• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Finally, I end up my entire post by saying that the whole concept of "good" designs and "bad" designs is subjective, so I am not saying that not redesigning the characters is an objectively better solution.
It isn’t, I do agree designs are objective, and I very clearly red that it’s your opinion. I see your opinion is subjective and still be confused on the reasoning to reach said subjective opinions. The hostility is rather unwarranted.

My point is, sometimes the conservative approach of not giving characters redesigns can be better.

There’s literally no way of deducing that till we've seen the redesigns. I'm not sure I’m which situation exactly would the conversation approach be better, because like I said, there’s a statistically higher probability of people liking at least one design if there are two designs instead of one, and your entire reasoning to reach your opinion (ORAS designs being "bad") to extrapolate this to BDSP is kind of flimsy seeing that it’s entirely possible (and more likely) that the hypothetical BDSP designs won’t been be done by the ORAS people.

I know you posted your opinion, I'm just confused at your thought process. No need to accuse people of not reading your posts.

Doesn’t it work both ways if we use your argument? People who didn’t like the DPPt character designs have to stomach them for the second time with no creative elevation? Having two designs for a character statistically increases the probability that most people like at least one Design. Also, it just gives bonus creative points to just go back to the drawing board for a character after so many years.
This is just some statistics and not my own opinion.

What I understand is that you've decided to die on the hill of BDSP being good.
I think the games are good solely based on the fact that my Smol Bean friend is available.
And the one that I fully evolved on my playthrough team has a Mild nature (+SpA, -SpD)

I'm only willing to go to those lengths if they bring more Pokemon into the games.
Not doing it for just an actual Battle Frontier and other locations.
Or for something similar to the Delta episode in ORAS. Evethough that one did come with the game already.

That's an easy hill to die on, considering BDSP is the fastest selling remake sofar, doubling the sales of both ORAS and LGPE. I know this hurts the feelings of some people here, but it is what it is.
If this remake sold like shit, i would still criticize it. I don't care if something sells well or not when it comes to giving it praise or criticism.

In fact, some of my favorite games of all time sold like ass.

Imagine not being allowed to like BDSP in the BDSP section, of all places.
Who said you couldn't do this? Like it all you want, i have no issue. My issue is that any criticism, no matter how minor or major, you instantly jump in the game's defense. Might be an exaggeration, but that's what it feels like.

Last edited:
BDSP is based on DP. DP was entertaining to begin with so BDSP was pretty much guaranteed to be an enjoyable game. A cute graphical shift and QoL upgrades here and there... it ticks all the boxes in order to be a commercially successful pokemon game.

What disappoints me personally is that BDSP does not offer more than DP. I know I keep bringing up ORAS and HGSS, but it is hard not to compare BDSP with them when those two remakes went the extra mile to offer more on top of the established games. Sure, ORAS doesn't have Battle Frontier - but aside from that, it offers so much more than RS.

Imagine not being allowed to like BDSP in the BDSP section, of all places.
there's a difference between liking a game and treating it as if it's devoid of flaws. you seem to be doing the latter. it's possible to like something and still acknowledge that it's imperfect. i'm quite enjoying this game so far, despite its flaws.

BDSP is based on DP. DP was entertaining to begin with so BDSP was pretty much guaranteed to be an enjoyable game. A cute graphical shift and QoL upgrades here and there... it ticks all the boxes in order to be a commercially successful pokemon game.

What disappoints me personally is that BDSP does not offer more than DP. I know I keep bringing up ORAS and HGSS, but it is hard not to compare BDSP with them when those two remakes went the extra mile to offer more on top of the established games. Sure, ORAS doesn't have Battle Frontier - but aside from that, it offers so much more than RS.

ORAS actually kind of feels like it's midway between HGSS and BDSP. It adds a bunch of new things from RS, yes, but like BDSP, it also ignores almost everything from its third version. It's not just the Battle Frontier. The Emerald plot elements were largely gone, the Safari Zone expansion was gone, the new areas (Mirage Tower, Desert Underpass, Magma Hideout in Jagged Pass, Terra and Marine Caves) were gone, the Match Call was gone, gym leader rematches were gone, and Trainer Hill was gone. ORAS doesn't really compare positively to HGSS either. Basically, HGSS felt like a step forward, ORAS felt like one step forward and one step back, and BDSP felt like it didn't move at all. ORAS is certainly better than BDSP, but I don't think it should be painted in the same light as HGSS.

If this remake sold like shit, i would still criticize it. I don't care if something sells well or not when it comes to giving it praise or criticism.

In fact, some of my favorite games of all time sold like ass.

Who said you couldn't do this? Like it all you want, i have no issue. My issue is that any criticism, no matter how minor or major, you instantly jump in the game's defense. Might be an exaggeration, but that's what it feels like.
there's a difference between liking a game and treating it as if it's devoid of flaws. you seem to be doing the latter. it's possible to like something and still acknowledge that it's imperfect. i'm quite enjoying this game so far, despite its flaws.
This thread has literally become "The official BDSP hate thread" at this point. I hope you're enjoying that.

Keep blaming people like me for being positive about the game, while conveniently ignoring those who only comment to point out flaws in the game. I haven't seen you guys call them out even once.

That's called double standards.

Last edited:
This thread has become "The official BDSP hate thread" at this point. I hope you're proud of this.
i don't hate BDSP. in fact, i'm quite enjoying it so far. the reason people are "ganging up on you" isn't because you like the game, it's because you refuse to admit that this game has any flaws at all.

i don't hate BDSP. in fact, i'm quite enjoying it so far. the reason people are "ganging up on you" isn't because you like the game, it's because you refuse to admit that this game has any flaws at all.
When have I said that BDSP is flawless lol? Have you asked me about my opinion on the flaws of BDSP?

Also, you say that you're enjoying BDSP and you don't hate the game, but you seem quite comfortable with everyone in this thread hating on BDSP 24/7, but when someone like me says something positive about the game, you jump to remind me that the game is not perfect.

Sounds like you're more comfortable with the people hating on the game, than you are with the people praising it...

Last edited:
This thread has literally become "The official BDSP hate thread" at this point. I hope you're enjoying that.

Keep blaming people like me for being positive about the game, while conveniently ignoring those who only comment to point out flaws in the game. I haven't seen you guys call them out even once.

That's called double standards.

Look at the pot calling the kettle black. You keep getting defensive over any kind of criticism towards the game and feel the need to jump on them and find reasons why they're wrong and the game is actually good. Worse yet, those reasons tend to be confusing, contradictory, or otherwise questionable, which is the real reason why others are responding to refute you. None of this means that you aren't allowed to like the game. Your opinions just aren't well supported.

Look at the pot calling the kettle black. You keep getting defensive over any kind of criticism towards the game and feel the need to jump on them and find reasons why they're wrong and the game is actually good.
Funnily enough, it's always one of you guys quoting me first, and not vice versa. Interesting isn't it?

This is probably my last post in this thread, so don't worry, I am going to let you guys hate BDSP in peace now. This is the BDSP hate thread, after all ;)

Worse yet, those reasons tend to be confusing, contradictory, or otherwise questionable, which is the real reason why others are responding to refute you.
There is nothing confusing, contradictory or questionable about the reasons I gave in my posts, unless your IQ is incredibly low and you get easily confused by anything. Which I doubt.

And now, goodbye and happy hating on BDSP!

Last edited:
In Thread Reminder
Hey everyone,

i would like to remind people that it is okay to like the games, and it is okay to not like the games. All criticism, positive or negative, is welcome here on Bulbagarden, but please remember to keep it civil. Remember that this is your opinion, and everyone is entitled to one. No ones opinion is factually correct or factually incorrect.

In short, knock it off. Respect other people's opinions, good or bad, and treat others as you want to be treated.

Thank you,
Snowy
Your faithful video games moderator.

to spin this thread in a more positive direction, i'd like to point out one of the things these games did do right: the grand underground. i love how they found a way to add all those pokemon while remaining faithful to DP, and how they allow us to complete the gen 4 national dex with just these 2 games (sans mythicals). it was also a great improvement over the old underground, which i never returned to after getting the fossil.

true, secret base decorating is kind of a bummer (though i personally never cared for it) but the hideaways more than make up for it. in DPP, i only visited the underground once during a playthrough to get the fossil. now i find myself returning there all the time.

Yes, you said that already :p

I returned to the Underground a lot in the original games. Mostly to dig treasures, but often I also swing by my Secret Base just to chill. Also I'd have a Sphere farm around my Secret Base for easy digging targets.

I'm glad that planting Spheres to make them larger is gone though. As nice as the digging spots they generated were, how the rest of the Sphere mechanic was designed made purchasing the good things from the merchants kind of tedious.

I'm kind of glad this game has some glitches. The item duplication exploit takes me back to cloning in Gen II. Helpful for competitive team building, too. Even if I'm not into that.

Glitches can be fun! I stand by what I said about glitches being flaws fundamentally, but I still have fun seeing people doing weird stuff with the games. Also the "faithful remake" joke with the surf glitch is such a low hanging fruit, but it's pretty accurate and I enjoy it anyway. It's nostalgic in an odd way.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom