• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon designs everyone detests but you don’t mind

PageEmperor

Reaction score
What it says. I doesn’t have to be a design you like, just something that everyone seems to rage over but you don’t see the big deal.

I would presonally go for Stunfis this time. I wouldn’t say I like the design, but the whole flat electrical trap deal is actually very creative amd it doesn’t look that bad in general at all.

• Many say Seel and Dewgong are the least inspired of all Gen I Pokemon, but I think they're okay, the horn and the white color at least amount to something,
  • Jynx. While I agree she could've been better designed and had better Ice-type representation, she's memorable and not as boring as Voltorb, Digglet or Rattata.
  • Shiftry: It's true to its inspiration, and the hair makes it quite badass.
  • Regis: Some say they look otherwordly or too direct, but that's the point! I like the robot aesthetic a lot. Opinions about them have improved since Regieleki became a beast in competitive, though.
  • Ambipom (Thanks Lockstin...). yeah, the tails are weird but the anime made me impossible to hate it.
  • Unova monkeys. The only one I'd say looks uncanny is Simipour, who compensates it with a hippie attitude, and the others are simple and fun.
  • Vanillite is meh and Vaniluxe is okay, I actually like their colors. Vanilluxe has no excuse though.
  • Quilladin: I have a soft spot for chubby mons and its body makes some sense based on its biology.
  • Crabominable (Thanks Lockstin again...) or should I say Crabadorable. The concept is well executed and it looks cool.
  • Bruxish: It's a diva tropical fish! I feel it'd be better received if it had an evolution.
  • Stonjouner: I don't get why some people say this is the most forgettable mon in Gen 8 when Pincurchin exists or the ugliest when Greedent exists. It was one of the first returning mons in SV to be shown for a reason!
  • Enamorus: While the bar was extremely low, it's definitely the best looking Kami and the one with the most creative personality and powers.
  • Mega Heracross: It's a buff beetle with more colors, what else you expected?

• Mega Heracross: It's a buff beetle with more colors, what else you expected?
To look as good as the original? Regular Heracross is one of the best designed Bug types and its Mega looks like a garden gnome.

I guess Hariyama for me. Being great in Doubles definitely helped.

Last edited:
To look as good as the original? Regular Heracross is one of the best designed Bug types and its Mega looks like a garden gnome.
I agree. It’s just a big buff for Heracross, but both the original and the Mega look great. One of my favorites.

Also Chikorita doesn’t seem to be bad as I really like its final evo. I know it’s the most forgettable starter out of all, but who asked people to do something like “send that crybaby Chikorita to hell”?
C3C9DBB5-8DDB-4B56-865F-A37A6918ABE4.jpeg

I remember people making a big fuss over Garbodor and Trubbish back when Gen V first came out, but I like their designs. They're trash Pokémon! How could you not love them? Vanilluxe also got some complaints, but I think the the line is very cute. It's one of my favorite Ice types for sure. In general, Gen V's designs were criticized pretty harshly, but I like the unique flair that generation brought to the table with its Pokémon designs.

I'm not sure if Purugly was ever hated (seems moreso that it was forgotten), but considering it has "ugly" in its name, it clearly wasn't intended to be appealing. I love Purugly though! Its my favorite Pokémon of all time.

There's probably a ton of other designs out there that were/are hated on, but those are the ones I can think up off the top of my head.

I remember people making a big fuss over Garbodor and Trubbish back when Gen V first came out, but I like their designs. They're trash Pokémon! How could you not love them? Vanilluxe also got some complaints, but I think the the line is very cute. It's one of my favorite Ice types for sure. In general, Gen V's designs were criticized pretty harshly, but I like the unique flair that generation brought to the table with its Pokémon designs.
Unfairly harshly too considering people were defending their precious Gen 1, when said generation has a literal pile of living sludge and a ball with eyes for designs.

Ledian - a cute half alien half ladybug. It's definitely not just a random bug mon like people seem to think just because it doesn't have good stats and it appears early in the game.

Carnivine - one of my favorite Pokemon. Its design is not down right hated but people seem to find it odd.

Maractus - people think it's one of the most unremarkable Poekmon ever but the design is super fun and pretty. Nice color shades and scheme as well.

Delphox - Another one of my favorite Pokemon. People tend to like Braixen a lot and not be keen on Delphox because of the big design changes and because of all the fur but I'm the exact opposite: I don't like its pre-evo and I love Delphox and all the fur it has going on.

Fletchling - Just like in the case of Ledian and Maractus people think this is an unimpressive early mon but if you look closely you will see it has a neat understated design just like real life chaffinches (an underrated bird in my view).

Magmar - a rock n'roll chinese dragon, what's not to like? I've always been surprised this Pokemon is not more popular.

Diglett - I like the simplicity and he's cute in an understated way too.
Castform (all forms)
Unown -the design makes sense considering it's based on hieroglyphs.

Last edited:
Pretty much all of them. Design is something I take very little stock in. I just need good team members who can hold their own weight in battles, why should I care if they look silly? I have a very worthwhile Mr. Mime in my revamped post-Home Brilliant Diamond team if you'd like an example.

I don't mind any Pokémon design TBF. Each Pokémon has something interesting inspiring its design, and that alone makes me love that Pokémon irrespective of what opinions others hold of them.

Bonus points if a Pokémon's design is clever enough to hide the original inspiration into something else. For instance, Vanillite evolutionary family is actually based on icicles and yet made to resemble ice cream cones. When I found this out, I fell in love with the evolutionary line even more.

Off the top of my head:

Dhelmise. From what I've gathered, most think it's pretty underwhelming, but I feel like it has a lot of charm.

Magmortar. I only ever hear it described as being incredibly ugly but it honestly just looks really cool and endearing to me. I actually like it way more than Magmar!

Muk, Voltorb, Gastly, Exeggcute, and other Gen I designs that tend to get flak for being overly simple. I understand that a lot of the distaste for these kind of came about as a result of Gen V's Pokémon designs being undeservedly bashed at the time — but as a character designer, it really breaks my heart when well-executed simplicity is seen as lazy, uninspired, or "worse" than complexity. I just wish we could have it both ways.

It seems like a lot of people don't like Vanilluxe and that evolution line, but I think it's actually pretty cool (as a couple others have mentioned already). I think Tentacruel is also really well-designed, but a lot of people probably think it's annoying because of how often you see its pre-evolution while surfing.

trubbish and garbodor, they're cute and huggable.
the elemental monkeys are all okay. i'm not their BIGGEST fan but i find them wholly inoffensive.
i like quaquaval, our gay duck gets too much hate
enamorus is really cool looking imo

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom