• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I am in iron island. Wanted to catch aipum. I loved this pokemon from ash dawn and ampibom but eipum didn't appear

They don't appear in the standard route encounters. You can get them either from the Honey Trees or from Spacious Cave in the Grand Underground (accessed from Twinleaf Town and nearby areas).

They don't appear in the standard route encounters. You can get them either from the Honey Trees or from Spacious Cave in the Grand Underground (accessed from Twinleaf Town and nearby areas).
Yes Yes thank you. I am not talking about where i should catch it. I did tried to catch it by honey tree but it didn't appear at all. And i left all places in middle places in underground grand. I didn't tried the Underground that accessed from Twinleaf Town and nearby areas. I will try today but even so i will not take it because i just reached the iron island.

I talked about where i reached and about my hope for getting aipum so your confused and you answer brcome like this.

Really so sorry and thank you very much for everything.

Well, what can I say? SWSH has no mega-evolutions and no Z-moves. Yes, the game had Gigantamax, but you can't dislike what you've never tasted. Lol

What I mean is that SwSh is a significantly different game from X/Y and Sun and Moon, both in graphical aspects and gameplay elements. So, if you have the possibility to borrow the game from a friend, I don't see why not try it out.
You're right about that, but Gigantamax can't be too different from mega evolutions (I guess...?)

Yeah, that's rather unlikely though. I don't have friends (and I never had friends that played Pokémon), so that's rather unlikely. Unless I found a copy for 15—20 bucks the games will not end in my collection, not because I'm trying to get it ridiculously cheap (I'm aware that I won't get the game for that price, at least not in the near future), but money is really tight (and by that I mean always, there are several reasons for that), so I'm not willing to pay much money for a game unless I'm sure I will definitely like the game a lot. I'ld rather like to get Animal Crossing New Horizons one day but that won't happen in the near future. It's not actually that I'm completely refusing to give it a try, it's more that there are very specific circumstances required to make that happen.

I heard about the blurring issues... but I didn't expect them to be that bad. Hunting for a Psyduck at Ravaged Path* made me notice how bad it was.

*I know you can get them easier at Oreburgh Gate, but I like to get things at the earliest possible chance.

I just noticed money is limited to 999,999 PokéDollars in BDSP. Exactly like it was in the originals.

Do you guys think that ILCA made it that way on purpose? Or did they just forget to update the money limit to the one from more recent generations, where we could get more than 1 million PokéDollars?

I hope this wasn't an oversight...

I just noticed money is limited to 999,999 PokéDollars in BDSP. Exactly like it was in the originals.

Do you guys think that ILCA made it that way on purpose? Or did they just forget to update the money limit to the one from more recent generations, where we could get more than 1 million PokéDollars?

I hope this wasn't an oversight...
does this really matter? once you have that kind of cash, you can afford pretty much everything anyway.

Has anyone else noticed how you can't use more than five number digits in the names of your PC boxes? As far as I know, this has never happened in a Pokemon game before. It means that you can't label your boxes for a Living Dex unless you use Os instead of 0s, which is really annoying.

I wonder why it was programmed this way? Do you think they might fix it in a future update?

I just encountered my first two glitches in BDSP. Both of them happened in the area of grass under the Cycling Road.

1) when I tried to cut the trees to access that area, both trees could only be cut from in front or from behind the tree, but not from the side. (However another tree nearby could be cut from the side just fine).

2) an item could be picked from the ground only from above or below the item, but not when standing left or right of the item.

These are the first 2 glitches I've encountered sofar, and they're obviously very minor, but it's still significant that I haven't experienced them in any previous Pokemon game. Has anyone else experienced this type of glitches in previous games?

Has anyone else noticed how you can't use more than five number digits in the names of your PC boxes? As far as I know, this has never happened in a Pokemon game before. It means that you can't label your boxes for a Living Dex unless you use Os instead of 0s, which is really annoying.

I wonder why it was programmed this way? Do you think they might fix it in a future update?
i'm fairly sure this was already the case for pokemon nicknames. dunno about boxes though; my livingdex is stored in home, and you can't even have a full livingdex in the modern games anyway

I’m guessing because that was what they were given when they were handed a copy of the DP source code and were told “remake this in a slightly revamped art style”.
If TPC genuinely did this, then that would explain a lot of what happened in terms of faithfulness. At the same time, why wouldn’t they just give them Platinum’s source code and inform them the version exclusives needed? Did Masuda not have access to the enhanced version’s data for some reason?

Also, if they had DP’s source code, this excuse wouldn’t explain why ILCA didn’t give us the original Super Contests or the Secret Base decorations and traps present in DP’s underground.

Also, if they had DP’s source code, this excuse wouldn’t explain why ILCA didn’t give us the original Super Contests or the Secret Base decorations and traps present in DP’s underground.
Well, those would require new graphics as well, not just code. (although “We just didn’t have enough time to add these graphics” isn’t much better…)

If TPC genuinely did this, then that would explain a lot of what happened in terms of faithfulness. At the same time, why wouldn’t they just give them Platinum’s source code and inform them the version exclusives needed? Did Masuda not have access to the enhanced version’s data for some reason?

What Tech said about the graphics. Those needed a bit more than just copy-paste.

As for the Platinum source code not being used- I don't think it's as simple as just adding the versions exclusives from Diamond and Pearl. Platinum had pretty much entirely different encounter rates, so they would have to rebalance anything they tampered with. And with the underground making pretty much everything Platinum accessible very early on anyway, I don't think that would've seemed like a necessary effort on their part.

I don't know a lot about game design, but wouldn't they have had to re-program everything from scratch for a Switch game? Surely it can't be as simple as copying the original game's source code. They probably had access to things like the original concept art and story notes, though.

I just encountered my first two glitches in BDSP. Both of them happened in the area of grass under the Cycling Road.

1) when I tried to cut the trees to access that area, both trees could only be cut from in front or from behind the tree, but not from the side. (However another tree nearby could be cut from the side just fine).

2) an item could be picked from the ground only from above or below the item, but not when standing left or right of the item.

These are the first 2 glitches I've encountered sofar, and they're obviously very minor, but it's still significant that I haven't experienced them in any previous Pokemon game. Has anyone else experienced this type of glitches in previous games?

I've never encountered any glitches in Pokemon games before (apart from deliberately-induced ones), but my copy of Brilliant Diamond froze the other day in the middle of a rematch against Roark. I was using the DS Sounds at the time, I don't know whether that had anything to do with it. I don't even know if it was definitely a game glitch, it could have been my Switch playing up (but that's never happened to me before).

Hopefully the most recent update will have fixed a lot of the glitches. It seems that because of the delays in development (which I still suspect were caused by Covid), they didn't have time to properly test the game for glitches prior to launch.

Last edited:
I don't know a lot about game design, but wouldn't they have had to re-program everything from scratch for a Switch game? Surely it can't be as simple as copying the original game's source code. They probably had access to things like the original concept art and story notes, though.

No, they've actually copy-pasted game data for generations now. The Azure Flute has been in every game since Gen 4 despite never being used because they just copied the whole item list over each time. And it would be pretty insane for them to have to completely recode all of the moves and abilities data.

Besides which, the programming language hasn't really changed between consoles. It's not like they were coding in one language and then had to learn a completely new one for the Switch. Switch still uses C/C++, same as the 3DS, the DS, and even GBA.

Last edited:
I can't get earthquake. When i use bycicle. It jumped then it question goes to this place. So what should i do?

20211205_183343.jpg

20211205_183334.jpg

They doen't give me a choice here so how to do it?

Watching youtube isn't do anything cause i saw but it differwnt here when i try

I can't get earthquake. When i use bycicle. It jumped then it question goes to this place. So what should i do?

View attachment 153429

View attachment 153430

They doen't give me a choice here so how to do it?

Watching youtube isn't do anything cause i saw but it differwnt here when i try
I did it by luck when i heard the video in yotube. Someone said that we need to change into acro mode. It worjed really.

when riding a bike, you can switch gears using the B button. this is needed to get that tm.
It worked by luck with me dear. I tried and it qorked then i understood that i need to change by B Button. Thanks for answer ^^ and this a follow too

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom