• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I don't know, surfing on the coast of Cinnabar seems easy to trigger in my opinion.

Yeah, but talking to the Old Man again and re-watching the catching tutorial? Who would intentionally do that just before going back to Surf on Cinnabar? If you've gotten that far in the game you probably understand catching Pokemon enough not to need to anymore.

Not in the Gen1 games, but in FRLG I went and rewatched Teachy TV just for the sake of "nostalgia", so I can fully envision myself doing the same with Old Man too had I grown up with Gen1 instead. The surf on Cinnabar part would have to be accident, but sometimes accident is part of glitch discovery, innit.

Yeah, but talking to the Old Man again and re-watching the catching tutorial? Who would intentionally do that just before going back to Surf on Cinnabar? If you've gotten that far in the game you probably understand catching Pokemon enough not to need to anymore.
I thought you only needed to use Surf in that coast...

I think I have found a way to softlock your game. I haven't tested it out yet though, so take it with a grain of salt. Early on throughout the story you'll arrive in Hearthome City. When entering the town you'll be tasked with going to the Contest Hall in the North. You must heal at the local Pokemon Center for the softlock to work. As soon as you enter the Contest Hall you'll trigger a flag where when you try to go South again your rival will challenge you to a battle. If you lose the battle you will be sent back to the Pokemon Center (which is also in the North). The only way to exit the town is going through one of the exits in the South, thereby winning the battle against your rival. That means that if you are somehow unable to win this battle, you will be trapped in the Northern section of the town. On the image below I have marked the tiles triggering the rival battle in red (the image is from Platinum but it works for the intent):

Hearthome City.png

As you can see there is no getting around the rival. You must beat him in order to leave. The exits in the North only lead to Amity Square, the Gym is still closed off at this point and there are no other trainers or wild Pokemon you can battle here in order to gain experience, so if you somehow found yourself unable to beat the Level 14 Starly your rival sends out first, your save file would be doomed. This can be achieved easily by coming here and releasing all your Pokemon except for like a Level 3 Bidoof. Sure, this isn't going to happen to anyone by accident but seeing how many measures modern day Pokemon games have implemented to prevent players from softlocking themselves this seems like an oversight by the developers.

Last edited:
I think I have found a way to softlock your game. I haven't tested it out yet though, so take it with a grain of salt. Early on throughout the story you'll arrive in Hearthome City. When entering the town you'll be tasked with going to the Contest Hall in the North. You must heal at the local Pokemon Center for the softlock to work. As soon as you enter the Contest Hall you'll trigger a flag where when you try to go South again your rival will challenge you to a battle. If you lose the battle you will be sent back to the Pokemon Center (which is also in the North). The only way to exit the town is going through one of the exits in the South, thereby winning the battle against your rival. That means that if you are somehow unable to win this battle, you will be trapped in the Northern section of the town. On the image below I have marked the tiles triggering the rival battle in red (the image is from Platinum but it works for the intent):

View attachment 153837

As you can see there is no getting around the rival. You must beat him in order to leave. The exits in the North only lead to Amity Square, the Gym is still closed off at this point and there are no other trainers or wild Pokemon you can battle here in order to gain experience, so if you somehow found yourself unable to beat the Level 14 Starly your rival sends out first, your save file would be doomed. This can be achieved easily by coming here and releasing all your Pokemon except for like a Level 3 Bidoof. Sure, this isn't going to happen to anyone by accident but seeing how many measures modern day Pokemon games have implemented to prevent players from softlocking themselves this seems like an oversight by the developers.
I'll definitely test this out when I start my SP run and I hope it works XD

It seems like BDSP is getting a new patch out tomorrow. There's not much into on it except for one thing about adding an additional notification about repels ending when you reach a certain amount of steps.

It seems like BDSP is getting a new patch out tomorrow. There's not much into on it except for one thing about adding an additional notification about repels ending when you reach a certain amount of steps.
It's out.

Not only does it unpleasantly patch more menu glitches, but they despawned Shaymin in case there's even more ways to get there early, lol.

Still on comfy 1.1.0 myself.

The thing they should patch is the long af black screen when booting the game. Or place a nice screenshot of the game, instead.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom