• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Customization

Reaction score
In X and Y we were introduced to a relatively new concept, with the pokémon Furfrou.

Now, Furfrou could recieve nine different styles, These would show up even in battle.

With the new idea of customization of characters, why not do the same with all Pokémon?

Imagine your cute little Buneary with a Ribbon around it's ear, and a heart pin stuck onto it!
Or even your cool Scraggy with a hat on it's head!

We've also seen this in contests/musicals. I don't see why some of these accessory items can't pass over to our pokémon.

It's pretty gimmicky, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

I think it could really make your Pokémon stand out, among the waves of clones. With different Gourgiest sizes, Furfrou haircuts, I think anything is possible.

I would enjoy that a little too much. Considering how much I baby/spoil my Automaton horde, I'd have to have different accessories for them so that they would all look like the individuals they are. One might get a bow tie--cause bow ties are cool--while another might get a monocle....

Yeah, this would be worse than Pokemon-Amie for me. But I'd love every moment of it. (Imagine a Golett with big fluffy white angel wings and try not to die of the cuteness.)

I always wanted there to be a way for me to visually distinguish my pokemon from others, so I think this would be a great idea. However, I have high doubts in GF's willingness to implement it with all the 3D rendering they'd have to do and the fact that its fairly unnecessary.

I'm 100% for this. There aren't enough game features to pay attention to Pokémon and show you love (or hate) them beyond battling, which never made sense to me. Sure, there's Amie, but that's still new and there's not exactly a lot to do there.

I want this so much, it would be so good! Would make it so you're closer to Pokemon and can give them fabulous items like they can in the anime!

Oof, I hate dressing up anything that isn't a person... so I would not like it.

However, it would be interesting if Pokémon phenotypes were more variable - for example... maybe breeding a female Eevee and a male Mareep would result in an Eevee that is.... fluffier, or maybe slightly yellower. I realize I'm ask for Pokémon genetics to happen, which I know we are a LONG way off from, but that would be really, really fun. Even wild Pokémon could vary slightly, somewhat like how Spinda does now - but instead of spot locations, the ears could be a pixel or two longer/shorter, maybe have varying eye colors, fur lengths, etc etc. This would bring a whole new level of realism to it all, and not only would our Pokémon differ by IVs and natures, they would differ somewhat visually too - the anime addresses this occasionally, such as Puka (who was a little chubby and had blue eyes) and Sparky (who had longer fur) - both were clearly Pikachu, but with little twists.

Of course, I'm sleep deprived and wishful.

This is kind of unnecessary, and sounds kind of gimmicky. Probably something that would throw quite a few hardcore fans into a rage over. And then implementing it all. There are so many variables with 700+ Pokemon, it sounds too complicated to do right.

I'm not liking the idea I already think WTH are people doing with their pet dogs and cats dressing them up all crazy. Maybe one or two little accessories for a Pokè but that's it. On the other hand I think it would be interesting thing with little personal uniqueness for a Pokèmon like different hair, skin or eye tone. I mean despite we all of the species "homo sapiens" also known as "human" we don't all look the same and I'm not talking about just our clothes and I believe I don't need to go more into it. Something like that making each Pokè of the same kind unique would be nice though. However, I'm well aware that this is very resources heavy especially with 700+ (and growing) Pokèmon but really like the idea of it.

I like that idea. I could really see myself using that besides we've similar stuff in the anime so why not in the games? You know I think they could something like that for mega stones just like in the anime.

Meh. How about we just bring back ball capsules, especially with contests coming back soon?

I probably wouldn't use it myself but why not

I would like to see something like this, but only to a certian extent like two or three items that your 'mons can wear for that little bit of uniqueness but not going overbored like the dogs in sweaters thing (or whatever the f*** people put on animials against their will nowadays.) Also, I would like to see the 'Pokemon varying by location' idea, but I would also like to see something akin to the Furfrou idea for all Pokemon (to a certian extent,) like, say, being able to change the colour/style of a Zoroark's head fur or a Sylven's 'bows' (and, yes, I know, 3D models and all that, but it could happen in the distant future.)

What about Pokemon wearing jackets or raincoats?

That seems a bit silly to be honest, giving Pokémon clothing. For one thing, it's difficult to model clothes for differently modeled characters, and there are a LOT of Pokémon that could have a jacket. A scarf or a bow would be understandable, as for one thing, it isn't as intrusive and is easier to model around the Pokémon model, but jackets and raincoats would simply be not only impractical, but hard to model.

That said, allowing held items to be seen, like the Choice Scarf/Specs/Band would make much more sense, and considering the shape of the items, they'd be easier to model around the Pokémon.

Now I think about it I would only like to see scarfs, bows and hats added. Actually clothing would look weird. And it would have to look right on certain Pokemon and shouldn't be compulsory as I personally like the natural looking Furfrou as it looks so fluffy... I like fluffy things ok?

I personally agree with brigning back the ball capsuls. They were fun! And it'd be nice to have even more options. I think having items on your Pokemon would be a bit much. Although, having more variation in patterns would be a neat addition as was also mentioned. I think they could do it by attaching certian features to IVs. For example, a Vulpix with a 25 IV in speed could have darker paws than one with an IV of 10 in speed. Or something like that. Could be neat.

I personally would prefer that they would continue expanding trainer customization. For example if your trainer could wear glasses I would be really happy. But as far as the topic at hand I think it would be neat if Pokemon could have different patterns, like a previous poster suggested. I don't think it would be too difficult. They could tie certain patterns to IVs. For example, a Vulpix with a higher speed IV could have darker foot patches. Or something like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom