battle mechanic with the new capture style (And it seems like LA will have a combined Battle Mechanic Lets Go and traditional style).
I guess we'll have to wait for LA footage for me to decide on that.

For the rest of your post though, I tend to agree. The rationale behind these entries seems to be:
Legends Arceus: Check out our new passion project where we took the Sinnoh concepts and went wild with the history and lore of the region.
BDSP: The last Sinnoh game was launched eons ago and you may not have a switch, so here’s a game to have the "vanilla" Sinnoh experience so you appreciate the changes in Legends and connect lore.

I guess we'll have to wait for LA footage for me to decide on that.

For the rest of your post though, I tend to agree. The rationale behind these entries seems to be:
Legends Arceus: Check out our new passion project where we took the Sinnoh concepts and went wild with the history and lore of the region.
BDSP: The last Sinnoh game was launched eons ago and you may not have a switch, so here’s a game to have the "vanilla" Sinnoh experience so you appreciate the changes in Legends and connect lore.

They literally said in the announcement/website that we could throw Pokeballs to capture Pokemon without battling them, but that we could also battle them before we catch them.

It isn’t “mental gymnastics” lol. I think that’s a bit rude. I’m just explaining that the revenue they are receiving from both sets of games will be garnered at around the same time, so it makes sense to also compare them as a whole to other games when it comes to marketing cycles. It’s nothing like BW and BW2 because those games were not marketed and released anywhere near each other.

It isn’t “mental gymnastics” lol. I think that’s a bit rude. I’m just explaining that the revenue they are receiving from both sets of games will be garnered at around the same time, so it makes sense to also compare them as a whole to other games when it comes to marketing cycles. It’s nothing like BW and BW2 because those games were not marketed and released anywhere near each other.

I mean, yes and no. Legends Arceus is produced by Gamefreak (So they get the entire revenue), while IlCA produces BDSP, so they at least get the lions share of the revenue for those games, since they are the ones putting the most effort and manpower in to produce them. This is yet another reason why you really cannot combine the revenues of LA and BDSP, but can also not take the revenues of previous remakes into account, since those were produced by Gamefreak as well.

BDSP looking faithful is why it needs more of it revealed, there's no excuse at this point. SWSH got away with little information is because we know they had new content regardless of how they were marketed because it was the first game in the generation.

Sorry, I didn’t mean it in a rude way, didn’t think “mental gymnastics” was a rude phrase. I apologise for the confusion, but it’s weird to me since, while the income is garnered at around the same time; they take twice the amount of investment in budget; development and marketing as well. And they have twice the content of other main series games.
If we consider games as an experience, BDSP and LA would be two separate experiences and entries, and as such I don’t think just because they released together they can be compared to a single game/experience like ORAS in a 2vs1. ORAS would lose just because it’s a single game and not two entries.

I guess they could be taken together as a metric of “How much can Pokémon earn if they continuously churn out games?” But any comparison of both games combined against a single remake doesn’t work at all for all the reasons I’ve illustrated. Twice the budget, twice the content, entirely different material and not to mention the people who bought both games. BW and BW2 are the closest examples I could think of, while not a perfect analogy it works. BW and BW2 are separate games and their sales cannot be taken together; same goes for BDSP and LA. The time of release has no bearing on the external factors like that. Just because two games are releasing in close proximity doesn’t mean they get to “gang up” and combine their sales against other individual games xD (just to prevent confusion, “ganging up” is used as a metaphor and I don’t mean it in a serious sense).

Last edited:
They literally said in the announcement/website that we could throw Pokeballs to capture Pokemon without battling them, but that we could also battle them before we catch them.
I meant that I don’t want to compare Let’s Go to LA right now due to the open world aspect. We also don’t know about the battle system or anything like that; whereas Let’s Go is mostly conservative other than the new capture method and some QOL stuff.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom