• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon.co.jp updated: Art, new information revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this feature detailing the current weather might be intended to streamline the battle process. I know I tend to get impatient when I have to sit through "The sandstorm rages. Mightyena was buffeted by the sandstorm! Salamence was buffeted by the sandstorm!" every single bloody turn.

I wonder if this feature detailing the current weather might be intended to streamline the battle process. I know I tend to get impatient when I have to sit through "The sandstorm rages. Mightyena was buffeted by the sandstorm! Salamence was buffeted by the sandstorm!" every single bloody turn.

Glad to see i'm not the only one who gets annoyed by that, especially when entering battles with my tyranitar. I hope it is intended to make the process faster so we don't have to wait so long in between turns.

Keldora Dragon said:
Pushing a system to its limits doesn't always make for a good game.

Purposely holding a game back to make it easier to make sequels doesn't help, either.

Unown Lord said:
What would you consider to be a game that does push the DS' Wi-Fi capacities to their limits?

I'm not sure about pushing the Wi-Fi capabilities to its limits, but Mario Kart DS allows four players to race each other over Wi-Fi. There are limitations, yes, but still; four player simultaneous. For a 3D racing game, at that. As you mentioned earlier, you can't do that with any of the Generation IV games.

The argument that "Pokemon's never done it, so it can't be done" is ridiculous because, as I've said before, Game Freak never takes full advantage of the hardware they worked with.

With that said, it'll be interesting to see what this whole "connect Generation V to the Internet" thing will end up being.

By the way, the wording of the news article this thread is for is a bit misleading. The text on the website says that you can upload your save data to the Internet and access a special website that enables you to play certain web-exclusive functions. It doesn't say anything about being able to actually play Black & White on a computer, the way you would with, say, a ROM.

For all we know, this whole connectivity thing could just be a fancier, non-mobile version of the Pokewalker.

Glad to see i'm not the only one who gets annoyed by that, especially when entering battles with my tyranitar. I hope it is intended to make the process faster so we don't have to wait so long in between turns.

What I think they should have done is show the weather animation and display the text at the same time. I like the little animations.

It's not unusual at all for simple menu things like that to be bilingual in a Japanese game. Tons of other RPGs have done the exact same thing in the past.

I've never seen it in a Pokemon game though.

This new weather thing..

GF must take out the constant weather notifications due to this.

It doesn't say anything about being able to actually play Black & White on a computer, the way you would with, say, a ROM.

Maybe that's why they gave the name Zekrom to one of the Legendaries?:naughty:

Weirdness aside... for the bilingual part, I understand that there's plenty of games out there that have that feature. There was a PS3 game that I was tempted to get, and it was bilingual in Chinese and English. But I think the reason why people have taken interest in it with this particular game is that this is the first time it's happened with these certain games, as stated in the article:

For the first time, the battle interface contains both Japanese and English text: the games appear to be at least somewhat bilingual.

I agree that it's not that big of importance, but nonetheless it was apparently important enough to be brought up in the article in the first place. Personally, I think it's a pretty interesting feature.

I'm kinda glad that they decided to show the time in the battle menu, I'm hoping that they bring back the feature of showing the time on the touchscreen during gameplay like what they did with D/P/Pt. I can always just look at my watch to keep track of time, but what the hey...:smokin:

Purposely holding a game back to make it easier to make sequels doesn't help, either.

I'm not sure about pushing the Wi-Fi capabilities to its limits, but Mario Kart DS allows four players to race each other over Wi-Fi. There are limitations, yes, but still; four player simultaneous. For a 3D racing game, at that. As you mentioned earlier, you can't do that with any of the Generation IV games.

The argument that "Pokemon's never done it, so it can't be done" is ridiculous because, as I've said before, Game Freak never takes full advantage of the hardware they worked with.
It's nice to be able to take a stab at Game Freak for taking the easy way out, and I certainly agree with you. But this is not relevant to my suggestion, which involves at least 16 players connecting for a tournament; none of the DS games have done something like that.

It'd be better if the weather is constantly shown at the top screen like it's really raining in the battle (not just between the turns as it appears now). I really would like to keep seeing weather special effects on battles, they could just make the text appear is a faster way...

..Hm. Seems like weather must be important because why would we need to know the weather when we can see it?

Why is the screenshot bilingual?

Conversely, why would we need to see the time when we can get a general idea from the battle screen?

Native language + Universal language. It'll get cut in translated versions. It's commonplace.

They're still images of animated sprites. It happens.

That's because it's zoomed in too much. They shouldn't do that on DS games...

What's wrong with the sprite? It looks fine to me.

It's blurry/pixelated compared to the rest of the image. It looks completely out of place and there's no need for it. >_> Not to mention it's 2-d and the scenery is 3-d.

I'm really curious about this internet connectivity feature.

I believe that there is hardly need for such an effort in order to enable a, say, 16-players tournament as Unown Lord suggests. While a feature like this would be really interesting, and I'm hopying we will see it in Black and White, it would be a thing fairly easy to do in any console ulitising Wi-Fi technology. And for sure, it doesn't require nearly as much of data transfer - which actually doesn't really have to do with the system's specs - as other multiplayer experiences on DS do.

The aforementioned feature, if we're talking about the same thing, could be given life through a wholy different system done on DS itself. One would have the option to either create a room with the desired rules - as in levels, single/double, allowed Pokemon, etc. - or join an already existing room. Now, I'm not sure if they would bother to do such a thing, but I can rest assured that it is totally possible.

As for the new feature as in uploading your save, I have really no idea! I remember seeing a post of Unown Lord mentioning something about the GTS site being updated. I could totally see this happening; trading from your computer, and then getting the save back to the cartage, updating the Boxes' content. But I still feel this is possible - as proven by DPT/HGSS online features - on DS, so, it wouldn't be necessary for them to build such a unique feature to solely use this way.

I could imagine an online hub on the old Pokemon Yahoo site style; though, I wouldn't base my hopes on such a possibility.

I guess we'll find out soon enough!

Speaking of the Yahoo Site, anyone heard about a similar one for Pokemon Black and White?

Am I the only one that actually prefers the 2D sprites over using 3D models for the main series? Leave the full 3D to a console game like some sort of Colosseum style RPG. Plus the 2D sprites for the Pokemon games have a certain charm that is severely lacking in most other RPG series. (All we need are expressive features in these sprites and we'd be set.) Besides not all parts of the game are shot at close up angles anyways. I know people are going to find a way to counter my argument but it's my opinion.

It just proves my point that we should have a full 3D overworld.

The 3D overworld is awesome, but for some reason I prefer GF using sprites over 3D models. Just a personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom