• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Mental Gymnastics? Can't you just accept an opinion different from yours? Wtf is wrong with you?

I actually love LGPE graphics the most, but I definitely prefer BDSP graphics over SwSh /Legends/SM/USUM graphics.

If this bothers you, that's not my problem.

I think there's a difference between preferring something (which is personal opinion of course) and saying out right something is an improvement.
An improvement implies something objective.

Someone can say they prefer the old style nostalgia graphics of Gen 1 for sure, but they can't really say the graphics in RBY VC were an improvement on FRLG, for example, as that's demonstrably untrue.

I think there's a difference between preferring something (which is personal opinion of course) and saying out right something is an improvement.

Someone can say they prefer the old style nostalgia graphics of Gen 1 for sure, but they can't really say the graphics in RBY VC were an improvement on FRLG, for example, as that's demonstrably untrue.
I don't care if BDSP's chibi graphics are considered an "objective improvement" or not (I haven't used the word "improvement" myself, idk where are you getting this from). All I care about is that they look nicer and more soulful to me.

I never wanted Pokemon to change graphically, I wanted the graphics to remain as close to the DS era as possible.

And BDSP surprisingly reverted back to those earlier simple chibi graphics, that are much closer to the DS era.

And this is exactly what I wanted. I just didn't expect it to happen.

1. Uses the term "mental Gymnastics"
2. Complains about "too much drama"

Ok buddy, whatever. Have a nice day too.
Can't you just accept an opinion different from yours? Wtf is wrong with you?

I actually love LGPE graphics the most, but I definitely prefer BDSP graphics over SwSh /Legends/SM/USUM graphics.

If this bothers you, that's not my problem.

@ShieldFan Yes, that's my reply to your "Mental Gymnastics" accusation.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Are you related to ILCA?

Do you really think that these Chibi Models are an improvement over what we got in SwSh and Let's Go? What's the mental gymnastics behind this?

Maybe think twice before starting drama with me next time. Bye!

Last edited:
Soooooo... if I'm not mistaken, Celebi seems like the only non-Sinnoh mythical unaccounted for? I'm guessing it'll be distributed like Mew and Jirachi once Legends comes out. Would make the most sense.

Kind of a shame they didn't try to release a Ranger game for Manaphy instead of just making it an early purchase bonus. That would've been neat.

Soooooo... if I'm not mistaken, Celebi seems like the only non-Sinnoh mythical unaccounted for? I'm guessing it'll be distributed like Mew and Jirachi once Legends comes out. Would make the most sense.

Kind of a shame they didn't try to release a Ranger game for Manaphy instead of just making it an early purchase bonus. That would've been neat.
Deoxys would also be unaccounted for

@ShieldFan Yes, that's my reply to your "Mental Gymnastics" accusation.

Think twice before starting drama with me next time. Bye!
That wasn't an accusation. I asked you why you think these chibi models are better than the previous ones. I respect other people's opinions, don't know how you came to this conclusion. It's up to you to buy these remakes. Never said you shouldn't.

Think twice before starting drama with me next time. Bye!
Goodbye

Secret Bases don't have decorations and Capture the Flag anymore (sadly), but they now have Pokemon Statues, which I think is a fair trade, since they allow me to design my very own Dragon Chamber, filled exclusively with my favourite Dragon Pokemon Statues.

Wouldn't it be better for your Dragon Chamber to have Dragon themed decorations like banners, rugs, etc. instead of just Pokemon Statues though?

BDSP has a much larger selection of available Pokemon, though. I'm pretty sure that between the two versions it'll be possible to catch all 493 Pokemon of Gen IV, whereas in HGSS quite a few of them had to be traded from DPPt.

There were already 451 Pokemon available between DPPt though, the only ones that were really missing were some of the past gen starters and legendaries. Compare that to GSC, where there were only 251 Pokemon in the originals but HGSS added a ton of 3rd and 4th gen Pokemon to bring it up to 451. So 200 Pokemon were added to HGSS, but if you only have the first 493 you're looking at only 42 added to BDSP. Pretty stark difference there. Having all 493 that existed in 4th gen isn't much of an accomplishment when the originals were already pretty close to that point that to begin with.

I think perhaps it's true that more effort was put into HGSS, simply because there were more things that needed improving. For example, there wasn't really much of a story in GSC, so they added the new scenes with the Kimono Girls to bring the game up to modern Pokemon standards. They included the Kanto dungeons which were originally left out due to limited space on the cartridge, and added a minigame (the Pokethlon) because Johto originally lacked one.

DPPt, on the other hand, were pretty much perfect apart from the slow animations, HMs, limited Pokemon selection (in DP), and the fact that the Underground was (in my opinion) a bit boring. So remaking these games required less effort. That doesn't necessarily mean that the end result will be less good.

I suppose what it really boils down to is what do you value more: innovation, or overall quality. A lot of people would have preferred a remake with more significant changes (like the brilliant ORAS) so that exploring the same region again feels more worthwhile, and I can understand that. But for me personally, I'm happy as long as the game is of a good quality overall, even if most of that quality owes itself to the groundwork laid by the original version of the game.

I'm really looking forward to playing what is essentially classic Pokemon on the Switch; the first entry of the 3D era not to rely on flashy new forms or battle gimmicks.

While I do agree that DPPt (especially Platinum) were near perfect for their time, part of the problem is that advancements in the series that occur in between the originals and the remake can cause the remakes to look worse than it used to be. Now in some ways they've done a good job of that with some of the QoL features, they have kept up with advancements such as the removal of HMs, customization. But in other, and especially larger aspects such as graphics and artstyle, Pokemon selection, and new forms, they're still lacking.

The other problem is that Game Freak seems to be less willing to make the remakes definitive experiences. HGSS included almost everything from Crystal (the only content missing was the Odd Egg). ORAS and BDSP largely ignore their third version content, only really including small Easter Eggs at best. The reason this is important is because the whole point of a remake is because the originals and the hardware they were on has long been discontinued and rendered largely inaccessible, so if you want to experience that content, then you're either forced to dig out your old third version if you have one, or shell out hundreds of dollars on Ebay if you don't. This can almost defeat the point of a remake since they're meant to replace the originals.

For me to be satisfied with these games as remakes I wanted to see more along the lines of the following:
  • Full Platinum Dex (not just shoving them into Hideaways) with the added Pokemon being fully accessible through conventional means and showing up in main game trainer rosters (no using DP's in the main game and Platinum's in the post game)
  • Platinum story elements such as Looker and Charon, Giratina and the Distortion World playing some role in the story (either by integrating it into the main story or having a Platinum episode of some sort)
  • New forms of some Sinnoh Pokemon, especially Dialga/Palkia
  • Alola/Galar variants
  • Sylveon and possibly Mr. Rime added to the Sinnoh Dex and a selection of 5th-8th gen Pokemon added to the post game.
  • Fully functional Contests that include actual battling, not just a dumb rhythm minigame
  • Fully functional Secret Bases in the Grand Underground that allow you to decorate with more than just statues.
Also not really dealbreakers, but these improvements would've been very welcome as well:
  • An even larger expansion from the Platinum Dex to even further balance the Dex (they could've just thrown in a few more 1st-3rd gen Pokemon and this would be fine)
  • New Sinnohan variants of non-native Pokemon
  • Mega evolutions
  • Dexnav functionality for the Pokeradar (as in the ability to search for HAs, IVs, natures, etc. instead of having to catch them and check).

No, an improvement implies that there's a positive comparison in some aspect. It can be subjective if you like or don't like the aspect they've improved. It especially becomes subjective if they improve one aspect and regress another, as is the case with the Underground for example (do you like the decoration of the originals or the Pokemon encounters of BDSP? Different people might have different answers to that question and they're all equally right).

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be better for your Dragon Chamber to have Dragon themed decorations like banners, rugs, etc. instead of just Pokemon Statues though?
That would've probably been better, yes. But like I said, I think it is a "fair trade" between decorations and Statues, if we can't have both.

That would've probably been better, yes. But like I said, I think it is a "fair trade" between decorations and Statues, if we can't have both.
We really should be able to have both, though... aside from them just not taking time to make the decoration models, there's no reason why we shouldn't have had both.

The statues look like they're pretty much just recolors of the pokemon models too so that's a big lazy ouch there.

We really should be able to have both, though... aside from them just not taking time to make the decoration models, there's no reason why we shouldn't have had both.

The statues look like they're pretty much just recolors of the pokemon models too so that's a big lazy ouch there.
I respect your opinion, and I agree that it would've been awesome to have both the old-school decorations AND the new statues.

But that wasn't my point. My point is that the Decorations and the Statues are both cool, and so, what ILCA did is a fair trade, in my opinion.

I also don't think the removal of old-school decorations had anything to do with laziness. I think they just wanted to repurpose the Underground Secret Bases and make them more integrated into the whole Underground structure, especially with the new Hideaways.

I do miss the decorations. Making a Secret Base, was one of my favorite things to do in both Emerald and ORAS (I actually never tried it in DPPt). But I think I will enjoy decorating with the Statues just as much.

Last edited:
I respect your opinion, and I agree that it would've been awesome to have both the old-school decorations AND the new statues.

But that wasn't my point. My point is that the Decorations and the Statues are both cool, and so, what ILCA did is a fair trade, in my opinion.

I also don't think the removal of old-school decorations had anything to do with laziness. I think they just wanted to repurpose the Underground Secret Bases and make them more integrated into the whole Underground structure, especially with the Hideaways.
My point, though, was that we should've had both. Statues are great and all but how many can you actually activate at a time? Why not have furniture and statues? Why did it wind up being one or the other? I won't say that the statues aren't cool, I just think it should have been in addition to furniture, not instead of it. Now bases just look like boring statue storage rather than a personalized space.

And by lazy I meant the fact that instead of decorations, all we got were pokemon model recolors. There's not even bases on a lot of these-

Pokemon-Brilliant-Diamond-Secret-Hideout.jpg

uderground.0.png

no drama pls
Hi, official staff post. Keep the drama out of this thread. Opinions will always be opinions and while it's fine to debate them, keep it respectful. Thank you.

Yeah, I also feel statues being basically recolor of various Pokemon models is soulless. ("Lazy" I feel is kind of derogatory, they clearly put in a ton of effort into the Hideaways.) I won't get the same enjoyment from samey statues as from a varied decoration selection.

I think if we had both Hideaway control room and proper secret base decorating I'd be pretty happy to bring BDSP to the same level of Platinum, but since we didn't and secret base is (if it's not already obvious) a feature I care about a lot, BDSP will sit somewhere in the middle between original DP and Platinum in term of my favorite Sinnoh iteration.

It's technically something I can live without, but heck, I care.

I mean, it's a somewhat common practice to include parts of a game in the day 1 patch, so is it really that bad, especially considering you shouldn't be able to play the game until launch?
Something else you should consider though is that you need the internet for that patch. Not everyone has or will have access to that, and will end up stuck with unfinished games for a 60 dollar w/ tax price tag; people who buy or acquire the games far in the future when Switch services are no longer available can be stuck with said unfinished versions indefinitely (provided they don't start selling physical copies programmed with the patches already).

Common practice or no, I find it disappointing and slightly insulting. Especially when previous Pokémon games never had that issue. I purchased Platinum, Emerald, Crystal, Black 2, SS, etc. confidently knowing I had a complete game(s) upon getting those receipts.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom