• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I don’t know about the best games, but honestly, BDSP are the most dull games to me the franchise has offered in the 3D era. The least creative entries to have ever debuted, arguably. They do not evolve on the art style, they do not evolve on the story beats, they do not evolve on the new features (with most of it being just franchise norms QOL), they do not evolve on the Pokémon designs. A lot of the new features are watered down versions of that existed before.

It’s literally the core concepts of Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl modernised and that’s it. ORAS added two new storylines (Mega evolution and the Delta episode) and expanded on the designs. FRLG had Sevii Islands. But BDSP lack any kind of creative input whatsoever. How am I supposed to take a $60 game seriously that cannot even be bothered to ship with a title screen .

I don’t know about the best games, but honestly, BDSP are the most dull games to me the franchise has offered in the 3D era. The least creative entries to have ever debuted, arguably. They do not evolve on the art style, they do not evolve on the story beats, they do not evolve on the new features (with most of it being just franchise norms QOL), they do not evolve on the Pokémon designs. A lot of the new features are watered down versions of that existed before.

It’s literally the core concepts of Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl modernised and that’s it. ORAS added two new storylines (Mega evolution and the Delta episode) and expanded on the designs. FRLG had Sevii Islands. But BDSP lack any kind of creative input whatsoever. How am I supposed to take a $60 game seriously that cannot even be bothered to ship with a title screen .
This. This is an excellent concise summary of how I feel.

I'll add credit to ILCA for apparently making the battles interesting, but other than that... yeah.

Information from the leaks: the game ships with a blank screen with the game's logo apparently and the Day 1 patch contains the title introduction sequence. Not to mention the entire soundtrack
I mean, it's a somewhat common practice to include parts of a game in the day 1 patch, so is it really that bad, especially considering you shouldn't be able to play the game until launch?

I mean, it's a somewhat common practice to include parts of a game in the day 1 patch, so is it really that bad, especially considering you shouldn't be able to play the game until launch?
It’s common practice to include major stuff in the Day 1 patch, but I've never seen a game so unfinished that it didn’t ship with a title screen. All games manage that, even free to play ones.

If I'm paying for a $60 (plus shipping and premiums and what not if you’re not privileged enough to be in US/Europe/Japan) game from the highest grossing franchise on the planet, is it that unreasonable to wish for a bare minimum polish of a proper introduction without installing a patch that’s almost as large as the game in download size?

I mean, it would've been fine if these games were being given out for free, but they aren’t. If we're expected to pay a premium I'd expect a premium right out of the box. Why even bother shipping out a game without the patch on it if it’s riddled with incomplete music, bugs, and couldn’t even bother to include a proper title sequence? It doesn’t really reflect that a lot of care was taken to make sure that the experience is smooth.

It's pretty bad if you're someone who doesn't have internet access when you go to play it. Like, not having some things without the patch, such as online features? Makes perfect sense. Some content that is plain not accessible without being patched in? Makes sense. Basic parts of the game like the title screen? Cutscenes that are part of the main story? ....no. Noooo, those should definitely be there.

Mod Note
Everyone, I appreciate those of you that have been spoilering the leaks, but please keep discussion of said leaks to the Leaks/Rumors thread. This thread is meant for any discussion of the games’ details that has been publically revealed by TPC or Nintendo. It’s only a couple more days until the games come out, when we’ll close that thread and at that point discussion of those topics can persist here. Thanks guys.

like what, exactly, from a noticeable gameplay standpoint? i can give oras credit for adding soaring and new megas that were just about the biggest additions that directly impacted gameplay. the delta episode can be considered new content sure, quality aside (i'm not the biggest fan of the delta episode personally; it's way too short of a post-game story imo and zinnia isn't even rematchable iirc which is a rather large let down to me). the mirage spots, for all intents and purposes, serve a similar, if not the same exact purpose as the pokemon hideaways in bdsp so if we're counting that as a new feature, then the pokemon hideaways should be as well, since they're pretty much only there for one specific purpose (to catch specific pokemon, namely legendaries in the case of specific mirage areas in oras as well as legendary pokemon hideaways in bdsp). perhaps refresh my mind a bit?

You listed most of them, yeah. The only other major improvement I would include is the Dexnav, which opened up a completely new capture method that also added a ton of Pokemon not in the original RS once you got the National Dex.

As for whether Hideaways are considered a big new feature? Well, yes and no. It's certainly a fairly involved gameplay mechanic, the problem with it is that it's in the Underground and more of a part of that feature than something new.

i'm not saying, or arguing for that matter (and i'd like to be clear on this), that bdsp is a perfect game because it adds a thousand new things. it doesn't. what i'm saying is that it doesn't do anything differently or new that other remake we've played in the past hasn't already done (for the most part). if you want to argue that makes bdsp unimpressive, sure. but to single it out as if it's the only game that does this is rather disingenuous at best. it's a remake and that means, largely, that it's going to be reflective of the base game with QoL changes. whether one feels those changes are significant enough is certainly a debate to have, however (not one i'm willing to take part in, personally).

@PkmnTrainerV summed up what BDSP is doing differently quite nicely actually, I honestly don't know what you're seeing from these games that lead you to think "Yup, this is just what ORAS and other past remakes did" (maybe LGPE, but those games were hated for some of the same reasons people are hating BDSP). These games are the first games to not redo the artstyle to be similar to the other games of its generation, they don't really add elements to the story (new characters, new storyline events, new dialogue), and... a lot of other things we've seen from the leaks don't exist that did in ORAS (if you don't know what else I'm talking about please quote me in the Leaks thread and I'll explain there further). Other past remakes, while they haven't deviated too far from their source material (something that personally disappoints me as it makes them feel outdated) have at least made a lot of changes to the artstyle and battle mechanics to bring them up to par with current entries, they've tweaked the storyline a bit to add more lore to the regions and flesh out some of the characters a bit more, and they've added some new and original sidequests and features (as opposed to BDSP which mainly just changes existing sidequests and features). So as I've said, it feels much more like a remaster than a remake. They could've just ported DP instead of starting from square one and we wouldn't have missed much, whereas if they did the same thing for some of the past remakes, we'd have a much longer list of things we'd be missing.

I am not going to continue this discussion because I realized that a lot of what we're talking about are leaks, and I don't feel like putting spoiler alerts all the time, etc.

So I will just say this: I'm not saying that you are obligated to like these games; what I'm saying is that you are not who decides which feature "counts as important" and which feature "doesn't count as important". ALL FEATURES COUNT (new and old, big and small) because different people enjoy different features.

All you did in your reply, was to condescendingly dismiss every feature and improvement as "not significant", presenting your opinions as facts, which they're not. So I called you out on this.

Small features can count, if there's a lot of them that add up you might have a point there, but in addition to the big features, past remakes had their fair share of small improvements in various features as well so that doesn't really move the needle. If you like them, that's good for you and I'm not going to try and say you're not allowed to like what they're doing or like them more than other past remakes, but you'd be hard pressed to make an argument that BDSP doesn't do less than those previous remakes.

i suppose i wasn't clear enough when i said "traditional", but i did strongly imply "game corner with the slot machines" up to that point, which never made a return, even in these games. fair point with the athlon (which i could've sworn i mentioned but i suppose i didn't).
Because of changes in gambling laws- you can’t really expect Pokemon to give up its age rating for the sake of one minigame. It’s not like other remakes just leaving behind empty lots or something, it’s more like the sprite changes in international versions. (The slot machines still exist in the Japanese version, actually)

I respect everyone's opinion, but all the unreasonable criticism BDSP is getting just makes me roll my eyes. The game is obviously not perfect (no Pokemon game is) but, for me at least, based on all the leaked information that we have sofar, BDSP is clearly the best Pokemon game in a very long time (since 2012 imo).

I wish more people thought like you. From what I can see, there's at least as much new content in this game as there was in HeartGold and SoulSilver.

I wish more people thought like you. From what I can see, there's at least as much new content in this game as there was in HeartGold and SoulSilver.
Now if they could only do away with the stupid affection mechanics (but keep the Pokemon following you) and the permanent, entire party Exp. Share, and I might like them as much as HG/SS.

A million miles away from "best Pokemon game" in my opinion.
Better than the original DP, yes, but nowhere near as good as Platinum.

Emerald, HGSS, BW, B2W2, SwSh all significantly better than DP/BDSP too imo.

To their credit I will say they are definitely better than LGPE.

XY, SM, USUM are less clear cut however,
XY were unfinished, but did make Pokemon 3D, and much more finished than these games in their shipped form.
USUM were quite good games, but I will always feel salty about these as they are the finished version of what SM was, and there are 2, not a traditonal 3rd version or sequels like Gen 5. I think a lot of my USUM hate should maybe be directed more at SM as those were unfinished, (Mina;s trial OMG) so I'll say USUM are better than BDSP, but SM is worse.

May not end up being amongst the best Pokémon games, but I've always found something to compliment about every core Pokémon game. As long as I can find enough to compliment about a Pokémon game, I'll consider it a good game. A thing doesn't have to be perfect to be enjoyable/good. And I have a feeling this game will be enjoyable for me.

Thanks! I am glad you agree with me! Yeah, sadly BDSP is being seriously underrated and underappreciated at the moment, but I think this will change over time. I feel like people will slowly begin to appreciate this game more and more.

I will say it once again, in my opinion, BDSP is clearly the best game of the 3D era (better than XY, ORAS, SM, USUM, LGPE and SwSh).

And it is also the second best remake we've had sofar, only surpassed by HGSS, but superior to FRLG, ORAS and LGPE.

Last edited:

How do you figure? I really, really don't see any kind of equivalency whatsoever between the amount of content added from GSC -> HGSS than DPPt -> BDSP. Feels like they're in completely different leagues from each other.

A million miles away from "best Pokemon game" in my opinion.
Better than the original DP, yes, but nowhere near as good as Platinum.

Emerald, HGSS, BW, B2W2, SwSh all significantly better than DP/BDSP too imo.

To their credit I will say they are definitely better than LGPE.

XY, SM, USUM are less clear cut however,
XY were unfinished, but did make Pokemon 3D, and much more finished than these games in their shipped form.
USUM were quite good games, but I will always feel salty about these as they are the finished version of what SM was, and there are 2, not a traditonal 3rd version or sequels like Gen 5. I think a lot of my USUM hate should maybe be directed more at SM as those were unfinished, (Mina;s trial OMG) so I'll say USUM are better than BDSP, but SM is worse.

This, although I have slightly different opinions about which ones are best. I found a Tiermaker list (here: https://tiermaker.com/create/pokemon-mainline-games) on how I would rank them, here is my ranking:

my-image.png

BDSP would be about a B rank.

EDIT: If anyone wants to discuss the Tiermaker rankings further, I created a thread here:

https://forums.bulbagarden.net/index.php?threads/rank-the-pokemon-games.289822/

Last edited:
Thanks! I am glad you agree with me! Yeah, sadly BDSP is being seriously underrated and underappreciated at the moment, but I think this will change over time. I feel like people will slowly begin to appreciate this game more and more.

I will say it once again, in my opinion, BDSP is clearly the best game of the 3D era (better than XY, ORAS, SM, USUM, LGPE and SwSh).

And it is also the second best remake we've had sofar, only surpassed by HGSS, but superior to FRLG, ORAS and LGPE.
Are you aware that the "best game" is subjective?
What I can tell you is objective is, it is objectively the least polished game shipping in cartridge.

Are you aware that the "best game" is subjective?
What I can tell you is objective is, it is objectively the least polished game shipping in cartridge.
XD At least on the surface. We know RBY were loaded with bugs, but that was kind of their charm.

Anywho... subjective is right and I don't think it's really worth debating. It's cool if anyone thinks BDSP is great and possibly the best thing since sliced bread, but declaring it "clearly the best game" is kind of a trigger statement and probably why anyone's jumping on trying to refute it.

I think if you've never played Diamond or Pearl or Platinum before, BDSP must look great. But if you have played them, it doesn't look like a new experience and is actually worse in some ways. So depending on which side you're on there, there's going to be bias. And if D/P were your first or favorite games, maybe you've got nostalgia for them, so an updated nearly verbatim remake maybe seems amazing, and that's going to be a bias too.

Me, I played Diamond and it wasn't my first or favorite game, so I look at BDSP and all I feel is unmotivated and like I would be better off just booting up my old DS to mine in the underground for a few minutes for Skull Fossils instead. Peak Sinnoh experience right there. If you don't have three PC boxes full of Cranidos, I don't know what you're doing with your life.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom