• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Has anyone else noticed how the overworld Pokemon aren't chibi-fied? It's not a huge deal - I'm just over the moon that we're getting following Pokemon - but it is kind of odd how the player character has a big head but Lucario doesn't.

View attachment 149193

You know, on the one hand, I agree, it's an odd contrast. But at the same time, I don't think I would want the Pokémon to have the same chibi style - I was thinking about why that might be, and I suspect it's because I see Pokémon, as they are presented to us in official artwork, as being proportioned correctly. That is to say, when we look at Lucario's stock art, that's what a Lucario is naturally supposed to look like. There's no (significant) deformation going on. Whereas humans in Pokémon have always used unrealistic proportions due to the anime-esque presentation of the games. Marnie, for instance - her head is a giant beach ball attached to a pencil neck:

GST_Marnie_icon.png

So I think that maybe mentally prepared me for human characters being physically warped in various ways. :p idk if that makes sense, and this may be a super-niche take but there it is.

After this I’m a lot more confident in Ilca handling remakes in the future. Faithful nostalgia (Ie no dumbing down like ORAS did in places) plus new features that were absent at the time is the way to go and I’d love to see them remake HGSS in the same style as BDSP. Gen 5 However I’d personally prefer a non chibi look considering it’s a more mature Gen but still I think future remakes are in good hands if Ilca continues them.
HGSS and ORAS added more new stuff.

There's still more marketing left, do you really think Pokemon will only release one more trailer when there's still 3 months to go before release and that's it? I'm confident that there's more they are hiding.

What more do they have to show? It's clear it will be a near 1:1 remake.

Speaking of the Pokétch, do you guys think its functions will still be kept in BDSP? Or should we expect new ones added and old ones removed?

I expect the calculator to be removed since it served very little to no purpose, while the Pedometer might be kept because it can still be useful for hatching eggs. Maybe a new app that replaces HMs might be introduced.

Last edited:
Ah I didn’t realize we had a time-traveler here. Can you tell me the winning lotto numbers for that month as well?

In all seriousness claiming that they have nothing else to show when we still have 3 months until release just reeks of pessimism. Could you be right? Sure. And your entitled to your opinion. But maybe cool it with the “it’s for sure this way” until we actually get the games. I’m gonna echo other users sentiments and say that we’re getting at least one more trailer before release.

Ideally, I hope that we'll get monthly trailers for BD/SP and Legends Arecus from now until they're released. That might be a bit optimistic, especially when we had such a long gap between their initial announcement and yesterday's Pokemon Presents, but with only three months left before BD/SP are released, having more information released consistently would be helpful in creating more hype for the games. There could still be some more new features. The Poketch definitely would need some updates, we could see what replaces HMs and if there's a Distortion World in the games and/or a Girtaina post-storyline. I could see at least a couple of more trailers for BD/SP at least before they're set to come out.

How are they going to use the Poketch without a bottom screen? Will we have to pause the game to look at the Poketch? That would make apps like the pedometer useless.

While it is close to that, showing off things like customization, following Pokemon, and Pokemon Hideaways makes it pretty clear that it is NOT entirely 1:1 and there are some new things, albeit small things. The following have a realistic shot of being shown:

-Whatever they're doing with HMs
-The Poketch
-The Global Terminal or whatever's replacing it (they could just put a clothing shop there, if not it might serve some other function)
-Pal Park (it's there on the map, what are they doing with it?)
-Megas (probably not new ones, but existing Megas of Sinnoh Dex Pokemon is realistic at this point)
-Great Marsh (it's probably not going to work like the originals, so how is it going to work? Is it just going to be a regular area like Hoenn or are they going to do something unique with it?)
-The Pokeradar
-Post game storyline events for Giratina, Heatran, Darkrai/Cresselia, and Shaymin (this will probably not be covered until closer to release)
-The Battle Tower
-Battleground?

How are they going to use the Poketch without a bottom screen? Will we have to pause the game to look at the Poketch? That would make apps like the pedometer useless.

Do what they did for the Y-Comm, have a small icon in the bottom and have you press Y to open the full menu.

I think GameFreak could make the Poketch work by mapping it to a button such as the up button on the D-pad. However, rather than have the Poketch pause the game and take up the whole screen, instead the app could appear as a small window in one of the corners of the unpaused screen. Normal gameplay could be continued, with the exception that part of the screen is covered by the Poketch. And if the player no longer needs the Poketch, they can just press the same button to make it disappear.

• The graphics look more decent now, they no longer look like a Wii beta. They aren't the "so cute I want to play this" style we should expect from these kind of projects but they're okay.
  • I like that allocating the Pokeball seals manually thing was kept, but apparently the position still doesn't mean anything.
  • Following Pokemon coming back was cool and extremely unexpected. The models look fine and apparently they don't care about the proportions regarding the trainer.
  • The Grand Underground is great. It definitely confirms that random encounters will become less and less of a thing. I feel like those Pokemon that weren't in the Platinum Dex will be available in the main game, which means the Pokedex could end up having 250-300 Pokemon and should avoid any complaint about lack of diversity. However I wish they would change the environments a bit, as finding snow below snow and a swamp below a swamp may feel repetitive.
  • Poketch when?

So, what are the chances that dressing up Pokemon will work like capsules in a way? If dressing up Pokemon for contests come back at all.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom