• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

As long as both nostalgia and innovation get catered to and we get releases like legends that are higher effort and test the borders of the franchise, it seems great! But had BDSP debuted on its own without legends I’d have some harsher thoughts.
To be honest, I expect there to be a fair amount of backlash around Legends unless they start revealing more features beyond new forms/evolutions. I honestly doubt that the average traditional player is going to like catching Pokemon multiple times, especially when most of them are already in BDSP. The game has a good concept, but execution makes a world of difference.

I think they should have done more with Alpha Pokemon to spruce things up a bit the way the Orre games did. They seem like a minor feature.

To be honest, I expect there to be a fair amount of backlash around Legends unless they start revealing more features beyond new forms/evolutions. I honestly doubt that the average traditional player is going to like catching Pokemon multiple times, especially when most of them are already in BDSP. The game has a good concept, but execution makes a world of difference.

I think they should have done more with Alpha Pokemon to spruce things up a bit the way the Orre games did. They seem like a minor feature.

They've already revealed a lot? We've seen the research tasks, the pokemon interactions, quests, alphas, nobles, wardens, crafting, ride pokemon, glimpses of the plot... it's already lined up to be a really immersive game compared to the usual pokemon title.

I honestly doubt that the average traditional player is going to like catching Pokemon multiple times, especially when most of them are already in BDSP.
I mean, didn’t they already do a lot of that in GO and Let's Go? I think "no trainers" part is mostly going to be flavour text as we've met some battle-able Pokémon and trainers till now.

I'm expecting Legends backlash, partly because I see a lot of people on twitter projecting everything they want from the series and assuming it'll be in Legends. That's not GameFreak's fault but I still imagine it coming; I've already seen it being heralded as the harder, more mature game there's been requests for despite the lack of evidence for either, and we already had the whole "open world oh wait it isn't" thing.

The other thing I suspect is complaints over the pokédex missions requiring certain tasks like evolving the same species repeatedly (so not just capturing the same thing like in Let's Go but training several of them).
Edit: Hold on we're in the BD/SP thread...

As for the Mythicals unlocked by the other games, I'll certainly take it over the old Mythical distributions methods.

Last edited:
They've already revealed a lot? We've seen the research tasks, the pokemon interactions, quests, alphas, nobles, wardens, crafting, ride pokemon, glimpses of the plot... it's already lined up to be a really immersive game compared to the usual pokemon title.
These aren't exciting research tasks, and other than Alphas, the rest are just tweaked versions of what we got in SM, except with the AI not even having teams. I'm glad it's enough for you, but a single player game should make up for the lack of multiplayer.

Last edited:
These aren't exciting research tasks, and other than Alphas, the rest are just tweaked versions of what we got in SM, except with 1vs1 battles only. I'm glad it's enough for you, though.
Well it says research level 2.

Not sure what more you're expecting. All battles are just going to seem like a tweaked version of previous battles because that's what this whole series is in a nutshell.

Still won't be getting Brilliant Diamond or Shining Pearl, but I think what I've heard about the improved gym battles and smarter AI sounds pretty cool, especially for everyone who wanted more of a challenge.

My favorite parts of these games, though? The pokemon icons (love the art style) and the designs for the legendary slates.

Nintendo/GF gives you 200 Pokeballs as pre-order bonus. The worst of all balls, most people use them only til they get access to the great balls. What was the Idea behind it, 50 Ultra balls would cost 60.000 nucks, 200 Pokeballs will only cost 20.000?
So even if you sell said Pokeballs you'll get 10.000 bucks, as pre-order bonus which can be helpful but it could be considered that the developers or publishers or who ever is in charge when it comes to cost reduction even tried saving money with something that wouldn't even cost them money :D
By the way, I'm not wanting to say that there aren't people which will really use all of them but I guess these are mostly those people that are going for completing the Pokedex (which would be the minority of the players I guess, since I can imagine that the general casual player won't bother with that).

Nintendo/GF gives you 200 Pokeballs as pre-order bonus. The worst of all balls, most people use them only til they get access to the great balls. What was the Idea behind it, 50 Ultra balls would cost 60.000 nucks, 200 Pokeballs will only cost 20.000?
So even if you sell said Pokeballs you'll get 10.000 bucks, as pre-order bonus which can be helpful but it could be considered that the developers or publishers or who ever is in charge when it comes to cost reduction even tried saving money with something that wouldn't even cost them money :D
By the way, I'm not wanting to say that there aren't people which will really use all of them but I guess these are mostly those people that are going for completing the Pokedex (which would be the minority of the players I guess, since I can imagine that the general casual player won't bother with that).
Casual players absolutely will try to catch everything. That has been the appeal of the franchise from the very start? It's also why GO is so popular.

Personally, I have always used regular pokeballs more than anything- great and ultra only when I have to. Regular pokeballs just seemed more cost effective, especially when I could get a free premier ball with every purchase of ten.

Actually pretty sure that it's been mathematically proven that pokeballs are the better buy. Great ball's catch rate isn't worth the extra cost.

Last edited:
Casual players absolutely will try to catch everything. That has been the appeal of the franchise from the very start? It's also why GO is so popular.

Personally, I have always used regular pokeballs more than anything- great and ultra only when I have to. Regular pokeballs just seemed more cost effective, especially when I could get a free premier ball with every purchase of ten.

Actually pretty sure that it's been mathematically proven that pokeballs are the better buy. Great ball's catch rate isn't worth the extra cost.
Then this may be a subjective impression due to personal experience - I barely knew anyone at school or elsewhere who tried to complete the pokedex, I've only heard about people doing that in the internet so I considered it unusual. When it comes to pokeball types I usually use dusk balls, quick balls and rarely timer balls - ultra balls are just an addition since they're available at any shop once unlocked but less cost effective. But yeah, apparently I just grew up with rather lazy players, so - my bad :)

Then this may be a subjective impression due to personal experience - I barely knew anyone at school or elsewhere who tried to complete the pokedex, I've only heard about people doing that in the internet so I considered it unusual. When it comes to pokeball types I usually use dusk balls, quick balls and rarely timer balls - ultra balls are just an addition since they're available at any shop once unlocked but less cost effective. But yeah, apparently I just grew up with rather lazy players, so - my bad :)
I suppose it could also be an age thing- I don't know about you, but when I was a kid first playing Pokemon, there was only 150 of them. XD And up through Gen 4, at least, it wasn't too overwhelming to keep trying to catch them all.

These days, it does seem a bit much, but most people I know who play are still in that habit.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom