• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Really? it's never too late to learn :LOL: Thought they were exclusives. That being said, there's no excuses for not including more fossils, they can't waste potential like that. Of course I don't know how difficult it is to create the fossil models and put them on the digging screem, but it can't be that hard. We can dream and hope that's one of the secrets they're saving to impress us.
It wouldn't be hard, but the thing is that they've given up on adding every pokemon into games anymore and clearly gone the faithful route with these games, so it saves them time and resources to only allow the pokemon originally available in Gen 4. If they added newer fossils, they'd have to add other new pokemon to the region, and take the time to figure out how to explain that. And even if they were to do that, it wouldn't make much sense to add later gens' fossils, given that those pokemon were clearly never native to Sinnoh.

Hey, don't be so cheeky! :p Some of the important NPCs could have their Platinum teams, or new teams like in Let's Go. Looker might pop up somewhere, or the encounter with Giratina could be slightly different. Then there's the mystery of those new cave entrances in Pal Park to uncover.

The Regis might be catchable now. Other legendaries from Kanto, Johto and Hoennn might appear in the Underground. Darkrai and Shayming might not be event-only anymore. These would all be relatively small surprises, sure, but still fun ones.
XD You know what- fair. I am kinda curious now if they'll give us the Arceus event finally or if the flute is still going to continue to sit unused in the item data.

It wouldn't be hard, but the thing is that they've given up on adding every pokemon into games anymore and clearly gone the faithful route with these games, so it saves them time and resources to only allow the pokemon originally available in Gen 4. If they added newer fossils, they'd have to add other new pokemon to the region, and take the time to figure out how to explain that. And even if they were to do that, it wouldn't make much sense to add later gens' fossils, given that those pokemon were clearly never native to Sinnoh.

XD You know what- fair. I am kinda curious now if they'll give us the Arceus event finally or if the flute is still going to continue to sit unused in the item data.
You have a point, didn't think about that issue. I'm a fossil maniac, so it would break my heart to see the underground making a comeback and not adding more fossils to find.

An interesting thought occured to me. Because of how the Underground works, Version Exclusive Pokemon might not be a thing in BD and SP. Like, i can imagine some Pokemon that are exclusive, can still not be found in the wild, but can be found in the Underground in the opposite version, where they might be more rare.

Hey, don't be so cheeky! :p Some of the important NPCs could have their Platinum teams, or new teams like in Let's Go. Looker might pop up somewhere, or the encounter with Giratina could be slightly different. Then there's the mystery of those new cave entrances in Pal Park to uncover.

The Regis might be catchable now. Other legendaries from Kanto, Johto and Hoenn might appear in the Underground. Darkrai and Shaymin might not be event-only anymore. These would all be relatively small surprises, sure, but still fun ones.
For me its ok to read "oh hey this Pokemon is catachable and these new ones are in the game." Because seeing them online or in the game won't change my view much unless it has cool animations. Story spoilers are different though I stay away from those

An interesting thought occured to me. Because of how the Underground works, Version Exclusive Pokemon might not be a thing in BD and SP. Like, i can imagine some Pokemon that are exclusive, can still not be found in the wild, but can be found in the Underground in the opposite version, where they might be more rare.
At least the Sinnoh fossils have been confirmed to be version exclusive.

I don't know how reliable this source is but there is a list of the version exclusives. However, I don't know if they're referring to something that has been confirmed by official site or if they just took the list from the original games.

How would you react if they only included 493 pokemon (Gen 1-4)? Would you forgive them for this?

Yes, that's what I'm expecting. I'm just looking forward to some of my favourites like Typhlosion, Furret, Castform and Floatzel making their proper debut on the Switch. I'm curious to find out whether the Gen 4 National Dex will be returning (a screenshot of Bidoof's number suggests that it will), or whether the Sinnoh Dex will be expanded to include the rest of the Pokemon (with starters and legendaries existing in the game but lacking entries, perhaps).

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I'm expecting. I'm just looking forward to some of my favourites like Typhlosion, Furret, Castform and Floatzel making their proper debut on the Switch. I'm curious to find out whether the Gen 4 National Dex will be returning (a screenshot of Bidoof's number suggests that it will), or whether the Sinnoh Dex will be expanded to include the rest of the Pokemon (with starters and legendaries existing in the game but lacking entries, perhaps).
Yeah, the Pokedex stuff is kinda unclear, but if I remember correctly there were pokemon shown in the underground hideouts that weren't in the original Sinnohdex, but the question is if they spawn there before getting the National Dex.

I only really expect the original 493 Pokémon to be in the game (but also obtainable in-game). The question is whether cross-gen evolutions (most notably Sylveon) and regional variants (Alolan Vulpix and Sandshrew are a must IMO) will show up too or not; I hope so, but don't expect it (same with Megas).

The more I think about it, the more I realize that BDSP as a concept is quite astounding, really. You can't tell me that GameFreak didn't look at the secondhand market for Platinum and think "huh, there's a huge profit opportunity if we remade this game for Switch!" and instead thought "people are paying a lot for copies of Platinum...let's remake Diamond and Pearl instead!" Like, what is the point here of remaking a product that you have said is essentially inferior (remember when GameFreak was justifying the concept of SwSh DLC? They said that it was to replace fine-tuning the game through releasing a third version) if it's not just for a quick buck; but at the same time, you run the games department for the largest, highest grossing franchise in the world...

I don't know, man. I'm going to save my harshest judgement of BDSP for when I actually get the game, but MAN, I hope Legends: Arceus can make up for this.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that BDSP as a concept is quite astounding, really. You can't tell me that GameFreak didn't look at the secondhand market for Platinum and think "huh, there's a huge profit opportunity if we remade this game for Switch!" and instead thought "people are paying a lot for copies of Platinum...let's remake Diamond and Pearl instead!" Like, what is the point here of remaking a product that you have said is essentially inferior (remember when GameFreak was justifying the concept of SwSh DLC? They said that it was to replace fine-tuning the game through releasing a third version) if it's not just for a quick buck; but at the same time, you run the games department for the largest, highest grossing franchise in the world...

I don't know, man. I'm going to save my harshest judgement of BDSP for when I actually get the game, but MAN, I hope Legends: Arceus can make up for this.
Diamond and Pearl sold better than Platinum. Plus the director probably wants to preserve the games he created as well as possible.

Diamond and Pearl sold better than Platinum. Plus the director probably wants to preserve the games he created as well as possible.
I don't think sales are a good measurement here, because of course D/P sold better seeing as they came out first. That doesn't mean that Platinum wasn't better, though... just means that not everyone who bought Diamond or Pearl was willing to shell out money for essentially the same game with only a few changes. I know I wasn't. I played Diamond, I wasn't going to play Slightly Better Diamond.

Still won't.

I strongly suspect these are minimalist releases intended to have a winter release, and Platinum would take quite a bit longer to remake than DP since it had the Battle Frontier and other additions like the villa.

I strongly suspect these are minimalist releases intended to have a winter release, and Platinum would take quite a bit longer to remake than DP since it had the Battle Frontier and other additions like the villa.
Well, the code for that stuff could've just been copied over if they wanted to use it (like most of the data is, there's a reason beast balls are showing up in the assets and it's not because UBs are in). So I think mostly it would've just come down to tweaks and modelling.

For some of the larger features like the Battle Frontier, Distortion World, and Villa, yes. But not for things like the Platinum Dex and trainer rosters. They had to rebuild those from scratch anyway, setting them to Platinum's encounter tables and trainer rosters would not have been any harder than recreating DP's. There's no excuse for why those things are missing, they just intentionally decided not to.

I mean, the fact that they are patching in new things like costumes and the Grand Underground Pokemon Hideaways shows that they are at least spending some development time on extra content past the generally "minimalist" basis.

However, you do make a good point.

Plus the director probably wants to preserve the games he created as well as possible.
Why then add even the QoL improvements? Why even make the game at all when they don’t aim to innovate or change the experience even if it comes at the expense of gameplay? They could've just released a DP port and called it a day if that’s the reason.

I've been following the leaks on Centro, and while I won't post specific spoilers on here since it isn't the right thread, I'm having a mixed feeling about BDSP.

While I'm still preordering the games out of sentimentality, and am very much looking forward to finally getting to replay Gen IV on the big screen, I do have to agree that I'm hit by a big feeling of "what could have been" and that for all the new stuff with the expanded Underground, there's a surprising amount of content from Platinum that seems to be cut, and a lot of features that I thought would make it in that apparently didn't. All the stuff I've been reading about how the games were apparently rushed to get them ready by November 19 is not encouraging, either.

If it wasn't for the fact that we've got Legends coming out in 2.5 months, there's no doubt I would be a lot more disappointed.

Disclaimer: I don’t really mean to judge people if they got the games or not. Nor do i want to target any person in particular. This opinion has been swirling in my mind for quite some time and I just wanted to share it in the least toxic way possible. Again, I’m glad people who bought the games enjoy and love it, and I’m happy for them: and most certainly respect their decisions about buying them as educated consumers.

Now onto the main thing:

If I’m being honest “It doesn’t have much but I bought it anyways” probably won’t have much effect on the next games, because the sale already happened. If I were to go into conspiracy mode I’d guess that this is the exact reason these games don’t have many extra features. The fans love the originals enough, and have a desire to just have Pokémon content irrespective of new additions that they’ll get the sale on a game like BDSP anyways. Adding the least amount of extra content possible while getting the maximum amount of sales probably leads to a release like this.

I still at am a loss at choices that don’t impact the budget at all or minimally (game teams and Pokémon distributions) that don’t make it to the games, but for the major things, I think it’s a case of the developers catering to the lowest common denominator audience.

I’ve started to feel like third versions and games like this are just playing an elaborate game of “How much can we save by skimping a game till the people actually stop buying it?” and want to stick at a balance with a game that doesn’t have any glaring issues or bugs so people don’t outright refuse to buy the games; and has things like nostalgia and a charming but cheaper (to produce) art style so people can see some positives that compel a purchase.

Overall, I am not too bothered since for me these games only serve as a refresher and cater to the audience that likes the original games while we get a radical and a more ambitious release like Legends- so both demographics get covered. I see this more as a supplemental release and personally would call it more of a remaster than a remake (that isn’t derogatory to the game imo, but I’m gauging it based on the actual creative changes and the direction compared to the OG games).

As long as both nostalgia and innovation get catered to and we get releases like legends that are higher effort and test the borders of the franchise, it seems great! But had BDSP debuted on its own without legends I’d have some harsher thoughts.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom