• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Creepypasta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, you actually wrote it very well. A rarity on bulbapedia, most that I find are too enterkey-happy, are comma splices galore, or don't use any commas. It seemed more like a "weird" story than a scary one, though.

EDIT: Just checked the tumblr site again

Don't Look

This has always been a quiet town. As of late, it’s been quieter still. These days, people are reluctant to leave their homes.

It started off harmlessly enough. In fact, when it began, no-one would realise for quite some time that it even had. People began to suffer from increasingly severe headaches. Children were affected the most. My wife was one of the people affected, I myself did not notice any ill effect, and did not make the connection until much later.

I would guess that it was roughly a week after these headaches started, that anyone first noticed something was amiss. The first body found was a young boy, I couldn’t say for sure but I think he must have been only 12 years old at the most. Looked to be suicide.

That was just the start. From that point on, people started dropping like flies. Most fell into some manner of coma; some were suicides, as with the first case, while a small few seemed to have died outright, of no discernible cause.

What was more baffling still, was that there was little rhyme or reason to those affected, no common thread tying these people together.

Though concerned, of course, I had my own job to do, and thought I could do little else but leave the matter to those that were qualified to deal with it.

When I returned to my home not three days from the first death, however, I changed my mind.

- - -

I daresay whoever is reading this can guess at what awaited me. I would request your understanding that I do not wish to dwell long on this particular detail. Suffice to say, my wife was not waiting for my return, to greet me in our usual fashion, nor will be again.

I now had a personal stake in events, and understood all too clearly the terrible reality of the situation. With this, how could I possibly sit by and hope that someone else would resolve the situation? No, I had to do whatever I could.

The public, understandably, were quite reluctant to divulge any information to me. I cannot blame them for that. Slowly, I began to piece together the events of, by this stage, the last couple of months.

The first indication that something was wrong, I realised, was the headaches. These still persisted, and typically, when they were at their worst, someone would suffer in some fashion soon after.

However, those suffering from the headaches, and those that were dying or falling from consciousness, were two different groups. Sometimes overlapping, but it was still clear that one did not lead to the other. So rather than being the cause, I can only fathom that these headaches are a sign of the presence of whatever is doing this.

The second thing that caught my interest was the state of the victims. In almost every case, regardless of the eventual outcome, the victims show signs of self-inflicted injury. Even those patients that have survived, albeit remaining, still, unconscious, show signs of this.

The final piece of information that I have managed to gather, and the detail that has been by far the most difficult on which to persuade people to speak, is as follows.

Only 10 hours prior to the first death, erratic behavior was observed in a variety of electronic equipment. Key amongst these, in my opinion, are that through radio and other audio emitting devices, a heavy static and garbled noises have been experienced [Headaches seem to have been especially severe in those to have heard this.], and that there have been claims that a shadowy figure was seen crossing TV monitors, against a backdrop of static. Of the latter, I have only been able to gather second-hand accounts. Only a couple of months ago, I would have dismissed such fanciful tales, but with the town’s atmosphere as it is, with all those that have suffered, I find the idea that there is some connection to these events quite plausible.

It is only now, that I come to write this, that I realize that in the past few weeks, many of the people I have spoken to have left their TVS and radios switched off, unplugged, or seem not to own one at all.

- - -

I’ve seen it! The shadow they spoke of!

I was at the hospital, attempting to find out if they had observed any change in the comatose victims. My, I must profess, unsuccessful, attempts at interrogation were interrupted by a sudden, harsh burst of static. The nurse fled immediately, but I, instead, sought the source of the noise.

The screen that would normally display the patient’s vital signs was the culprit, now only a flurry of snow upon it. Against my better judgement, I did not avert my eyes, and so, continued to look on as I saw an indistinct, shadowy figure pass from one side of the screen to the other. Once it had passed, the noise subsided, and the original display slowly flickered back into view.

This is it, the cause of these events, I am sure of it. And now, having seen it. My fate. Is it, perhaps, the same?

You may be familiar with how, if you gaze upon a bright light, an image of its shape will remain once you close your eyes. That shadowy figure, in this manner, remains with me now, as I write this. It has not faded.

Worse, it does not remain still. Since I first saw it, the figure has imitated the first few steps of the figure I saw in the monitor. But now, I know, it has become aware of me, and is slowly turning in my direction.

If I could keep my eyes open, perhaps I would be safe, but everyone needs to blink. My eyes may only close for a fraction of a second; too briefly for me to even see how much progress that figure has made but I know, all the same, that it’s progress is unstoppable now. Perhaps if I took a longer look, the figure may not, by now, be quite so indistinct. Perhaps, if I had the courage, I might be able to offer some insight as to the identity of this killer. But I dare not. I do not know how close it is to me now.

I don’t know how much time I have left, but I must tell all I can, in the hopes that someone may succeed where I have failed.

You may have figured it out by now, you, who are reading this, but the injuries sustained by the previous victims…In almost all cases, the injuries were to the eyes. Some died in the attempt, but those who now lie in comas are the ones that succeeded in destroying their sight. Many that died showed signs of trying, as well, but I can only imagine they were not quite fast enough.

I…do not have the will to attempt it, I can only hope what I write here will, in some way, help to end this.

Do not look upon ANY manner of screen.

No matter what happens.

Do NOT look.

It’s close!

It’s he

- - -

‘Kadabra, Pokédex entry: Leaf Green – It emits special alpha waves from its body that induce headaches just by being close.’

‘Kadabra, Pokédex entry: Diamond – If one is nearby, an eerie shadow appears on TV screens. Seeing the shadow is said to bring bad luck.’
http://nonparael.deviantart.com/#/d2zcvju

I was inspired.
in96p4.png

Dang. Last time I checked this thread it was at page 34. o:

After reading a creepypasta (AN EPIC ONE--better than everything here, even Lost Silver, Creepy Black, everything) about a haunted Zelda: Majora's Mask game, I'm inspired to think of something like that only with Pokemon of course. :'D

After reading a creepypasta (AN EPIC ONE--better than everything here, even Lost Silver, Creepy Black, everything) about a haunted Zelda: Majora's Mask game, I'm inspired to think of something like that only with Pokemon of course. :'D

Oh yeah, I read that one myself. That one was very epic, especially if you watch the videos.

I kinda like how many of the creepypastas are called X Red or Y Silver, etc. I wish more pokemon hack creepypastas were like that.

Souless Gold
Hello all! I am here to tell you all about a game which I once found. A game that would change the way I looked at Gen 2, forever!

So, the other day I was out in town, picking up a few items for Collage that I would be starting soon. I just left W.H. Smiths when a small, orange twingle on the ground caught my eye. I picked it up and to my amazment, it was a DS game! Its colour was the orangy like colour that you see on Pokemon Platinum, except the title of it read "Pokemon Soul Silver".

I owned Heart Gold, and having Soul Silver would be awesome! So I quickly dashed back home to start up a new adventure in Soul Silver. The game turned on as usual, except I was unable to skip the intro scene. I didnt care, and desided to watch the awesome scene. Ho-oh flew up to the screen, there was the rushing grass, followed by Gold and Lyra. I quickly notice that Gold and Lyras eyes are completly black, like voids. Through the entier intro I saw that everyone had void eyes, except for one character. The rival!

After that crazy intro, I was finaly at the menu. The title read at the top "Souless Gold". The Souless part being in its silvery colour, and the Gold bit being, well, golden! However, there was no little Heart Gold/Soul Silver emblem beside the title. On the lower scene I can see both Ho-oh AND Lugias animation, they apear to be both faded but over laping one another. I hit the A button where I am introduced with the selection menu. I notice the ONLY option is "Continue". No wifi, or new game! Getting abit worried, I pressed B so I was back on the first title page and I pressed Up, select and B to open up the deleat saved data. However, instead of the "Erase saved data" text, it read "You can not escape this fate!", and I am right away thrown back to the selection menu. I have no choice but to hit the continue option. I notice the persons name was "Gilver", I'm guessing this was a name cross of "Gold" and "Silver". His played time is "13:13", his number of badges is 8 and his Pokedex number is 3. How odd...

The game opens up, and I am standing in Mahogany Town, directly outside the house where the Team Rocket HQ is. Right away, I spot a number of edits to the game. My character is neither Gold, or Lyra. But instead I am Falkner, the Gym leader! There is no Pokemon following me. There apear to be no people in the Town, and instead of the usual happy music playing, the radio transmition theme song that you hear when in the Team Rocket HQ plays. Its eary sound sends a chill right down my spine. I check out "Gilvers" team to find that he has the 3 starters, in their final evos at level 100. Typhlosion, Feraligatr and Meganium. I check their profiles and they apear to be perfectly normal; Crys, sprite animation, the lot! The only difference is they all have the same stats. Every stat is number "13", except for Special Attack and HP which are both "250". I also notice that Typhlosion knows only Flamethrower, Feraligatr only knows Surf, and Meganium only knows Energy Ball, I also noticed the PP of their attacks were "13/13". By now I notice 13 is a much loved number in this game. I then checked his bag, and THE ONLY Item he had was "The Enigma Stone". The event Item that summons Latias and Latios! I didnt feel like checking out anything else, I just wanted to explore!

I walked to my left, to find that the left exit is blocked by rocks. I thought that maybe there was only one route out and desided to walk to the right, which was also blocked by rocks. I tryed to go into the Pokemon Center to see if he had a flying Pokemon in his PC, but the doors wont open. No doors in the whole town will open! Thats when I remembered there is an exit up north, leading to the Lake of Rage. Its my best bet. I enter the gate to the north, expecting to see no people. However, the gate (inside the building) is being blocked by aload of Police men. I walked up to them and spoke to them, and they all said the same thing; "Suffer". I had no choice but to head back into Mahogany Town. The eary Team Rocket Transmition wave theme continues to play. I walked around Mahogany Town for about 2 or so Mins, when I desided to try going back into the houses. Non of the house worked as I expect. However, the Pokemon Center DID work this time! As I enter, I notice there is no one around, the computer is missing and the stairs leading up and down are blocked by sign posts. I desided to check the signs, and they said exactly what the Police Men said; "Suffer". By this time, I guessed that "Suffering" would be the main theme of this game. Unable to interact with anything else in the Pokemon Center, I exit back to Mahogany Town.

The eary Team Rocket wave music is changed into more lively music, the rival encounter! The rival approaches me from the left and begins to speak to me. His text was as follows.

"Soul: You saw them, didnt you? The Police men? They wont let me through, how annoying! Listen, we must leave here! See you around!"

And with that, my rival leaves. I noticed that the last player of this game called his rival "Soul", perhaps after the games name? Well, I would soon find out! After the rival exits off screen, my overworld sprite of Falkner begins to spin, as if I had used an escape rope. My character then re-enters in the heart of Violet City. Just like with Mahogany Town, I am unable to escape, and there are no people in the town, and the Team Rocket Transmition wave song is playing. All the house doors are locked except for the Pokemon Gym. By this point I cant help but notice that the Gyms owner is the charater who I am playing as; Falkner!

Apon entering the Gym, I realise that it isnt its original deisgn. Expect it is an empy room which apeared to be the same size as the players bedroom back in Newbark Town. To the end of the room I spot what apears to be the male character facing the wall. Without hesitation, I walk over to him and press A. His text is as follows: "... ... ... ... ... ..."

Exactly what Red says! And without warning, I am thrown into a Pokemon Battle. The Rocket Transmition Wave music changes to the Victory Road theme as the battle starts up. My back sprite matches Falkner perfectly. Golds sprite apears to be the same, however the only edits are his eyes are completly black-like voids, and he isnt smiling at all, he looks quite sad. The text pops up "Gold challenges you!". Gold has 6 Pokemon, and I only have 3, maybe this will be hard?

Gold sends forth a Ditto at level 100, and I send out Typhlosion. I remembered that Typhlosion had 13 points in speed, so I was sure to be last. Ditto uses transform, and instead of turning into Typhlosion, he turns into an Unown! My turn to attack, and I use Flamethrower, finishing off the Unown with ease. Gold switches to his next Pokemon, which is yet another Ditto, and the prosses continues through the whole battle. The Unowns that the Dittos transformed into apeared in this order: "S. U. F. F. E. R." Suffer! The battle ends and Golds sprite re-enters, however his eyes are completly red as if he is extreamly angry. The text opens up with "You shall suffer!" instead of "Gilver beat Trainer Gold". Is this my reward for winning? The battle fades out, leaving the screen black for a few seconds. After about 5 seconds of waiting, the screen reloads and I am back in Mahogany Town. This time, there is no music playing.

The sky apears to be a very light evening, but as I take one step it instently turns to night time, and the whole town seems to turn grey. I take a second step and the town becomes blinded by a dense fog. In the hope of having a Pokemon with Defog, I checked my Pokemon. I realised that my starters were missing, but instead I have the following Pokemon.

Level 13 Pidgeotto
Level 17 Scyther
Level 19 Miltank
Level 25 Gengar
Level 31 Poliwrath
Level 35 Steelix

It took me a while to notice that my team was made up of the first 6, Johto Gym leaders main Pokemon. Knowing Pidgeotto is a flying type, I checked its moves to see if it had Defog, and fortunatly it did! I selected Defog and the towns fog vanished. But instead of being in a grey Mahogany Town, I am standing inside the small grave yard in Lavender Town and I am standing at the doors entrence. Just like earlyer, no music is playing. I noticed their were 5 graves in the building. I checked the first one and it said "Here lies Leader Bugsy!". I went to read the next one, which was as expected, was Whitney. Then Morty, then Chuck, and then Jasmine. As I walked around the graves, I noticed Pryce and Clair were standing at the far end of the building.

I walk over to Pryce and he says "Suffer!", I then talk to Clair and her text apears with "...", and once again I am in a battle. The Team Rocket transmition theme begins to play yet again as the battle starts. This time, I am in a double battle against Pryce and Clair. Just like with Gold, Pryce and Clairs eyes are hollow voids and they apear completly motionless. Instead of saying something like "You are challenged by Leader Pryce and Leader Clair", it says "You can not escape this fate!". Right away I noticed this is the same text that apeared when I tryed to get rid of the saved data. Clair and Pryce each have one Pokemon, them both sending out a level 34 Piloswine and a level 41 Kingdra. However, their sprites are only black outlines with no colour. For some strange reason, I only have two Pokemon, which are two level 13 Pidgeottos. Note how they are both level 13, an aparent unlucky number which I apear to encounter all through this game!

The Pidgeotto that was first sent out only knows "Curse", with 13 PP. I expected the second Pidgeotto to have some kind of stupid move, but instead its whole set is taken up with 'attacks', all with 13 PP. The attacks apeared to spell out a small sentance, saying from left to right; "Prepare. For. Eturnal. Suffering". I tryed touching the attack options, but nothing will happen. I try moving the pointer with the D-pad, but the pointer stays stuck on "Suffering". With no other options, I hit the "Suffering" attack. Clairs Kindgra starts off by using Rain Dance, causing it to rain. Pryce then follows with Piloswine by using Earthquake. Ofcorse, this doesnt effect neither of my Pokemon since they are flying types, and Clairs Kindgra "Evades Earthquake with wonderguard". Now it was my turn. "Pidgeotto used Curse". There is a moment pause befor Pidgeottos cry screeches through the speakers, and then the text follows up with "Pidgeotto died". Now it was time for my second Pidgeotto. Instead of saying "Pidgeotto used Suffering", a different text window opened.

"Pidgeotto attacked Gilver". After that, there is another pause as my second Pidgeotto releases a loud screeching cry, and then falls with the text opening "Pidgeotto died".

After that the screen turned black and I was unable to do anything for atleast 10 seconds. After the 10 seoncd pause, a text pops up saying "Soul was forgotten". Soul? I was guessing it was talking about the rival, but why would he be forgotten? Suddenly, the games intro begins to play. Instead of the usual intro music, the Lavender Town theme plays, but it sounds distorted. Ho-oh doesnt fly up the screen, instead it goes to the rushing grass scene. The 'rushing grass' apears to move very slowly, and it is also completly grey. Finaly, the camera moves up to Gold and Lyra. Instead of their happy smiles, their mouths are gaped and their eyes are still blackened voids. The intro scene plays at a slow pace, in the colours of a greyish black and white. It finaly reaches the scene where it shows the rival. The sprite opens up and he doesnt apear to be smiling at all, instead hes increadibly sad looking. His eyes are black voids, except he has small red pupils in the middle of the voids. A text box apears under the sprite, saying the following.

"You shall pay for your actions!" and then the screen goes black yet again. After a much shorter loading scene of about 5 seconds, A small light glows around the overworld sprite of Falkner. The quiet music that plays inside the Unown ruins plays with its mysterous tinkling sound. I realised that this room was a dark room that required flash. I also noticed on the bottom screen that the only start menu options were "Gilver" (The profile) and Options. Befor starting to explore, I checked the Gilver profile. On the top screen it shows only the Johto Gym leaders, all with voids in their eyes except for the first one, Falkner. The lower screen shows that my Moneys number is 101, which looks to as if it is saying "lol", as if someone is laughing at me. His Pokedex number is now 13 and his 'score' isnt numbers, but instead says "Keep going!". The time played is still at 13:13 and I notice his "Adventure Started" is The 1st of January, 1999. 1999, the year when Gold and Silver was released in Japan. The "Touch to flip" option isnt there, but thats not what bothered me the most. Falkners sprite isnt smiling, instead is sprite is grey and has blood patches on his cloths.

I exit the menu when a text box opens up, saying "??? used The Enigma Stone". Without warning, a Latias cry is heared, except it sounds very distort. I am then thrown into a battle, and that 'perfect' back sprite of Falkner matches his sprite well. The Unown Ruin music keeps on playing as the battle starts. I am fighting Latias, but her sprite is like Falkners. Grey and with blood patches over her body. Her eyes are completly white and she doesnt apear to be smiling. The text reads "Suffering is nearing" instead of "Wild Latias apeared". Being that I was unable to check my Pokemon, I had no idea what I would send out. I waited anxiously for Falkner to send out a Pokemon, but he didnt. After a moments pause, the fight menu opened on the touch screen. I checked his move set to see what Falkner could do, but just like with the Pidgeotto it said "Prepare. For. Eturnal. Suffering" and the point is locked on the word Suffering. As guessed, Latias moves first.

"Latias used Mean Look". Instead of the usual dark coloured eye animation, its a large blood red eye that glares at Falkner. "Gilver is locked into the path of death" says the text. Remembering that with the Pidgeotto, it said they attacked Falkner, I was wondering what would happen this time. "Gilver used Nightmare". The battle scene turns a dark colour and the scene sways around as If I had used a Phsycic attack. Latias cry screetches through the speakers befor dropping off screen. I was amazed that I finaly won a battle... Or so I thought. Falkners sprite stays still for a moment, and no text apears to declair Latias' fainting. Falkners sprite then slowly fades away and the screen goes black, opening up a text box saying "Your suffering shall last eons". I noticed the irony in the pun, as Latias is the Eon Pokemon.

My Falkner sprite respawns in that graveyard in Lavender Town, except this time there is a 6th grave. I walk up to the grave and press A, but nothing happens. I must also mention that the Unown Ruin music hasnt stopped playing yet. I tryed to exit the graveyard, but I cant leave, and I cant seem to interact with anything. I went back to the 6th grave and without knowing, walked right into it. Instead of the usal bumping noise, Falkner walks right into the grave and the "stair" changing sound plays. I am back in that room where I encountered Latias, with the small area of light around me. The Unown Ruins theme changes back to the re-occoring Team Rocket transmition wave. I tryed walking North but I stayed in place as if walking into a wall, I tryed left and right and the same thing happened. I took one step south, and Falkner starts to walk on his own, except his limbs arent moving and he just apears to be floating.

After a slow treck south, I bump into a person, the rival! He was just like Falkners sprite, grey body and a few red marks over his grey body. Eager to know what would happen next, I hit the A button to talk with him. The rival turns to face me and that sound that is made when you speak to someone is heared, but no text box opens. The Team Rocket transmition music starts to go distort befor fading out, leaving it completly quiet. The screen then changes to that sprite of the rival in the intro scene, except instead of looking sad like befor, he apears to look very pshycopathic and creepy looking. Another text box apears saying "Soul used lock on", swiftly followed by the text "Gilvers soul was locked onto". The creepy sprite of the rival stays, and then slowly fades away to black. The screen has stayed black, and I'm unable to do anything. I've tryed restarting, but the game screen just stays black, but I think I guessed what the story was about.

Falkner was a lonely child, who had few friends. He soon managed to become a gym leader, but he was still increadibly weak. Falkner, over come with jealousy, stole from the other 5 Gym leaders and killed them to make himself look strong. Silver thought what Falkner did was really cool and hardcore, and tryed to side with him, but instead was whiped from existance. Upon returning home, he was met with Gold who wished to beat Falkner for what he did to all the people. However, Gold failed to beat Falkner, and instead sent him on a journy full of suffering for him to pay for his actions. After hunting around, Falkner was soon injured by his own Pokemon in a battle with Pryce and Clair. He was then met with the eon Pokemon, Latias, who cursed him with a cursed death that would last "Eons". And then, Falkner was dragged into the abyss by the one person who looked up to him. The rival!
http://vifkeaton.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2yjlf2

Last edited:
Here's one from the Tumblr, I don't think anyone's posted it yet:
Crystal Clear

Crystal Clear

I never imagined a person could actually complete a hack. I thought in time they’d get bored and scurry away to something else – another project that wouldn’t be finished. That’s how I was, so I figured everyone else was the same. That was until a friend and I discovered a hacked version of Gold. We were so mesmerized with it that we couldn’t stop playing until we were finished (which took about 9 hours with the speed button). We had just gotten into the ROM/hacking business and it was the first pokemon hack I had seen complete. The two of us looked at each other after the victory “…” message from Red and knew what the other was thinking.

We had to make one ourselves.

We had no idea where to go, though, and for awhile we were in a rut. We compiled everything we needed for hacking, and read every possible tutorial there was. It was exhausting, but it was fun.

For the first few months, all we did was goof around to get use to the programs. My partner wasn’t satisfied with the bullshit we were pulling, however, and wanted to get down to work. I couldn’t argue, I wanted to make a ROM that would circulate the web faster than fire would a forest. It was time to get started.

We played out the idea in our head. A pokemon game with the starter pokemon as the main character. It would start off with the pokemon’s story before it met the trainer, and continue playing even after the pokemon met the trainer. The game? Crystal. (It was both our favorites at the time) As complex as it sounded, we were both excited.

That was until both of us got the bad news. My friend was to move – not two or three blocks away, not even a few cities away, but rather across the country. From the great towers of New York city to the rainy state of Washington. It was hard on both of us, but with the promise to keep in touch, the only thing that seemed to shatter was the project.

I waited and waited and waited. It had been several months since my friend’s move, and there had been no contact. I gave up hope and deleted all the hacking programming from my database. I didn’t need it anymore, my friend had been the brain, and I had only been his creative lackey. Without him, I was a useless tool. Besides, I was starting my senior year in high school and didn’t need to bother with my summer dream anymore.

As I grew, I matured. Therefore, I found I wasn’t fit for an e-mail with the words cat and princess. I changed my internet address and soon, after I graduated, I changed my home address. I went into college that fall, computer programming as an ideal major – Who would have believed?

I started riffling through the internet world of hacking once again. I was vaguely intrigued by what I found, but a little more than depressed at the thought of what could have been. What had ever happened to our idea? Did my friend really go through with it? Had he ever even contacted me? Curiosity got the better of me and I flipped over to my old e-mail. After a few tries of guessing my password, I was allowed in and I cruised my inbox. On the bottom of the first page was an e-mail address I didn’t recognize. It was titled “Finished”. It had been sent a month before. I had to click on it, despite the fact my conscious was screaming, “Mal-ware attack off the port bow!”

Surprisingly, no virus was attached. Only a short bio and a GBA file. The e-mail read as followed:

“Sorry it took so long. I had to add my own special mix to the game. You know how I am. I made this for you. Now that it’s done I can get you out of my system. I don’t want to talk to you again. You’ll understand why. Have fun with the game. Don’t try to contact me and don’t share this with anyone else. Is that clear?”

My heart pounded and I felt tears curl in my eyes. He had been my best friend and despite the fact we had been away for longer than a year now, I still missed his company. Too upset to look at the ROM at the moment, I set it aside and went out to ease my mind. It wasn’t until I came back several hours later that I realized my mistake.

My roommate, though she is a little angel, can be a real pig. She has no boundary lines and therefore finds everything to be hers. This included my laptop and what was on it.

I had left the e-mail open, and the ROM waiting to be played. My roommate had also wanted to go into video game programming, before she dropped out of course. She knew what a ROM was and knew exactly how to play it. She knew how to hack – better than I ever could, and was always looking for the next best thing. Unfortunately, she had found the opposite.

In the corner of our room, she laid quietly, tears running down her face. The laptop still sat on my bed, this time with the ROM open and running. It was blinking from red to black in quick succession. Wondering if this had caused a seizure, I zipped over to her, careful to not surprise her in any way. I asked what had happened, but all the left her mouth was several dramatic cries and screams.

I figured this had nothing to do with the game anymore. Her boyfriend had probably called her and broken up with her for the umpteenth time. With a sigh, I set up her ideal comfort zone. A couch lined with pillows and blankets, the remaining chocolate ice cream on the coffee table, and her favorite childhood movie – Fox and the Hound. She nestled in quite nicely, and quite quietly, leaving me to do as I pleased.

Seeing as how the ROM was already opened, I padded back to my room to play. The screen was no longer blinking, it just sat, black, with words slowly appearing and disappearing. With no desire to ruin the game play, I attempted to close the window. Exiting was not an option. The screen stopped what it was doing and flashed to white, a cute little totodile sliding into view. The totodile itself looked heartbroken. “Please don’t leave me,” the screen read. This was followed by a yes or no. Upon the attempt at hitting the no, it only went back to the first screen of “Please don’t leave me.”

I grimaced. I had to leave if I wanted to start a new game. I completed a hard shut down and reboot on my computer. Reopening the ROM, I was allowed to see the starting sequence for the first time. Having read about so many hacks before, I was keen to every detail intertwined within the game. The start-up was typically the same, except for the end. The unknown message spelt “Move Out” instead of “Pokemon” Clever, I thought to myself.

I was then led to the basic screen where it asked if I would like to continue or start a new game. Clicking on a new game led me to a similar introduction of the game. However, Professor Oak was replaced with a suicune. Suicune elaborated on how pokemon came into existence and how “we” were used as weapons by trainers. Not all trainers are bad, it reminded me.

From there I was asked if I was a boy or a girl. I claimed a girl and proceeded. It then wanted to determine what I was. This seemed to take the place of naming yourself in the original game. Instead of having the options of names, I was given a list of starter pokemon. “Chikorita; Cyndaquil; Totodile; More” Curious to see what more was, I clicked and was led to another list. “Bulbasaur, Charmander; Back” I guess he had never decided to program in Squirtle. Without empathy for the blue turtle, I went back and chose Cyndaquil, my favorite pokemon of all time. (I still wonder what would happen if I had chosen Bulbasaur or Charmander…)

The game immediately started you in New Bark town. My avatar was that of a beast pokemon, as custom out-of-the-ball avatars weren’t made until the Hoenn region. (And I’m guessing my friend was too lazy to design custom ones himself) But it moved well none the less.

When you pressed start you were only able to look at your “POKEMON” “SAVE” or go to “OPTIONS” I looked at myself. I was only a pathetic level 2. I needed to train. However, I wanted to explore first. My attempt came to a sad failure when I realized all the doors were locked. Humans could be stalkers, but pokemon can’t even peep through windows! (Speaking of peeping through windows, I noticed Silver wasn’t there) Hoping the rest of the game wouldn’t be this bad, I journeyed out into the grasslands.

Before I was allowed to enter, a sprite of a bird pokemon hoped over, asking me what the time was. I checked my watch and responded appropriately. “It’s that late already!” He shouted. “I overslept!” (Similar to what Gold/Crystal says in the beginning of the original games) His avatar then fluttered away on a gust of invisible wind.

Now with the time set, I strolled into the grass. The first pokemon I ran into was a sentret. My options were “FIGHT; TALK; SWITCH; RUN” The talk took over in place of the bag. Intrigued by the talk command, I hit it. My character said nothing, at least, nothing I could see. The sentret’s response was “Get out of my territory.”

It then proceeded to use tackle on me which dropped me by three quarters of my health. Fearing the worst and having no idea on how to heal myself, I ran from battle and went back to town. At the water’s edge (near Crystal’s house) was a beast avatar which I assumed was Suicune. I talked to it and its response was “It’s okay little one. I’ll take care of you.” It flashed white and played the healing music. I was healed.

Travelling back into the grass I managed to reach level 5. I was unable to gain experience after this. Disappointed, I headed off to Cherrygrove, wondering what the heck I had to do. Before I could reach the border, professor elm came running up and initiated a battle. (Similar to Gold vs Silver battle) Professor elm sent out a totodile (Of course) and shot me down to the red. He then threw a pokeball at me. My avatar screamed “NO!” and a high pitched piercing noise left the computer. The screen went black.

White words slowly appeared on the black screen. “My family… My friends… I’ll never be able to see them again…” The words faded and were replaced with a yes or no option. Yes or no what? I clicked yes.

To my astonishment, the screen proceeded to flash black and white and a piercing yelp tore through the room. As the scream finished, I was left with my cyndaquil on a white background. It shook its head and faded into the background. The sprite was then replaced with Silver – the redheaded character who is always staring into the window of the lab. Words appeared on the screen. “Family is useless. Let’s go.”

I suddenly had a longing to call my mother.

The screen faded out to Silver on Route 29. I was now able to move his sprite instead of my cyndaquil’s. (I suppose the yes or no decided if you received Silver or Gold as a trainer) I checked my pack. I had everything a trainer would have, including a pokegear. I had two phone numbers in there. 911 (Am I going to need a hospital?) and PSA. Having no idea what either one of them would do, I dialed up 911 first. The screen blinked white and the healing music played. Automatic healing center? Win!

Then came PSA. I dialed it and for a few seconds there was nothing. The game was mute. As soon as I started to settle in the silence however, an alarming high-pitched static blared through and I mashed the b button to end the call. I guess it was a “We’ll call you, you don’t call us” kind of number.

There weren’t many differences for awhile after that. When I went into pokemon battles there was never a RUN option anymore. This time, Run was replaced with Talk. However, talking usually got me nowhere. The pokemon would either respond with “…” “Intruder!” “Die…” or “Please don’t hurt me…”

When I received pokemon later, and switched during battle, I discovered that the screen would glitch again (it’d have a red screen for a moment) and switch out to the next pokemon. The TALK command would disappear, and in its place, a normal RUN command was configured.

After every attack Cyndaquil did, whether it damaged the opponent or not, Cyndaquil would go, “I’m sorry!!!” It was only with Cyndaquil that this happened. I was allowed to catch other pokemon and gained a caterpie (evolved to a butterfree), mareep (evolved to an ampharos), wooper (used as a surf slave) lapras (I was never asked the day, so is it always Friday in this world?) eevee (evolved to an umbreon) and stantler through my travels. Seeing as how I was unable to name Cyndaquil or its evolutions (The name rater seemed to think it already had a nice name) I decided not to nickname anyone else either.

As Cyndaquil matured it grew colder. Upon evolving to Quilava it would no longer apologize after ever move, only after the battle, if I hadn’t captured the pokemon. Quilava would talk to no one so the response I received after the “TALK” command was always “…”. The evolution to Typhlosion was most frightening however.

The first thing I noticed was its avatar. The large typhlosion had scarlet, pupil-less eyes. Had I created a monster unintentionally? Quickly after this realization I initiated a battle against a stantler. I went to the talk command and my typhlosion finally had a conversation with it. “All pokemon will perish.” To which the stantler replies (in format; WILD POKEMON STANTLER: or TYPHLOSION:) “Kill me and you will never find out where your mother is.”

I was shocked. We hadn’t discussed my starter’s family since the very beginning of the game! (The fact that the pokemon could talk was something I had long since established and was no longer mystified by the feature)

In that battle, I was unable to trigger any “FIGHT” commands with Typhlosion (He must have been in shock, poor thing) so I swapped out with my Butterfree and ran.

As the battle faded Typhlosion’s sprite appeared on the screen (it looked close to a typhlosion anyway – It wasn’t a beast sprite) White words the black background appeared. “She is really alive… Let me go see mother. Let us go see mother!” I was desperately hoping a yes or no option box would appear, but to my disappointment (and probably Typhlosion’s) the screen only faded back to the route I was on.

Typhlosion refused to fight in anymore wild battles, however, when I challenged Morty the Ekrutek gym leader, my butterfree was first in my party, but Typhlosion appeared. I still couldn’t fight with it, so I tried switching out. Also negative. My only options left were bag or talk. I proceeded to converse.

TYPHLOSION: Where is my mother?

GASTLY: …

TYPHLOSION: You know where she is. Tell me.

The conversation abruptly ended and Gastly used curse. Typhlosion’s response was “!!!”

Again, I tried to switch out. This time I was allowed and quickly sent out my Umbreon to finish the battle. At the end, I was awarded a badge, a TM and prize money – the regular winnings. However, as I tried to walk away, typhlosion’s sprite appeared before Morty.

TYPHLOSION: GIVE ME MY MOTHER.

Typhlosion then proceeded to tackle the leader. Upon contact, the leader disappeared. Had… I killed him? The screen began flashing red and a siren played. Ghost sprites began to appear around me. I ran out only to get a call from PSA. Something I had been waiting for since the beginning of the game.

“You deceived us. You acted before a call. You shall meet your execution.”

My heart thumped as the screen flashed red and black. A scream echoed from down the hall and made me jump. For a moment, tears threatened to explode. I eventually calmed down and told myself my roommate had put on a scary movie after calming down with her Disney classics. It wasn’t her scream, I knew that one well. With a deep breath, I looked back at the flashing red and black screen. This is probably where my roommate had lost it.

I tried to close to see if it would mimic what it had done before. (I had saved before the Gym, I wasn’t that scared of losing a few minutes of data) A cyndaquil appeared on the screen. However, instead of asking me not to leave he commands me to “Find Mother.” I press A and I’m brought back to Ekrutek City, right outside the Gym. Nothing out of the usual. I went to the pokemon center and healed my pokemon and then out towards Olivine City.

Before I made it to the City, or even the MooMoo Milk House, I was confronted by a crap load of team rocket grunts. They stood in three rows, blocking my way from continuing. There were too many to battle! What was I suppose to do?

I ducked out and headed towards Mahogany. Maybe it’d be different. Not different at all. More Grunts. I decided to talk to one of them. Maybe they didn’t want to battle.

Maybe rattatas could fly.

There were no words. I was automatically sent into battle, and was horrified at what I saw. The grunt sent out a tyranitar at level 99. The sprite had eyes like my Typhlosion.

It was simple to understand that I lost the battle. Very quickly I might add. The screen was a regular white-out screen. “Silver is out of usable pokemon. Silver whited out!” Instead of being sent back to the pokemon center though, the screen fades black and Typhlosion appears.

“I am going to find mother,” He says. And then fades.

I can’t control anything for a few seconds. It’s just a delayed black screen. Some fail programming on my ex-friend’s fault I guess. When it comes back though, my sprite is of a beast sprite. I check my pokemon. Nothing except typhlosion in my pack.

There are still grunts on both sides of ekrutek, but as a typhlosion, they don’t bother me. Of course, without surf, I can’t go much farther. I back track and think.

A battle initiates as I begin walking back to Goldenrod. I still can’t fight, and the run option isn’t there. I had a feeling this was going to be the end of the game. I couldn’t go anywhere right? Wrong. I tried the talk option.

TYPHLOSION: Show me my mother.

PIDGEY: Come back when you’re nicer.

TYPHLOSION: SHOW ME MY MOTHER.

I am not allowed to use the talk option anymore, but fight is once again open for business. I burn the bird to a crisp and walk out. I have to come back when I’m nicer? How do I become nice?

I thought of the haircutters in Goldenrod. Hoping it was worth a shot, I traveled back, happy that I had the ability to kill wild pokemon again.

Back in Goldenrod, I get a quick touch up to my fur. With a clean pelt, and a happy salesman (I enjoyed the fact he didn’t question a typhlosion paying him) I padded back into the grass. A battle initiated with a ditto. Of course, I talked to it. Typhlosion lacked any words, so I assumed it was done yelling. Ditto told me to return home quickly. I figured he meant New Bark Town so I headed back quickly.

Once in newbark town, I had to gasp in surprise. The regular houses, including Gold’s home, had completely disappeared. The only thing to remain was a lab, which had poorly animated fire blazing on top of it. With nowhere else to go, I courageously go and explore the burning lab.

The aids seemed to have escaped, but professor elm was running back and forth at the top stupidly. I entered his path, and pressed A to talk to him when he ran into me. He declared, “All hope is lost! Kill me now!”

I knew my ex-friend enjoyed gore and violence, but this was just going over the top. It was no longer about a poor cyndaquil’s search for a home; it was now about death and destruction. If this is what he meant but his own little touch, he was sick.

I didn’t get an option of yes or no and once I got out of his path he continued running like a maniac.

I remembered how in the beginning, Suicune was at the lake to heal me. Maybe if I confronted the blue dog again, it’d help stop the rambunctious fire. I scurried out. At the lake, there was no Suicune in sight. There was, however, a swirling black whirlpool.

Since I wasn’t a water pokemon, I couldn’t surf out to it. Puzzled, I just walked around the town to see if anything else had changed. As I began to leave the town the lab’s fire caused an explosion which was followed by another ear shattering noise. It left the screen white.

With ringing ears, I looked around. Silence. Pure white silence. I jammed on the keys to make something happen.

The screen finally faded back to an overworld shot. It consisted of a blank landscape (concrete ground) and a single grave in the middle. Typhlosion was there, but I couldn’t control his sprite. He sat for awhile and finally ventured over to the grave site. A small ghost faded into the picture, in front of the grave.

Typhlosion’s last words are “Mother, I’m home.”

The mother drifts over to her son and replies “We’ll have more joining us soon.”

I shiver as the screen fades black for the last time. I thought that was the end of the game, so I begin to click [x]. Before I complete the action however, small white letters in unknown coding appear.

“We have taken another one.”

My roommate came in just then, pale, and tears running down her face. There was a phone in her hand and she was shaking. “Casey, can you drive me to the hospital? My mom was in a car accident this afternoon and I want to make sure she’s okay.”

My face went pale. I’ve been writing this shortly after my return. My roommate’s mother had died. Rest in peace Mother Sarah.

It was a story that needed to be told. (Though it was several hours after the initial play time. Not all dialogue may be exactly correct, but I believe I’ve gotten close to what it was) I’ve been trying to force myself to believe several things, but none seem to be working. I’m filing under crazy and locking the door – just in case.

The final thing to do is to delete the e-mail. My hands hit the keys but my fingers are frozen.

“Sorry it took so long. I had to add my own special mix to the game. You know how I am. I made this for you. Now that it’s done I can get you out of my system. I don’t want to talk to you again. You’ll understand why. Don’t try to contact me and don’t share this with anyone else. Is that clear?”

I close my eyes, take a deep breath and type a response. “Crystal.”

~Mañana

Crystal Clear

Crystal Clear

I never imagined a person could actually complete a hack. I thought in time they’d get bored and scurry away to something else – another project that wouldn’t be finished. That’s how I was, so I figured everyone else was the same. That was until a friend and I discovered a hacked version of Gold. We were so mesmerized with it that we couldn’t stop playing until we were finished (which took about 9 hours with the speed button). We had just gotten into the ROM/hacking business and it was the first pokemon hack I had seen complete. The two of us looked at each other after the victory “…” message from Red and knew what the other was thinking.

We had to make one ourselves.

We had no idea where to go, though, and for awhile we were in a rut. We compiled everything we needed for hacking, and read every possible tutorial there was. It was exhausting, but it was fun.

For the first few months, all we did was goof around to get use to the programs. My partner wasn’t satisfied with the bullshit we were pulling, however, and wanted to get down to work. I couldn’t argue, I wanted to make a ROM that would circulate the web faster than fire would a forest. It was time to get started.

We played out the idea in our head. A pokemon game with the starter pokemon as the main character. It would start off with the pokemon’s story before it met the trainer, and continue playing even after the pokemon met the trainer. The game? Crystal. (It was both our favorites at the time) As complex as it sounded, we were both excited.

That was until both of us got the bad news. My friend was to move – not two or three blocks away, not even a few cities away, but rather across the country. From the great towers of New York city to the rainy state of Washington. It was hard on both of us, but with the promise to keep in touch, the only thing that seemed to shatter was the project.

I waited and waited and waited. It had been several months since my friend’s move, and there had been no contact. I gave up hope and deleted all the hacking programming from my database. I didn’t need it anymore, my friend had been the brain, and I had only been his creative lackey. Without him, I was a useless tool. Besides, I was starting my senior year in high school and didn’t need to bother with my summer dream anymore.

As I grew, I matured. Therefore, I found I wasn’t fit for an e-mail with the words cat and princess. I changed my internet address and soon, after I graduated, I changed my home address. I went into college that fall, computer programming as an ideal major – Who would have believed?

I started riffling through the internet world of hacking once again. I was vaguely intrigued by what I found, but a little more than depressed at the thought of what could have been. What had ever happened to our idea? Did my friend really go through with it? Had he ever even contacted me? Curiosity got the better of me and I flipped over to my old e-mail. After a few tries of guessing my password, I was allowed in and I cruised my inbox. On the bottom of the first page was an e-mail address I didn’t recognize. It was titled “Finished”. It had been sent a month before. I had to click on it, despite the fact my conscious was screaming, “Mal-ware attack off the port bow!”

Surprisingly, no virus was attached. Only a short bio and a GBA file. The e-mail read as followed:

“Sorry it took so long. I had to add my own special mix to the game. You know how I am. I made this for you. Now that it’s done I can get you out of my system. I don’t want to talk to you again. You’ll understand why. Have fun with the game. Don’t try to contact me and don’t share this with anyone else. Is that clear?”

My heart pounded and I felt tears curl in my eyes. He had been my best friend and despite the fact we had been away for longer than a year now, I still missed his company. Too upset to look at the ROM at the moment, I set it aside and went out to ease my mind. It wasn’t until I came back several hours later that I realized my mistake.

My roommate, though she is a little angel, can be a real pig. She has no boundary lines and therefore finds everything to be hers. This included my laptop and what was on it.

I had left the e-mail open, and the ROM waiting to be played. My roommate had also wanted to go into video game programming, before she dropped out of course. She knew what a ROM was and knew exactly how to play it. She knew how to hack – better than I ever could, and was always looking for the next best thing. Unfortunately, she had found the opposite.

In the corner of our room, she laid quietly, tears running down her face. The laptop still sat on my bed, this time with the ROM open and running. It was blinking from red to black in quick succession. Wondering if this had caused a seizure, I zipped over to her, careful to not surprise her in any way. I asked what had happened, but all the left her mouth was several dramatic cries and screams.

I figured this had nothing to do with the game anymore. Her boyfriend had probably called her and broken up with her for the umpteenth time. With a sigh, I set up her ideal comfort zone. A couch lined with pillows and blankets, the remaining chocolate ice cream on the coffee table, and her favorite childhood movie – Fox and the Hound. She nestled in quite nicely, and quite quietly, leaving me to do as I pleased.

Seeing as how the ROM was already opened, I padded back to my room to play. The screen was no longer blinking, it just sat, black, with words slowly appearing and disappearing. With no desire to ruin the game play, I attempted to close the window. Exiting was not an option. The screen stopped what it was doing and flashed to white, a cute little totodile sliding into view. The totodile itself looked heartbroken. “Please don’t leave me,” the screen read. This was followed by a yes or no. Upon the attempt at hitting the no, it only went back to the first screen of “Please don’t leave me.”

I grimaced. I had to leave if I wanted to start a new game. I completed a hard shut down and reboot on my computer. Reopening the ROM, I was allowed to see the starting sequence for the first time. Having read about so many hacks before, I was keen to every detail intertwined within the game. The start-up was typically the same, except for the end. The unknown message spelt “Move Out” instead of “Pokemon” Clever, I thought to myself.

I was then led to the basic screen where it asked if I would like to continue or start a new game. Clicking on a new game led me to a similar introduction of the game. However, Professor Oak was replaced with a suicune. Suicune elaborated on how pokemon came into existence and how “we” were used as weapons by trainers. Not all trainers are bad, it reminded me.

From there I was asked if I was a boy or a girl. I claimed a girl and proceeded. It then wanted to determine what I was. This seemed to take the place of naming yourself in the original game. Instead of having the options of names, I was given a list of starter pokemon. “Chikorita; Cyndaquil; Totodile; More” Curious to see what more was, I clicked and was led to another list. “Bulbasaur, Charmander; Back” I guess he had never decided to program in Squirtle. Without empathy for the blue turtle, I went back and chose Cyndaquil, my favorite pokemon of all time. (I still wonder what would happen if I had chosen Bulbasaur or Charmander…)

The game immediately started you in New Bark town. My avatar was that of a beast pokemon, as custom out-of-the-ball avatars weren’t made until the Hoenn region. (And I’m guessing my friend was too lazy to design custom ones himself) But it moved well none the less.

When you pressed start you were only able to look at your “POKEMON” “SAVE” or go to “OPTIONS” I looked at myself. I was only a pathetic level 2. I needed to train. However, I wanted to explore first. My attempt came to a sad failure when I realized all the doors were locked. Humans could be stalkers, but pokemon can’t even peep through windows! (Speaking of peeping through windows, I noticed Silver wasn’t there) Hoping the rest of the game wouldn’t be this bad, I journeyed out into the grasslands.

Before I was allowed to enter, a sprite of a bird pokemon hoped over, asking me what the time was. I checked my watch and responded appropriately. “It’s that late already!” He shouted. “I overslept!” (Similar to what Gold/Crystal says in the beginning of the original games) His avatar then fluttered away on a gust of invisible wind.

Now with the time set, I strolled into the grass. The first pokemon I ran into was a sentret. My options were “FIGHT; TALK; SWITCH; RUN” The talk took over in place of the bag. Intrigued by the talk command, I hit it. My character said nothing, at least, nothing I could see. The sentret’s response was “Get out of my territory.”

It then proceeded to use tackle on me which dropped me by three quarters of my health. Fearing the worst and having no idea on how to heal myself, I ran from battle and went back to town. At the water’s edge (near Crystal’s house) was a beast avatar which I assumed was Suicune. I talked to it and its response was “It’s okay little one. I’ll take care of you.” It flashed white and played the healing music. I was healed.

Travelling back into the grass I managed to reach level 5. I was unable to gain experience after this. Disappointed, I headed off to Cherrygrove, wondering what the heck I had to do. Before I could reach the border, professor elm came running up and initiated a battle. (Similar to Gold vs Silver battle) Professor elm sent out a totodile (Of course) and shot me down to the red. He then threw a pokeball at me. My avatar screamed “NO!” and a high pitched piercing noise left the computer. The screen went black.

White words slowly appeared on the black screen. “My family… My friends… I’ll never be able to see them again…” The words faded and were replaced with a yes or no option. Yes or no what? I clicked yes.

To my astonishment, the screen proceeded to flash black and white and a piercing yelp tore through the room. As the scream finished, I was left with my cyndaquil on a white background. It shook its head and faded into the background. The sprite was then replaced with Silver – the redheaded character who is always staring into the window of the lab. Words appeared on the screen. “Family is useless. Let’s go.”

I suddenly had a longing to call my mother.

The screen faded out to Silver on Route 29. I was now able to move his sprite instead of my cyndaquil’s. (I suppose the yes or no decided if you received Silver or Gold as a trainer) I checked my pack. I had everything a trainer would have, including a pokegear. I had two phone numbers in there. 911 (Am I going to need a hospital?) and PSA. Having no idea what either one of them would do, I dialed up 911 first. The screen blinked white and the healing music played. Automatic healing center? Win!

Then came PSA. I dialed it and for a few seconds there was nothing. The game was mute. As soon as I started to settle in the silence however, an alarming high-pitched static blared through and I mashed the b button to end the call. I guess it was a “We’ll call you, you don’t call us” kind of number.

There weren’t many differences for awhile after that. When I went into pokemon battles there was never a RUN option anymore. This time, Run was replaced with Talk. However, talking usually got me nowhere. The pokemon would either respond with “…” “Intruder!” “Die…” or “Please don’t hurt me…”

When I received pokemon later, and switched during battle, I discovered that the screen would glitch again (it’d have a red screen for a moment) and switch out to the next pokemon. The TALK command would disappear, and in its place, a normal RUN command was configured.

After every attack Cyndaquil did, whether it damaged the opponent or not, Cyndaquil would go, “I’m sorry!!!” It was only with Cyndaquil that this happened. I was allowed to catch other pokemon and gained a caterpie (evolved to a butterfree), mareep (evolved to an ampharos), wooper (used as a surf slave) lapras (I was never asked the day, so is it always Friday in this world?) eevee (evolved to an umbreon) and stantler through my travels. Seeing as how I was unable to name Cyndaquil or its evolutions (The name rater seemed to think it already had a nice name) I decided not to nickname anyone else either.

As Cyndaquil matured it grew colder. Upon evolving to Quilava it would no longer apologize after ever move, only after the battle, if I hadn’t captured the pokemon. Quilava would talk to no one so the response I received after the “TALK” command was always “…”. The evolution to Typhlosion was most frightening however.

The first thing I noticed was its avatar. The large typhlosion had scarlet, pupil-less eyes. Had I created a monster unintentionally? Quickly after this realization I initiated a battle against a stantler. I went to the talk command and my typhlosion finally had a conversation with it. “All pokemon will perish.” To which the stantler replies (in format; WILD POKEMON STANTLER: or TYPHLOSION:) “Kill me and you will never find out where your mother is.”

I was shocked. We hadn’t discussed my starter’s family since the very beginning of the game! (The fact that the pokemon could talk was something I had long since established and was no longer mystified by the feature)

In that battle, I was unable to trigger any “FIGHT” commands with Typhlosion (He must have been in shock, poor thing) so I swapped out with my Butterfree and ran.

As the battle faded Typhlosion’s sprite appeared on the screen (it looked close to a typhlosion anyway – It wasn’t a beast sprite) White words the black background appeared. “She is really alive… Let me go see mother. Let us go see mother!” I was desperately hoping a yes or no option box would appear, but to my disappointment (and probably Typhlosion’s) the screen only faded back to the route I was on.

Typhlosion refused to fight in anymore wild battles, however, when I challenged Morty the Ekrutek gym leader, my butterfree was first in my party, but Typhlosion appeared. I still couldn’t fight with it, so I tried switching out. Also negative. My only options left were bag or talk. I proceeded to converse.

TYPHLOSION: Where is my mother?

TYPHLOSION: You know where she is. Tell me.

The conversation abruptly ended and Gastly used curse. Typhlosion’s response was “!!!”

Again, I tried to switch out. This time I was allowed and quickly sent out my Umbreon to finish the battle. At the end, I was awarded a badge, a TM and prize money – the regular winnings. However, as I tried to walk away, typhlosion’s sprite appeared before Morty.

TYPHLOSION: GIVE ME MY MOTHER.

Typhlosion then proceeded to tackle the leader. Upon contact, the leader disappeared. Had… I killed him? The screen began flashing red and a siren played. Ghost sprites began to appear around me. I ran out only to get a call from PSA. Something I had been waiting for since the beginning of the game.

“You deceived us. You acted before a call. You shall meet your execution.”

My heart thumped as the screen flashed red and black. A scream echoed from down the hall and made me jump. For a moment, tears threatened to explode. I eventually calmed down and told myself my roommate had put on a scary movie after calming down with her Disney classics. It wasn’t her scream, I knew that one well. With a deep breath, I looked back at the flashing red and black screen. This is probably where my roommate had lost it.

I tried to close to see if it would mimic what it had done before. (I had saved before the Gym, I wasn’t that scared of losing a few minutes of data) A cyndaquil appeared on the screen. However, instead of asking me not to leave he commands me to “Find Mother.” I press A and I’m brought back to Ekrutek City, right outside the Gym. Nothing out of the usual. I went to the pokemon center and healed my pokemon and then out towards Olivine City.

Before I made it to the City, or even the MooMoo Milk House, I was confronted by a crap load of team rocket grunts. They stood in three rows, blocking my way from continuing. There were too many to battle! What was I suppose to do?

I ducked out and headed towards Mahogany. Maybe it’d be different. Not different at all. More Grunts. I decided to talk to one of them. Maybe they didn’t want to battle.

Maybe rattatas could fly.

There were no words. I was automatically sent into battle, and was horrified at what I saw. The grunt sent out a tyranitar at level 99. The sprite had eyes like my Typhlosion.

It was simple to understand that I lost the battle. Very quickly I might add. The screen was a regular white-out screen. “Silver is out of usable pokemon. Silver whited out!” Instead of being sent back to the pokemon center though, the screen fades black and Typhlosion appears.

“I am going to find mother,” He says. And then fades.

I can’t control anything for a few seconds. It’s just a delayed black screen. Some fail programming on my ex-friend’s fault I guess. When it comes back though, my sprite is of a beast sprite. I check my pokemon. Nothing except typhlosion in my pack.

There are still grunts on both sides of ekrutek, but as a typhlosion, they don’t bother me. Of course, without surf, I can’t go much farther. I back track and think.

A battle initiates as I begin walking back to Goldenrod. I still can’t fight, and the run option isn’t there. I had a feeling this was going to be the end of the game. I couldn’t go anywhere right? Wrong. I tried the talk option.

TYPHLOSION: Show me my mother.

PIDGEY: Come back when you’re nicer.

TYPHLOSION: SHOW ME MY MOTHER.

I am not allowed to use the talk option anymore, but fight is once again open for business. I burn the bird to a crisp and walk out. I have to come back when I’m nicer? How do I become nice?

I thought of the haircutters in Goldenrod. Hoping it was worth a shot, I traveled back, happy that I had the ability to kill wild pokemon again.

Back in Goldenrod, I get a quick touch up to my fur. With a clean pelt, and a happy salesman (I enjoyed the fact he didn’t question a typhlosion paying him) I padded back into the grass. A battle initiated with a ditto. Of course, I talked to it. Typhlosion lacked any words, so I assumed it was done yelling. Ditto told me to return home quickly. I figured he meant New Bark Town so I headed back quickly.

Once in newbark town, I had to gasp in surprise. The regular houses, including Gold’s home, had completely disappeared. The only thing to remain was a lab, which had poorly animated fire blazing on top of it. With nowhere else to go, I courageously go and explore the burning lab.

The aids seemed to have escaped, but professor elm was running back and forth at the top stupidly. I entered his path, and pressed A to talk to him when he ran into me. He declared, “All hope is lost! Kill me now!”

I knew my ex-friend enjoyed gore and violence, but this was just going over the top. It was no longer about a poor cyndaquil’s search for a home; it was now about death and destruction. If this is what he meant but his own little touch, he was sick.

I didn’t get an option of yes or no and once I got out of his path he continued running like a maniac.

I remembered how in the beginning, Suicune was at the lake to heal me. Maybe if I confronted the blue dog again, it’d help stop the rambunctious fire. I scurried out. At the lake, there was no Suicune in sight. There was, however, a swirling black whirlpool.

Since I wasn’t a water pokemon, I couldn’t surf out to it. Puzzled, I just walked around the town to see if anything else had changed. As I began to leave the town the lab’s fire caused an explosion which was followed by another ear shattering noise. It left the screen white.

With ringing ears, I looked around. Silence. Pure white silence. I jammed on the keys to make something happen.

The screen finally faded back to an overworld shot. It consisted of a blank landscape (concrete ground) and a single grave in the middle. Typhlosion was there, but I couldn’t control his sprite. He sat for awhile and finally ventured over to the grave site. A small ghost faded into the picture, in front of the grave.

Typhlosion’s last words are “Mother, I’m home.”

The mother drifts over to her son and replies “We’ll have more joining us soon.”

I shiver as the screen fades black for the last time. I thought that was the end of the game, so I begin to click [x]. Before I complete the action however, small white letters in unknown coding appear.

“We have taken another one.”

My roommate came in just then, pale, and tears running down her face. There was a phone in her hand and she was shaking. “Casey, can you drive me to the hospital? My mom was in a car accident this afternoon and I want to make sure she’s okay.”

My face went pale. I’ve been writing this shortly after my return. My roommate’s mother had died. Rest in peace Mother Sarah.

It was a story that needed to be told. (Though it was several hours after the initial play time. Not all dialogue may be exactly correct, but I believe I’ve gotten close to what it was) I’ve been trying to force myself to believe several things, but none seem to be working. I’m filing under crazy and locking the door – just in case.

The final thing to do is to delete the e-mail. My hands hit the keys but my fingers are frozen.

“Sorry it took so long. I had to add my own special mix to the game. You know how I am. I made this for you. Now that it’s done I can get you out of my system. I don’t want to talk to you again. You’ll understand why. Don’t try to contact me and don’t share this with anyone else. Is that clear?”

I close my eyes, take a deep breath and type a response. “Crystal.”

~Mañana

That was a really good one. So was "Don't Look".

Crystal Clear

Weird, I completely missed that one. :S

You know what's weird? My shiny gastly's OT is ???

And this thread claims another lurker.

Figure I'll post the latest thing I did myself since I was beaten to it last time. :p

Now, hopefully I'm doing this right. 8D

Purgatory
Ever heard the stories about Houndoom? The ones that say if it burns you, the pain will never go away?

Nonsense, right? Just another old story from a more superstitious age.

I thought so too.

I still couldn't tell you what it was even doing there, in the fields south of Violet City. I also couldn't tell you what I was thinking when I dashed out to protect my little Hoppip.

All I knew was there it was, creeping up behind my dear pokémon, ready to pounce.
Why didn't I just call Hoppip back? I mean, they built pokéballs with that function for a reason, right? Believe me, I asked myself the same question even as I found myself diving to the floor, cradling it in my arms.

For a brief moment, it seemed as though, miraculously, we had both evaded its attack. Then the pain hit. If you've ever been burned, and you think you can imagine how it felt, think again. I've never experienced anything close to the pain that ripped through me.

For some reason, rather than finishing us off, the Houndoom fled. Perhaps, knowing what awaited me, it was satisfied.

- - -

Somehow, I staggered back to town before the pain overcame me completely. What followed I do not know, but when I awoke again, I found myself surrounded by my family.

A doctor assured me that they had treated the burn. That the pain would soon pass. What did they know? They had no idea. I'd set off from New Bark town with Cyndaquil by my side. I'd been careful, of course, but I'd been burned a couple of times since then. I knew what a normal burn felt like, and there was nothing normal about this. The mark upon my arm may already be fading, but the pain is as strong as it was the moment that flame washed over my skin.

- - -

It's a struggle to speak. Barely able to move, Scarcely able to think.
I've given Quilava back to Elm, I can't stand the sight of it anymore.
I know I shouldn't, know it's not to blame; it's not what burned me.
But I hate it. I really hate it.

I've let the others go, found a nice secluded spot. They know how to battle, and they should be okay. There's no way I could continue my journey in this state, my dream of being a trainer is over now. How could I possibly battle while dealing with this constant pain?

How can I live like this?
I can't live like this.

Can't go on like this.

- - -

I'm dead now.

But, I'm still burning.

I'M STILL BURNING.

Purgatory.jpg

And for good measure, here's the header to Don't Look, as well. [Although I guess if anyone followed the link back they'll have seen it already.]
dont-look-web-preview2.gif

Why is Shanderaa in the Purgatory story, though?

Why is Shanderaa in the Purgatory story, though?

I was going for the implication that people burned by Houndoom would end up as Hitomoshi or suchlike once they died. Maybe it's a bit too tenuous a connection though.

New stuff from the Tumblr:

Life Force

The pair had been rivals since that fateful encounter at the Professor’s lab about two years ago. At that time, they had just been very small; their first evolutions: Charmander and Squirtle. But not today. Today, it was just the pair of them, all grown up as Charizard and Blastoise.
They had fought each other countless times in the past upon their trainer’s wishes, but something seemed different about today. Something more…serious than usual.
The two girls, who had at one point been best friends, despite being rivals, were now staring each other down bitterly, as if they wanted nothing more than to run to their friend and claw their throat out.

“Inferno, use Dragon Rage.” The trainer demanded of her Charizard. From across the stadium, her rival issued a command to Blastoise. Hydro Pump.
The attacks flew recklessly as the two Pokemon desperately tried to dodge their friend’s attacks.

Why were their trainers doing this to them? Weren’t they friends?

“Send them to hell, Blastoise!” The trainer hissed. “Aim for the tail.”
Blastoise stood still, looking back at his trainer, as if he needed confirmation that she was truly giving such a cold order. Her icy glare reassured him. With a pain-filled look of regret, he took aim at his friend’s tail.

“Inferno, fly up and keep using Dragon Rage! Don’t let this pushover get you!!” The Charizard’s trainer growled contemptuously. Glancing at his childhood friend, he followed his trainer’s orders.
But it was too late.
Blastoise unleashed his final Hydro Pump. Charizard’s eyes widened with shock as the powerful torrent was unleashed upon the flame at the end of his tail. As he hurdled towards the floor beneath him, his life flashed before his eyes. He was taken back to his innocent childhood for one last time, and went out of this world in his friend’s arms.

Blastoise turned upon his owner, who was celebrating her success, as if she hadn’t known what she’d done. The Charizard’s trainer rushed over to her Pokemon.
“Inferno??” She asked, attempting to hold his head in her arms. “I-Inferno….?”

The Blastoise’s trainer looked over at her friend. “Something wrong?”
“He’s not getting up…”
“Wh-what?!” The Blastoise’s trainer rushed over to her. “What the hell are you talking about, Tori? It was just a critical hit…right…?”
Tori shook her head. Putting her head in her arms, she allowed herself to scream. Eyes widening in shock, her friend backed away slowly.
“N-No…” She gaped. “NO!!”

Her Blastoise held her in place with his powerful arms, causing her to let out a yelp of surprise. But she had no time to cry for help. With a loud crack, her own Pokemon had snapped his trainer in half, avenging his friend.

-x-

There is said to be an old woman living by herself on one of the three islands near Kanto who can teach special, powerful attacks, but only to starter Pokemon. Particularly, the Kanto starters. Some say she does this in memory of her friends from many years ago. But it’s a rumor on a small island. Who knows if it’s true. After all, lots of people start rumors about things they don’t understand.

And a picture from the tumblr as well:
tumblrl9badin8nd1qd0iss.png

MasterSceptile

Anyone gotta creepy pasta that happens in the pokemon world itself?

There are plenty, including the Purgatory story that was posted on the same page as your post. :/

In case you guys didn't already know, one of Shandera's moves is named Purgatory. Just in case you're wondering where the title came from.

And honestly, I'm going with Ara's idea, just because I can't think of anything else.

Here's one from the DA group:

Fifty Below Zero

She wasn't sure how it happened. One minute, her ski group had been just one step ahead of her and the next minute, they had gone so far ahead and she could no longer see them among the white glare. She stood alone with her ski poles and the skis still strapped to her boots, cursing her luck. Of course, she HAD to get distracted by an adorable herd of Piplup, Prinplup and Empoleon. She HAD to stop and stare at the magnificence of the leader Empoleon's long horns and sleek appearance. Her momentary distraction had separated her from the group, who had no idea she wasn't paying attention.

But she wasn't worried. Not much. Sure it was very cold. And sure there were reports that a blizzard would blow in within a few hours. But her group wouldn't forget about her, right? Once they noticed she was missing, they would send out a search team. A sleigh would be towed by a fine team of Arcanines who braved the cold with their fires and used their keen sense of smell to find lost people and bring them back to a safe shelter. Once she was rescued, she would be back by the fire and joking about it with her friends. She was sure they would tease her about her wandering attention and say she had the attention span of a Skitty. The incident would be forgotten and they would be off on another ski trip tomorrow.

So really, there was nothing to worry about.

Right?

&-&-&-&

The wind was really beginning to pick up. There was no way she could get a fire going to keep her warm or to make a signal. It would just blow out right away. The snowflakes pelted her face and she wished she had something to cover her face up with. At the rate the wind was blowing, it would take longer for the search team to find her. Scents usually remained in the snow and Arcanines weren't so easily tricked. But if the snow was blown in another direction, they might follow the wind and miss her completely.

The blizzard was definitely starting.

But she remained optimistic. If she could find the direction her group was headed, maybe she could make it easier for the Arcanines to find her. She had been in the same place she was before so her group could retrace their steps and find where they had lost her. But staying in the same spot wasn't working. Now she had to get moving. She was starting to get very cold, even though she had bundled up properly before heading out. The temperatures were dropping rapidly now and movement might be her only possible way of keeping warm.

So she grabbed her ski poles and began walking.

&-&-&-&

Which way was the lodge? The blizzard had begun to blow so hard and limiting her visibility. She had been walking for two hours and she still hadn't gotten anywhere. There was also no sign of the search team or any rescue pokemon.

She shivered. It was way too cold now. This was the kind of weather where spit would freeze before hitting the ground. It was also getting dark, which added to her fears. Search teams would brave blizzards in the day to help people but they never pursued a search in darkness.

She didn't know what to do.

If only there was some sort of shelter somewhere...like a cave or a bunch of trees that could shield her from the wind. She could spend the night huddled up and try and sleep a bit. The blizzard would pass and she would have more visibility to try and find her way down. As it was, she couldn't see two feet in front of her face.

It was so cold.

Defeated by the elements, she settled down near some trees and hoped someone would find her soon. She crossed her arms in front of her, pulled her hat down as far as she could and closed her eyes.

The blistering cold would make sure she would never open them again.

&-&-&-&

It was late in the afternoon when they found her. Her features were caked with frost and her skin was blue. She was frozen to the touch and any efforts to rouse her were futile. She was dead.

A terrible accident, they said. A woman lost in the mountains had frozen to death in the plunging cold. The rescue team was sorry they couldn't find her in time and nothing could soften the blow to her friends and family.

They had no idea the woman would have her revenge.

You were too late.

Three months after the woman had died, the rescue team were out in the snow to train some new Growlithes and Arcanines. The lodge was closed to visitors since the woman's death (skiers had started looking into safer places to ski and hardly anyone trusted the people who ran the lodge anymore). The lodge owner had publicly blamed his emergency search team and called their Arcanines 'worthless mutts'. Now the search team was forced to train new dogs all over again.

"Mush!"

"Sniff!"

"Find!"

"Howl!"

"Halt!"

They had passed the same spot where the dead woman was found. Many of the searchers shuddered and felt a deep sadness whenever they saw that one particular tree (now hosting a cross to pay tribute to the dead woman). The dogs had a different reaction. They suddenly came to a stop and started barking at something.

"Hey, what's going on? What's up, fellas?" the musher said. He tried to get the dogs to move but they stayed frozen to the spot. The lead ones were growling and backing up, their hairs on their back standing straight up.

You were too late. I depended on you. You let me down and left me to die.

A gust of wind blew some snowflakes in (odd, considering it was a clear day) and the air suddenly got colder. The dogs' barking got louder and louder and a figure appeared in the middle of the blowing wind. From where the musher stood, it seemed to be a creature that resembled a woman wearing a kimono. What scared him was she seemed to be floating instead of walking and she was headed right for him.

A blast of cold air washed over his team of dogs and they stopped barking. Another blast was all it took to freeze them solid. The musher stood still, paralyzed with fear. He tried to urge his dogs to move, hoping their inner fires would thaw the frost, but he got no response.

The creature was much closer to him now. He could see her clearly. Her eyes were ablaze with hatred and evil. She opened her mouth and one more blast of cold air left her body. The musher had no time to scream before he was frozen solid.

&-&-&-&

No one dares to go near that haunted spot anymore. Not only did a woman die up there but people say that the team that was training and had disappeared are still up there, frozen in time and rooted to the spot.

They say that, if you do venture up there, you can hear a woman laughing in a mocking way. She will invite you to come closer to see her lovely display.

It's beautiful. So beautiful.

Won't you come and see...

...my lovely prey?

http://triforcemythholder.deviantart.com/art/Fifty-Below-Zero-180495129

Here's one from the DA group:

Fifty Below Zero

She wasn't sure how it happened. One minute, her ski group had been just one step ahead of her and the next minute, they had gone so far ahead and she could no longer see them among the white glare. She stood alone with her ski poles and the skis still strapped to her boots, cursing her luck. Of course, she HAD to get distracted by an adorable herd of Piplup, Prinplup and Empoleon. She HAD to stop and stare at the magnificence of the leader Empoleon's long horns and sleek appearance. Her momentary distraction had separated her from the group, who had no idea she wasn't paying attention.

But she wasn't worried. Not much. Sure it was very cold. And sure there were reports that a blizzard would blow in within a few hours. But her group wouldn't forget about her, right? Once they noticed she was missing, they would send out a search team. A sleigh would be towed by a fine team of Arcanines who braved the cold with their fires and used their keen sense of smell to find lost people and bring them back to a safe shelter. Once she was rescued, she would be back by the fire and joking about it with her friends. She was sure they would tease her about her wandering attention and say she had the attention span of a Skitty. The incident would be forgotten and they would be off on another ski trip tomorrow.

So really, there was nothing to worry about.

Right?

&-&-&-&

The wind was really beginning to pick up. There was no way she could get a fire going to keep her warm or to make a signal. It would just blow out right away. The snowflakes pelted her face and she wished she had something to cover her face up with. At the rate the wind was blowing, it would take longer for the search team to find her. Scents usually remained in the snow and Arcanines weren't so easily tricked. But if the snow was blown in another direction, they might follow the wind and miss her completely.

The blizzard was definitely starting.

But she remained optimistic. If she could find the direction her group was headed, maybe she could make it easier for the Arcanines to find her. She had been in the same place she was before so her group could retrace their steps and find where they had lost her. But staying in the same spot wasn't working. Now she had to get moving. She was starting to get very cold, even though she had bundled up properly before heading out. The temperatures were dropping rapidly now and movement might be her only possible way of keeping warm.

So she grabbed her ski poles and began walking.

&-&-&-&

Which way was the lodge? The blizzard had begun to blow so hard and limiting her visibility. She had been walking for two hours and she still hadn't gotten anywhere. There was also no sign of the search team or any rescue pokemon.

She shivered. It was way too cold now. This was the kind of weather where spit would freeze before hitting the ground. It was also getting dark, which added to her fears. Search teams would brave blizzards in the day to help people but they never pursued a search in darkness.

She didn't know what to do.

If only there was some sort of shelter somewhere...like a cave or a bunch of trees that could shield her from the wind. She could spend the night huddled up and try and sleep a bit. The blizzard would pass and she would have more visibility to try and find her way down. As it was, she couldn't see two feet in front of her face.

It was so cold.

Defeated by the elements, she settled down near some trees and hoped someone would find her soon. She crossed her arms in front of her, pulled her hat down as far as she could and closed her eyes.

The blistering cold would make sure she would never open them again.

&-&-&-&

It was late in the afternoon when they found her. Her features were caked with frost and her skin was blue. She was frozen to the touch and any efforts to rouse her were futile. She was dead.

A terrible accident, they said. A woman lost in the mountains had frozen to death in the plunging cold. The rescue team was sorry they couldn't find her in time and nothing could soften the blow to her friends and family.

They had no idea the woman would have her revenge.

You were too late.

Three months after the woman had died, the rescue team were out in the snow to train some new Growlithes and Arcanines. The lodge was closed to visitors since the woman's death (skiers had started looking into safer places to ski and hardly anyone trusted the people who ran the lodge anymore). The lodge owner had publicly blamed his emergency search team and called their Arcanines 'worthless mutts'. Now the search team was forced to train new dogs all over again.

"Mush!"

"Sniff!"

"Find!"

"Howl!"

"Halt!"

They had passed the same spot where the dead woman was found. Many of the searchers shuddered and felt a deep sadness whenever they saw that one particular tree (now hosting a cross to pay tribute to the dead woman). The dogs had a different reaction. They suddenly came to a stop and started barking at something.

"Hey, what's going on? What's up, fellas?" the musher said. He tried to get the dogs to move but they stayed frozen to the spot. The lead ones were growling and backing up, their hairs on their back standing straight up.

You were too late. I depended on you. You let me down and left me to die.

A gust of wind blew some snowflakes in (odd, considering it was a clear day) and the air suddenly got colder. The dogs' barking got louder and louder and a figure appeared in the middle of the blowing wind. From where the musher stood, it seemed to be a creature that resembled a woman wearing a kimono. What scared him was she seemed to be floating instead of walking and she was headed right for him.

A blast of cold air washed over his team of dogs and they stopped barking. Another blast was all it took to freeze them solid. The musher stood still, paralyzed with fear. He tried to urge his dogs to move, hoping their inner fires would thaw the frost, but he got no response.

The creature was much closer to him now. He could see her clearly. Her eyes were ablaze with hatred and evil. She opened her mouth and one more blast of cold air left her body. The musher had no time to scream before he was frozen solid.

&-&-&-&

No one dares to go near that haunted spot anymore. Not only did a woman die up there but people say that the team that was training and had disappeared are still up there, frozen in time and rooted to the spot.

They say that, if you do venture up there, you can hear a woman laughing in a mocking way. She will invite you to come closer to see her lovely display.

It's beautiful. So beautiful.

Won't you come and see...

...my lovely prey?

http://triforcemythholder.deviantart.com/art/Fifty-Below-Zero-180495129

Wow. Just wow. Now that was some good creepypasta, especially the last line, very chilling. Not one I'll soon foget.

but its not a pokemon one

the only pokemon i can think of is frolass

Uh... it's set in the pokemon world and it's based on how a is frosslass created. How is it not pokemon? :/ Just because it doesn't have 100 pokemon in it doesn't mean it's not a pokemon creepypasta. You're being ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom