• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

My point here is the idea that everyone would be satisfied if it were still optional is simply wrong.
I see your point. You can NEVER make everybody happy. I think the problem with the exp. share had been its progression.

See, I was one of those people I happy with the new exp. share in gen 6. I used to use the held item all the time in games prior, and didn't like the idea of having to level all my Pokemon unevenly. So I played with it off, even though I would've liked to level 2 Pokemon at once. Of course, my complaint was only there when I thought it couldn't get worse. Cue gen 8 when you cannot turn it off, obviously in hindsight I'd rather have the option. If they went back to having it optional, I guarantee most of those complainers from before (myself included) would be singing a different tune, because having that choice means a lot.

Unlikely. Plenty of people were complaining about the EXP Share even when it was optional.
I mean, if people didn't like it back when it was optional, why would it be an improvement that now it can never be turned off?
My point here is the idea that everyone would be satisfied if it were still optional is simply wrong.
Surely, people would've been more satisfied with having a choice here, instead of being forced to use it, even when they don't like it, right? Seriously, this isn't a case of one of those "it's impossible to please everyone" cases, as some seem to make it out to be. Making it an option with an on/off button would solve this and make everyone happy, give an option to those who want to challenge themselves (since having a difficulty setting is an impossibility for GameFreak, apparently) and change literally nothing for those who like to use the EXP Share all the time.

Surely, people would've been more satisfied with having a choice here, instead of being forced to use it, even when they don't like it, right? Seriously, this isn't a case of one of those "it's impossible to please everyone" cases, as some seem to make it out to be. Making it an option with an on/off button would solve this and make everyone happy, give an option to those who want to challenge themselves (since having a difficulty setting is an impossibility for GameFreak, apparently) and change literally nothing for those who like to use the EXP Share all the time.
Maybe I'm not being clear enough. The people who complained about the EXP Share during Gens 6 & 7 thought it shouldn't exist at all.

so, if i'm correct, the arguments for pro-choice exp share mainly boil down to:
  • it's nice to have choices
  • exp. share being on all the time breaks immersion for pokemon that aren't actively participating in battle (according to Alola's post)
  • it screws up EVs
personally, i agree with about two and a half of these. screwing up EVs is, to me at least, only really important enough depending on the availability of EV-reducing berries. if you're the type of individual who cares about EV-training, then you're more than likely the same type of individual who seeks out EV-reducing berries to begin with to actually manually adjust EVs to your liking anyway. i remember mentioning this in an earlier post but this is a heavy assumption to make. if in these games, for whatever reason, they're not widely available and easy to obtain, then having widely distributed EXP would be a poor choice on Game Freak's part.

it's also nice to have choices, i suppose. not really much to say here. as far as immersion goes, it's not that i disagree with that point in particular, but it's more of a headcanon-y thing than anything else (personally, as an avid jrpg player, i'm not sure if it's quite a fair comparison to paint most jrpgs in such a broad brushstroke in regards to character participation. there's more nuance to it than that, but i'll leave it at that).

Don't those RPGs have EXP only for party members paricipating in battle?
Depends on the game and in some cases it's... kinda weird. For example, in Final Fantasy VI they stop doing this after you reach the Floating Continent (or slightly earlier). With Final Fantasy IX it stops once the party is complete (more or less around the end of Disc 2).

On the other hand, Suikoden Tierkreis didn't have anything... which was problematic since most characters joined at level 1 no matter when you recruited then, so if you like a late game character: tough luck! You have to train him from level 1!

Are we certain pokemon not used in battle, gets EVs?
1635055408141.png

Maybe I'm not being clear enough. The people who complained about the EXP Share during Gens 6 & 7 thought it shouldn't exist at all.
Nah, you were clear. I'm just saying that, of the two options (having an on/off option or being permanently on), the former would be better, since you personally get to decide what to do, instead of do a bunch of tedious work to circumvent this issue.
So what's 50% of 1 or 3 EVs? Gen 8 starts now in decimals?
It said 50% of exp, not of EVs. In fact, the very next sentence says "Any Pokémon eligible [...] receives all EVs from that event".

The worst part about the new Exp. Share for me is the Pokémon that I received from trading. I run an Alpha Sapphire at the moment, and because Seedot can be only found in Omega Ruby, I traded my Lotad for one. The problem is, it is always ahead of the rest of my team, although I don't even use it, even for once. While my team was around level 16 - 17, it was already 23, so I had to box it until my team goes up about 25, so that I can take it back and keep using. And of course, I turned it off now to prevent anything like that from happening again.

It is clearly a broken feature for the game itself that doesn't work as it should, causing such complexities for the players.

Yes, any pokemon eligible to receive experience received all EVs from that event.

That's for pokemon in the battle, that survives. This is for Gens 6 and 7 after all.
No, that's any non-fainted Pokemon in the party when the Exp Share is on. The screenshot is from the Exp Share article, it's not going to talk about things that don't relate to the Exp Share.

Cool we're getting the Platinium outfits, was wondering if they would be an option in the style shop but I guess not. I'm more interested in trying the new outfits they have anyway but still nice.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom