• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon.com mailbag: Arceus movie to air "this year"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Douchebaggery at its finest. I'm still pronouncing it Arseeus cause of PBR.

Eh...I don't find it to be *that* rude, really.

Still, I wonder how in the hell they decided upon that pronunciation.

And really, the Japanese version pronounces it Ar-say-oos.

I didn't mean that the person with the question was saying it like the Japanese, just that the "up-to-date" pronunciation wasn't right.

And this whole up-to-date pronunciation thing is pretty hilarious. I didn't realize until the other replies that there's already inconsistencies in the official English pronunciation. I wouldn't be surprised if it was changed again.

Well, it wouldn't be the first pokemon whose name got an inconsistent pronunciation.

Wasn't Raikou's name also pronounced two different ways in the dub? Rai-koh in the Johto episodes, and then Rai-koo in "The Legend of Thunder" and all subsequent appearances?

I'm sure there are other examples.

Of course, this all begs the question: what's the rush?

I don't know, but within this year seems now just as possible, considering the TCG set featuring Arceus is coming this November.

Well, it wouldn't be the first pokemon whose name got an inconsistent pronunciation.

I thought that only happened with the 4Kids dub. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought PCI actually stayed consistent.

The movies/video games and corresponding TCG sets always come out around the same time. There are only two sets we don't have right now: Arceus and HGSS. Since you can't put HGSS before Arceus, Arceus had to be next, which meant the movie had to come out around the same time. Then HGSS TCG would come out in February and HGSS around March. It would be odd for the movie to come out next year several months after the corresponding set. So that's why it's going to air this year.

EDIT: And Ark-ee-us is a bunch of bullpoo. Watch the dub pronounce it Ar-see-us like it should be. If they pronounce it with the hard "c" they will seem less credible than fan sites! :p At least with Rayquaza it actually made sense (quazar). The person who's updating the mailbag is probably wrong; the mailbag itself has been wrong before.

I don't see what the Johto is "rude" with Pokémon.com's answer... why should they care about the Japanese name? they answer about the official English name so how the name is pronounced in Japanese doesn't matter at all, they can do whatever they want - even if we don't like it
Since they were all sure and tell us to watch the movie and see I wouldn't doubt this

Also - I find it funny people say they're inconsistent because the TV/Movies page says "release: 2010"
I think people missed the word RELEASE which to me sounds like the DVD release
The mailbag asked when it'll AIR which to me sounds like the usual TV airing before it's released to DVD

And I don't see why they shouldn't "rush" with it
The dub is already close to the episodes that aired around the movie release in Japan
And as WPM explained, they now try as much as possible to keep the episodes/movies/games/TCG all related to each other and help advertise each other

They're being inconsistent with THEIR OWN pronunciation, though.

In the English version of Pokemon Battle Revolution, the character's name is pronounced "Ar-see-us."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IafBCHkmNw

(check out the 0:54 mark)

As for the whole release vs. air thing...I really doubt the people over at Pokemon.com care that much about semantics. They just can't get their shit together; simple as that.

And the last point...

If Cartoon Network continues with their once-a-week schedule, then the episode with the spoiler (DP 132) will air on November 14th. Which, by the way, isn't even the last episode before the movie aired in Japan - that was DP 135.

So if the movie does come out this year, it will come out in either late November or sometime in December.

And if they do that, then we probably can't expect to see the thirteenth movie in the U.S. until at least a few months after it premieres in Japanese theaters in July.

Do you really want a huge gap between the twelfth and thirteenth movies?

I thought that only happened with the 4Kids dub. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought PCI actually stayed consistent.
If I remember correctly, Dialga was pronounced different in Movie 10 (die-alga (like in the word die)) then it was in Movie 11 (where they adopt Japanese pronunciation).

They're being inconsistent with THEIR OWN pronunciation, though.

In the English version of Pokemon Battle Revolution, the character's name is pronounced "Ar-see-us."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IafBCHkmNw

(check out the 0:54 mark)

Thank you. I've been trying to find one where Arceus's name is pronounced. I'll sleep easier tonight knowing it wasn't always pronounced Ark-ee-us.

Although the mailbag did make a point of saying that it was an 'up-to-date' pronunciation. In case someone dares to play the PBR card in the next mailbag (although they'd probably ignore a question brought about by having to hack into the game)

Well if they manage to churn out a dub of movie 13 as quickly as they do movie 12, then the gap between dub airings won't be any longer than the gap between the Japanese releases.

Why would it be a huge gap? It would be around a year same as Japan, if they do decide to change up the date to December.

Aside from the Arceus TCG I really can't see what the difference between the 12th and 13th movie will be. Why would the Japanese delay longer giving the 13th movie to the dubbing company if they didn't do it the same with the 12th. And I doubt very much that the dub would miss 2010 completely.

And even if it's because there would be two Pokemon movies in 2009 (for the dub), there's really nothing they can do, they can only wait until the Japanese airs a new movie, they were just lucky this time that they could air two movies in the same year since they usually waited until the new year before airing the Pokemon movie.

Huh I wonder. If the year gap is going to be for December for the movies I hope sooner or later the games get a slight change to February finally. But whatever everything coincides with November December so I guess its all good.

impossible! they said 2010 on the main site, now some guy in an interview says this "year"?

2010 for DVD possibly. I think i fits perfectly so whatever.

Although the mailbag did make a point of saying that it was an 'up-to-date' pronunciation. In case someone dares to play the PBR card in the next mailbag (although they'd probably ignore a question brought about by having to hack into the game)

How about this: My friend in Japan had an Arceus, and we traded so I can see if I could use it on Pokemon Battle Revolution, because it's awesome. And when the announcer called the name it was "Ar-See-Us" so how do you explain that?

I don't know if I could care about the whole pronunciation thing. I mean "Ark-ee-Us" doesn't make sense. I mean I suppose Arc is pronounced with a hard C, but then consider Celery, and all the other CE words out there. It's like they saw "A-r-c" and then was like oh "Ark" and they just completely ignored everything else.

Our 'friends in Japan' could show us a lot of things, like widescreen episodes of the anime.

I'd still be interested in knowing whether this change in pronunciation was a deliberate decision or simply a really big memory lapse.

If I remember correctly, Dialga was pronounced different in Movie 10 (die-alga (like in the word die)) then it was in Movie 11 (where they adopt Japanese pronunciation).

Also, Suicune was mispronounced in that DP filler despite being pronounced right in movie 4 (wasn't it? Haven't seen the movie dubbed for ages).

I think the guy who updates the mailbag is just wrong. He probably didn't even look into the pronunciation and said it the way he thinks it should be said (and really, that kind of pronunciation sounds so much like how an American adult who knows nothing about Pokeman would say it). There's no way it's pronounced with a hard "c." They would have spelled it Arkeus if they intended it to be pronounced that way.

Also, Suicune was mispronounced in that DP filler despite being pronounced right in movie 4 (wasn't it? Haven't seen the movie dubbed for ages).
I can't confirm this, since I only saw Movie 4 either in Czech dub or in Japanese. Interestingly though, Czech dub pronounced Suicune's name the same way in both Movie 4 and that DP episode. But Movie 4 was still dubbed by 4Kids and we all know there's more pronounciation PUSA/TPCI changed from 4Kids. Best example may be Gligar. But what Musashi originally asked was if PUSA/TPCI ever changed their own pronounciation and the only case I can remember was that Dialga case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom