• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Well, depends... Some glitches can be hilarious or (accidentally) improve the experience. Combos in fighting games started as a glitch, for example.

Really? I had no idea that fighting combos started as a glitch. I know glitches have sometimes turned into features during development. The most prominent example I know of is the Double Cherry in Super Mario 3D World, that started out as a glitch in development that they decided to turn into an actual powerup.

Anyone else think BDSP are too hard at the end? I've never struggled so badly with the endgame phase of Pokemon games in my entire life, not even in the original DPPt. And I'm not underleveled either, my team are about the same levels as Cynthia's and have powerful moves and items and all that. ILCA had zero clue on what they were doing in the difficulty department.

There was a reason Platinum nerfed the league from DP, after all. DP's high difficulty was complained about, and BDSP actually manage to be even HARDER. I'm incredibly disappointed. I was excited to put a lot of hours into BD since Sinnoh is my favorite, only to find I cannot complete it. I'd probably have to restart the entire game at this point. I can't level up anymore without annoying grinding and I don't want to start over in the league. I always found that concept incredibly annoying and boring.

I can't level up anymore without annoying grinding and I don't want to start over in the league. I always found that concept incredibly annoying and boring.
The Elite 4 are always a good option for levelling up your Pokemon. If you made it to Cynthia that means you managed to beat the other four trainers. If you keep doing that for just a little longer your Pokemon will gain levels very quickly to a point where Cynthia becomes much more managable. You can find a Lucky Egg in the Grand Underground if you want to speed things up. It's really not that bad. Also remember to use stat-boosting moves like Shell Smash or Quiver Dance. People tend to underestimate just how much of a difference these moves make in battle.

You're certainly not the only one to struggle with this E4. They're EV trained, with pretty good movesets. I think it's expected for people to struggle with their in-game teams. It's not impossible, though.
It is nice to hear that I don't simply suck or something, but I don't like games that make things absurdly hard. I don't want a super easy game, but I don't want a hard one either. So I'm probably going to sell my copy and hope Legends Arceus is easy-ish or at least has the option.

Pokemon was never this hard and was clearly never meant to be. How GameFreak allowed ILCA to do this, I won't understand. What happened to being kid friendly and all?

@Baka_Marimo Yeah, and lose a lot of money in the process since you always have to fork some over when you lose. I don't use Pokemon that know or can know those moves. I already have that Lucky Egg and it's only one, so it obviously will only benefit one Pokemon and still take a lot of time to grind. I also don't want to redo the league since it takes long enough as is.

Last edited:
Moneywise you will always have a net gain if you beat the first four and then lose to Cynthia. But I guess it can't be helped if you don't feel like it, so it's probably best to put the game aside for now. After all, what is the point of playing Pokemon if you aren't having fun? :)

Last edited:
Moneywise you will always have a net gain if you beat the first four and then lose to Cynthia. But I guess it can't be helped if you don't feel like it, so it's probably best to put the game aside for now. After all, what is the point of playing Pokemon if you aren't having fun? :)
That is true, but redoing the league over and over like that is still a bore. I'd rather have a less tedious way to level up, like if I just had more trainers I could battle in general or decently leveled enough wild Pokemon to knock out. Too bad the VS Seeker never worked in caves for some reason. So I can't rebattle any Victory Road trainers...

That is true, but redoing the league over and over like that is still a bore. I'd rather have a less tedious way to level up, like if I just had more trainers I could battle in general or decently leveled enough wild Pokemon to knock out. Too bad the VS Seeker never worked in caves for some reason. So I can't rebattle any Victory Road trainers...
Well you could train in the GU, the pokemon in the hideouts go up to level 63. The good thing about that ist that you can train your pokemon against pokemon that have type disadvantages, so you if you would want to train an Empoleon you could just go to a fire themed cave. But Cynthia should be doable, I was (sometimes noticeably) underleveled and was still able to beat her (took a bit of luck though, her Garchomp usually destroyed my team, but I eventually got lucky once because she used dragon dance so roar of time made me OHKO her). Revives and max potions where needed though.

Well you could train in the GU, the pokemon in the hideouts go up to level 63. The good thing about that ist that you can train your pokemon against pokemon that have type disadvantages, so you if you would want to train an Empoleon you could just go to a fire themed cave. But Cynthia should be doable, I was (sometimes noticeably) underleveled and was still able to beat her (took a bit of luck though, her Garchomp usually destroyed my team, but I eventually got lucky once because she used dragon dance so roar of time made me OHKO her). Revives and max potions where needed though.
Oh, really? That's surprising since the highest level wild Pokemon you could find in the original DPPt, even including post-game, didn't go past level 56 or something. And there is a section I can access now that I've not yet visited either, so I should at least check it out.

I thought I picked a good and prepared team, but maybe I should replace my Lopunny with someone. She doesn't have much use against Cynthia. I always liked using Lopunny in my Sinnoh teams, but I also lack a Grass-type to take out Gastrodon, so...

Uh, I'm only finding Pokemon up to lv. 55 in the Underground. Not 63. Unless the higher level Pokemon are post-game only, these wild levels don't exist. Also, I thought about that idea on battling the E4 multiple times to get levels, but I realized I used healing items, so I'd need to keep buying them. I don't know if I'd actually have a net gain in money if I just lost to Cynthia while buying healing items to keep beating the actual E4.

Uh, I'm only finding Pokemon up to lv. 55 in the Underground. Not 63. Unless the higher level Pokemon are post-game only, these wild levels don't exist. Also, I thought about that idea on battling the E4 multiple times to get levels, but I realized I used healing items, so I'd need to keep buying them. I don't know if I'd actually have a net gain in money if I just lost to Cynthia while buying healing items to keep beating the actual E4.
Yeah, after your post I looked it up and found out the following:
Levels 16 to 20 - One Gym Badge
Levels 25 to 29 - Two Gym Badges
Levels 29 to 33 - Three Gym Badges
Levels 33 to 37 - Four Gym Badges
Levels 36 to 40 - Five Gym Badges
Levels 39 to 43 - Six Gym Badges
Levels 42 to 46 - Seven Gym Badges
Levels 50 to 55 - Eight Gym Badges
Levels 58 to 63 - Defeat Elite Four and enter the Hall of Fame

I wasn't aware of that, sorry for wasting your time :(

Since it sounds like you're doing a normal playthrough, my suggestion would be to get boosting. Either by teaching your Pokémon moves like Swords Dance/Nasty Plot, or if that's not an option X-items!

May I ask what your in-game is? I'm always a big proponent of using your favorite Pokémon as opposed to what's the strongest/most popular (unless, of course, those are also your preferences) but you still generally have to come up with a strategy when taking on the E4/Champion. You mentioned having a Lopunny, but what else is included?

May I ask what your in-game is? I'm always a big proponent of using your favorite Pokémon as opposed to what's the strongest/most popular (unless, of course, those are also your preferences) but you still generally have to come up with a strategy when taking on the E4/Champion. You mentioned having a Lopunny, but what else is included?
Do you mean my team? I switched out Lopunny. I didn't have anything against Gastrodon, so I thought I should try bringing a Grass-type and started leveling up my Cherrim (I'm bored of Roserade at this point and it'd be my only other option since Carnivine is difficult to get. :/). The rest are Empoleon, Luxray, Staraptor, Rapidash, and Toxicroak.

Since it sounds like you're doing a normal playthrough, my suggestion would be to get boosting. Either by teaching your Pokémon moves like Swords Dance/Nasty Plot, or if that's not an option X-items!
Yeah, I've been considering the X-items since I don't have access to stat boosting moves right now.

Yeah, after your post I looked it up and found out the following:
Levels 16 to 20 - One Gym Badge
Levels 25 to 29 - Two Gym Badges
Levels 29 to 33 - Three Gym Badges
Levels 33 to 37 - Four Gym Badges
Levels 36 to 40 - Five Gym Badges
Levels 39 to 43 - Six Gym Badges
Levels 42 to 46 - Seven Gym Badges
Levels 50 to 55 - Eight Gym Badges
Levels 58 to 63 - Defeat Elite Four and enter the Hall of Fame

I wasn't aware of that, sorry for wasting your time :(
No problem, it happens.

Do you mean my team? I switched out Lopunny. I didn't have anything against Gastrodon, so I thought I should try bringing a Grass-type and started leveling up my Cherrim (I'm bored of Roserade at this point and it'd be my only other option since Carnivine is difficult to get. :/). The rest are Empoleon, Luxray, Staraptor, Rapidash, and Toxicroak.

Yeah, I've been considering the X-items since I don't have access to stat boosting moves right now.

No problem, it happens.
Sorry for the confusion!

You could potentially use an Abomasnow if Garchomp is giving you trouble and you need a Grass type of your team but Garchomp still have a Poision Jab (I think?) so you may need something to counter that. If you can teach your Lopunny Ice Punch, that could help as well.

Sorry I'm not always the best at team building :confused: Like others have suggested, I always try to use support moves to boost my stats or held items when taking on tougher challenges in Pokémon, so maybe that could work as well.

My more pessimistic side thinks that TPC changed their minds and want to do boring mystery gift distributions for the mythical Pokémon instead. :rolleyes:
Which is a shame because i have been wanting for years for GF/TCPI to stop doing this and incorporate mythical pokemon into substantial ingame sidequests.

Regardless of my opinion of the Delta Episode, doing that with a mythical pokemon is far more entertaining in my opinion than just handing them out or give you an item that allows access to them and all you do is catch them.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom