• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

legendaries are always a pain to catch. you should try to make sure that your pokemon is a higher level than it though, otherwise it's pretty much impossible to catch
Well, thank Arkoos that my Absol was level 55 (I'm doing this to get the national dex, but I skipped the one trainer who had a Misdreavus which I need because I'm playing BD (and Misdreavus is a SP exclusive so that sucks) and now I can't get the national dex because I can't see a frickin Misdreavus)
So... after pressing B when my Finneon was trying to evolve (because I need to have the national dex (which requires a Lumineon) to get the super rod), I am close to getting the national dex, but my smol brain made that near impossible by skipping the one trainer in the game with a Pokemon I can't find in the wild.

Well, thank Arkoos that my Absol was level 55 (I'm doing this to get the national dex, but I skipped the one trainer who had a Misdreavus which I need because I'm playing BD (and Misdreavus is a SP exclusive so that sucks) and now I can't get the national dex because I can't see a frickin Misdreavus)
So... after pressing B when my Finneon was trying to evolve (because I need to have the national dex (which requires a Lumineon) to get the super rod), I am close to getting the national dex, but my smol brain made that near impossible by skipping the one trainer in the game with a Pokemon I can't find in the wild.
according to Serebii, there's a trainer in the lost tower who has a misdreavus (at least in the original DP). just go back there and battle everyone.

Me at Lake Acuity attempting to catch Uxie: "Uxie. Get. In. The. Ball."
It has broken out of all my remaining Dusk Balls (Azelf got in the second one, so why can't Uxie), ALL of my Timer Balls (at maximum efficiency, wtf), and I am still trying to catch this thing (I got it to red HP with my Absol's Quick Attack), this thing is super annoying, has anyone else experienced difficulties catching Uxie?
I just threw random balls at those three because they just kept breaking out when using the same type of ball over and over. I ended up with Mesprit in a Dusk Ball, Azelf in an Ultra Ball and Uxie in a Premier Ball. False Swipe and Paralysis helped out a lot. For Mesprit I caught a Murkrow from the Grand Underground and used a Heart Scale to have it relearn Mean Look because I didn't want to use my Master Ball. Using that move makes it impossible for Mesprit to escape. There's probably easier ways to get it done though.

Last edited:
It has broken out of all my remaining Dusk Balls (Azelf got in the second one, so why can't Uxie), ALL of my Timer Balls (at maximum efficiency, wtf), and I am still trying to catch this thing (I got it to red HP with my Absol's Quick Attack), this thing is super annoying, has anyone else experienced difficulties catching Uxie?

Funnily enough, I also used Absol to catch Uxie but I taught it the TM for False Swipe, which you can buy at Veilstone Department Store. I also paralysed it with Luxray's Thunder Wave. Sleep technically works better than paralysis for catching Pokemon, but I find paralysis more convenient because you don't have to keep re-applying it. I always find that False Swipe + paralysis works very well for catching legendaries.

Last edited:
Well, I caught it in an Ultra Ball. Finally.

Funnily enough, I also used Absol to catch Uxie but I taught it the TM for False Swipe, which you can buy at Veilstone Department Store. I also paralysed it with Luxray's Thunder Wave. Sleep technically works better than paralysis for catching Pokemon, but I find paralysis more convenient because you don't have to keep re-applying it. I always find that False Swipe + paralysis works very well for catching legendaries.
And almost every Sleep inducing move has terrible accuracy, so they miss 75% (which is luckily a higher chance to land that than a Focus Blast (unless you're Chupi the Raikouchu), Arkoos that move misses 99% of the time)

And almost every Sleep inducing move has terrible accuracy, so they miss 75% (which is luckily a higher chance to land that than a Focus Blast (unless you're Chupi the Raikouchu), Arkoos that move misses 99% of the time)

One thing I love about Butterfree is that its Compound Eyes ability boosts the accuracy of Sleep Powder. But yeah, for the most part I find it a lot easier to just use Thunder Wave once, and then focus on throwing Poke Balls! I'm glad you caught Uxie in the end.

I'd be interested to hear what strategies people used to catch Giratina in this game. I tried to catch it the other day, but had to abort mission because it has Pain Split.

hey everyone~! hope you all are still having fun with bdsp c:

on my end, i'm trying to make a fun battle tower team. something tells me i should go straight fossils and do cradily/armaldo/aerodactyl (or replace one of those with kabutops), but idk yet. fun idea i've been toying around with, though!

to be fair, if we're hating on the gen 4 games for this, we should also criricize gen 1's Agatha and Lance for this. Agatha uses more poison types than ghost types, and lance has several mons that, although looking like dragons, aren't actually dragon type.

Who said they thought Agatha and Lance's teams were okay? The only reason it's not being brought up is because this is a thread for a 4th gen game. Talk about a 1st gen game like LGPE and I'll criticize them for Agatha and Lance's teams all day long.

Platinum's changes to the Sinnoh Dex and the gym roster were specifically because fans saw the lack of certain types in the game, especially Fire types, and complained about them. Now they decided to ignore Platinum because reasons and, surprise, surprise, the complaints are back. In that respect, it's actually worse. They had the solution to this but they intentionally ignored it.

Platinum's changes to the Sinnoh Dex and the gym roster were specifically because fans saw the lack of certain types in the game, especially Fire types, and complained about them. Now they decided to ignore Platinum because reasons and, surprise, surprise, the complaints are back. In that respect, it's actually worse. They had the solution to this but they intentionally ignored it.
It's one of my main issues with this remake: it's just fixing a lot of what Platinum already fixed but it's also ignoring some of the things Platinum also fixed. So when people say "This remake already has a lot from Platinum" like it's a good thing and i just go "Wouldn't it have been better if Platinum was the base and you could further improve the game?".

All BDSP did was catch up with Platinum, and even it didn't do that very well or at least it didn't go as far beyond making HMs less annoying. Why do we need a remake to play catch up with a third version is my point.

Last edited:
it's not like the fact that they're remakes of DP somehow meant that they couldn't incorporate stuff from the third version. after all, HGSS incorporated all the changes from Crystal despite being remakes of GS

Exactly. HGSS incorporated Crystal content so the notion of ORAS not incorporating Emerald content or BDSP not incorporating Platinum content because "this is a remake of the first two versions, not the third" never really made sense.

I think the real reason is that they're just being cheap because of the increased cost and development time needed for 3D and hiding behind nostalgia for the first two versions as an excuse for why there's less content. It's the only explanation that makes sense.

it's not like the fact that they're remakes of DP somehow meant that they couldn't incorporate stuff from the third version. after all, HGSS incorporated all the changes from Crystal despite being remakes of GS
HGSS and LGPE were the best remakes that had allowed Pokemon to follow you as a feature in them because the Pokemon were
A. To scale (SwSh following Pokemon were to scale as well, but those games had awful following mechanics)
B. Would teleport behind you when a collision is supposed to happen/phase through you when you walk through them
C. Are the same speed as/always 1 tile behind the player

Exactly. HGSS incorporated Crystal content so the notion of ORAS not incorporating Emerald content or BDSP not incorporating Platinum content because "this is a remake of the first two versions, not the third" never really made sense.

I think the real reason is that they're just being cheap because of the increased cost and development time needed for 3D and hiding behind nostalgia for the first two versions as an excuse for why there's less content. It's the only explanation that makes sense.
i'd say there was a valid reason why ORAS didn't follow emerald as having both teams pull their shenanigans makes little sense when you can only catch one of the legendaries. BDSP, on the other hand, has no excuse to not incorporate the best version of the gen 4 games.

i'd say there was a valid reason why ORAS didn't follow emerald as having both teams pull their shenanigans makes little sense when you can only catch one of the legendaries. BDSP, on the other hand, has no excuse to not incorporate the best version of the gen 4 games.

At best that would affect the storyline, and more specifically the climax. But even then, they could've at least had both teams be a threat but one actually succeed. The gameplay enhancements like the Battle Frontier, Match Call, and the new areas and Pokemon had no excuse not to be there.

At best that would affect the storyline, and more specifically the climax. But even then, they could've at least had both teams be a threat but one actually succeed. The gameplay enhancements like the Battle Frontier, Match Call, and the new areas and Pokemon had no excuse not to be there.
the new pokemon were only there because they were otherwise unobtainable in gen 3. there was no real reason to bring them back, especially since they were all in the postgame.

other than the battle frontier, i don't recall any new areas tbh. might be because i've only done 1 or 2 playthroughs of this game; i've always preferred RS because Emerald made the story needlessly complex.

i don't remember what match call does and i never cared about the battle frontier, but i can understand why people would want those to return. Masuda has basically said that we're never gonna see the battle frontier again though.

i've always preferred RS because Emerald made the story needlessly complex.
It's not complex in the slightest. If anything it fixed problems with the story like Team Aqua trying to blow up a volcano (how does blowing up a volcano help with their goal of expanding the sea?) or Team Magma having a water base. Plus Groudon being in a underwater cavern makes no sense.

Last edited:
It surprises me how some people are now implying that the lack of fire types in Diamond/Pearl was a "mistake/oversight" on the developers' part. It was NOT a mistake at all. It was evidently a conscious decision to have DP's Regional Dex the way it was.

Later, when they saw people didn't like that, they changed it in Platinum by expanding the Regional Dex in general (and fire types in particular). And in BDSP, they found another way to accomplish Platinum's Dex expansion, and so they decided to do it via the Grand Underground this time (whether you personally find that satisfactory or not, is another separate issue).

My issue is when people call everything they personally don't like "a mistake". Just because you don't like something it doesn't mean it wasn't intended to be that way.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom