• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Character Accents

owenpeterson

Reaction score
Throughout the shows history, Ash has traveled throughout the Pokemon world and has met many different people and their Pokemon. And as you can see in the English dub, several COTD and recurring characters have distinguishable accents. Sometimes depending on their profession. Other times, they're cariactures of a specific type of person and so on.

What I would like to know is which particular Pokemon Anime character accents are the most memorable, familiar, or strange or whatnot?

I always felt that Lawrence III was the only character who had a legitimate British accent.

The Brothers in the XY episode using Yo-Yo through out, that was something funny and one of the good gags

Monsieur Pierre is memorable, then again, we saw him 3 episodes ago as of 1/24/16.

I just happened to watch Charmander the Stray Pokemon today from season 1, Damian (Charmander's old trainer) has a pretty ridiculous accent and I really have no idea why. Since I can't really pick out an accent in Japanese, I wonder if the accents are made by the dub or if they are translated, someone probably knows the answer to this?

Since I can't really pick out an accent in Japanese, I wonder if the accents are made by the dub or if they are translated, someone probably knows the answer to this?

I've seen many instances from all kinds of Japanese media where characters who had Kansai dialects were given Southern accents in English dubbing. I wonder if Japan does the opposite of that when they dub American media.

Here's a few I remember:

AJ from Path to the Pokemon League had a Southern accent. As well as James' family and Jessiebelle. Though the latters had more of a Southern Belle/Gentleman sort of feel to their dialect.
Lara Laramie and everyone on the Laramie Ranch had a Southern/Texas accent to coincide with the Cowboy/Western feel of it.
That archaeologist girl from the Pokemopolis episode had somewhat of a French accent I guess.
Of course we have seen more than a few characters with British accents:
Bill, Damien, Lily (the witch from Johto), Giovanni (lightly), The Royal Family of Sinnoh, etc.

That's all I can think of for now.

Okay I can't really comment about the Eng dub since I didn't grow up with it, and started watching this particular one by my teens. What I can say is that some random characters are, for some reason, given other countries' accents, such as Russian or English.

Now for my dub, every single character who's given a distinct accent (counting the American ones like the Southern) have regular, equal way of speech. That is, Akira (AJ) speaks like Satoshi, that psychic guy from Natsume's gym too, etc...
Except for Lawrence III, the movie was dubbed in another state in my born place, therefore the hired company had to bring Satoshi, Kasumi, Takeshi and the Rocket trio (but Nyasu, who was left out somehow)'s VAs to this spot.
So yeah the whole cast of the first 3 movies speak differently than the main characters.

I always got the impression that Princess Salvia was supposed to be British, but the dub actress couldn't pull off the accent very well
Salvia.png

I seem to remember that Mandi, Ash's first opponent in the Indigo League had an italian Accent.
The man running that exam in that Ultimate Test episode sounded Scottish to me.
The Magikarp salesman had one of those Spanish language accents (I forget which one)
The Team Rocket Meowth has a Brooklyn accent.

The Team Rocket Meowth has a Brooklyn accent.

Which he somehow learned from ladies with exaggerated French accents. But then again, I've seen four mutant turtles learn California surfer speak (with accents to match) despite growing up in New York under the care of a Japanese rat. Cartoon character accents are random...

-I assume that Otoshi from "Bad to the Bone" in the English dub was supposed to have a Japanese accent of some sort to coincide with his martial arts style training.
-That artist from Johto with the Smeargle had a French one for obvious reasons.
-Lt. Surge sounded kinda New York/New Jersey.

Since people asked about distinct accents in the Japanese version I remember one just fine. Remember Casey from OS? (or Nanako in the original anime)
She was given a Kansai accent, and if you can get mostly of what they say (like me), you notice how she talks differently from the other characters. Also Serena's mirror version was also portrayed with that same accent in early-XY.

I'm not sure if Casey\Nanako has some sort of a Southern accent in the 4kids dubbing... As far as I know in my country's dub she speaks exactly like the other characters ("E vencer, do começo ao fim, Electabuzz é assim. YEAH!", can never forget this baseball anthem xDD)

-In the Battle Aboard the Saint Anne, the captain had an Irish accent if I recall,
-and the gentleman with the Raticate had a slight Southern Accent.
-The lady at the Pokemon Center in the first movie had an accent as well, although I don't know which one.
I have a hunch that as far as the English dub is concerned, I'm gonna guess that the British accent is the most frequent distinguishable accent used in the show.

Last edited:
1. That guy with the Southern accent, Damian.
2. Anyone that Bill Timoney voiced, most notably Nando and HARLEY!
3. PINOT NOIR

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom