• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Which begs the burning question of why they were removed in SS in the first place?

My guess would be balancing. I think Hidden Power is kind of a bad concept to begin with - several Pokémon end up relying on it for vital coverage, but you can't choose what type your Pokémon's HP is, so it's a lottery as to whether or not your Pokémon will be able to access this potentially game-changing toolkit move. Didn't get the right one? Well, have fun breeding.

They could probably have worked up a system to let you choose the type of HP yourself, but honestly at that point I think it'd make more sense and possibly be easier/more intuitive to just give the Pokémon a proper coverage move in their set.

Return is another of those moves that has kind of a funky mechanic, being based on friendship levels. Frankly I think the only real problem with removing it is that they didn't replace it with a comparable (but more functionally conventional) Normal STAB move, so some Pokémon who relied on Return for a good physical Normal STAB got shortchanged.

It's probably also worth noting that, if wanting to balance the games without those moves was a/the reason, then it doesn't really matter if it returns in BDSP or not, since SwSh are still going to host the competitive scene. So what goes on in BDSP is of relatively little consequence.

Because taking more time to make the games better would have been so hard, I'm sure.

In all seriousness, yes, it probably would present quite a few significant challenges, especially depending on how late into the process we're talking.

Last edited:
So, when is likely for the next trailer?

I'm going to guess sometime during the second week of next month.

So, when is likely for the next trailer?

I'm going to guess sometime during the second week of next month.
I would say September 15. It seems like major trailers are almost always as close to a month apart as possible. Though at this point, I think it's possible for us to start getting the random little trailers in between big ones, so there is a chance may see something next week. (But October's will probably be on the 20th and not the 13th)

Edit: As far as BDSP is concerned, I feel like we should most look forward to the October trailer. ORAS introduced Soaring in October and LGPE introduced Master Trainers, so it feels like that month is when remakes show off the 'new' content. Even though BDSP started late, it still seems to be on the same schedule roughly; the July and August trailers were just combined and the "June trailer" was shown in February instead.

Last edited:
Speaking of seals/stickers, I hope they'll have other trainers use them on their Pokemon. I think there were a couple of trainers in Platinum who did that. I know Barry had stickers on his starter's Pokeball, and I want to say Volkner had them on his Electivire. It would be nice to see it from other trainers and especially Gym Leaders since the official website said we'll get stickers from gym leaders this time around.
Flint had them too, and I think some Ninja Boys had Smoke Seals.
Probably not the right thread for all this, but regarding unown, I always thought it would be fun if Unown could be kind of like Mew and be able to learn any move, as long as it starts with the same letter as its form. Of course, that raises too many issues like different languages and balanced distribution (pretter X form gets like, one move?) But I think something like that could be interesting.

Either that or give the poor things some mega boost to Hidden Power. I hate how weak and useless they are lol
Unown doesn't need to be strong. Them being shaped like letters is literally their whole gimmick.

I like the idea of Unown-shaped stickers. Wasn't there an NPC who gave you the alphabet stickers based on the Unown you caught? Giving out actual Unown-shaped stickers could be cute.

Yeah, the alphabet stickers were given as rewards for catching Unown - I think replacing them with actual Unown stickers would be pretty cool.

I wonder if they could somehow use the game's nickname censor to stop people abusing the alphabet/Unown stickers? Perhaps they could make it so that you have to type in the word you want, rather than sticking the letters on the ball capsule manually.

Yeah, the alphabet stickers were given as rewards for catching Unown - I think replacing them with actual Unown stickers would be pretty cool.

I wonder if they could somehow use the game's nickname censor to stop people abusing the alphabet/Unown stickers? Perhaps they could make it so that you have to type in the word you want, rather than sticking the letters on the ball capsule manually.
I think the new capsule customization system uses a grid, so maybe the censor could detect words made on the grid.

You know, it's funny. I don't think I ever caught all the Unown or got any of the alphabet stickers for that matter. (I don't remember about the seals, I might have gotten a few of those.) I just really could not be bothered to catch the Unown and I did not care much about the stickers or seals back when I first played Diamond and Platinum (as a matter of fact, I don't think I ever used them.)

You know, it's funny. I don't think I ever caught all the Unown or got any of the alphabet stickers for that matter. (I don't remember about the seals, I might have gotten a few of those.) I just really could not be bothered to catch the Unown and I did not care much about the stickers or seals back when I first played Diamond and Platinum (as a matter of fact, I don't think I ever used them.)
Yeah. I don't think I bothered with seals either.

I remember using Seals a fair bit in general, but I didn’t even know until this thread that catching the Unown gave you special Seals. The only reason why I bothered with the Unown in Platinum was so I could get a Hippopotas/complete the Maniac Tunnel lol

There goes any chance of Nintendo swallowing the PEGI 12 rating and remaking the game corner.
For those not in the know: PEGI 12 is just a recommendation, but PEGI 18 is legally enforced.

And yet they won't do anything about loot boxes and gacha mechanics which are actual gambling with actual money. What a joke.

Because it's not how things work. Why would they want to "preserve" a game that's not only years old but also on a completely outdated game console?
To make the moneyyyyy worth it. If I bought Emerald decades ago, then why can't I still have some value to it, if it ends up being wholly copy/pasted into a new game.
As I said: the younger players don't even know much if anything about the Battle Frontier besides that it used to exist, if even that. How could they be offended at missing something they have no idea of how it works and why the people who did play the game find it so enjoyable?
Right, they won't be offended if they didn't know about it.
And how many people was that? Probably not a whole lot.
'
Right, but my point still stands.
It's foolish to assume something will be sold without confirmation,
But I'm not assuming Emerald will be resold. I was just pointing out the possibility. Seriously, you can't just change my argument and then argue against it. So that moots the below.

you could end up waiting a long time or it might not even happen altogether. For example, what if in 2013 you held off on getting XY because you assumed there would be a Z? It's been 8 years and there hasn't been any XY followup whatsoever (and most likely we're waiting another 5-10 for a remake at this point).

Not really, they include Move Tutors in newer games when they can help it. They just wait until third versions/remakes to do so to give them a selling point.
Yea but I still believe there are certain moves that are permanently left out. If you ever follow along the Serebiidex, the "transfer only" moves. Moves like Mud-slap and other useless moves are permanently ended with older games. For example, certain pokemon like Hitmonchan could only learn moves in Gens 1-3 that it could not in future gens, in par with its punching ability.
It's not this simple, as the newer games essentially rebuild assets from scratch for newer hardware, so it would take them over a decade to include everything they've made in the past into one game.
Right, but again, my point still stands. They chose to not copy/paste the Battle Frontier in the remakes.
What are your "1st and 2nd reason again". The forums seem to be having problems, I can't backtrack the argument back.
I didn't have a 2nd argument. You argued against my 1st. But your argument is a good 2nd argument.

Countless times I say "No, A is the reason." But rather you saying "No, -A is the reason," you instead say "B is the reason." But in fact, if you're just arguing for the sake of arguing, B does not contradict my A, it just adds a 2nd reason to it. Seriously, try not to argue for the sake or arguing and you shouldn't run into this.
They don't need to feel outvalued, and in fact many of them would probably rather their old games be outvalued so they don't have to dig out their old hardware to play it and can experience the old game with new and extra features.
Right, they don't "need to," but they still do.

To make the moneyyyyy worth it. If I bought Emerald decades ago, then why can't I still have some value to it, if it ends up being wholly copy/pasted into a new game.
Not everyone bought Emerald. As I said a while ago, Emerald is actually amongst the least selling core series games. And they can't really "copy/paste" something that's 2D into a 3D game.

But you spoke of preserving its value. I doubt there's enough value in the game that's on an outdated game console to justify preserving it.
Ah, so the console is outdated. Weird, I think you're looking at it the wrong way. The older and older a game, or as you changed, the older and older the console, the more value to preserve something. This is how antiques work.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom