• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Changes Timeslot On Cartoon Network

Sweenix

Melodies Of Life
Reaction score
Starting May the 3rd

New Saturday Morning Lineup

7am - Tenkai Knights (PREMIERES, replaces Tom and Jerry Show)
7:30am - Beyraiderz (replaces Tenkai Knights; it's just reruns for now)
8am - Pokémon XY (PREMIERES, replaces Beyraiderz)
8:30 - Johnny Test (replaces Pokémon XY)

Now, what is interesting is.

Son of the Bronx: Cartoon Network ratings (April 7-13, 2014)
Saturday 4/12

TV Ratings

7:30AM Tenkai Knights 952,000
8:00AM Beywheelz: BeyRaiderz 829,000
8:30AM Pokemon Series: XY 1,248,000
9:00AM Ben 10: Omniverse 1,183,000
9:30AM Legends of Chima 1,194,000

Pokemon is constantly the highest rated show on cartoon network, why would they need to change?

Because the network doesn't revolve around Pokemon and they have other shows they want to promote...?

They also probably want to give more attention to the shows they own, rather than a third party show like Pokemon. Plus, even though it does really well ratings wise on their Saturday lineup, ratings aren't a huge deal for Pokemon. It is too bad that it's moved to 8AM. It's not too bad, especially compared to the 7AM premieres they had in the middle of DP, but I've been used to waking up at 8:30AM on Saturdays for a long time. I guess I'll have to get used to 8AM.

Because the network doesn't revolve around Pokemon and they have other shows they want to promote...?

They are switching it for another third party show which doesn't rate as much, where is the logic behind that?

Sweenix said:
They are switching it for another third party show which doesn't rate as much, where is the logic behind that?

The logic is that Pokemon does well no matter where you put it but other shows don't. So why should Pokemon keep the "good" timeslot when there are other shows that need it more than it does?

Sweenix said:

The logic is that Pokemon does well no matter where you put it but other shows don't. So why should Pokemon keep the "good" timeslot when there are other shows that need it more than it does?

Because the show that is replacing pokemon already has a "GOOD" timeslot when it premiers, not to mention constant "GOOD" timeslots throughout the week, and you know what they are showing on Pokemon's former timeslot? Repeats of that show "Not Premiers"

I'll like to see you come up with a reply. Honestly i would.

You should've posted the full schedule so you wouldn't get such misinformed replies:

7AM: Tenkai Knights
7:30AM: Beyraiderz (which is going into re-runs so Pokemon gets even less support than it already does)
8AM: Pokemon
8:30AM: Johnny Test
9AM: Johnny Test
9:30AM: Johnny Test
10AM: Tom & Jerry Show
10:30AM: Tom & Jerry Show

So, they're just promoting (as if they'll advertise Saturday mornings :lol:) a third-party show by giving it three slots and lowering slots for actions shows yet again. Johnny Test's ratings actually fluctuate on a weekly basis so sometimes they'll beat Pokemon and sometimes they don't (they just lost to Pokemon this week, for example) so maybe this is decision to counter-program? Either way, this is a shit move for Pokemon, which gets decent ratings despite it's shit lead-in, Omniverse, which hovers around with Pokemon, and Chima, which hovers too. Then again, they don't really respect Pokemon (or action shows in general) so it's nothing that shocking.

Also, you can't properly defend this without knowing more information, which we don't have access to. At best, we can all just roll our eyes and either wake up earlier or adjust your DVRs accordingly.

Another "also," Pokemon is usually the highest rated (or amongst) Saturday morning show (or action show, I guess). Not the highest rated show on Cartoon Network.

edit: Also (another one), I forgot to note that may Cartoon Network is in a state of flux since Snyder departed. I'm too lazy to look up whether they already appointed someone to replace him already, but they could just be testing the waters and playing with the schedule so it could be a temporary thing. Maybe.

Last edited:
Sweet! Pokémon XY is doing well in America and Japan. :-D

Sweenix said:

Because the show that is replacing pokemon already has a "GOOD" timeslot when it premiers, not to mention constant "GOOD" timeslots throughout the week, and you know what they are showing on Pokemon's former timeslot? Repeats of that show "Not Premiers"

I'll like to see you come up with a reply. Honestly i would.

You don't need to get all confrontational, it's really not that serious.

You should've posted the full schedule so you wouldn't get such misinformed replies:

7AM: Tenkai Knights
7:30AM: Beyraiderz (which is going into re-runs so Pokemon gets even less support than it already does)
8AM: Pokemon
8:30AM: Johnny Test
9AM: Johnny Test
9:30AM: Johnny Test
10AM: Tom & Jerry Show
10:30AM: Tom & Jerry Show

So, they're just promoting (as if they'll advertise Saturday mornings :lol:) a third-party show by giving it three slots and lowering slots for actions shows yet again. Johnny Test's ratings actually fluctuate on a weekly basis so sometimes they'll beat Pokemon and sometimes they don't (they just lost to Pokemon this week, for example) so maybe this is decision to counter-program? Either way, this is a shit move for Pokemon, which gets decent ratings despite it's shit lead-in, Omniverse, which hovers around with Pokemon, and Chima, which hovers too. Then again, they don't really respect Pokemon (or action shows in general) so it's nothing that shocking.

Also, you can't properly defend this without knowing more information, which we don't have access to. At best, we can all just roll our eyes and either wake up earlier or adjust your DVRs accordingly.

Another "also," Pokemon is usually the highest rated (or amongst) Saturday morning show (or action show, I guess). Not the highest rated show on Cartoon Network.

edit: Also (another one), I forgot to note that may Cartoon Network is in a state of flux since Snyder departed. I'm too lazy to look up whether they already appointed someone to replace him already, but they could just be testing the waters and playing with the schedule so it could be a temporary thing. Maybe.

Pokémon and Johnny Test are both third-party shows, so why are you treating Johnny Test differently just because it's a comedy? You say it's impossible to defend this move without more information, but it's okay to deride it without said information? How does that work? Cartoon Network loves comedies right now, and they love Johnny Test, and they seemingly want the re-runs to get better ratings. What's the huge issue here? It is kind of eye-roll worthy but nothing serious, unless Pokémon's ratings take a sudden dive or something. :rolleyes:

Pokémon and Johnny Test are both third-party shows, so why are you treating Johnny Test differently just because it's a comedy?

Cartoon Network has a well known reputation for treating its action shows pretty badly. Every show that was moved was an action shows, which were usually clustered on Saturday mornings, for a comedy. If you look at most of their line-up, it's mostly filled with comedy shows and a lot of their actions shows (like Young Justice, Green Lantern, etc) usually don't get fair treatment. Johnny Test is getting more flack here since it airs about as often in a week as the other three shows combined.

You say it's impossible to defend this move without more information, but it's okay to deride it without said information? How does that work?

I said properly defend it. You do know there's a difference between defending something and giving a proper defense, right? For example, what people who are trying to defend this are merely speculating as to why they did this. Speculation isn't a proper defense (especially when the speculation doesn't work out). In short, people are defending the move, whereas people are criticizing what move does. You need more information to give a good defense than to criticize it.

and they seemingly want the re-runs to get better ratings. What's the huge issue here?

At the cost of other shows that don't get many other slots; for example, this move removes one of the shows off the air entirely. Specifically for Pokemon, it means getting up earlier for some people and moving it for no apparent reason for show that will rerun three consecutive times after it.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to request that you all settle down and stop being so testy in your replies to one another.

It would be nice if they repeated the newest episode at night, perhaps 8PM? That way I don't have to find it online somewhere.

It would be nice if they repeated the newest episode at night, perhaps 8PM? That way I don't have to find it online somewhere.

Adult Swim now starts at 8PM, so that wouldn't be an option now. Even if they had that hour back, they'd rather use that time for premieres of their own shows or reruns of their own shows. Having the episode repeated earlier than the Sunday afterwards would be nice though. Putting them up on Pokemon.com for at least a short amount of time, like maybe a week, would be nice too.

I thought that they were involved with making Johnny Test now, but I must have been mistaken. Cartoon Network is primarily focusing on their comedy series right now given how successful they are, so wanting them to give a better timeslot to a comedy series isn't too surprising. It's still a bummer that they moved its premiere time again, but a half-hour earlier isn't really that bad all things considered.

Poyo said:
In short, people are defending the move

No, people are answering the question posed by the original post ("why would they need to change?") with their theories as to what's going on in the heads of those in charge. People are explaining, not defending.

Either way, it's just a half an hour. Pokemon's had much, much worse time slots in the past (the Team Galactic finale debuted at like 7:30 in the morning, IIRC) and was able to weather those so it's not like this change to 8:00am is going to do any sort of significant damage to the franchise.

No, people are answering the question posed by the original post ("why would they need to change?") with their theories as to what's going on in the heads of those in charge. People are explaining, not defending.

Either way, it's just a half an hour. Pokemon's had much, much worse time slots in the past (the Team Galactic finale debuted at like 7:30 in the morning, IIRC) and was able to weather those so it's not like this change to 8:00am is going to do any sort of significant damage to the franchise.

I think that a good portion of Galactic Battles and Sinnoh League Victors aired at 7AM. I know that the Sinnoh Grand Festival arc aired during that time and they didn't move it back to 8 or 8:30AM until just before the Sinnoh League started, so that was a much worse timeslot change. A half hour earlier, by comparison, isn't really that bad at all.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I thought of something.

What if Turner/TPCi are planning on shortening the time between the Japanese/US airdates in the form of airing two episodes back-to-back? This would make sense because CN has been airing Clarence at 8:30 and 9:00 on some Saturdays after the timeslot switch (though they're airing Teen Titans Go! next Saturday like the weekdays, so maybe that's it). Just thinking it may end up like what they did with Battle Frontier.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I thought of something.

What if Turner/TPCi are planning on shortening the time between the Japanese/US airdates in the form of airing two episodes back-to-back? This would make sense because CN has been airing Clarence at 8:30 and 9:00 on some Saturdays after the timeslot switch (though they're airing Teen Titans Go! next Saturday like the weekdays, so maybe that's it). Just thinking it may end up like what they did with Battle Frontier.

Well, TPCi is already only like... ten episodes behind the Japanese version. I don't know how much closer they can or want to get. I'm sure there has to be at least some minimum amount of time needed in between the airings (XY01&02 being a special exception.) I think it's crazy how close the dub is to the Japanese airings already. I can't imagine them doubling up.

It would certainly be something to see, though.

They also probably want to give more attention to the shows they own, rather than a third party show like Pokemon. Plus, even though it does really well ratings wise on their Saturday lineup, ratings aren't a huge deal for Pokemon. It is too bad that it's moved to 8AM. It's not too bad, especially compared to the 7AM premieres they had in the middle of DP, but I've been used to waking up at 8:30AM on Saturdays for a long time. I guess I'll have to get used to 8AM.

Ugh, I know. I never wake up before 11 am. But now I'll have to (I have a dish, so I can see both CN channels in the US)... I hate waking up before 11am. Mostly because I don't go to sleep before 2am :p

Given that the dub still takes large-ish breaks every now and then to make up for the fact that they don't have the raw's occasional one-week breaks, I think TPCi is okay with the 10-episode gap they have now.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom