• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon.co.jp updated: Art, new information revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
And for sure, it doesn't require nearly as much of data transfer - which actually doesn't really have to do with the system's specs - as other multiplayer experiences on DS do.

The aforementioned feature, if we're talking about the same thing, could be given life through a wholy different system done on DS itself. One would have the option to either create a room with the desired rules - as in levels, single/double, allowed Pokemon, etc. - or join an already existing room. Now, I'm not sure if they would bother to do such a thing, but I can rest assured that it is totally possible.
You seem pretty sure of that, but where is the evidence that the DS can pull it off? Every Wi-Fi feature is limited to its wireless counterpart in some way, and how many games even have 16-player wireless communication?

Besides, 16 is thinking small. Think more along the lines of 64 or 128 people, like in the official tournaments. You're also missing the required need to organize such tournaments; they should neither be random nor Friend Code-based for obvious reasons. How would the DS handle that?

You seem pretty sure of that, but where is the evidence that the DS can pull it off? Every Wi-Fi feature is limited to its wireless counterpart in some way, and how many games even have 16-player wireless communication?

Besides, 16 is thinking small. Think more along the lines of 64 or 128 people, like in the official tournaments.

I'm not aware of any game that features 16-player wireless communication. I think Phantasy Star Zero features online communication of quite a few players, but I'm not exactly sure on the number. That said, I believe that DS' wireless limitations wouldn't deprive such possibility; games like Mario Kart DS or Metroid Prime: Hunters, transfer a whole more data, including positions, items, powerups, etc.

In the said online tournament system, direct communication wouldn't necessarily be needed. The host would make a room, which could be accomodated on a Nintendo server. Other player joining the room don't need to directly communicate with the rest of the players, as data transfer can be handled by the server, rather than the DS system itself. Besides, each player would only need to communicate with their opponent, while the rest data would solely be the battles' results. I doubt this would even limit the number of players possible to join.

You're also missing the required need to organize such tournaments; they should neither be random nor Friend Code-based for obvious reasons. How would the DS handle that?

The rooms system can be handled; with them having a name, or an ID, it would allow the host to be able to invite friends on the room, while random players could join if the host has opted on the respective option.

Now, this just wishful thinking. :p While I strongly believe DS can support a feature like this, I think that there are still some bars, such as Nintendo's Friend Codes policy and Game Freak bothering fixing an online system like this.

Maybe the announced feature could handle these non-technical limitations, and I certainly do hope so!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom