• If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond as Paul with a Competitive Mindset

Challenge attempt New

Greninjaman

Ninja Frog
Reaction score
Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites
This quote from Karen from the gen 2 games and the remakes pretty much fly in the face of Paul's mindset.

We all know Paul. He was Ash's rival during the Diamond and Pearl anime. The rivalry stems from the fact that the two had very different ways of training their Pokémon. Paul saw Ash's methods as weak. Paul only saw the Pokémon as tools, unlike Ash, who viewed them as his friends. This adventure will have me going through the game with Paul's mindset and method. Here are the rules (I dug this up from a different forums):

General Rules
1) No using items in battle.
1A) No using Held Items.
2) No happiness evolutions.
3) No trading (except to evolve Pokémon).
4) I must use the same number of Pokémon as each Gym Leader.
5) No Nicknames.
6) I must ignore all Pokémon that I have caught before (evolutions included).
7) I must play on Set Mode.

The Main Rules
1) If my Pokémon is defeated by a Pokémon that it has the type advantage, I must release it.
2) If my Pokémon is defeated by a Pokémon that is five or more levels lower than it, I must release it.
3) If my Pokémon loses a battle that does not meet rules one and two, it gets a second chance. If it loses another battle, it must be released.
4) If I deem a Pokémon to be too weak to be on the team, I may release it.

The challenge ends when I beat Cynthia. I will post after each Gym.
Also, once I enter the league, all rules go out the window. If I am defeated, game over.

Last edited:

Unovia

Author of Pokemon of the Week (Travelin' Dan)
Reaction score
Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites
This quote from Karen from the gen 2 games and the remakes pretty much fly in the face of Paul's mindset.

We all know Paul. He was Ash's rival during the Diamond and Pearl anime. The rivalry stems from the fact that the two had very different ways of training their Pokémon. Paul saw Ash's methods as weak. Paul only saw the Pokémon as tools, unlike Ash, who viewed them as his friends. This adventure will have me going through the game with Paul's mindset and method. Here are the rules (I dug this up from a different forums):

General Rules
1) No using items in battle.
1A) No using Held Items.
2) No happiness evolutions.
3) No trading (except to evolve Pokémon).
4) I must use the same number of Pokémon as each Gym Leader.
5) No Nicknames.
6) I must ignore all Pokémon that I have caught before (evolutions included).

The Main Rules
1) If my Pokémon is defeated by a Pokémon that it has the type advantage, I must release it.
2) If my Pokémon is defeated by a Pokémon that is five or more levels lower than it, I must release it.
3) If my Pokémon loses a battle that does not meet rules one and two, it gets a second chance. If it loses another battle, it must be released.
4) If I deem a Pokémon to be too weak to be on the team, I may release it.

The challenge ends when I beat Cynthia. I will post after each Gym.
Also, once I enter the league, all rules go out the window. If I am defeated, game over.
DANG! This looks like a VERY CHALLENGING run! Good luck, and I will be watching with great interest. You are going to be very dependent on whatever Pokemon you find on each Route.

Greninjaman

Ninja Frog
Reaction score
DANG! This looks like a VERY CHALLENGING run! Good luck, and I will be watching with great interest. You are going to be very dependent on whatever Pokemon you find on each Route.
Yeah. Good thing I'm not limiting myself to just one encounter per area.

Unovia

Reaction score
Yeah. Good thing I'm not limiting myself to just one encounter per area.
Oak Challenging with the strict "Paul Rules" pretty much guarantees you would fail.
Back when I was planning my Diamond "Nostalgia Run", I almost went with the Paul rules, but it is going to be so much easier in BDSP.
What starter did you go with?

Greninjaman

Ninja Frog
Reaction score
Oak Challenging with the strict "Paul Rules" pretty much guarantees you would fail.
Back when I was planning my Diamond "Nostalgia Run", I almost went with the Paul rules, but it is going to be so much easier in BDSP.
What starter did you go with?
Yeah. That sounds painful. Also, I forgot to mention: I am playing on Set Mode.
As for the Starter, you will have to wait and see.

Greninjaman

Ninja Frog
Reaction score
Update 1: Roark
  • Started up a new game and chose the male character.
  • Named myself Paul and the Rival, Ash.
  • Got attacked by a Starly, but used Chimchar to fend it off. I used a random number generator to determine the starter and got Chimchar.
  • After getting the Pokedex, I caught a Starly after only finding Bidoof (seriously, I found like 6 of them before I got the Starly). I also caught a Shinx with Intimidate.
  • Got the Poketch.
  • I decided to go catch a Magikarp. Might not keep it though.
  • Beat Ash.
Shinx took care of both of his Pokemon on his own. Like two Thunder Shocks for both of his Pokemon was enough.
  • I continued on to Oreburgh City.
  • I caught an Abra and a Machop.
  • I took on the Gym.
Roark (Round 1)
Geodude went down in one hit of Revenge. It was faster than Machop. Machop hits Onix with Leer before nailing a Low Sweep. Sturdy kept it from fainting. It landed a Rock Throw and a Stealth Rock. One last Low Sweep takes it out. Cranidos lands two Headbutts, one being a critical hit, taking out Machop. It then takes out my remaining two Pokemon, Starly and Chimchar.
- After doing a bit of training, I challenged Roark again.
Roark (Round 2)
Geodude is a two hit knock out with Power-up Punch from Monferno, the second hit being a critical hit. Geodude did set up Stealth Rock. Onix also goes down in two hits. It attempts a Rock Throw, but missed. Roark healed, but it did not matter. Cranidos was a one shot.
MonfernoLevel 15Quiet Nature (+Special Attack, -Speed)
StaraviaLevel 14Careful Nature (+Special Defense, -Special Attack)
ShinxLevel 14Relaxed Nature (+Defense, -Speed)
MagikarpLevel 10Bashful Nature (No Change)
AbraLevel 12Naïve (+Speed, -Special Defense)
MachopLost to Roark's CranidosReleased
ChimcharLost to Roark's Cranidos1
StarlyLost to Roark's Cranidos1

Last edited:

Unovia

Reaction score
Update 1: Roark
  • Started up a new game and chose the male character.
  • Named myself Paul and the Rival, Ash.
  • Got attacked by a Starly, but used Chimchar to fend it off. I used a random number generator to determine the starter and got Chimchar.
  • After getting the Pokedex, I caught a Starly after only finding Bidoof (seriously, I found like 6 of them before I got the Starly). I also caught a Shinx with Intimidate.
  • Got the Poketch.
  • I decided to go catch a Magikarp. Might not keep it though.
  • Beat Ash.
Shinx took care of both of his Pokemon on his own. Like two Thunder Shocks for both of his Pokemon was enough.
  • I continued on to Oreburgh City.
  • I caught an Abra and a Machop.
  • I took on the Gym.
Roark (Round 1)
Geodude went down in one hit of Revenge. It was faster than Machop. Machop hits Onix with Leer before nailing a Low Sweep. Sturdy kept it from fainting. It landed a Rock Throw and a Stealth Rock. One last Low Sweep takes it out. Cranidos lands two Headbutts, one being a critical hit, taking out Machop. It then takes out my remaining two Pokemon, Starly and Chimchar.
- After doing a bit of training, I challenged Roark again.
Roark (Round 2)
Geodude is a two hit knock out with Power-up Punch from Monferno, the second hit being a critical hit. Geodude did set up Stealth Rock. Onix also goes down in two hits. It attempts a Rock Throw, but missed. Roark healed, but it did not matter. Cranidos was a one shot.
MonfernoLevel 15Quiet Nature (+Special Attack, -Speed)
StaraviaLevel 14Careful Nature (+Special Defense, -Special Attack)
ShinxLevel 14Relaxed Nature (+Defense, -Speed)
MagikarpLevel 10Bashful Nature (No Change)
AbraLevel 12Naïve (+Speed, -Special Defense)
MachopLost to Roark's CranidosReleased
ChimcharLost to Roark's Cranidos1
StarlyLost to Roark's Cranidos1
None yet.
This is an absolutely fascinating start. Great job.

Greninjaman

Ninja Frog
Reaction score
As cool as this challenge is, there is way too much to keep track of. What type was the opponent when it knocked out my Pokémon? Was it 5 levels lower than it? How many chances do each Pokémon have? These are things I did not consider when I decided to do this challenge.
I think I would rather do a standard Nuzlocke than this.

Last edited:

Nicolas721

Reaction score
I would say that you should go ahead, it sounds really fun. Maybe you could ignore the 5 levels rule or use it only for important battles. Also you should grind and EV train a little (Paul would do that :p ) so you don't have that many loses to keep track of.

Greninjaman

Ninja Frog
Reaction score
I would say that you should go ahead, it sounds really fun. Maybe you could ignore the 5 levels rule or use it only for important battles. Also you should grind and EV train a little (Paul would do that :p ) so you don't have that many loses to keep track of.
I was thinking of tweaking the rules a bit. I think I will start over. Should I use this same thread of create a whole new one?

Unovia

Reaction score
I agree with this.

Greninjaman

Ninja Frog
Reaction score
You know, I got a better idea for this. Paul seems like he would be a competitive player/trainer. I am going to try to build a competitive team. My general play style has always been outright brute force my way to victory, disregarding defense, entry hazards, and held items. This will be a new play style for me. I will also EV train my Pokémon (well, try to, anyway).
Also, I changed the title to reflect the change.

Last edited: