• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

The music sounds... weird...

I don't know, I will wait to the release to rate it.

How about the fossils? If I'm not mistaken, in Pokemon Pearl you only could get an armor fossil (Shieldon). In Platinum you can get both (skull and armor) in the same game. Would be nice to get both in the same game. There's some info about exclusive pokemon?

How about the fossils? If I'm not mistaken, in Pokemon Pearl you only could get an armor fossil (Shieldon). In Platinum you can get both (skull and armor) in the same game. Would be nice to get both in the same game. There's some info about exclusive pokemon?

The official site says that the Fossils follow the same exclusivity pattern as the originals - Cranidos for Brilliant Diamond, Shieldon for Shining Pearl.

This feels like reading into things way too deep, and way too cynically. Like, people complained about Pokémon availability in DP for a decade, and now ILCA have done something big to fix it (literally acting upon that initial feedback by doing so), and now we’re… bending the narrative to say that they only really did it out of spite? Come on.
That paragraph could have been worded better by starting with “If we indeed have have the main Sinnoh Pokédex exactly like it was in DP, then…” since it’s really only in reference to my hypothetical scenario in response to the claims of @Bastiodactyl. I’m not saying that’s the case, but having the Sinnoh Pokédex revert to how it was in DP and shoving the expansions in the underground just makes it seem as if TPC don’t consider the expanded Platinum additions and the new evolutions as “Sinnoh native” Pokémon. It also means the rest of the Gen 4 Legendary and Mythical Pokémon will forever lack a spot in a regional Pokédex, another consequence of insisting on keeping Sinnoh’s regional Pokédex DP-only.

If Cynthia is using Togekiss, maybe I'm wrong about the DP Pokedex. We've seen Candice and Volkner using Abomasnow and Luxray respectively, but this doesn't necessarily confirm that those are their aces.

I find it hard to believe that the Platinum Pokedex will return in its original form, though, because of its unintuitive numbering system and inclusion of Giratina (a Pokemon that will most likely be postgame-only in BDSP). A completely overhauled Sinnoh Pokedex is a possibility, but would they be willing to diverge from the classic games to that extent? No remake thus far has made significant changes to the Pokedex listing.

Maybe we could be looking at an ORAS situation where the National Pokedex is given to you before the Pokemon League, meaning that the Elite Four and Cynthia have their Platinum teams while the Gym Leaders do not?

In the anime Volkner used his Platinum team and Luxray was still his ace so I don't see how that means anything with regards to which teams they will use.

Abamasnow and Luxray are associated with Candice and Volkner respectively, there's no reason why they would Froslass or Electivire even though they are technically their highest levelled in Pt.

Another thing, looks like Room's secret room will be in BDSP, in the trailer we can see that there is an empty space in exactly the position as Platinum where the room would be. The layout of the room is changed from DP with the tree removed and a bookshelf added next to it. This is significant as the layouts so far have been 1:1 to DP even down to the minute details.

This was spotted by a user on Reddit.

In this video you can see that the position of the empty space is exactly the same in BDSP.

Last edited:
Another thing, looks like Room's secret room will be in BDSP, in the trailer we can see that there is an empty space in exactly the position as Platinum where the room would be. The layout of the room is changed from DP with the tree removed and a bookshelf added next to it. This is significant as the layouts so far have been 1:1 to DP even down to the minute details.

This was spotted by a user on Reddit.

In this video you can see that the position of the empty space is exactly the same in BDSP.

I'm really pleased about Rotom's room coming back, as long as Rotom's forms aren't event-only like they were in Platinum.

Regarding things like the Pokedex and Gym Leader teams, and all of the game's unrevealed content really, I'm planning to go completely spoiler-free on release day (or prior that, if there's a leak) so I can enjoy discovering those things for myself. I want to go up against Cynthia while thinking to myself, "I wonder if she'll use Gastrodon? Or will it be Togekiss?" It'll make the experience that little bit more exciting.

Sword and Shield definitely didn't take it into account given how extremely easy it is to get overleveled. And that's not even touching pokemon camp, pokemon candies and the other ways to get experience points.

I get a lot of people don't like grinding, but the 3D games have gone in the opposite direction. Making the games faster and faster by overleveling you.

- You are right, It is easy to get overleveled in Pokemon Sword and Shield. However, this is more related to other mechanics than the All Experience Share thing. The Exp. Share mechanic, I think, was taken in account.

Hey speaking of Cynthia's Togekiss, someone want to explain to me why she runs Hustle on it despite having no physical attacks? Rookie mistake there, C. :X3:

(Opal's Togekiss in SwSh has the same deal, but coming from SwSh I get it since those games were baby level. But Platinum's the game that throws a Hail-prepped Snow Cloak Froslass with Double Team and 100% accurate Blizzard at you without a shred of mercy. Did the Platinum devs go soft in the last stretch?)

(Honestly it makes no difference to me whether Cynthia uses Gastrodon or Togekiss; when it comes to DP teams versus Platinum I'm really only curious to see if Flint goes for the meme team. Volkner unironically running Octillery is a move that earns my respect, and with Candice, I think there was no way they were going to chuck the aforementioned assault mode Froslass at players of these games.)

No, some things are just objectively "not the best," and I'm being kind. This is not the style fans had in mind even for the 3DS.

I mean, the chibi models look a bit weird/gooey, but otherwise I think BDSP's overworld looks fuggin clean, and definitely better than Let's Go, SwSh, or Arceus.

Hey speaking of Cynthia's Togekiss, someone want to explain to me why she runs Hustle on it despite having no physical attacks? Rookie mistake there, C. :X3:
I think I read recently that AI trainers' Pokémon in gen 4 only ever have the first ability in that species' slots. Could be misremembering though.

1635466288496.jpgSource

She only had a Snover in DP. Case pretty much closed, except there could be an exception or two like Clair's Gyarados and Glacia's Froslass.

I also find the use of Chimchar funny because people keep saying that the absence of the evolved "Hisui" starters in Legends trailers is suspicious. It's par for the course.

Last edited:
I legit want to know what was going through game freaks mind when they made Diamond and pearl in the first place.

"Ok we have an ice type gym leader what should we put on her team?"

"Medicham"

"But we still have Glaceon and Frosslass, two Pokemon we made for this game"

"Nah"

"Ok but what about weavile instead of sneasel we just gave it an ev..."

"Nah its ugly and its going on Cyrus team"

"Yeah about cyrus what happens to him after he walks away from spear pillar?"

"Cy...who? Get out of my office."

I don't think Pokémon species should ever be locked behind the post-game like they did in the initial games for Johto and Sinnoh; I'm glad they've largely dropped that design with the recent Generations. I remember as a kid being psyched at all of the new Pokémon to own & discover after I beat Pearl...but then not really having much of a use for them afterwards.

I don't think Pokémon species should ever be locked behind the post-game like they did in the initial games for Johto and Sinnoh; I'm glad they've largely dropped that design with the recent Generations. I remember as a kid being psyched at all of the new Pokémon to own & discover after I beat Pearl...but then not really having much of a use for them afterwards.
Yeah, especially since there was the lack of fire types in the original D/P

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom