• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Non-Mafia Pokemon Chess - Final Round

@Midorikawa @ExLight
pk chessboard.png

Well, just for the sake of formality, this is how the board looks in the end:
pk chessboard.png

So well, congratulations for Midorikawa for winning this fierce match, and thus - the entire tournament!

Aaaaand this is the end of the first ever Pokemon Chess competition. Maybe someday I'll make another one... after refining the rules a bit.

So, did you enjoy the game? What would you change, what did you like, what didn't? Any other feedback?

Thanks for hosting, Acrobatic Crobat!

I think some pieces are a bit busted and that pawns maybe should be able to move backwards.
I'll prolly ellaborate on which ones are prolly too strong because I can't really remember from the top of my head which ones were a bit of an issue rn.

I also feel like special outside pieces that can be used mid game or placed during the game would be interesting additions (i.e. a voltorb/electrode that you place anytime on the board to blast a 1x1 cross(+) or a Ditto tthat you can place anytime to copy a poké you lost/your opponent owns, etc.)

My main issue was prolly the question that arose mid game, as to what would happen if the game reached a stalemate where neither players could capture all the opponent's pieces. I feel like the late game can get super exhausting considering all grown pieces can move more than one title in some direction, making it extra hard to corner them. Maybe imposing a less harsh wincon like a minimum number of fully evolved mons or something.

Having a king piece whose losing means you lose the game, like in actual chess, seems like the best idea. Problem is, I just don't know which Pokemon could it be. Plus, if still going with "all starters", it would mean having to increase board size to 10x10, which starts being a bit too big.

I think it was a bit too complicated. There was a lot we had to learn and try to remember, and it barely looked like chess anymore. Maybe use different Pokémon like legendaries, and make them move like actual chess pieces. Was disappointed I couldn’t castle :p

I think it was a bit too complicated. There was a lot we had to learn and try to remember, and it barely looked like chess anymore. Maybe use different Pokémon like legendaries, and make them move like actual chess pieces. Was disappointed I couldn’t castle :p
ok now you just want chess lmao

Back
Top Bottom