• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I'm way too excited for these games. I can't stop doing pointless research.

I just noticed that the website promises there are over 90 pokeball stickers. Not including the letters, there were only about 50 seals in DPPt (78 with letters).

I've assumed letters aren't coming back, but I kind of hope I'm wrong. I just feel like that's the sentiment I've seen. The letter seals were a nice reward for catching Unown. However, I studied our available resources a little more and noticed something. Please use image for reference.

90 stickers would be a lot to scroll through randomly with no organization and the original games technically grouped them into 10 different categories. I believe that the row we see at the top are the different categories. This is most evident by the one with musical notes. The single sprite shows two notes which were originally two different seals and I see no reason to actually combine them.

I could almost perfectly match the stickers at top with a corresponding seal category except for the Line Seals which I think 'might' be the third one and the lines do more or something else other than make an X.

In the image of Pachirisu, we can see the seal making an X-shape pattern out of electricity. I think this will actually be part of the electric category. The original variety was down or up and I think now it will be 'balls of lightning' or X-shaped lighting. The circle around Pachirisu appears to be more of a clean line and I think will be in the third category.

Now, there are only 4 new categories which don't correspond to an already known seal type. Assuming the variety of the old categories does not actually increase and the new stickers have the same amount of variety (usually 4 each) (and also assuming that all images seen make up all existing categories); the amount of seals would be ~66. Which, if you add 28 to that; you get 94: the foretold amount. However, this could also just be a massive coincidence. If what I'm assuming is true, it also contradicts itself because we do not see a place where the letters are kept. I wonder what the "R" button does.

Also, I just wanted to say that while doing this research I also remembered that seals were used in Contests in the Anime, so maybe that's where the inspiration for the decision came from to use them in contests for BDSP. It kind of makes me like the change a little more.

Edit: Two of the new categories sort of resemble two unused seals; the burst seal and twinkle seal
That kind of makes me worried that TPCI just might end up scrapping Unown altogether along with Hidden Power. :confused_emoji:

I just noticed that the website promises there are over 90 pokeball stickers. Not including the letters, there were only about 50 seals in DPPt (78 with letters).

They really have "revamped and powered up" the returning features, just like the Presents promised! I'm looking forward to trying out the new Seals. This makes me excited to see what they've done with the Poketch.

That kind of makes me worried that TPCI just might end up scrapping Unown altogether along with Hidden Power. :confused_emoji:

Don't worry, Unown have always been native to Sinnoh and there's no way they'd be removed. :) There's a whole location dedicated to them and they also have a fairly significant relationship with Arceus, Dialga and Palkia.

I'm hoping they might change the way Hidden Power works so that you can have a Fairy-type version of the move.

Don't worry, Unown have always been native to Sinnoh and there's no way they'd be removed. :) There's a whole location dedicated to them and they also have a fairly significant relationship with Arceus, Dialga and Palkia.

I'm hoping they might change the way Hidden Power works so that you can have a Fairy-type version of the move.
Either that or maybe Unown's moveset has been revamped so other non-HP moves are included as well? I could see it learning Cosmic Power, Ancient Power and Stored Power for example. I realize this still wouldn't make Unown any good, but at least it'd be something.

I think I heard Wolfey make the argument that Hidden Power was probably removed from Sword and Shield because it would not have worked well with Dynamaxing. I don't remember his reason for why, but it seemed sound at the time. Hidden Power will probably be back for BDSP.

I think I heard Wolfey make the argument that Hidden Power was probably removed from Sword and Shield because it would not have worked well with Dynamaxing. I don't remember his reason for why, but it seemed sound at the time. Hidden Power will probably be back for BDSP.
That argument doesn't really hold up considering Hidden Power didn't have any problem being converted into a Normal-type Z-Move back in Gen 7.

But instead of total removal, there could be pre-prepared phrases like "hello", "ready, set, go!" or some sort of things. Maybe there are, we don't know about that for now.

You know how every form of Unown has a word associated with it? A is for Anger, B is for Bear, and so on? Maybe they could make Seals that spell out those.

Or how about if the Seals made actual Unown appear, instead of English letters? Then if someone did try to spell out something rude it at least wouldn't be quite so obvious.

Speaking of preventing rudeness in Pokemon games, it's sad that we probably won't be able to teach Chatot phrases in these games... or will we? I think it would be cool if they reworked the Chatter mechanic so you can teach Chatot the cries of your other Pokemon instead. Lots of people would teach it Kricketune's cry, I'm sure.

Speaking of seals/stickers, I hope they'll have other trainers use them on their Pokemon. I think there were a couple of trainers in Platinum who did that. I know Barry had stickers on his starter's Pokeball, and I want to say Volkner had them on his Electivire. It would be nice to see it from other trainers and especially Gym Leaders since the official website said we'll get stickers from gym leaders this time around.

Probably not the right thread for all this, but regarding unown, I always thought it would be fun if Unown could be kind of like Mew and be able to learn any move, as long as it starts with the same letter as its form. Of course, that raises too many issues like different languages and balanced distribution (pretter X form gets like, one move?) But I think something like that could be interesting.

Either that or give the poor things some mega boost to Hidden Power. I hate how weak and useless they are lol

Or how about if the Seals made actual Unown appear, instead of English letters? Then if someone did try to spell out something rude it at least wouldn't be quite so obvious.
I like the idea of Unown-shaped stickers. Wasn't there an NPC who gave you the alphabet stickers based on the Unown you caught? Giving out actual Unown-shaped stickers could be cute.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom