• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

How about this for a bug... just as I encountered Riley, he promptly disappeared from the overworld, but he would still show up in the double battles; in essence I encountered the ghost of Riley instead . I saved shortly after and rebooted the game. He showed up again in the overworld, but his walking behind me was glitchy as hell, all choppy and jumpy. It was that way all the way until the grunts battle and he giving me the Riolu egg. It was very weird to witness.

Sales data in! 1.4 million sales in 3 days not including digital. Surpassing Swsh so far.
I find this huge success worrying because this gives Game Freak even less of a reason to go all out on a Black/2 White/2 remake. These games are largely considered the crown jewel of mainline Pokemon game stories in terms of characterization, and a remake could connect more plot threads between them for an even greater experience. In true rpg fashion your choices in Black White could affect things that occur in 2 as well.

But where is the incentive for something that ambitious? If content from the enhanced version of an old game is seen as too much of a costly burden with no upside to add, then a sequel taking place in the same region will be seen as even more of a hassle to implement beyond maybe a cheaply made dlc expansion that changes some preexisting battles.

So how's the difficulty?
Pretty good in many points. The rematches can be legitimately challenging, especially the Pokémon League rematches from the second rematch onwards, where Cynthia ties with Red for having the highest-level Pokémon outside of a battle facility. Not to mention all the held items the major Trainers use.

Encountered a very weird issue when attempting to enter a Master-rank Coolness contest with my Toxicroak. I know for a fact that I've completed at least one of every rank prior and earned the 'Star of the Show' each time; I ensured to complete Ultra Rank several times just to make sure I wasn't going crazy, but I still get the message telling me I can't compete in the Master Coolness contest with my Toxicroak, for some reason. I managed to work my Gastrodon all the way up to Master-rank in the Cuteness contests and encountered no issues whatsoever, so I'm just... baffled?

Sales data in! 1.4 million sales in 3 days not including digital. Surpassing Swsh so far.

That is genuinely soul crushing if true.
All we need now is for Legends which is truly groundbreaking (for Pokemon) and takes a lot of effort and work to completely flop and we can kill the franchise dead.

Does a Gen 5 remake even need the Gen 1 - 4 Pokemon? Why not just keep it at 156? Why not charge for Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect?

So how's the difficulty?

I've been finding it a bit too easy. I've started rotating my team members a bit because they're overlevelled. I think the difficulty will increase when I reach the Pokemon League though, because they've kept the big level jump that the original games had.

I'm surprised by this, although it kind of makes sense because the original Diamond and Pearl also sold really well. Is it normal for a remake to sell more copies than a new generation?

I'm surprised by this, although it kind of makes sense because the original Diamond and Pearl also sold really well. Is it normal for a remake to sell more copies than a new generation?
Remakes usually sell less on average. I think part of it might be a result of backlash against SwSh and Gen 4 being an era where Game Freak tried harder even if it wasn’t always perfect. There’s also the fact that not everyone looked at the leaks and online reviews, so they might think that there’s more stuff from Platinum than there actually is.

Another factor is the phenomenon known as VTubers, a lot of which have been playing BDSP lately. Hololive, one of the more popular VTuber groups, are among those playing. Mori Calliope is doing a BD nuzlocke, and IRyS is doing a lorelocke.

All we need now is for Legends which is truly groundbreaking (for Pokemon) and takes a lot of effort and work to completely flop and we can kill the franchise dead.
I'm curious, why do you want to see a franchise you seem to like in at least some manner die? I don't understand, I'd like to know where you're coming from, if possible.

I'm unfamiliar with this term. What are VTubers?
Streamers with anime avatars which move around on screen thanks to tracking technology while the streamer plays games, talks to chat or sings. Some are independent while others are part of talent agencies which make their models and market them in groups. Became popular in Japan in the last few years before going worldwide.

Last edited:
I'm curious, why do you want to see a franchise you seem to like in at least some manner die? I don't understand, I'd like to know where you're coming from, if possible.
I also said "That is genuinely soul crushing if true" meaning I don't want it to die.

I also don't want a Gen 5 remake with just Gen 5 mons, and don't want them to charge for mythicals.

In my interpretation, he/she doesn't want the franchise to die, but changes, that is, new airs, new elements and more daring.

And that's what Legends, in the eyes of some, represents, while BDSP represents a step back into the past.

But maybe, I misinterpreted him/her.

Last edited:
I also don't want a Gen 5 remake with just Gen 5 mons, and don't want them to charge for mythicals.
I'm really hoping all the work that is going into Legends with the updated animations and models ends up benefiting the Gen 9 games and the Gen 5 remake down the line. It would be fitting since Gen 5 is graphically the pinnacle of the series before the move to full 3D models. So we come back around with the remake being the pinnacle of 3D for the Pokemon franchise.

As far as number of Pokemon, I would be satisfied with all Pokemon up to Gen 5 including regional evolutions and Sylveon.

Last edited:
I also said "That is genuinely soul crushing if true" meaning I don't want it to die.

Thank you for clarifying - it's much appreciated! I misunderstood your previous post, it seems. Unfortunately, I'm on much the other end of the spectrum (technical limitations mean that a limit on the number of 'Mon in a single game had to come into place eventually, it was just a matter of when, so I can't say I'm overly bothered by the available 'Mon in BD/SP being limited to Gen 1-4, and in the case of B/W remakes, Gen 1-5 or otherwise, personally), but I do see where you're coming from in that it would be disappointing and at a point, become unsustainable again. I can't see why a Gen 5 remake would limit itself to just Gen 5 'Mon, though... if anything, they'd probably follow exactly the same formula as BD/SP, given its apparent popularity. But nonetheless, I appreciate you explaining for me. Why would they charge for mythicals, though? Is that referring to the necessity of paying for Nintendo Online to access mystery gifts?

In my interpretation, he/she doesn't want the franchise to die, but changes, that is, new air, new elements and more daring.

And that's what Legends, in the eyes of some, represents, while BDSP represents a step back into the past.

But maybe, I misinterpreted him/her.
And I also appreciate your explanation! :) Though, I'm sure you can just use 'they' as opposed to typing he/she every time :)

Why would they charge for mythicals, though? Is that referring to the necessity of paying for Nintendo Online to access mystery gifts?
Switch online is not required to get mystery gift. I'm pretty sure the statement was related to the fact that they introduced paid DLCs for SwSh. Ow I don't know that for sure (I skipped SwSh) but if I remember correctly there are mystery/legendary pokemon that can only be caught if you own the corresponding DLC which results in said pokemon being blocked by a paywall. So basically you won't be able to get pokemon xx unless you pay additional money.

Switch online is not required to get mystery gift. I'm pretty sure the statement was related to the fact that they introduced paid DLCs for SwSh. Ow I don't know that for sure (I skipped SwSh) but if I remember correctly there are mystery/legendary pokemon that can only be caught if you own the corresponding DLC which results in said pokemon being blocked by a paywall. So basically you won't be able to get pokemon xx unless you pay additional money.
That makes sense, thank you. ^__^ I think I personally prefer a paid DLC to a third instalment à la Emerald/Platinum or, god forbid, Ultra Sun/Moon, but I can understand the distaste for paid DLCs in general. Of course, the solution here is to put a stop to rushed development, overworked and underpaid devs and appealing to mass consumerism and profit, but then that's a whole different discussion, lol.

Still haven't surmounted my weird issue concerning Master Rank contests, on another note; I suppose I'm just soft-locked out of entering them? Very odd.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom